Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

ImpAtom posted:

Like I can say this about a lot of movies. Even movies I love sometimes are reluctant to let things go even when they work against the film as a whole. This is an extremely common criticism of film. Acting like it's being Unfairly Applied To Zach Snyder is being way too weirdly defensive,

Wait, what? What darlings are we talking about, run-time? Of a film none of us have seen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We're just talking in circles now because any time anyone makes a point you go "but you haven't seen the movie" like everyone's just got no prior history of the medium to work from to make any sort of inference.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Arist posted:

We're just talking in circles now because any time anyone makes a point you go "but you haven't seen the movie" like everyone's just got no prior history of the medium to work from to make any sort of inference.

So what is the point exactly? That HBO is wasting their money on a worthless endeavor? Who gives a poo poo about that?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Johnny LaserDisc, inventor of the LaserDisc, foresaw that not all filmmakers would be wise enough to put an intermission in their movies, and that's why he gifted the world with his greatest legacy: the pause button. Now it is incumbent upon us all to use it responsibly, in his memory

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KVeezy3 posted:

Wait, what? What darlings are we talking about, run-time? Of a film none of us have seen?

Yes. Because we have heard enough about the film to have several examples. Even if you discount everything having to do with Jared Leto being a fuckin' creep, the fact that The Joker is appearing in the Justice League movie is ridiculous. The Joker is not a necessary presence in the film. Maybe I'll eat my words when it comes out but I don't think "the Joker probably is going to be a superfluous and unnecessary addition" is a prediction that is out of this world. The Joker didn't even appear in the Harley Quinn movie about Harley Quinn breaking up with the Joker.

And the Joker isn't the only thing added. A lot of what is being added sounds like entirely pointless fanservice which is a problem that tends to contribute to movies feeling bloated. The core plot is there and fleshing that out a little isn't bad, but when you've already confirmed Martian Manhunter, Joker, The Atom, Darkseid, and extended scenes for a lot of the supporting characters you're going to have a movie that really sounds like it's going to be full of Cinematic Universe Bloat even if all of those parts are relatively small. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised but I imagine I'll come out of it feeling the same way I do about stuff like The Hobbit: "You could have trimmed a lot of that and lost nothing."

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

KVeezy3 posted:

So what is the point exactly? That HBO is wasting their money on a worthless endeavor? Who gives a poo poo about that?

I dunno I think that's pretty funny personally

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Arist posted:

what are you even talking about

Sorry, I meant McCloud, but you do get super bent out of shape too. Reading the two of you(now 4 or 5 I guess) argue as if you had opposing personal stakes in everything Snyder does really drags the thread down.....and it's been pages now. I really wish you guys wouldn't take this poo poo so personally.
It's going to be a long movie, it's perfectly reasonable if you don't enjoy his previous work and are drawn out of overly long movies to speculate that you won't like it. If you do like his stuff and long movies don't bother you then you have nothing to worry about. What the gently caress is the point of trying to convince the other they're wrong?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

It is a good thing literally nobody said that?

The most likely outcome is that Snyder is given the chance to make a film without having to kill his darlings which is potentially fun but even the best creators know that usually you have to do that for a reason. That does not necessarily mean it will be bad but it certainly is a warning sign that people have understandable reasons to be cautious about.

Like I can say this about a lot of movies. Even movies I love sometimes are reluctant to let things go even when they work against the film as a whole. This is an extremely common criticism of film. Acting like it's being Unfairly Applied To Zach Snyder is being way too weirdly defensive,

It'd be all fine and dandy if it was just "I'm not interested in a four hour movie by a director I don't like" but that was not the framing of the posts we responded to

Monaghan posted:

I am dying to know how the Snyder verse fans will try to spin a 4 hour movie not being a loving slog to get through.

Like do they really think the script was just so jam packed with awesome ideas and there's nothing superfluous to edit out?

Arist posted:

Are you really having this much trouble understanding "it is a bad idea to make your movie four hours long"?

This isn't that. This is "There is an inherent problem with making a movie that long" which was responded to with "No it's not. There are plenty of movies that are that long and also good." It was only after that that it was clarified that they meant Snyder movies exclusively, which oh well I guess?

And then there's this nutcase post about people being indoctrinated to think it's a good idea

BrianWilly posted:

What everyone has to understand is that the indoctrination of Snyder's cult of personality is so complete that things that are usually seen as bad filmmaking decisions are always somehow warped into being good actually, as long as Snyder does it.

If you don't like a character, you just don't get the point because unlikable characters are actually good, you see. That's the point. He did it on purpose!

What's pacing? Films don't need pacing! Just put more film into a film 'cuz more film is good! More films should be four hours long!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Bitching about runtime aside, remember when we all were ready for the pissbreak at the end of Endgame and the studio decided to give us a 5 minute Signature Series goodbye to the Avengers? :negative:

I'm quite interested in the behind the scenes stuff with how this went from a mini-series in 4 parts to a legit 4 hour cut. I'm betting HBO Was afraid people would nope out after the first episode.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 31, 2021

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Sorry, I meant McCloud, but you do get super bent out of shape too. Reading the two of you(now 4 or 5 I guess) argue as if you had opposing personal stakes in everything Snyder does really drags the thread down.....and it's been pages now. I really wish you guys wouldn't take this poo poo so personally.
It's going to be a long movie, it's perfectly reasonable if you don't enjoy his previous work and are drawn out of overly long movies to speculate that you won't like it. If you do like his stuff and long movies don't bother you then you have nothing to worry about. What the gently caress is the point of trying to convince the other they're wrong?

Yeah, I largely stopped reading this thread because it feels like people fly off the handle insanely fast. It's weird in contrast to the rest of BSS which feels remarkably chill for a comic book forum.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

FilthyImp posted:

Bitching about runtime aside, remember when we all were ready for the pissbreak at the end of Endgame and the studio decided to give us a 5 minute Signature Series goodbye to the Avengers?

I'm quite interested in the behind the scenes stuff with how this went from a mini-series in 4 parts to a legit 4 hour cut. I'm betting HBO Was afraid people would nope out after the first episode.

That'd make sense, It might be that the first thirty or forty minutes are pretty close to the original and there were thoughts about whether or not people would just check out after not seeing sufficient differences but at that point that actually is blind speculation on things we haven't seen I guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Bitching about runtime aside, remember when we all were ready for the pissbreak at the end of Endgame and the studio decided to give us a 5 minute Signature Series goodbye to the Avengers?

I mean the answer to that is pretty simple and back to what we've already discussed: A film and a TV show are paced very differently. Trying to cut a film (even a long film) into multiple episodes almost always feels like poo poo because well-directed films are designed around the specific pacing of a movie. Snyder almost certainly realized that cutting the film into episodes would work heavily against it because you'd be butchering the basic pacing.

Snyder is a very deliberate director whatever you say about him and Justice League was designed as a movie. Making it a miniseries might have been a compromise to get the funding but at the end of the day it was almost certainly a bad choice regardless of how long it turned out to be.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Roth posted:

Yeah, I largely stopped reading this thread because it feels like people fly off the handle insanely fast. It's weird in contrast to the rest of BSS which feels remarkably chill for a comic book forum.

I dunno I don't think you get to act like you're too good for the thread when you basically admitted to engaging in bad faith posting to deliberately make people upset dude

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the "mini series to movie" thing just rings hollow to me. You make and edit something differently as episodes. You don't just cut it into parts. If this was filmed/edited as a 4 part mini series than we'll probably see that in the final version in distinct break points. But my guess is the episodes thing was an idea but if Snyder was making his full vision I'm guessing that didn't also include adjusting it for episode breaks. So my guess is it just didn't happen that way because Zack Snyder made a 4 hour film, not a 4 hour miniseries.

But its just a guess.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Bongo Bill posted:

Johnny LaserDisc, inventor of the LaserDisc, foresaw that not all filmmakers would be wise enough to put an intermission in their movies, and that's why he gifted the world with his greatest legacy: the pause button. Now it is incumbent upon us all to use it responsibly, in his memory

He stole that idea from Dr Samuel VideoCassette-Recorder! this historical revisionism will not stand

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Blockhouse posted:

I dunno I don't think you get to act like you're too good for the thread when you basically admitted to engaging in bad faith posting to deliberately make people upset dude

I do think that one snarky post because people on the same page started moaning about insane cultists is significantly better than the pages of screaming at each other, yeah.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

4 hours sounds way too long for Justice League, but we'll see. I liked Watchmen's Director's Cut, but the Extended Edition was way too much.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Considering it was originally edited as 4, 1 hour episodes, I can see it working if thats how it plays out. 3 mini acts for each hour with a clear act break at each hour doesnt seem too insane to me. Difficult and not a norm for sure though. Especially makes sense since theyre (re)introducing 3 characters that clearly have their own individual arcs.

I doubt that David Brennar, a highly accomplished editor, isnt aware of the same basic fundamental worries of such a long movie. Hopefully he was able to make it work by basically editing a 4 part miniseries without the credits inbetween and before each episode.

That said, it is not crazy people are not into the idea or skeptical of its potential, regardless of it being a Snyder movie. Id be blown away if the general reaction was anything less.

A 4 hour comic book movie, even seperated from the drama around this particular 4 hour comic book movie, is a tall order. A tall order I cannot wait to devour.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

McCloud posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

this probation was some weak poo poo and this thread is really toxic

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

He was intentionally trying to stir up poo poo.
I guess he succeeded.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Lt. Danger posted:

The only thing in this thread that ever gets toxic IS Snyder-talk. McCloud came in, during a rather benign chat about movie food boxes, and decided to post a bullshit aggressive meme when he's been probated in the BSS Movie Thread multiple times for causing the same type of derails. Whether you think the movie's a dumb idea or not, there's literally no need to come in and troll folks. That's not out yet. There's nothing concrete to discuss so the majority of you are arguing about nothing.

To echo How Wonderful when the previous thread was closed:

How Wonderful posted:

It's a bunch of people saying cruel poo poo about a movie that isn't out yet, a movie that's a revision of a movie that people were cruel to each other about the first time around.

So let's take away the ability to be cruel for a bit. How about take the weekend off, thread. Watch Wandavision or something. Hug your cat. See you on Monday.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

This vest is the future of superhero movies.

https://twitter.com/MailOnline/status/1356229596891537413

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Jesus they are totally leaning into the drunk metalhead dork look for Thor and i am loving here for it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is how Chris Jericho sees himself

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

This is how Chris Jericho sees himself

I'm becom-I'm becoming Loki, Loki in my mind

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It almost looks like he just ripped the sleeves off of an old Star Lord costume. I hope that's what it is. So excited for more MCU Thor.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SonicRulez posted:

It almost looks like he just ripped the sleeves off of an old Star Lord costume. I hope that's what it is. So excited for more MCU Thor.

"You are blessed with slender arms, Peter Quill. All I had do was flex but once and they ripped."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m a little disappointed he’s not chubby anymore.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m a little disappointed he’s not chubby anymore.

Oh there better be a weight loss montage. Or a competion against Quill with Quill not changing at all.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That definitely looks to me like Thor raiding Quill's closet and Quill overcompensating with like an armor duster or something.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's the same one the goombas wear in the Mario movie

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just realized that with Endgame Quill was finally back on Earth. I’m curious if he’ll spend some time to catch up with the planet or will he just keep riding that 80s nostalgia.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yondu gifts Peter a MP3 player in V2.
Pete gets snapped in Infinity War.
Rocket and Nebula spend 5 years on Earth downloading music.
Pete can't stand their music.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Peter goes back to vinyl to impress nuGamora

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1356332139986345984

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just realized that with Endgame Quill was finally back on Earth. I’m curious if he’ll spend some time to catch up with the planet or will he just keep riding that 80s nostalgia.

He left it as soon as he could.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Codependent Poster posted:

Which is a shame because his grandfather is still around.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My interpretation is that Quill just sees Earth as trauma and his entire identity is being a man child running away from things. So being on Earth isn't some great opportunity or homecoming for him, its just a risk that he might have to face poo poo he's buried when he could just be out exploring space and doing fun stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Have you seen Earth? Who can blame him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He could at least have picked up a DVD player and the complete Knight Rider box set.