Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

Whats that? you don't like creepers spawning in the middle of your factory floor and detonating themselves on your line of MV machines? or the zombie that just tunneled his way though your fuel tanks and generators? or the fact you have to spend a whole day away from everything in a fortified bunker while madly swinging a sword at everything that moves in the hopes they die before they tunnel into your bunker? etc. etc. etc.

Suffering Is FUN......

There are no tunneling mobs in GTNH, and spawning rules don't change, so if you've properly lit your base you still won't get creepers. Bloodmoons are mostly harmless in that pack, you just get more mob spawns and can't skip night. Not being able to skip night means solar power is less effective on that day, of course.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Turn off infernal mobs and special mobs. :v:

I kindof agree with this anyway, but you do get enchanted loot from infernal mobs and some special mobs are useful for their drops, so I've just changed the configs to be less annoying. No fishing mobs, no mobs that require a wooden sword to kill, gravel dirt and drowning creepers are off, Vengeance gets turned off, most of the infernal modifiers that can activate out of combat get turned off too (ghastly and storm most importantly, but gravity and blastoff get disabled too).

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

McFrugal posted:

so if you've properly lit your base you still won't get creepers.

Last time I played GTNH, Ender creepers would happily teleport into a well lit up base. They don't aggro unless you look them in the eyes, though, so less of a problem than they could be. I always regarded them as free ender pearls since walling in their heads means they won't teleport or do anything when poked.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
So in GT:NH, am I correct in that a higher energy tier machine does work 2x faster at 4x the energy cost? For example, an HV centrifuge processing ore will process a piece of dust 4x faster than an LV centrifuge, but use up 8x more EU? I'm trying to figure out if it makes more sense to have more lower tier machines rather than a single higher tier one.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

that's pretty much how it works. for each tier higher, it cuts the time per operation in half while keeping the total energy required equal, doubling the cost per tick, then doubles the cost per tick for no additional speed gain. so lv->mv is 4x. if you do lv->hv, it does those both twice. so it cuts the duration down to (1/2)*(1/2) = 1/4 but multiplies the total cost per tick by 16. to ev would be 1/8 duration for 64x per tick.

for n tiers increase, duration is 1/(2^n) while per tick multiplier is 2^2n

this applies to multiblocks as well, which is important for when you start using higher tier energy hatches, as it'll automatically boost energy tiers completely ruining your efficiency.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Faldoncow posted:

So in GT:NH, am I correct in that a higher energy tier machine does work 2x faster at 4x the energy cost? For example, an HV centrifuge processing ore will process a piece of dust 4x faster than an LV centrifuge, but use up 8x more EU? I'm trying to figure out if it makes more sense to have more lower tier machines rather than a single higher tier one.

You're right -- an array of lower voltage machines will process things faster than a higher tier machine, if you've allotted the same amount of electricity to both and can evenly split the inputs. However, the lower tier machines will pollute more, since there are more of them. (I turned pollution off, though.)

Bear in mind, though, that recipes have a minimum voltage requirement, so you will have to upgrade some machines.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You're right -- an array of lower voltage machines will process things faster than a higher tier machine, if you've allotted the same amount of electricity to both and can evenly split the inputs. However, the lower tier machines will pollute more, since there are more of them. (I turned pollution off, though.)

Do simple machines like macerators, ore washers, centrifuges, etc. (I'm upgrading my ore processing automation) generate pollution?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Faldoncow posted:

Do simple machines like macerators, ore washers, centrifuges, etc. (I'm upgrading my ore processing automation) generate pollution?

I am fairly sure that only things with pollution info in their tooltip cause pollution, so I think those are fine.

In all seriousness, though, just turn off pollution in the config. The devs are going to disable it next update, I believe.

Also, regarding macerators -- that's an exception to the "play wide (lots of low-tier machines) instead of tall (high-tier machines)", because the HV macerator is the first one that you can make that provides byproducts. Some byproducts are really, really, good, like gallium from macerating centrifuged sphalerite.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

converse to this advice I just made a highly unnecessary HV wiremill because i was tired of waiting for my elderly LV wiremill to do thing

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Well this is interesting.
1.16 mod creating instanced loot.
i.e. everyone gets to fully loot every mineshaft/temple/fortress chest.
Never come across an empty chest on a server again.
(As long as they didnt break/take the chest)

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/lootr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxSQWAaD8rk

I can only assume this ups the save file size on the server a little bit though with a larger amount of players.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 28, 2021

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

OgNar posted:

I can only assume this ups the save file size on the server a little bit though with a larger amount of players.

Eh, not really, if it's implemented cleverly. They can leave the boxes completely empty on worldgen, and only fill them with loot once a player opens it for the first time. Then, the box would retain any loot left inside, as well as a flag indicating that the player has already visited. That way, the boxes would, 99% of the time, remain empty and thus not increase the file size unnecessarily.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I also wonder how the handled people breaking and taking the chests. In challenge modpacks, I often rejoice that I found a chest because I wanted the chest and not the contents.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I also wonder how the handled people breaking and taking the chests. In challenge modpacks, I often rejoice that I found a chest because I wanted the chest and not the contents.

There's a faq at https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/lootr that answers that.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

The only negative I see here is if the randomise_seed flag is set to false, which means everyone sees the same loot in each chest, which means one person finds a chest full of diamonds, then they can advertise "hey this chest has 28 diamonds in it" that each new player gets to dupe, which is kinda lovely gameplay.

Of course, the solution to that is to set that flag to true.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Devor posted:

The only negative I see here is if the randomise_seed flag is set to false, which means everyone sees the same loot in each chest, which means one person finds a chest full of diamonds, then they can advertise "hey this chest has 28 diamonds in it" that each new player gets to dupe, which is kinda lovely gameplay.

Of course, the solution to that is to set that flag to true.

On the other hand, if you WANT a chest to contain specific loot...that might be useful to leave set false? If you can set the chests to have specific loot, even better.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'm mucking around with mods again and it's most disappointing that some mods are still lagging far behind the state of the java app. I don't know what Journeymap's excuse is, I'm more sad that Tinker's Construct is still at 1.12.x since that was my favourite starting mod tree, very helpful for getting resources up for more hardcore infrastructure tech trees. I also miss Draconic Evolution, I like being blown up by my own unstable reactor.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Made some titanium ingots, and now I'm in EV tier in GTNH! Though I'm probably just gonna work on automation of cetane-boosted diesel first. I want a distillation tower.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The greatwood scepter quest in GT:NH didn't complete for me. It clearly wants iron caps. Does it expect it to be fully charged or something?

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
So what exactly is the deal with Fabric? Been putting together a 1.16 pack for friends and I keep running into fabric mods.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Minecraft Modding is undergoing the same kind of painful paradigm shift it did from 1.0 jarmods to 1.2.5's entire 'thing'. Difference is we don't know what wins and instead of taking 6 months is still going after 3 years.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Fabric is a lightweight mod framework that's incompatible with Forge. I have not used it myself, but my understanding is that the load times are ridiculously faster. Additionally, Fabric is where the jellysquid optimization mods (sodium/lithium/phosphor) are, since the mod dev (jellysquid) got ran out of the Forge ecosystem due to the Forge developers having inpenetrable egos. I don't know the story very well.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i've used fabric mods on vanilla servers. poo poo like autotorch, minimap mods, tool autoreplace when they break, etc.

i like dicking around in vanilla every so often (and then mostly get caught up in redstone), but holy poo poo the qol is like 10 years behind modded

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The consensus as I see it is that Fabric runs so much better it's not even a competition but way more people are developing for Forge because of what it allows. So Fabric mods are mostly small tweaks and quality of life stuff, whereas the big content mods are almost all Forge specific and will likely never be ported.
Which is a shame, because it's generally those dense modpacks that need performance improvements and faster load times more than anything else. Nothing like a modpack that takes 10 minutes to initialize, because for some reason Forge doesn't save any of the huge cache files it rebuilds every time!

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

The consensus as I see it is that Fabric runs so much better it's not even a competition but way more people are developing for Forge because of what it allows. So Fabric mods are mostly small tweaks and quality of life stuff, whereas the big content mods are almost all Forge specific and will likely never be ported.
Which is a shame, because it's generally those dense modpacks that need performance improvements and faster load times more than anything else. Nothing like a modpack that takes 10 minutes to initialize, because for some reason Forge doesn't save any of the huge cache files it rebuilds every time!

It would be nice if the forge team actually decided that rebuilding everything every time you load is dumb. Though 1.16 modpacks do load to the menu faster than 1.12 ones did, in my limited experience. Doesn’t help that forge hosed loading into the world itself removing all that time saved.

Enigmatica 6 loads so much faster into the main menu than E2 Expert does for me, but E2E doesn’t take 3 minutes to load into the actual world.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The reason I stopped trying to play FTB:Interactions is that it took 12 minutes to boot up.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
I see what you mean now about needing so much TNT/Toluene.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Been awhile since I played, was thinking of upgrading from 1.12 to 1.16. What kind of stuff does 1.16 add to the game?

ewe2 posted:

I'm mucking around with mods again and it's most disappointing that some mods are still lagging far behind the state of the java app. I don't know what Journeymap's excuse is, I'm more sad that Tinker's Construct is still at 1.12.x since that was my favourite starting mod tree, very helpful for getting resources up for more hardcore infrastructure tech trees. I also miss Draconic Evolution, I like being blown up by my own unstable reactor.

No wait, nevermind I think I'll stick with 1.12. I only stopped playing because I was getting 10 fps. I'm using a 200 mod modpack though so I might make a copy and delete every mod I don't actually use. (I get about 300fps in vanilla)

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
It's true you do lose a lot in the switch from 1.12 to 1.16. The mods I miss the most are Twilight Forest, The Betweenlands, Mowzie's Mobs, RTG, and Streams. There is still one pretty compelling reason to upgrade: Create 0.3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDIuWv7ROi8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCI9EF-GCII

Besides Create, you get the Forge ports of BetterEnd and (soon) BetterNether, Tetra (sort of an evolved Tinkers Construct), TerraForged, Alex's Mobs, and a lot more features from 1.12 standbys like IE, Quark, and Charm. Also, you get access to datapacks, a completely new "mod" format that is considerably easier for the player to tweak. A few excellent ones that focus on worldgen:

Incendium
WallsOfConquest
End City

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 1, 2021

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I'm still sad that twitch went "gently caress minecraft mods". It was the best rapid custom modpack maker I know of and it took 99% of the work out of "throwing mods in a modpack".

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

SugarAddict posted:

I'm still sad that twitch went "gently caress minecraft mods". It was the best rapid custom modpack maker I know of and it took 99% of the work out of "throwing mods in a modpack".

GDLauncher works better than Twitch/Curseforge ever did.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Twilight Forest is playable in 1.16 but you have to go through some hoops for the jar until they release it on curseforge

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

GDLauncher works better than Twitch/Curseforge ever did.

I don't agree with that, but it's almost as good feature-wise.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Making, debugging and administrating a 1.16 pack/server is also a massive pain in the rear end with things being in an early state and a bunch of tools missing like tick usage profiling mods and so on. Also every mod dev seemingly decided to make their mod 100% more difficult to configure for no apparent reason. There are at least a few nice features, granted.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Black Pants posted:

Also every mod dev seemingly decided to make their mod 100% more difficult to configure for no apparent reason. There are at least a few nice features, granted.

From what I can understand that's probably because Forge hasn't bothered to reimplement whatever the modders were using in 1.12.

https://leo3418.github.io/2020/09/09/forge-mod-config-screen.html posted:

One year later, Minecraft Forge’s configuration GUI framework for the latest Minecraft version was still a work in progress from an external contributor, and the configuration command of my mod had exceeded its intended lifetime, so I finally decided to stop the infinite wait for the framework and invest some time in figuring out how to recreate the GUI without it. If it were not that external contributor’s effort on rewriting the framework, I would bet the core developers of Minecraft Forge either have forgotten it already or do not even bother to reimplement it.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

isndl posted:

From what I can understand that's probably because Forge hasn't bothered to reimplement whatever the modders were using in 1.12.

There was some other thing that the Forge devs just didn't bother to reimplement...oh yeah.

TELLING YOU WHICH loving MOD WAS THE WRONG VERSION OR MISSING WHEN YOU TRY TO CONNECT TO A SERVER. The information still exists, you just have to go digging for it in the debug.log.

All the new fuckery in where configs are (client vs. server vs WORLD) is Forge's fault too, apparently they decided that making everything MORE DIFFICULT was COOL AND GOOD.

I cannot wait for more poo poo to make the jump to Fabric and leave the rickety bucket of gently caress behind.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 1, 2021

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Oh I don't mean with the mod config screen, though that is annoying. I'm talking about the new, half-uptaken paradigm of 'have client, common, and server config files' like dragonshardz mentioned. Also going from generally simpler methods of adding custom content to datapack-imitating json nonsense.

The particular thing that sparked that comment was Farming for Blockheads' market entry definition config.

Previously, you'd use this:
code:
"custom entries": {
    "minecraft:seed":"2*minecraft:emerald"
}
Which has now blown out into
code:
"customEntries": [
  {
    "output": {
      "item": "minecraft:seed"
    },
    "payment": {
      "item": "minecraft:emerald",
      "count": 2
    },
    "category": "seeds"
  }
]
On the other hand, you can /reload to reload recipe scripts in-game and there's also an option Forge has to allow mods to respond to out-of-game config changes in real time, so there's that.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 1, 2021

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Black Pants posted:

Oh I don't mean with the mod config screen, though that is annoying. I'm talking about the new, half-uptaken paradigm of 'have client, common, and server config files' like dragonshardz mentioned. Also going from generally simpler methods of adding custom content to datapack-imitating json nonsense.

The particular thing that sparked that comment was Farming for Blockheads' market entry definition config.

Previously, you'd use this:
code:
"custom entries": {
    "minecraft:seed":"2*minecraft:emerald"
}
Which has now blown out into
code:
"customEntries": [
  {
    "output": {
      "item": "minecraft:seed"
    },
    "payment": {
      "item": "minecraft:emerald",
      "count": 2
    },
    "category": "seeds"
  }
]
On the other hand, you can /reload to reload recipe scripts in-game and there's also an option Forge has to allow mods to respond to out-of-game config changes in real time, so there's that.

Yeah that's the forge devs switching how everything works for no discernible reason, as they've spent the last decade or so slowly disappearing up their own asses. Things that used to be completely configurable like Cyclic are now in three parts that each have a tenth of the options.

The JSON poo poo really fucks me off, if I'm learning javascript I'd prefer to be learning it for something useful.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Eox posted:

Yeah that's the forge devs switching how everything works for no discernible reason, as they've spent the last decade or so slowly disappearing up their own asses. Things that used to be completely configurable like Cyclic are now in three parts that each have a tenth of the options.

The JSON poo poo really fucks me off, if I'm learning javascript I'd prefer to be learning it for something useful.

It's one part Forge devs disappearing up their own asses (client, common, server, and WORLD configs) to one part dealing with Mojang arbitrarily deciding that EVERYTHING IS NOW JSON

That said, please someone port Create to Fabric so Forge can gently caress off and die forever.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 2, 2021

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Fabric will probably slowly expand their hooks so that more powerful mods can be made with it without wrecking the load times, and then we will be free of Forge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

dragonshardz posted:

That said, please someone port Create to Fabric so Forge can gently caress off and die forever.

One of the guys that does tutorials for MC mods said hes holding off on Create for awhile because its being changed/upgraded again.