Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Lima posted:

Bezos' endgame leaked. Put sound on.

https://i.imgur.com/JD2g4SB.mp4

How would a blimp (airship? I don't know the proper terminology) like that handle puncture wounds? All I can figure is some one is going to shoot that thing with a shotgun when it's flying overhead and have it come crashing down.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think generally you would compartmentalize the interior so that it doens't just go bang like a balloon. Also I think they would generally have a rigid skeleton if they're designed for constant operation and so the thing shouldn't be operating under high pressure to hold its shape. So you shoot a hole in it and it will leak gas out of the hole slowly. And then you need to fix the hole.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

How would a blimp (airship? I don't know the proper terminology) like that handle puncture wounds? All I can figure is some one is going to shoot that thing with a shotgun when it's flying overhead and have it come crashing down.

Compartmentalisation, redundancy, surprisingly tough fabric, and the threat of hell litigation and militarised police response from a man richer than god.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think they have already invented cameras designed to pinpoint incoming gunfire so I would imagine they'd put one on the giant drone ship.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Old style airships handled them quite well as the internal pressure was quite low (as in, they don't pop like a balloon) and they usually had many chambers. They were used occasionally in WWI to decent effect, and could be riddled with machine-gun fire before they even began to lose altitude. And when they did, it was a sedate affair, rather than a Hindenburg-esque fireball.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i'm still hoping for the future where the people subsist by hunting delivery drones with 19th century shotguns

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hot air balloons already have a big hole in the top because it turns out that the big bag of light air doesn't need to be anything close to sealed to lift things up.

Of course it's always possible elon musk gets hold of the design and decides that the lightest thing of all is a vacuum so he builds an airship that catastrophically implodes if you look at it funny.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thought it was a repost at first :golfclap:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

His sister has the patience of a saint.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

What game is this (the knife hand woman one. Not the petition signing one)

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

END OF AN ERROR posted:

What game is this (the knife hand woman one. Not the petition signing one)

The new Resident Evil demo

Roundabout
Oct 31, 2006
It's Crumbelievable!

Lima posted:

Bezos played too much starcraft.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

holttho posted:

Old style airships handled them quite well as the internal pressure was quite low (as in, they don't pop like a balloon) and they usually had many chambers. They were used occasionally in WWI to decent effect, and could be riddled with machine-gun fire before they even began to lose altitude. And when they did, it was a sedate affair, rather than a Hindenburg-esque fireball.

Noted documentaries Red Alert 2, & 3, also demonstrate how resilient zeppelins can be. If you want to take one down you really have to make an effort / have some dedicated anti-air weaponry.
(Also one of the reasons the Hindenburg went kaboom was because it used hydrogen due to a helium shortage/blockade. A helium airship wouldn't be capable of going kaboom in quite the same way. Though hydrogen is of course a lot cheaper to source, so who knows, maybe we'll get Amazon fireblimps to save on costs. )

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Hot air balloons already have a big hole in the top because it turns out that the big bag of light air doesn't need to be anything close to sealed to lift things up.

Of course it's always possible elon musk gets hold of the design and decides that the lightest thing of all is a vacuum so he builds an airship that catastrophically implodes if you look at it funny.

Vacuum dirigibles are very hard to make... for air. We use them all the time underwater.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Lima posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HipTO_7mUOw

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Lima posted:

"Kirov reporting. Encountering enemy."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

"Kirov reporting. Encountering enemy."

*cancels everything and frantically starts building 15 flak tracks

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Lima posted:

What is the audio from?

I'm pretty sure this is Postal 2, which I'm ashamed of playing to this day. I'd still play it again, though.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

What is the audio from?

Mass Effect 1 I think.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Biplane posted:

Mass Effect 1 I think.

Yep!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZitlia-u-4

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beachcomber posted:

I'm pretty sure this is Postal 2, which I'm ashamed of playing to this day. I'd still play it again, though.

Lol, you'll play 4 once it's done. In the latest patch you sneak on the compound of the Wipe Militia and install bidets on their toilets.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Paladinus posted:

His sister has the patience of a saint.

oh brother, you've gotten cheese on my face again, i'm so helpless, how will i get my revenge brother

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AFewBricksShy posted:

They square/cube law is on their side and the pressure difference is low, so it takes a long time for them to deflate.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
So what I hear you guys saying is "shoot holes near the top of the dirigible."

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Hey, the issue is not whether or not you're shooting the dirigibles, definitely shoot the dirigibles! Just gotta make sure it's efficient is all.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'll just rent an old biplane and play real life Crimson Skies.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Nah, it's easy. You shoot it in the Bezos.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hyperlynx posted:

Nah, it's easy. You shoot it in the Bezos.

How is killing a giant parasite going to harm the blimp?

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/sarahlugor/status/1356128884605894656

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

holttho posted:

They invented incendiary bullets to make shooting airships more effective.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I'm not usually one to suggest lounge music to people but this is pretty good.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

That clock is bigger than I thought.

Also, wasn't there a trend of sorts in SA where goons film themselves lifting couches/sofas?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Phy posted:

Vacuum dirigibles are very hard to make... for air. We use them all the time underwater.

We choose to make the vacuum dirigibles and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

toanoradian posted:

That clock is bigger than I thought.

Also, wasn't there a trend of sorts in SA where goons film themselves lifting couches/sofas?

There was a thread in YLLS where Shine challenged goons to lift furniture.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Facebook Aunt posted:

We choose to make the vacuum dirigibles and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.

Very literally.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
My violentmonkey script that keeps the gifvideos appropriately sized and should be showing controls doesn't seem to be showing controls anymore. Anyone know what needs to be changed to fix that?

code:
GM_addStyle("video { max-height: 800px; max-width: 1000px; } ");

window.addEventListener("load", function() {
$("video").attr("controls", "controls");
},true);

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

The chair bit was recorded first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Don't remember this Elmstreet/Star Trek crossover.