Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Any good mods/grips/additions for the g2 out yet for me to waste money on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Vakal posted:

Is it possible to stream 180°/360° videos through Virtual Desktop?

Every time I try I just get regular 3D mode like I'm watching something on a screen.

I'm using VLC player though so maybe that is the problem and there is a better program to use.

Yep. Get devr player off steam. It's free and works perfectly for this stuff.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Bigsteve posted:

Yep. Get devr player off steam. It's free and works perfectly for this stuff.

Little typo there might make it hard for you to find - It’s Deo VR player. And it’s really great, seconded.

Grashnak posted:

I've got the AMVR grips on my quest 2 and they work fine. I'm not a huge fan of the strap though, the top mounting point is slightly too far forward so the strap sits right on top of my knuckles which I don't love. My hands are probably on the larger end of things though, if you have smaller hands the straps may well be fine. They're also a little bit stiff to get pushed on all the way but they do fit fine.

Thank you for the info! I’m a little unclear though - is this the AMVR grip made for Quest 1 that they now say “works” for quest 2 or is this the AMVR grip designed specifically for quest 2? Also, are the straps mandatory? Can you just use the grip with the Velcro ring attachment to increase the thickness for large hand havers?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Goodguy3 posted:

I know this isn't really a fair comparison but I'm a little torn between getting either Into the Radius VR or trying Tales of Glory.

On one hand, I like the idea of STALKER in VR, on the other, I also really like the idea of Mount and Blade in VR.
I know both games have their jank.

I've also tried the demo for Tales of Glory and it...felt kinda unpolished as Hell? But like, another part of me is thinking that the demo must be a very old version of it and maybe the full game is improved?

Like these two games can't really be any more different in setting and tone and all that, but I'm curious if either one has any super glaring flaws that might inform a decision here?

I haven't heard of tales of glory until now and holy poo poo I really want this. I do have Into the Radius but I stopped right after doing the tutorial cause I was updating my vr stuff, should get back into it

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

Leal posted:

I haven't heard of tales of glory until now and holy poo poo I really want this. I do have Into the Radius but I stopped right after doing the tutorial cause I was updating my vr stuff, should get back into it

Yeah, it LOOKS really cool but the demo is kinda..ehh and unpolished? At the same time I'm not so certain that it's indicative of the whole game though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ven VR is out. Reviews are positive in Steam
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1139310/Ven_VR_Adventure/

Also in Viveport Infinity

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Woah, once you get into Gold ranking, Blaston is a different game! Some people are really good, and it makes you sweat in a few minutes. In fact, Oculus Move really isn't make the best job in guessing calories spent, because 10 minutes of playing Blaston tires me more than 15 minutes of Beat Saber, and still it gives me less calories than not 15, but 10 minutes of BS. Crouching to the ground and jumping around with the full body is more complete excercise than just flailing around your arms.

BTW, I love how creative you can get with the VR equivalent of victory dances/dancing emotes. You can not talk in the game, there is no mic, but you still can express yourself by amusing gestures like:
spinning around
egyptian dance
thumbs up or down
shaking the head
hands to the groin
fist bump
hands to the head
etc. You get the idea.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

Ven VR is out. Reviews are positive in Steam
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1139310/Ven_VR_Adventure/

Also in Viveport Infinity

That looks really cool, and I love how much they want you to know that the villain of this cartoon fantasy world is called Bruce Nelson, like some kind of evil middle manager.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Enderzero posted:

Thank you for the info! I’m a little unclear though - is this the AMVR grip made for Quest 1 that they now say “works” for quest 2 or is this the AMVR grip designed specifically for quest 2? Also, are the straps mandatory? Can you just use the grip with the Velcro ring attachment to increase the thickness for large hand havers?

I've got these ones specifically which I think is the quest 1 version. The straps are a separate piece that you need to install so you can just leave them off if you want.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

SirTagz posted:

Thanks! Looks useful. But I did not see any FPS overlay or something like that in there. Do you just pull up your regular screen and look at the SteamVR refresh rate number?

Perfect, thanks!

OVR Toolkit has a little box you can tick to add fps and cpu/gpu/memory/vram percentages onto your back of the hand display, but it's more a tool for making windows (discord) pop up in VR when you want them to.

fpsVR looks like this

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there anything like that for oculus games, or is that only a steam thing?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there anything like that for oculus games, or is that only a steam thing?

Oculus Debug Tool:
https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/native/pc/dg-debug-tool/

Everything under the HUD dropdown can give you roughly the same information.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Marxalot posted:

OVR Toolkit has a little box you can tick to add fps and cpu/gpu/memory/vram percentages onto your back of the hand display, but it's more a tool for making windows (discord) pop up in VR when you want them to.

fpsVR looks like this

fpsVR is easily worth the few bucks it costs. Very convenient way to get this info, versus the less elegant free methods.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Playing elite dangerous in steamVR (index) with hotas, whats the easiest way to get a screen in my ship for netflix or discord or somethign?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Skyarb posted:

Playing elite dangerous in steamVR (index) with hotas, whats the easiest way to get a screen in my ship for netflix or discord or somethign?

OVR Toolkit is what you want

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I was having a pretty good game of Population One and then I got killed by the number one kills overall player who plays 16 hours a day. At least I did some damage to him! In, say, Fortnite, that would not be the case.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Enderzero posted:

I was having a pretty good game of Population One and then I got killed by the number one kills overall player who plays 16 hours a day. At least I did some damage to him! In, say, Fortnite, that would not be the case.

Vapelifeyo? Nice

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Room VR was decent, it continues the trend of the series of being less and less the type of game that the original The Room was, though

I did like the last segment having some little revisits to old Room locations

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
the only The Room game I want for VR is Silent Hill 4: The Room... then again I would probably be too chickenshit to play it. Even LambdaVR is a bit too freaky

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 1, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The 7th Guest posted:

The Room VR was decent, it continues the trend of the series of being less and less the type of game that the original The Room was, though

I did like the last segment having some little revisits to old Room locations

The original games seem like they'd be perfect for VR, especially after playing The Room VR. The first game would be pretty much perfect for a Roomscale experience with teleport points.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Vapelifeyo? Nice

Yep! I’ve been watching him here and there and figuring out some useful pointers while ignoring his bog standard abrasive high skill persona.

Also picked up Blaston and I’m gonna be surprised if this doesn’t blow up a little. Great mechanics with balance updates every month or faster, quick games, a non toxic community. Easy to learn with a high skill ceiling, it has enough weapons and load outs you build up to keep it fresh, and as I mentioned the meta is evolving at a good taste. On top of that it’s the second best workout game I’ve found (though I basically only look for games that are a good workout, not workout focused apps) after Thrill of the Fight.

And it’s only $10. Why aren’t you trying it? Go on, git!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Until You Fall rules, god drat. It's real satisfying going in with some upgraded weapons and just tossing dudes left and right that you used to have trouble with.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So I got the replacement facial interface from Oculus, and it's definitely more comfortable than the rash-inducing foam, but pleather doesn't soak up sweat, so it also doesn't stop the lenses from fogging up. Are there any good third party alternatives?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So I got the replacement facial interface from Oculus, and it's definitely more comfortable than the rash-inducing foam, but pleather doesn't soak up sweat, so it also doesn't stop the lenses from fogging up. Are there any good third party alternatives?

Not absorbing sweat means it's much easier to clean in the long-run and doesn't turn foul.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

You could get a silicon cover from vrcover.com or someplace like that. It won't absorb any sweat but it may do a good job keeping sweat out. I got a silicon cover for my index for visitors and/or people wearing makeup.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'll second the silicon cover. It makes wiping down the mask way easier.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Sounds like the VR Cover. I bought one, it's fine, slightly more comfortable but yeah, fogs up just as much as the standard one and also leaves me with vertical lines on my forehead where the pleather is bent.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not absorbing sweat means it's much easier to clean in the long-run and doesn't turn foul.

I don't mind that, you can detach the plate so it's pretty easy to give it a quick hand wash. I'll see what I can find.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Its a bit of a catch-22. You can get a more moisture resistant insert but youll be prone to more fogging...

People on the Supernatural Facebook(!!!!) group have reported good results with getting their mask warm prior to using it, and other more adventurous people have rubbed soap on the lenses which they claim works well. I dont recommend the soap but putting your mask in a warm place for a few minutes before you put it on seems like a good solution

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Enderzero posted:

Yep! I’ve been watching him here and there and figuring out some useful pointers while ignoring his bog standard abrasive high skill persona.

Yeah he’s definitely a cocky shithead a lot of the time but man is he good at the game. Like head and shoulders above everyone else.

I’ve actually taken to watching the smaller streamers, like DirtySixxer because they employ skills that a mere mortal can also use. Vape is tough to emulate because it’s like, well, how DO I manage to hipfire an mp5 and land every single shot to hit someone for all their health at a half a mile away? Vape does it, but I’m not entirely sure how. I’m sure at least part of it is playing Pop1 is literally his job and he basically does it every waking moment

The smaller streamers are more like us mere mortals in my experience, and I’ve learned a lot from them. It has marginally improved my game from dumpster fire to dumpster camp fire.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Its a bit of a catch-22. You can get a more moisture resistant insert but youll be prone to more fogging...

People on the Supernatural Facebook(!!!!) group have reported good results with getting their mask warm prior to using it, and other more adventurous people have rubbed soap on the lenses which they claim works well. I dont recommend the soap but putting your mask in a warm place for a few minutes before you put it on seems like a good solution

My solution has been to put my headset on top of my computer (heat exhausts that way) for a few minutes before starting up.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
A fan blowing at you helps too. And its generally more pleasant vis a vis motion sickness.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Vapelifeyo? Nice

haha ive definitely encountered this person and I would scream hax if this was any other game....(only because I dont even know how you can cheat in this game...I'm using an Index and aside from the res bump it doesn't help item discovery)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is Star Trek Bridge Crew worth trying if I'm not going to be able to get a full group together for it? I have a buddy of mine buying a Quest and we talked about playing Bridge Crew because we're both super into TNG right now but I'm seeing some reviews say that there's no AI so you need to fill in empty spaces with randos? I'd like to not have to do that if possible, but sounds like maybe it's not. Also is the game good for a couple of nerds who want to do some Star Trek bullshit?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

explosivo posted:

Is Star Trek Bridge Crew worth trying if I'm not going to be able to get a full group together for it? I have a buddy of mine buying a Quest and we talked about playing Bridge Crew because we're both super into TNG right now but I'm seeing some reviews say that there's no AI so you need to fill in empty spaces with randos? I'd like to not have to do that if possible, but sounds like maybe it's not. Also is the game good for a couple of nerds who want to do some Star Trek bullshit?

You can get by pretty well with 2 people. There's no strict "AI" as such, but anybody can issue an order to a station that doesn't have a human player, so you can like, remote control them. Like shouting "power up shields", (and in fact you can use voice commands or you can use gestures) so there's a sort of AI its just one you have to control yourself.

Also, players are free to hop positions during a mission, so what my cousin and I did was we basically each claimed 2 positions and would move back and forth as necessary.

For the most part you just need a driver and gunner.

If you don't like star trek then you'll bounce off fast but if you like TNG a bunch then I'm sure you'll have fun.

There's not a ton of content though, as is pretty common in VR games.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Zaphod42 posted:

You can get by pretty well with 2 people. There's no strict "AI" as such, but anybody can issue an order to a station that doesn't have a human player, so you can like, remote control them. Like shouting "power up shields", (and in fact you can use voice commands or you can use gestures) so there's a sort of AI its just one you have to control yourself.

Also, players are free to hop positions during a mission, so what my cousin and I did was we basically each claimed 2 positions and would move back and forth as necessary.

For the most part you just need a driver and gunner.

Oh awesome, this is kind of what I was wondering. I appreciate it. I did read some negative reviews on steam saying they removed voice commands post launch at some point which made it harder to play without a full group? But either way, if we can switch between seats that doesn't sound too bad. Plus it looks like the native Quest version comes with the TNG DLC which rules.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

explosivo posted:

Oh awesome, this is kind of what I was wondering. I appreciate it. I did read some negative reviews on steam saying they removed voice commands post launch at some point which made it harder to play without a full group? But either way, if we can switch between seats that doesn't sound too bad. Plus it looks like the native Quest version comes with the TNG DLC which rules.

Lmao apparently they licensed the voice recognition from IBM and stopped paying so they had to patch it out. That's super lame, but I never used it much anyways.

It was cool the one time it worked where you could turn to an AI and say "Punch it!" and the ship would warp, but too often you'd end up having to say it twice and feel dumb.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Zaphod42 posted:

Lmao apparently they licensed the voice recognition from IBM and stopped paying so they had to patch it out. That's super lame, but I never used it much anyways.

It was cool the one time it worked where you could turn to an AI and say "Punch it!" and the ship would warp, but too often you'd end up having to say it twice and feel dumb.

Haha yikes. Good to know it's not integral to the game.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I played it with 3 and it was great. I don't think 2 is a problem.

I also played it a couple times with randos and it was surprisingly fun. That type of game self selects a fun kind of person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I played near release, so I can't speak for the playerbase now, but I only played pubs with random people and pretty much everyone I ran into was cool and I had fun in every room