Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Tbh I don't think Alaska (I don't have any of the others) has been THAT badly affected. Put it like this, if I enter a ranked battle and someone on my team has an Alaska and the opponent has literally any other T9 cruiser, I think my team has the advantage. So its no longer a T10 masquerading as a T9 but IMO is probably still the best T9 cruiser overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

kaesarsosei posted:

Tbh I don't think Alaska (I don't have any of the others) has been THAT badly affected. Put it like this, if I enter a ranked battle and someone on my team has an Alaska and the opponent has literally any other T9 cruiser, I think my team has the advantage. So its no longer a T10 masquerading as a T9 but IMO is probably still the best T9 cruiser overall.

I think with the current meta I'd want a dpm cruiser or Stalin/Moskva now personally but it was never a dd killer or a bb killer. So in a BB/DD heavy meta it struggles some.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Moskva is awful in ranked. Or I'm awful. One or the other. But in my experience it's not agile enough to avoid the inevitable broadside shot from a deadeye BB..

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

General Battuta posted:

Moskva is awful in ranked. Or I'm awful. One or the other. But in my experience it's not agile enough to avoid the inevitable broadside shot from a deadeye BB..

It’s really a ship that struggles vs battleship HE, which is what you’re going to be dealing with. I think it’s a good time to play aggressive dds that can survive CVs, so Daring, Halland, the usual suspects.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Alaska was fine without fire prevention before the change. You have to be more careful but it's still an overpowered ship. The problem is that the Alaska isn't that good or fun unless you can play it aggressively, and with the skill change everything is either a deadeye BB, max range farm build cruiser, DD, or dies to the deadeye BBs. Turns out it's not much fun to play your brawling cruiser into five Musashis behind the spawn, who would have guessed?

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Biggest knock against the battlecruisers is that they are made to poo poo on other cruisers while contesting. I haven't been in any games for the last week that had more than 3 a side, even then most of the time it's just people rolling backline Yoshino/Henri zero concealment bullshit. So you already can't push in them due to deadeye chucklefucks and due to CA/CL's getting the shaft in this meta you also don't really have anything to shoot because lol at playing cruisers in general.

Gonna be great when we have subs in the game that just sit in the caps uncontested trying to torp each other and failing while every other ship is dead within 7 minutes and the two CV's don't have enough planes or basic intelligence to kill each other. Woooooooo.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I’ve played a few dozen matches now with the new skills, and man WG really really wants sniping BB’s to dominate the game. Everything other type of gameplay is almost dead. I’m mostly a CA/BC player, and I can sort of make a few ships work, but it’s rough. Half the time I’m just struggling to find something to shoot.

All CL’s and American CA’s have really gotten the shaft. I’ve seen Worcester’s and Des Moines sailing way out on the flanks in open water in a desperate attempt to get in range of something.

All of the worst aspects of the game have been ramped up to 11 by everyone playing ridiculously conservative. It’s baffling because they gave cruisers huge incentives to ditch concealment and play aggressively, but then none of that jives with the rest of the meta. The obvious solution here would be to get rid of deadeye and give BB’s a similar aggressive/anti-concealment build. But it’s WG, and at best they’ll slightly nerf dead eye and call it a day.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

colonelwest posted:

I’ve played a few dozen matches now with the new skills, and man WG really really wants sniping BB’s to dominate the game. Everything other type of gameplay is almost dead. I’m mostly a CA/BC player, and I can sort of make a few ships work, but it’s rough. Half the time I’m just struggling to find something to shoot.

All CL’s and American CA’s have really gotten the shaft. I’ve seen Worcester’s and Des Moines sailing way out on the flanks in open water in a desperate attempt to get in range of something.

All of the worst aspects of the game have been ramped up to 11 by everyone playing ridiculously conservative. It’s baffling because they gave cruisers huge incentives to ditch concealment and play aggressively, but then none of that jives with the rest of the meta. The obvious solution here would be to get rid of deadeye and give BB’s a similar aggressive/anti-concealment build. But it’s WG, and at best they’ll slightly nerf dead eye and call it a day.

It jives perfectly well with long range heavy cruisers. Max dpm no conceal Henri, Hindy, and Nevsky all work well

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

toadee posted:

It jives perfectly well with long range heavy cruisers. Max dpm no conceal Henri, Hindy, and Nevsky all work well

Amusingly, the name I have heard for these builds is Lighthouse.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Except most cruisers, especially in lower tiers like 6, 7 and 8 dont have long range available in any meaningful way.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The lower tier games aren't quite such a disaster because most low tier BBs don't have huge range either and probably a lot of the BB players are not so good.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

A bigger problem with it is that, it throws any sort of immersive ability out even further. Like, I know, there's nothing realistic in any way at all about the game, that's fine. The issue is more that like it doesn't even make any kind of intuitive human sense for an Henri to end up with 21km concealment while shooting at a Thunderer with 11km concealment. It's one thing to make the nature of speed and deployments and reloads etc different to facilitate some action and fun, but to change like, the notion of how simple physics and optics work in a world we all know an understand makes things seem more and more goofy. And, it's really the direct result of loving up so much other stuff and loving with "concepts" like "super accurate long range Battleship that also now gets super accuracy long range skills". Sub Ovtavian is a loving nightmare, everything that's been done since he took over as executive producer has been terrible. Just min-maxing tiny aspects to turn everything into a more and more grotesque mutation of itself. Like whoever the original team was, with their strange obsession with everything fitting within a pre-defined ratio/math system (so that they were long reluctant to make per-ship or per-line changes to penetration values etc for balancing reasons), was kind of an annoying Grognard about the whole thing, but at least it meant that things were measurably more skill and game knowledge based than gimmick based.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
This game makes some bizarre trade offs to protect certain ships and classes that make less sense with each ship released. Larger caliber guns that somehow fire faster and turn faster then smaller turrets, larger ships having better concealment then smaller ones. Destroyers got weird, as now they are better light cruisers then light cruisers are.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Bring back stealth firing for DD’s and cruisers, problem solved!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The concealment stuff is why I stayed away from Wargaming games entirely for a really long time- I just played War Thunder, because even if something was near impossible to see, when a tank came around the corner, at least it would be visible no matter what. (In theory, at least. And they hosed this up later anyhow).

It took an absolutely egregious loving of the economy to get me to abandon that game, and it sorta feels like WG is doing the same for me here, just with commander skills and balance choices.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Man, I sure picked an absolutely outstanding time to reinstall this loving game

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nordick posted:

Man, I sure picked an absolutely outstanding time to reinstall this loving game

You can always uninstall it again! :eng101:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Nah I'll just piss around with low tier poo poo until I get sick of everything again.

I have no goddamn idea how I have a 57% win rate after a thousand battles with how little loving clue I have about what I'm doing.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I actually had a good and fun game last night. Me (DD) and and a BB spawned far away from everyone else so we worked together to help each other out and we were able to push back 3 or 4 enemy ships. I eventually died but he lasted to the end of the game and we won.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Wibla posted:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is world of warplanes still poo poo?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Mans posted:

is world of warplanes still poo poo?

I mean it had that big honking update a few years ago that made it actually pretty good for a bit, but I guess they didn't keep up with it and it kinda died again? I haven't paid attention for a good while

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Wibla posted:

i won't quit until i cash in my god drat hizen because i spent dubs on that goddamnit

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Only had the Hizen for a week, it's okay but you give up a way too much just for the bigger broadside. Izumo and Musashi (obviously) are far better ships. I can't really figure out why WG felt it necessary to remove a heal charge from it after already slapping it with a very long reload, 32mm everywhere and shells with poor sigma and pen.

It is very good for deadeye nuking cruisers, just falls over a bit when facing other BB's.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

masterpine posted:

Hizen is very good for deadeye nuking cruisers, just falls over a bit when facing other BB's.

Every BB is very good for deadeye nuking cruisers. gently caress, even German BBs are good at it now.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Izumo was the biggest surprise for me, after hearing for years that it was an absolute garbage boat. I think it might be legitimately one of my favourite tech tree ships.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Izumo is the best tech-tree Tier9 now, but controversially I would say the FdeG is second best.

Hizen is underwhelming - it's not bad I suppose and as a Premium has the advantage for me of being able to run Yamamoto on it. It doesn't seem to be anything special with regards to credits either. If it had the normal heals and normal, or even 32s, reload it might be very nice. The Izumo and Iowa guns are much better. It only has around a 6km Deadeye buffer zone too. As it is, just meh.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Fearless posted:

Izumo was the biggest surprise for me, after hearing for years that it was an absolute garbage boat. I think it might be legitimately one of my favourite tech tree ships.

That's because Izumo was buffed ten patches in a row after most of us had finished grinding it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

To be clear I don't really care whether the Hizen is good or not - by all accounts it isn't better than Izumo. I just spent the dubs on prebuying some phases and I'll be goddamned if I won't get the reward. Then I'll probably take some time off.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The GK is legit much better post patch. Its not as fun, but it is definitely better.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
You mean GK with Deadeye? Because I'm not surprised - logically to me the biggest benefactors from Deadeye are the stuff with mediocre dispersion - GK, Conqueror, Montana - since 10% of those values is a lot more than 10% of Yamato's.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kaesarsosei posted:

You mean GK with Deadeye? Because I'm not surprised - logically to me the biggest benefactors from Deadeye are the stuff with mediocre dispersion - GK, Conqueror, Montana - since 10% of those values is a lot more than 10% of Yamato's.

Yeah I run it with Deadeye, but not concealment expect since Im trying to keep it tanking. Purely anecdotal but there seems to be a lot less HE rainbows in the game at the moment and its just really the Hindies/Yoshinos that you have to deal with at super long range. I'm just not getting burnt to a crisp anymore.

I always found the German battleships to be really frustrating with their accuracy and dead eye helps massively with this. Its just a lot more reliable damage. You're not landing 60% of your shells like Slavas/Yamatos/Thunderers but hitting 4 instead of 1 is much better than before.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah I run it with Deadeye, but not concealment expect since Im trying to keep it tanking. Purely anecdotal but there seems to be a lot less HE rainbows in the game at the moment and its just really the Hindies/Yoshinos that you have to deal with at super long range. I'm just not getting burnt to a crisp anymore.

I always found the German battleships to be really frustrating with their accuracy and dead eye helps massively with this. Its just a lot more reliable damage. You're not landing 60% of your shells like Slavas/Yamatos/Thunderers but hitting 4 instead of 1 is much better than before.

Deadeye without CE makes no sense

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
that's literally counterproductive lol.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

toadee posted:

Deadeye without CE makes no sense

I'd rather have more survivability than an extra 1km of dead eye. I've only got a 17 point captain so CE will come after the next point.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is Eye in the Sky good for Yoshino or not?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

wdarkk posted:

Is Eye in the Sky good for Yoshino or not?

I tried it, but I don’t think that spotter planes are much help with Yoshino. It’s dispersion and shell velocity are too bad to hit much at extreme ranges.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What skills should I take for destroyers nowadays?

What are the gimmicks of the new DD trees? By new, I mean the pan-Asia, Euro, French and British destroyers.

I only have the Japanese, Soviet, American and german so I'm curious where the proper good DDs are and which should I keep in port for fun.

I could never understand what was the point of cruisers in this game back in the day. Looking at the recent updates, it seems that Wargaming doesn't know either.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Mans posted:

What skills should I take for destroyers nowadays?

What are the gimmicks of the new DD trees? By new, I mean the pan-Asia, Euro, French and British destroyers.

I only have the Japanese, Soviet, American and german so I'm curious where the proper good DDs are and which should I keep in port for fun.

I could never understand what was the point of cruisers in this game back in the day. Looking at the recent updates, it seems that Wargaming doesn't know either.

Just going to quote myself here since it'll also cover the new CA and BB trees for you as well

toadee posted:

For the most part it doesn't really matter what you choose for your first few ship trees, because honestly and truthfully it will take at the very least a couple thousand games to really start to get a solid understanding of tactics and game flow, and to really start understanding and putting those strengths and weaknesses to work. For whatever class and tree you choose (don't choose CV, nobody likes you), first and foremost just work on not dying early and putting yourself in a position to shoot things and have impact for as much of the game as possible. This takes a lot of time to understand so don't get too frustrated.

I will try to one liner every surface ship tree in the game:

BBs:
German - Tanky in certain situations, impossible(*) to citadel, lots of secondaries for close brawling
French - Fast, lightly armored, either lots of guns or short reload depending on tier
British - Good conceal, lightly armored, super heal at high tiers means they can die like 3 times over. Focus mainly on HE with insane fire chance
American Main tree- Slow until higher tiers, then pretty quick. Accurate guns with slower velocity, lots of guns
American Fat Tree - Slow. Slow. Slow. Lots of big accurate guns. Slow.
Russian - Tanky, good gun velocity, good pen. Limited damage control parties, generally weak broadside armor.
Japan - Accurate long range guns. Yamato is the only BB that can overmatch 32mm plating (most BB nose armor). Weak broadsides except for Izumo

CA/CLs:
Japan - Stealthy, good torps, super accurate guns
USA CA - Amazing AP, solid HE. At high tiers radar to help contest cap points. Situationally tanky but generally very squishy
USN CL - Fast reload good fire chance HE, lots of utility (radar/hydro/DFAA), generally very very squishy
British CL - Good rudder, good torps, smokescreen (can be swapped for radar at higher tiers), AP only, but short fuse and improved pen angles make it extremely lethal. Super heal to repair lots of damage. No armor at all.
British CA - Great HE, dogshit AP, super heal, and situationally tanky armor.
Russian CA - Great AP, terrible HE, terrible maneuverability, great armor. Long range radar, very short duration.
Russian CL - Great HE, Great AP, terrible maneuverability, very weak armor. Long range radar.
Italy - SAP shells combine aspects of HE and AP, do considerable damage, especially to DDs. Long range good velocity, great rudder shift. No utility (no radar/hydro/dfaa). Fuel smoke lets them move full speed while smoked.
French - Long range HE, very good HE. Reload booster allows on demand extra damage (great for finishing low targets). AP at the Henri has incredible pen and damage.
German - Good high pen HE with decent fire chance. AP has incredible damage but average pen and standard pen angles, making it situational. At higher tiers, turtleback armor makes them difficult to citadel at close ranges, making close in plays situationally viable.

DDs:
USA - Good all around. Great smoke, good guns at close range, good torps (become amazing torps at high tiers).
Japan Main line (Shimakaze Tree) - Stealthy, good torps but they are easily spotted. High HE alpha damage on guns, low gun dpm.
Japan Gunboat line (Harugumo Tree) - up to T7 nothing good, just mediocre torp boats. T8-10 you get 100mm rapid fire guns with absurd base penetration (30mm). Terrifyingly effective guns, bad manueverability and concealment.
Russia Main line (Khabarovsk) - Open water high speed gunboats. Bad concealment, meant to survive shooting in open water at larger ships the whole game. Effective in isolated engagements vs other DDs but very trick to do.
Russia Alt Line (Grozovoi) - Can play either open water high speed gunboat or more traditional DD concealment roles. Large number of consumables at high tiers (smoke, heal, dfaa, speed boost)
French - Super high speed, good hard hitting HE with low base dpm, but reload booster consumable allows you to out trade other DDs when it is active. At the highest tiers, the AP pen is insane for a DD, you can nuke most cruisers if you ambush their broadside, just using AP.
Europe - Long range fast reloading torps that don't do much damage at all. No smoke, at higher tiers some of the only actually effective AA in the game (still only situationally). Decent guns but nothing special. Heal consumable makes them able to sustain trades longer.
Pan Asia - Deep water torpedoes can only hit cruisers, BBs, and CVs. Smoke consumable has short duration and short cool down. Hulls and guns and such are generally identical to same tier USN counterparts.
British - Extremely short duration smokes with short cooldown and lots of charges. No speed boost and low top speed, but long duration hydroacoustic makes you almost immune to getting torp'd. Very good guns at close range.
German - Hydroacoustic search for detecting other DDs in smoke and also detecting torps - they can be effective cap bullies. They have higher HE pen than other ships, which also makes them good at farming damage on larger ships.

My honest advice is just pick something from that list that sounds fun/interesting and just do it. You'll suck at it. You'll then pick another line, and suck at it, but a little less. After going through a few, you'll start to have some really incredible moments. After you've done a lot of them, you'll start being able to arrange those incredible moments much more often.

Try to have fun despite the fact that in a large portion of your games, a CV will be able to just walk up to you and do damage no matter what and there's nothing you can really do about it.

Mans posted:

The point of cruisers is to torture DDs and BBs

From this past week:

toadee fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Mans posted:

It's to have the best DPM in the game in the most situations, at the price of being really vulnerable to instant death.