Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Twelve by Pies posted:

Because recruiters like to prey on high school kids who are unsure of what they're going to do when they graduate? Because there's a very strong propaganda effort to portray the military as heroes who are saving the world and protecting the country? Because the military has free health care and will pay for college and there are a lot of poor people who feel it's their only chance to have a future?

If only Ted Rall was capable of imagining what life is like for someone who isn't Ted Rall.

I thought - and I do welcome being corrected - the military had a fairly decent policy as to people who wanted transition as well as surgery services, making it one of the better "employers" for transgender people before the ban? I seem to recall a of of angst by serving members who were transgender at the loss of services.

Why the military provided those services is probably dubious of course. But as I understood it, the military was one of the better places to be transgender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

After 4 years of a republican president a republican voting mob storm the capitol and this is evidence that your republican mouthpiece is the smartest person in the room? gently caress off Stantis

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Vib Rib posted:

How the gently caress did the capitol riots prove politicians can put patriotism above partisanship

The way I’m reading :tinsley: is that he’s referring to the 10 R’s who broke with Trump and voted for impeachment as putting patriotism over politics? Or is this a ‘don’t gotta hand it to them’ moment?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Klaus88 posted:

Okay the Roman numbers is actually a decent touch.
if you're talking about the sinfest dump i've got to ask: what?

the only way it could be more ham-handed is if the numerals were branded across the baby's forehead

also if it's "a decent touch" where the gently caress did the roman numerals go after the bag dropped in to "golly gee just a normal bro with a clean n' fancy truck with a lot of work done"'s truck and his "every woman in sinfest but this time with a shotgun, bottle of wine, and hat" sister/wife?

Why's she standing on the roof like that French Comics Superhero? Look out, lady, your brother/husband is about to step on your hat! No wonder she immediately flies off the handle. You know, like a woman.

i challenge anyone to look at that last panel and then tell me how she saw any part of the truck bed interior much less anything resting on the truck bed itself

stringless fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Feb 1, 2021

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I can't even get angry at Sinfest, it's become so completely impenetrable that I can't see any message in it, good or bad

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Qwertycoatl posted:

I can't even get angry at Sinfest, it's become so completely impenetrable that I can't see any message in it, good or bad

Ishida has become millennial Stantis. Truly the worst of fates.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Luv 2 chop wood on the stump I leave on the road in front of my house

Luv 2 walk around the house with a shotgun in one hand and a bottle of booze in the other

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Trapezium Dave posted:

The same way it proved the foundations of US democracy are stronger than you think!

Rall: Trans People Are Welcome to Kill for the Military

Cool poster of flying dildoes.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Did she? I just recall four straight years of void floating "if everything is nothing than are we anything?"

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

FFT posted:

i challenge anyone to look at that last panel and then tell me how she saw any part of the truck bed interior much less anything resting on the truck bed itself
She's standing on the shotgun and beer bottle, that's why she's holding them in opposite hands in the next panel.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I thought - and I do welcome being corrected - the military had a fairly decent policy as to people who wanted transition as well as surgery services, making it one of the better "employers" for transgender people before the ban? I seem to recall a of of angst by serving members who were transgender at the loss of services.

Why the military provided those services is probably dubious of course. But as I understood it, the military was one of the better places to be transgender.

It is, in fact if you're trans and from a small town joining the army is often the only way to get the healthcare needed to transition and enough money to move someplace where being trans is accepted.

It's a complex issue that ties into deeper problems in American society.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Abolish the military, use the money you save to fund transition for everyone who wants it

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mikl posted:

Abolish the military, use the money you save to fund transition for everyone who wants it

Ideally America would offer the things the military offers (free healthcare, free college, etc.) to all citizens the way other nations do, but they don't and there lies the problem.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Neo_Crimson posted:

Ishida has become millennial Stantis. Truly the worst of fates.

Hah.

Different approaches though. Sinfest looks like it's trying to say something but failing due to terrible execution. Pricky City is a couple of characters in the desert constantly going "Hey maybe we should say something?" "Nah"

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

One of Sinfest's big underlying messages is, and always has been, "you ladies are all Womaning wrong; let me, an Enlightened Man, tell you how." The fact that his definition of "Womaning" has shifted doesn't make him less of a piece of poo poo.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Declare a war on poverty.
The rules of engagement are nobody gets left behind: free healthcare, housing and education for all.
Rebuild the armed forces accordingly.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agents are GO! posted:

I was more referring it looks like the same drawing of her pasted into each cartoon, like so:

Nah, she does take pride in her art and doesn't cut and paste.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Nm. On second read through, joke didn't work without being creepy.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Seems like something better suited to a garbage webcomics thread than politoons.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Well, poo poo that reminds me of Celeste, just a little bit.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

A whole bunch of people obviously turned off the TV in the five-minute period between "Congress returns to session hours after the riot, bravely carrying on and showing the rioters they can't win" and "Cruz/Hawley keep trying to overturn the election without any sense of shame."

Ted Rall posted:

Why would people who have been a victim of systemic discrimination want to go fight and kill on behalf of the system?

Valuable insight from Ted "gay people were cooler before same-sex marriage was legal because they were a scrappy oppressed group and now they're boring and normal" Rall!

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Did she? I just recall four straight years of void floating "if everything is nothing than are we anything?"

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

drat.

Please love yourselves people, you deserve to be happy.:yaycloud:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

By popular demand posted:

drat.

Please love yourselves people, you deserve to be happy.:yaycloud:

No one regularly perusing this thread deserves happiness

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

By popular demand posted:

drat.

Please love yourselves, people. You deserve to be happy.:yaycloud:

I have a friend that is in her 50s (I'm 35), was in the Navy, suffered sexual abuse in the Navy, has PTSD from the sexual abuse, and finally decided to start hormone therapy last year. She cried when I immediately started calling her by her chosen name and pronoun. She was anxious about how I would react. :unsmith:

Edit:

My friend had been suffering from chronic depression for years before this. At one point, it was so bad, and I was so worried for her that I flew to Boise and dragged her to Michigan on my dime because I was concerned about her well being. She spent three months in a mental health ward with therapy sessions and getting the right mix of medicine before finding a warm and safe apartment. I sometimes like to think I saved her life. :unsmith:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 1, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Moon Slayer posted:

Valuable insight from Ted "gay people were cooler before same-sex marriage was legal because they were a scrappy oppressed group and now they're boring and normal" Rall!

You forgot "same sex marriage is just a tool to turn gay people straight."

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I have a friend that is in her 50s (I'm 35), was in the Navy, suffered sexual abuse in the Navy, has PTSD from the sexual abuse, and finally decided to start hormone therapy last year. She cried when I immediately started calling her by her chosen name and pronoun. She was anxious about how I would react. :unsmith:

Edit:

My friend had been suffering from chronic depression for years before this. At one point, it was so bad, and I was so worried for her that I flew to Boise and dragged her to Michigan on my dime because I was concerned about her well being. She spent three months in a mental health ward with therapy sessions and getting the right mix of medicine before finding a warm and safe apartment. I sometimes like to think I saved her life. :unsmith:

Serious question, how do you refer to trans folks in the past when their former gender is relevant? For instance, a straight friend of mine dated a then female, but now male person. It's important to my friend that he be recognized as straight (as is his right), and it is important to the person whom he dated that he now be known as a man (as is his right).

Truthfully it's not too important, as I have little to no contact with my friend's ex, but I'm curious what the protocol is for that sort of thing. If I ever find myself in a similar situation where it does matter, what is the polite and respectful way to address situations like that?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Nenonen posted:

No one regularly perusing this thread deserves happiness

Av/post combo

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Dirk the Average posted:

Serious question, how do you refer to trans folks in the past when their former gender is relevant? For instance, a straight friend of mine dated a then female, but now male person. It's important to my friend that he be recognized as straight (as is his right), and it is important to the person whom he dated that he now be known as a man (as is his right).

Truthfully it's not too important, as I have little to no contact with my friend's ex, but I'm curious what the protocol is for that sort of thing. If I ever find myself in a similar situation where it does matter, what is the polite and respectful way to address situations like that?

Just use their current presenting gender and note if it’s absolutely relevant they weren’t presented as their current correct gender at the time. Don’t bring up their dead name or misapplied gender. People are smart enough to fill in the blanks.

But really just consider if it’s really relevant enough to even mention. Cause it usually isn’t.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Edmund Lava posted:

Just use their current presenting gender and note if it’s absolutely relevant they weren’t presented as their current correct gender at the time. Don’t bring up their dead name or misapplied gender. People are smart enough to fill in the blanks.

But really just consider if it’s really relevant enough to even mention. Cause it usually isn’t.

Got it. Yeah, my first inclination is to just not mention it unless absolutely necessary; mostly just trying to figure out what the proper procedure would be if it were necessary for some reason.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Dirk the Average posted:

It's up to the trans person. The more common preference is that they were always their current gender, but some folks prefer their pre-transition self to be explicitly referred to by the gender they identified as at that time. Your straight friend's opinion doesn't matter here and doesn't influence how their ex gets to identify.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Moon Slayer posted:

Incredibly this remains one of his worst takes.
Literally treating gays like an indie band.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Grape posted:

Incredibly this remains one of his worst takes.
Literally treating gays like an indie band.

"I understand how rape victims feel because a cop gave me a ticket for jaywalking" is a strong contender though.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

What was his take on the 9/11 widows? I remember that being a whopper.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the UK's Covid vaccination programme – The early success of the UK’s Covid vaccination programme has pushed Boris Johnson ahead in some opinion polls despite total deaths passing 100,000"

Telegraph:

UK may help EU before domestic vaccination programme complete, says Liz Truss

Matt:

Independent:

UK to apply to join free trade pact with nations on other side of world

Times:

Alexei Navalny protests: Moscow in lockdown as police detain thousands

Evening Standard:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Edmund Lava posted:

What was his take on the 9/11 widows? I remember that being a whopper.

The specific callout of Daniel Pearl's wife in panel 3 is especially gross!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

There is something to be said about forcing queer people to conform to heteronormative standards. Obviously there are multiple tangible benefits to marriage, but some would argue to decouple those from marriage to encourage diversity of relationships instead of just lumping everyone into monogamous marriages.

This does not really apply to Rall, who just wants to feel like he’s forever 19.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Thread request: Folks, I am trying to collate nominations for the Kelly cartoon awards and I've made a horrible discovery: the thread search function cannot parse text that is inside format tags, such as bolding.

:siren:Please go through any award nominations in this thread and un-bold any nominations text, especially the word "nomination". :siren:

I am going to have to manually inspect the 400+ page 2020 politoon thread. Nomination collection may be delayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

The specific callout of Daniel Pearl's wife in panel 3 is especially gross!

I've hated on this thing for years and somehow never once realized how badly Panel 3 is botched.

Todd, if you want to draw a bunch of money, "sack with a giant $ on it" is a widely respected toon archetype that even children know how to draw, FFS