Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

lol that's some loving amazing trolling

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Baculus posted:

I genuinely don't know what people could do in hi sec that is somehow more lucrative than null

is it missions?

the only good thing about hi sec is things like afk mining, which are lucrative in an attention sense, not a financial sense. there isn't really anything comparable you can do 99% afk in null, unless you're in an alliance that pays afk cloakers for some reason I guess

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Isn’t mining unironically better in empire now after the nerfs?

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Baculus posted:

I genuinely don't know what people could do in hi sec that is somehow more lucrative than null

is it missions?

I am usual in high sec, but not for the isk.
I just roam around looking for targets to gank, can flip, ninja salvage whatever coms across my path.

I gather hate mails this way they are my precious.

Before the covid and probaly after it is gone, i could not be online for like hours at a time. Due to real life.
So joining fleets is difficult if you constantly are needed in the house.

Killing high sec players I can do in my own time always.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Lol considering this guy was in sundering and then went to fukkin Frat he cant talk

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

mightygerm posted:

Isn’t mining unironically better in empire now after the nerfs?
It's not better in the financial sense but it's a necessary evil since :ccp: decided that making the most basic mineral in the game unavailable in nullsec.

It's better in that you can park an Orca in a belt and gently caress off for half a day, making it one of the better isk-to-effort ratios.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

:ccp: decided that making the most basic mineral in the game unavailable in nullsec.

It's as if :ccp: have no idea what they're doing. Artificially destroy the game economy, then they'll hammer on a "fix" that'll make it worse, while trying to tie in the Triglavian lore into it for added immersion.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

That's actually pretty funny. It begs for a post in GBS about seeing the errors of one's ways by mining in high sec.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

It's not better in the financial sense but it's a necessary evil since :ccp: decided that making the most basic mineral in the game unavailable in nullsec.

It's better in that you can park an Orca in a belt and gently caress off for half a day, making it one of the better isk-to-effort ratios.

Null sec mining is still more profitable but enough to make up for the added risk and added having to pay attention.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Otacon posted:

Whenever a big thing undocks in 1DQ a flurry of "join this fleet" invites are spammed by enemies sitting at insta-undock points.

This pilot said "sure i'll join your fleet!" and was fleetwarped to their doom.

EDIT: I've undocked in cruisers and had the same thing happen to me, so it's not just big things.

I always create my own fleet. Or join an existing fleet like the 1dq safe cyno fleet.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Baculus posted:

is it missions?

AFK orca mining. It makes you less per hour than myrmidon ratting but it's nearly 100% afk. Just check once every 15 min to reassign a drone to a different asteroid.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

idk i couldnt sit in a belt for 12 hours with only very light touch for the same amount of isk I can make in 15 minutes in the abyss and not feel like an idiot. that feels like a phenomenal waste of the sub and the SP

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I mean they aren’t comparable. One is highly active pve and the other is barely active.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

Sickening posted:

I mean they aren’t comparable. One is highly active pve and the other is barely active.

if over the course of however long mining you're spending more than 15-20 minutes of contiguous time doing anything at all, then there's enough basis for a comparison.

also did everyone forget reactions exist? Lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

reactions require roughly 5b initial startup costs

i can leave an orca in highsec afk mining in 15min increments for 8h while i am working from home and bring in more than had i not been doing that, then after im done with work, dock the orca and go do abyssals and restart my reactions

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Baculus posted:

if over the course of however long mining you're spending more than 15-20 minutes of contiguous time doing anything at all, then there's enough basis for a comparison.

also did everyone forget reactions exist? Lol

If we are talking which makes more vs their total attention time then probably no, orca mining probably wins.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

reactions require roughly 5b initial startup costs

What's the initial startup cost? I was under the impression some citadels allow for reactions, so surely you dont need your own pos anymore?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dalael posted:

What's the initial startup cost? I was under the impression some citadels allow for reactions, so surely you dont need your own pos anymore?

Materials to react.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Or you could mine moons in delve afk and if you blow up the alliance buys you a new procurer.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

evilweasel posted:

Materials to react.

Also formulae enough to fill all your slots

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Baculus posted:

is it missions?

I mean you wrote the book on abyssals - an alt in hisec results in many fewer losses while we have such lovely neighbors in Delve.

Sadly it's another "rich get richer" fact of CCP's famine meta. I've got combat pilots in Delve for the way, and I've got orca miner + abyssal running alts in hisec. It's lucrative and safe, but requires a herd of alts trained up over years.

There's a real ceiling for "I have 0 or 1 alts and want to live in nullsec" income potential right now, and I don't think it's healthy.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Even with the war over, and some magical era of ratting begins, id have to use my myrmidon a LOT to pay for like a carrier.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

coelomate posted:

I mean you wrote the book on abyssals - an alt in hisec results in many fewer losses while we have such lovely neighbors in Delve.

Sadly it's another "rich get richer" fact of CCP's famine meta. I've got combat pilots in Delve for the way, and I've got orca miner + abyssal running alts in hisec. It's lucrative and safe, but requires a herd of alts trained up over years.

There's a real ceiling for "I have 0 or 1 alts and want to live in nullsec" income potential right now, and I don't think it's healthy.

Ive been using jump clones and keeping my eyes open for WTs

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
How dangerous is slowboating a freighter anywhere but a few jumps from Jita? I know gankers love to pop pinatas outside of the station and gates, but how prevalent are they, say, two jumps away?

Like if I were to autopilot an ore hauler to three jumps away and then use a webbing alt and direct jumps to finish the run, is this feasable?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Agrikk posted:

How dangerous is slowboating a freighter anywhere but a few jumps from Jita? I know gankers love to pop pinatas outside of the station and gates, but how prevalent are they, say, two jumps away?

Like if I were to autopilot an ore hauler to three jumps away and then use a webbing alt and direct jumps to finish the run, is this feasable?

Do a few jumps while babysitting and ask yourself if you feel safe with that much is floating in space for that long.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Agrikk posted:

As rule Uedama and Hek are known chokepoints. And gankers setup in those systems.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Agrikk posted:

There is a stickied post in Home Ec helpfully entitled "[PSA for Highsec Haulers] How NOT to get ganked in highsec" - go read it if you have access

The danger level goes up with the value of your cargo and as the security of the systems you're piloting through drops. If you're too goddamned lazy to move your webber 3 extra jumps, then you're gonna eat poo poo eventually and you'll deserve it. Autopiloting is a bad idea, period

edit: clarity

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 1, 2021

Pie in the Sky
Apr 16, 2009

whoops here we go again

I used to play EVE back in 07/08, but haven't touched it since then. Figured I might pick it up and see if playing with goons this time around would make it more fun. I sent in a new member application to newbies@, but I have a couple of questions:

1) Will my app get tossed because I look like a spy or something? My SA account was inactive from 2009 till like December/January when I came back and started posting again, but I just realized after I sent in my app that this might look very suspicious? Definitely not a spy, but wouldn't really know how to prove that :shrug:

2) Is it possible to play EVE 'casually' in its current state? How involved do I have to be to have fun with it nowadays?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Pie in the Sky posted:

2) Is it possible to play EVE 'casually' in its current state? How involved do I have to be to have fun with it nowadays?

There's plenty of stuff to do if you don't have the time or patience for 8 hour tidi hellslugs. Plenty of quick, fun fleets go out throughout the day and there are multiple friendly groups doing small gang stuff on the periphery of Delve.

Now is a great time to come back. We have human content living on our literal doorstep.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

SHISHKABOB posted:

Even with the war over, and some magical era of ratting begins, id have to use my myrmidon a LOT to pay for like a carrier.

I miss carrier ratting.

It gave me the incentive to finally train up capitol skills, I got a low pressure environment to practice using fighters, and it was decent Isk and just interesting enough to not hate it.

It was the first time in this game where I actually thought I'd be able to start earning enough to get a super.

Then the one-two punch of blackout and the cyno changes.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Jazzzzz posted:

There is a stickied post in Home Ec helpfully entitled "[PSA for Highsec Haulers] How NOT to get ganked in highsec" - go read it if you have access

The danger level goes up with the value of your cargo and as the security of the systems you're piloting through drops. If you're too goddamned lazy to move your webber 3 extra jumps, then you're gonna eat poo poo eventually and you'll deserve it. Autopiloting is a bad idea, period

edit: clarity

Thanks for the reference.

The issue here is that I've found a quiet system with a ton of belts about a dozen jumps from Jita. I would rather stab my eyeballs with an eraserIt would be tedious to make those jumps in a hauler manually, so I was thinking I could make a staging area a couple jumps away from jita and slowboat there. Then I could finish off the route manually.

But maybe the system is quiet because it sucks to haul poo poo that far.

Pie in the Sky
Apr 16, 2009

whoops here we go again

Rudeboy Detective posted:

There's plenty of stuff to do if you don't have the time or patience for 8 hour tidi hellslugs. Plenty of quick, fun fleets go out throughout the day and there are multiple friendly groups doing small gang stuff on the periphery of Delve.

Now is a great time to come back. We have human content living on our literal doorstep.

Awesome. Thank you!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Agrikk posted:

The issue here is that I've found a quiet system with a ton of belts about a dozen jumps from Jita. I would rather stab my eyeballs with an eraserIt would be tedious to make those jumps in a hauler manually, so I was thinking I could make a staging area a couple jumps away from jita and slowboat there. Then I could finish off the route manually.

Just put up sell orders locally and make hauling someone elses problem.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Pie in the Sky posted:

Definitely not a spy

Sounds like something a spy would say :v:

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Pie in the Sky posted:

I used to play EVE back in 07/08, but haven't touched it since then. Figured I might pick it up and see if playing with goons this time around would make it more fun. I sent in a new member application to newbies@, but I have a couple of questions:

1) Will my app get tossed because I look like a spy or something? My SA account was inactive from 2009 till like December/January when I came back and started posting again, but I just realized after I sent in my app that this might look very suspicious? Definitely not a spy, but wouldn't really know how to prove that :shrug:

extremely suspicious. please report to w6v for proper del;ta sqad indoctrination immediately

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I miss carrier ratting.

It gave me the incentive to finally train up capitol skills, I got a low pressure environment to practice using fighters, and it was decent Isk and just interesting enough to not hate it.

It was the first time in this game where I actually thought I'd be able to start earning enough to get a super.

Then the one-two punch of blackout and the cyno changes.

Same, but titan ratting. Titan 1 I built myself, titan 2 I bought by ratting in titan 1. Dualboxing titan ratting was the best money just about possible in the game at the time and it was great. I think my best hour was on the order of 2.1bil cash, and it was so easy to do.

When the killed it with the bfg nerf I had the cash to buy 2 more hulls but wanted to build up a deeper dread cache so I bought like 12 dreads and a bunch of faxes and carriers instead of a titan. Now with incomes nerfed and titans through the roof pricewise I'll never have a levi or a bus :(

E: and my dreads just sit in 1dq every big fight never undocking. Meanwhile I apparently should have been buying extra supers because my super pilot gets used all the time

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Agrikk posted:

Compress the ore and use pushx to move it?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

L0cke17 posted:

E: and my dreads just sit in 1dq every big fight never undocking.

Same w/ my buffer fit faxes, I should probably trade them for active fits so I can at least go out with baltecs or trains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

coelomate posted:

I have a serious blind spot for players in this situation - and I don't even really know how to help them given how unsafe 1DQ/M2 are rn

I think I was broke as gently caress until I started running 3/4 accounts