Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
You could just send me money. Money is pretty dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

aldantefax posted:

With all the content you're providing, whether you paywall it or not, I imagine you could get quite a few Patreon or other such type supporters.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

GMing seems like Judging where there should be a paid position involved if they're performing labor on behalf of a game store or a company, but also a lot of people will do it for free because they want to support the community.

Paid GMing for home games is an interesting idea, but as long as maniacs are willing to perform the work for free, it's going to be hard to create a fair market for the time and effort the work entails. While the idea of doing paid GMing is interesting, the reality is that 1.) obligation would make it a job where I'd feel bad if I couldn't make the session, and 2.) I don't think I'd enjoy running the games that would be most popular (D&D 5e pregens, not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Stuff like https://startplaying.games/ seem interesting, but... ehhhhhh.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 31, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

aldantefax posted:

Same as Absurd said - at this point you've earned money, I can't even keep up with the effortposts.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Absurd Alhazred posted:

With all the content you're providing, whether you paywall it or not, I imagine you could get quite a few Patreon or other such type supporters.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Same as Absurd said - at this point you've earned money, I can't even keep up with the effortposts.

I could do that but I dunno how to get one set up, and I dunno what tiers I would set up. I think that if I did do a Patreon I'd just use the money to hire an editor to go through my ridiculous word soups that I get through? Does anybody know someone who would be willing to wade through like 50 to 80 thousand words and edit it for more public consumption? And, if so, rates??

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

aldantefax posted:

I could do that but I dunno how to get one set up, and I dunno what tiers I would set up. I think that if I did do a Patreon I'd just use the money to hire an editor to go through my ridiculous word soups that I get through? Does anybody know someone who would be willing to wade through like 50 to 80 thousand words and edit it for more public consumption? And, if so, rates??

Some people just have one tier where you're letting people support you. It doesn't necessarily have to be all "$1 to show minimal support, $5 for Discord access, $100 for exclusive weekly one-on-one GM workshops". But I'm not really familiar with it myself.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni_mSNO77Y8

This reminds me that we've never quite had a successor to Riddle of Steel

The dueling system in Burning Wheel, Fight!, is about as close as we've come AFAIK. It's very, very good, but it isn't trying to be the same level of intense simulation of actual swordplay as Riddle of Steel, and it'd be cool to see someone take that on again in the age of HEMA.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kestral posted:

The dueling system in Burning Wheel, Fight!, is about as close as we've come AFAIK. It's very, very good, but it isn't trying to be the same level of intense simulation of actual swordplay as Riddle of Steel, and it'd be cool to see someone take that on again in the age of HEMA.

Riddle of Steel was made by some total HEMA nerds, and while I like it (abstractly, never got it to a table), I actually prefer Burning Wheel's take in terms of game design.

I did HEMA before the pandemic made that impossible, but I don't think it leads to good gameplay. I just don't think having an in character ability called "Zwerchau" is good game-design. I love a crunchy system that'd promote cool swordfights, but I don't think that going into the individual techniques would help.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Edit: Misread something and typed something else that was real dumb.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Starting to scope some very silly West Marches ideas. I think I might be making Haibane Renmei the West Marches campaign?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

hyphz posted:

Also don't forget that "put up and shut up" is more of a cultural value in the UK, whether it is appropriate or not.

Plus, there’s heavily gendered events around the wars - it’s difficult to imagine how the Order of the White Feather would have gone if gender was a spectrum.

And I don’t know if the US got Emily Howard, Kenny Everett and Julian and Sandy but the UK got them all...

From a little while back, but I'm from the UK and I've never heard of anything in this post

"Put up and shut up" is not a phrase I've heard anyone, anywhere say, for example - I've heard yanks say "put up or shut up" though

There's definitely something of a culture of "politeness" in the UK, though. Like you'll have a terrible meal at a restaurant and the staff will come over and say something like, "How was your meal?" and you'll say, "Oh, very good, thanks", and then you'll leave the restaurant and while you're going down the street you'll say, "Well, I'm never going there again, that was foul"

Gort fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 31, 2021

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Tibalt posted:

GMing seems like Judging where there should be a paid position involved if they're performing labor on behalf of a game store or a company, but also a lot of people will do it for free because they want to support the community.

Paid GMing for home games is an interesting idea, but as long as maniacs are willing to perform the work for free, it's going to be hard to create a fair market for the time and effort the work entails. While the idea of doing paid GMing is interesting, the reality is that 1.) obligation would make it a job where I'd feel bad if I couldn't make the session, and 2.) I don't think I'd enjoy running the games that would be most popular (D&D 5e pregens, not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Stuff like https://startplaying.games/ seem interesting, but... ehhhhhh.

I've done paid GMing before, and it's easier then ever with Roll20, the only thing is it's good to have a podcast, or some youtube videos that show people having fun, and gives the players a feel for your GMing style, you can make quite a bit of money if you're down for it. I was making close to 200 -> 300 dollars a month, and while I rarely got to run what I wanted, I played with the source material a lot, and people would get excited and tell their friends about cool experiences they had doing a few sessions of a adventure module or something. There's also groups of people who just don't want to GM. A lot of these people for whatever reason will pay good money. There are also groups with people who are not confident they can run the game, because none of them have ever played it before. So they'll pay you to GM it, with the expectation that at the end of however many sessions they booked, they will have some mastery of the system and can play it by themselves.

Now, the really good money is in 18+ games, but you have to hate yourself to do that, because gamers are hosed up little gremlins wrapped in a whole host of issues that only a therapist can fix. I've made 200$ off of one 18+ game, but it was gross af, and I won't get into the details unless people want to hear it.

I would do little to no prep for these, because I was only getting paid to DM the session, if it was an adventurers module, I'd like read the book for the basic gist of stuff, but largely most of the stuff happened in game, by engaging players, asking very good questions, and pushing them to come up with their own answers for things.

Imo, the best kind of puzzle is the one where the third thing they try is the correct answer.

E: My personal games on the other hand I love to draw, and do prep, and make interesting encounters with cool gimmicks, I'll teach myself scripts to introduce my NPCs and will have these big mind webs that show what's going on, and I fill in more and more details as the game goes on.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 31, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Do not copypaste the grognards.txt post about running paid games at a "public eatery," do not copypaste the grognards.txt post about running paid games at a "public eatery,"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Counterpoint: Do

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Boba Pearl posted:

I've done paid GMing before, and it's easier then ever with Roll20, the only thing is it's good to have a podcast, or some youtube videos that show people having fun, and gives the players a feel for your GMing style, you can make quite a bit of money if you're down for it. I was making close to 200 -> 300 dollars a month, and while I rarely got to run what I wanted, I played with the source material a lot, and people would get excited and tell their friends about cool experiences they had doing a few sessions of a adventure module or something. There's also groups of people who just don't want to GM. A lot of these people for whatever reason will pay good money. There are also groups with people who are not confident they can run the game, because none of them have ever played it before. So they'll pay you to GM it, with the expectation that at the end of however many sessions they booked, they will have some mastery of the system and can play it by themselves.

Now, the really good money is in 18+ games, but you have to hate yourself to do that, because gamers are hosed up little gremlins wrapped in a whole host of issues that only a therapist can fix. I've made 200$ off of one 18+ game, but it was gross af, and I won't get into the details unless people want to hear it.

I would do little to no prep for these, because I was only getting paid to DM the session, if it was an adventurers module, I'd like read the book for the basic gist of stuff, but largely most of the stuff happened in game, by engaging players, asking very good questions, and pushing them to come up with their own answers for things.

Imo, the best kind of puzzle is the one where the third thing they try is the correct answer.

E: My personal games on the other hand I love to draw, and do prep, and make interesting encounters with cool gimmicks, I'll teach myself scripts to introduce my NPCs and will have these big mind webs that show what's going on, and I fill in more and more details as the game goes on.

This is actually some pretty interesting insights, I know some people who also do the pro-DM thing and they have also run games at companies as team building exercises or recreational stuff. The place I work at does have people they sign up to run games as an event type thing but I think the majority of people globally don't sign up for it.

The 18+ games comment is also kind of similar to how the creative space is from folks I used to know that grinded out the Artist's Alley at conventions like anime and game conventions. Lucrative, but a highly mixed bag.

I'd love to hear about the very good questions some time!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Do I need Trophy Dark to understand Trophy Gold?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I still want to hear about the Monte Cook Google story :allears:

Gort posted:

From a little while back, but I'm from the UK and I've never heard of anything in this post

The Order of the White Feather was the source of the infamous story about how during the World Wars, women would give male-appearing civilians white feathers or secretly pin them to their clothes as a sign of cowardice - actually a deliberately incited movement. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it as certainly when I was growing up everyone had, and it was still mentioned a lot in History classes. But it does give a hard gender distinction - obviously someone who argued that they should be giving out feathers rather than recieving one would be very unlikely to be well recieved.

The listed names were all comedians who made fun of effeminate or homosexual men and were known at the time. Emily Howard, especially, was a character on Little Britain - a very popular show for a while - a negative stereotype of a trans woman who achieved meme status for a little while (although some made the excuse that she wasn't a trans woman but a clueless trans woman, but I don't think that's how anyone took it) . Warning: Googling anything related to that character is likely to turn up seriously offensive stuff.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I wanna hear both the Monte Cook google story and about the 18+ paid GMing gig, but you don't need to go into super detail if it might upset someone. I'm just curious if it was banal "I want to roll to seduce the prince. No don't fade tp black here!" or closer to "have you ever heard of this really cool system called FATAL?" You don't need to go into detail, especially on gross stuff people might have trouble stomaching.

That goes for both Monte Cook and the 18+ paid GM gig.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
18+ DM stories: so anyway, they started blastin’

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Found an interesting Patron on the Wicked Ones discord channel.

Epic Isometric is the Patreon where you can purchase premade isometric maps with monsters and hero packs. Given everyone is social distancing I figured these would be useful for online play.

https://www.patreon.com/epicisometric

The Wicked Ones is a Forged in the Dark game modeled off of Dungeon Keeper. You design and draw out your dungeon and attack the Overworld as vile fantasy monsters. I'm 80 pages in and it is very good.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/338480/Wicked-Ones

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

DalaranJ posted:

Do I need Trophy Dark to understand Trophy Gold?

Not at all

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

aldantefax posted:

18+ DM stories: so anyway, they started blastin’

I'm nigh invulnerable when I'm 18+!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Helical Nightmares posted:

Epic Isometric is the Patreon where you can purchase premade isometric maps with monsters and hero packs.
I still cannot figure out how in the blue gently caress you're supposed to use an isometric map for a tabletop game.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ceros_X posted:

Can anyone give some tips about finding a good paid DM? My existing group has been together for 6 years or so and we've taken turns DMing and running different campaigns etc. Now we're all looking to play together and are willing to pay like $20-25 a session etc. Platform is DnD 5E and we currently use a lot of Fantasy Grounds stuff. Where have you had good luck finding a DM and how have you identified the good ones? Any tips? Expanding our group in the past has proven problematic (we are pretty serious and arrange schedules to make sure we are able to play - work, wedding attendance, moves etc) so I'm worried that finding a DM will be difficult as well. Thanks!

You could see if roll20 has any postings, maybe? Or ask local Facebook groups or put a posting in nearby game stores to see if anyone's interested in it? $25.00 seems a bit low for a per-session rate, particularly if you're doing longer than 4 hour sessions, and that's only factoring in the in-person work they're doing and not any pre-game prep they need to do. You might just need to deal with one of you rotating GM roles, and you could foot them some money for it to make up for all the work they're having to do while not being a PC.

Froghammer posted:

Does this thread know about the Monte Cook Google story? When I get off work I'm gonna give you all the Monte Cook Google story

:frogon:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

One would hope that's 20-25 per player per session.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nuns with Guns posted:

You could see if roll20 has any postings, maybe?
roll20 postings are the Mos Eisley of the RPG world, and I say this as someone who trawled their LFG postings for several years. If you go in with the attitude of "worst case I get a story to tell the cat-piss thread, best case I find a real group to play with" you'll be fine, but you will also walk away with nothing but stories.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Yawgmoth posted:

roll20 postings are the Mos Eisley of the RPG world, and I say this as someone who trawled their LFG postings for several years. If you go in with the attitude of "worst case I get a story to tell the cat-piss thread, best case I find a real group to play with" you'll be fine, but you will also walk away with nothing but stories.

Oh, I don't think it's a good option unless you want a hilarious interview montage of 30 people who all pitch their various fantasy epics and hyper-specific roleplay fixations at you, but I couldn't think of an online aggregator that wouldn't end up in the same boat, except with at least a small chance to find someone sane on a 0 00 roll of the d100 from sheer population size.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

theironjef posted:

One would hope that's 20-25 per player per session.

Now I'm thinking 'who didn't kick in for pizza' becoming 'who didn't kick in for the GM.'

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is unsafe at any speed.

Working Daze is a repeat.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix got a little off-topic here.

Cul De Sac flies too close to the sun.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Sir this is a tabletop thread.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oops.

Still, this is more than I've been posting around here lately so I'm going to leave it to pad my numbers.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I love Cul De Sac and Richard Thompson's diagnosis of Parkinson's and later passing were really tragic.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If you want something current that really feels like Richard Thompson, might I suggest Wallace the Brave?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Dinette Set is unsafe at any speed.

This feels like a political cartoon, but the instructions about which senator's names to label on the T-shirts got mixed up...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

KingKalamari posted:

This feels like a political cartoon, but the instructions about which senator's names to label on the T-shirts got mixed up...
Dinette Set is (well, was; it's in repeats) written by someone who loving HATES midwestern white trash.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I use to see Dinette Set at least weekly for years. I have never ever seen one that made sense or was funny.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I wanted to go to sleep early but then I stayed up and had half a pack of ramen, and for some reason I started looking at zithers and came across the ajaeng:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-alTu2ooh0

The percussion + the entire arrangement but especially the 1st and 3rd movements are very Conan the Barbarian OST feeling, or alternatley, Runequest and similar feeling. Wind swept plains, a journey over the wide open sky, the passing of the sun, moon and stars, very dramatic piece!

I have contemplated a tabletop RPGs music thread. I think considering entire genres and countless hours and bands have been dedicated to recanting their elfgames I'm surprised there isn't actually one yet.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Also to follow up on this I set up a ko-fi thing but I dunno where to promote it so once I figure that out, I will get to promotin’

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

aldantefax posted:

I have contemplated a tabletop RPGs music thread. I think considering entire genres and countless hours and bands have been dedicated to recanting their elfgames I'm surprised there isn't actually one yet.
I would propose this thread but with a slightly different mission: It is intended for sharing or requesting soundtracks with a certain mood or theme, as well as sharing stuff like Hyddyn Sceptrye's tale of the wizards and the elves with the witches.

You would also need ground rules of some kind... I think youtube links or Spotify-compatible artist/track listings would be good for general stuff, as well as other sites such as Bandcamp and so on. At some point this may be bordering into :files: but I am not sure where the border would be...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah you'd have to tighten it some cause otherwise it would just be people posting their favorite Clutch songs or whatever. Which is fine and cool, but not helpful.

And I say that as someone who would immediately poo poo-post so much French-Canadian folk music.

Edit cause I should finish my coffee before I try to English.