Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on. That show (Macross 7) rules for getting me into Yoshiki Fukuyama, man he rocks. Catchy stuff. Fun show in general.

The original is super drat awesome. And Do You Remember Love of course.

And I feel like Martian Successor Nadesico and Irresponsible Captain Tylor deserve mention, for other groovy 90s thingies. Would go nicely with Macross 7. Also, Legend of Black Heaven for more space rockin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
lol that's a good account

https://twitter.com/AhabsArtwork/status/1352482566645948422?s=20

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Nice.

I think my favourite bit in og Macross was the recap episode where Hikaru jumbles all the events up in his mind and thinks he road a bike to the moon and then the Macross intercom is being used to mock him for, riding a bike into outer space.

And I honestly was shocked how quickly Milia and Max got together.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I tried watching ML: Schwarzesmarken and while it looks way better than total eclipse did I have to ask what the gently caress the screenwriters were thinking re: the female lead who has no idea what life in east germany is like. Did they think their viewers were idiots? Even if they aren't familiar with european history it's not like there isn't a totalitarian state literally across the sea from japan that the viewers are very well aware of.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
The only thing i remember about schwarzesmarken is someone being killed by getting shield slammed by a tower shield covered in reactive armour, so I am obliged to like it despite any other faults.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why would they use reactive armor when the only projectile weaponry is space-crabs catapulting themselves at you and lasers. (Unless you're america and plan on going to war with the rest of the world after the beta are finished).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

why would they use reactive armor when the only projectile weaponry is space-crabs catapulting themselves at you and lasers. (Unless you're america and plan on going to war with the rest of the world after the beta are finished).

Everyone in Muv Luv is planning to go to war with the rest of the world. Some even before the Beta get finished off.

The big difference for America is that they still have the manpower and resources to make a go of it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Basically Muv-Luv is a very dumb setting even by this genre's standards

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

counterpoint: it has russian fighter jets as mechs so its dope.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

counterpoint: it has russian fighter jets as mechs so its dope.

I'm pretty sure "dope" and "dumb" are not mutually exclusive. Especially not in this genre.

For example, Mazinkaizer SKL. A show that goes around like it doesn't have a thought in its head, which leaves more energy free to kick rear end.

Sadly, Mazinkaiser isn't so good at being badass. While Mazinkaizer asked the deep, important questions, like "Wouldn't it be better if we replaced Koji Kabuto with Ryoma and Hayato?", Mazinkaiser just goes "You like Mazinger, right?"

And... not really.

Mazinkaiser is even more boilerplate versions of the pretty thin basic characters. Even Boss feels more one dimensional (with worse gags. The first two episodes haven't once had him declare that, as a comic relief character, he's invincible, for example.). I get that all it was meant to be was a better animated version of the old cartoon, but man. I expect better even from my mindless robobiff.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 5, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://twitter.com/matrixreloaded_/status/1354127722394607616?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://twitter.com/JimZub/status/1354585201003945992?s=20

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/muvluvseries/status/1344681674223841281?s=20

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rahxephon Rewatch post #5

EP 15-16

_____

Make sure you've packed spare batteries for your flashlight, because we're going into some dark places.

Episode 15 is it's own separate thing. It's a flashback episode looking at the childhood of three minor characters. Itsuki, Quon's guardian and cursed amulet aficionado, is the most significant character and the only one that I've mentioned in previous posts.

This episode shows the Bahben Foundation's ideology by looking at how they indoctrinate the children of a boarding school. They're strictly disciplined and taught to obey the unseen Lord Bahben, that some humans are better than others depending on their blood purity, and choir.

The children discover a mud creature in the caverns beneath the school. It resembles something between a dolem and Rahxephon's egg, and was the Bahben Foundation's early attempt at creating artificial life. The foundation discarded it after they falsely assumed it was stillborn.

Two of the children use the creature to escape the boarding school in an attempt to find their parents and reunite the creature with its family. Sadly, the creature can't exist outside the musical vibrations of the facility and it crumbles. The school master tells the kids they have no parents and that the creature had no family. The End.

_____

After that heartwarming episode we see the clone kids have grown up to serve the evil conspiracy. They discuss what to do with Quon and Ayato, and decide to take Quon for breeding and dispose of Ayato. Itsuki is clearly not happy with this decision, but he avoids causing a scene.

Meanwhile, things are going to poo poo on paradise island. Ayato learning (some of) the truth and Quon's reassignment has caused a collapse of the general social order. The whole episode is people talking past each other, punctuated by moments of uncomfortable truths coming to light.

Megumi is basically Ayato's only real friend. Ironically, she has no idea what's up with Ayato and just happens to be coincidentally going through some poo poo of her own.

Even at this late stage no one in authority will be straight with him, and for his part Ayato is past playing nice with the adults.

Haruka did have this coming.

Quon finally presents a solution to his problem: take your robot and go home. Hey, that's what those clone kids tried to do in the previous episode!

Quon wants to bum a ride with him to Tokyo, on account of that's where the egg to her own Rahxephon is. The plan to use her as breeding stock might have factored into her decision to leave, too.

Ayato has some good expressions this episode.

Itsuki and Haruka were waiting for them in the Rahxephon's weird hanger/temple/pyramid. They figured the kids would want/need to leave and decided to wish them good luck (and, in Itsuki's case, falsify some paperwork).

TERRA, now lead by the Bahben foundation, orders the Vermilion to bring the Rahxephon back. Elzy catches up to Ayato and commands him to return, but Haruka (who's stolen away on the mecha) warns Ayato that he'll be killed if he returns. A dolem comes out of Tokyo Jupiter and attacks the Vermilion, giving the Rahxephon a chance to enter.

After escaping from the dolem, the Vermilion follows behind it, carrying Elzy and Haruka into the city.

_____

This is a little shorter post than some of these has been, but the next one might be long. The following three episodes explain the plot before ending on a very good episode.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 13, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That’s a promo for a phone gacha game, by the by. It’s cute.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Oh hey I vaguely remember that Rahxephon flashback episode, but only after having read a summary of it. Thanks for doing the retrospective, its been long enough that I remember Rahxephon more from what it does in SRW than for what actually happened in the show.

RE Muv-Luv: That part of the setting I would say is pretty realistic. People are not rational actors and I think we have plenty of recent examples of humans being extremely eager to engage in suicidal actions just to have a short-term good time or merely to make sure the people they hate will die first. Like have you looked at global warming.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The unrealistic part is neither nato nor the ussr would let east germany go it alone. They do not nearly have enough sovreignity to do the BS they do in Schwarzmarken

also

https://twitter.com/LowPolyRobot/status/1354948430553112585?s=20

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

This is a little shorter post than some of these has been, but the next one might be long. The following three episodes explain the plot before ending on a very good episode.

Looking forward to it.

And even short, it's more in depth than my comments on the next two episodes I watched of Mazinkaiser.

To be fair, that's partially because there's very little to say about Mazinkaiser. Where SKL is glorious in its commitment to violence over narrative, Mazinkaiser is just the standard kind of thoughtless. It's not a show where there was a conscious decision to screw that noise vis a vis deep themes, but one where no-one on staff even considered being more than a Saturday morning cartoon where they could show some tits.

One thing that stands out, though, is the lack of escalation. If you look at something like Gurren or Getter, you really get a sense of scale as things go, where whatever big robots are punching each other later on feel much more powerful than the first big robots. Meanwhile, Mazinkaiser is supposed to be a massive increase in power over Mazinger, but it basically just feels like another round of the same. The machine more powerful than God or the Devil still struggles with every basic monster of the week.

In fact, the plots of episodes 3 and 4 come from the manga, with Mazinkaiser filling the Mazinger role without any changes to portray it as an improvement.

I didn't expect much from Mazinkaiser. At best, I thought it would be dumb fun like SKL (but less good, with a duller lead), but it didn't even come close to managing that. It's just an unambitious 70s MoW with better animation.

I know that expecting much from Mazinger is bound for disappointment, but... yep. Mazinger is still disappointing.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I can dig, cool seeing everyone's takes. I love Mazinkaiser, and that movie/ova Vs Dark General (Daishogun), that movie is just epic as hell to me. Plus the music by JAM Project is awe inspiring, I listen to that stuff from time to time. Genuinely stirring music. "Goodbye, soldier."

But, I also have a nostalgic connection to it, just one of the greats in my book.

Just to keep it even handed, I'll name a few that did not spark joy for me. Detonator Orgun (quite befuddling), Blue Gender, and uh Gasaraki. Back when you'd get every cool looking anime dvd.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Personally I love the main OVA for Mazinkaiser, but I loathe the movie, part of it being that Great Mazinger gets chumped by the bad guys from his own show(it's mitigated a little once you realize he's for some reason using the crappy Great Mazinger from the start of the OVA rather than the good one from the end of it that's supposed to be almost as strong as Mazinkaiser is but still) and I've never liked at all the trope that both Go Nagai and Ishikawa liked where they introduce a potentially interesting group of new characters just to kill them off for cheap drama and edginess factor*, like is done with the Mazinger Army

*if we're being brutally honest I think both men are excellent character/robot/monster designers but lovely writers that mostly get idolized for the former fact and the fact that they originated a lot of concepts that later anime and manga creators would use much better(really this applies to most of the early wave of people in the industry)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Personally I love the main OVA for Mazinkaiser, but I loathe the movie, part of it being that Great Mazinger gets chumped by the bad guys from his own show(it's mitigated a little once you realize he's for some reason using the crappy Great Mazinger from the start of the OVA rather than the good one from the end of it that's supposed to be almost as strong as Mazinkaiser is but still) and I've never liked at all the trope that both Go Nagai and Ishikawa liked where they introduce a potentially interesting group of new characters just to kill them off for cheap drama and edginess factor*, like is done with the Mazinger Army

*if we're being brutally honest I think both men are excellent character/robot/monster designers but lovely writers that mostly get idolized for the former fact and the fact that they originated a lot of concepts that later anime and manga creators would use much better(really this applies to most of the early wave of people in the industry)

I mean, I'm a Chainsaw Man fan, so I'm pretty sure I surrendered the legal right to complain about offing characters in bulk lots. That said, like anything else there's an art to it. Like, in Devilman, it's part of the way the manga jumps over the final battle, amping up the unsettling feeling of it. There's all these cool designs, the apocalypse is here... and then they die like everyone else. The end. Contrasting, Getter's international team in Go lasted long enough that their deaths felt like things were ramping up. You might not have cared too much that a Canadian pilot was dead, but that meant the next operation was more difficult.

It's things like the Mazinger Army specifically where I think you have a point. It was just death for the sake of death, without any real narrative payoff.

As for Kaiser, I actually kinda liked episode 5. Leaning fully into gag territory worked better for me. The action is basic, the characters are thin, and the jokes are dumb... but I like a good stupid joke, and "villain in disguise is undone by the protagonists being dumbasses" is a classic of the genre.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, I'm a Chainsaw Man fan, so I'm pretty sure I surrendered the legal right to complain about offing characters in bulk lots. That said, like anything else there's an art to it. Like, in Devilman, it's part of the way the manga jumps over the final battle, amping up the unsettling feeling of it. There's all these cool designs, the apocalypse is here... and then they die like everyone else. The end. Contrasting, Getter's international team in Go lasted long enough that their deaths felt like things were ramping up. You might not have cared too much that a Canadian pilot was dead, but that meant the next operation was more difficult.

It's things like the Mazinger Army specifically where I think you have a point. It was just death for the sake of death, without any real narrative payoff.

As for Kaiser, I actually kinda liked episode 5. Leaning fully into gag territory worked better for me. The action is basic, the characters are thin, and the jokes are dumb... but I like a good stupid joke, and "villain in disguise is undone by the protagonists being dumbasses" is a classic of the genre.

I think it ultimately stems from me having a very different perspective on how fiction should use death compared to most people who make it, I'm a firm believer that it needs to have purpose and it needs to be a drat good one at that and even then it should be used minimally

Part of me blames my inner Catholic for this, part of me blames lingering mental trauma from watching the Battle Angel OVA at way too young an age(I still get "Vietnam Flashbacks" about that poor dog even though it's probably been more than 20 years since I last saw it happen)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The Mazinkaiser series is absolutely pretty much "Mazinger Z except Mazinkaiser instead", whereas the movie is the one stop shop for "Mazinkaiser is a God Or Devil".

I'll always love that the entire first half of the Mazinkaiser movie is the villains desperately struggling to stop Kouji from reaching Kaiser because they are terrified of the prospect of it happening, and it turns out that that was a very wise plan.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Weird BIAS posted:

e: also timing and availability for where I could watch it meant og wasn't available to me at the time.

As a nice followup to OG Macross, here is my periodic reminder that Frontier is on YouTube in 720.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnBgMIYA874

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I liked Mazinkaiser when I first watched it back in the day — not in the least because it was one of the more available super robot anime at a time when they largely weren't — but even then I could tell that it was just the "greatest hits" version of the Mazinger franchise.

It does suffer from making the Mazin' too invincible. Most of the good action is in the first episode, and from then on the OVA is a showcase without any real stakes. There isn't even the pretense of suspense (Kouji will not die in magma) and without that the show basically gets by on it's humor. And to its credit, Baron Ashura in disguise is some good poo poo.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

mllaneza posted:

As a nice followup to OG Macross, here is my periodic reminder that Frontier is on YouTube in 720.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnBgMIYA874

I have watched the final episode so many times that I only really need the audio to be able to play it in my head, subtitles and all. I fuckin' love that show.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Rahxephon Rewatch post #6

EP 17-19

_____

At no point in any of these episodes will any character ask permission.

In the time since Ayato left, the people of Tokyo Jupiter have become sedate and robotic. Everyone speaks in monotone, they don't seem to have much long term memory, and everyone ignores the giant floating dolems that hover ominously everywhere. (Cf. Big O and SSSS Gridman.) Haruka and Elvy have followed in on the Vermilion. They're not amused with the situation.

Ayato meets up with Asahina and Mamoru, his old friends from Eps 1 and 2. Asahina is pretty worked up. She's (mostly) held onto her memory but has noticed other people losing theirs. She's also noticed people's blood changing colors. Mamoru is pretty aggressive in telling her not to ask questions.

Oh hay, this is the reverse of the boarding school children's situation from episode 15.

Ayato confronts his mother. She tells him that they're both Mulians. Most of the "original" Mulians have died long ago, and what Mulians are left can only exist in this universe when synchronized with a human through a dolem. That is, dolems are machines that allow extra-universal Mulians to co-opt the body of humans, and destroying a dolem kills the human and Mulian synchronized with it.

Ayato and Quon are exceptions, artificially created Mulians which are native to this universe. Moreover, they are instrumentalists (effectively reality warpers). The whole Tokyo Jupiter fiasco was to ensure a safe environment for Ayato to mature. They don't explicitly spell out what plans they have for him or his powers, but a few easy guesses present themselves.

(Reika/Ixtli shows up in a mirror to give commentary at some points and to stress how Ayato is an "Ollin," and not a mere instrumentalist. Ayato's mother does not appreciate this.)

Ayato decides he's heard enough. He rendezvous with the Rahxephon, meeting up with a wounded Asahina in the process (she attempted to cross a military line) and together they board the robot and leave the city.

Quon's doing egg things during this time (safely evading the Mulians in the process). Reika/Ixtli is with her, reassuring her that it's cool for her to be doing egg things.

Haruka watches helplessly, having managed to do absolutely nothing during this time. Tough luck, Haruka.

_____

The show explains Haruka's deal in these episodes, if you hadn't pieced it together. She and Ayato were girlfriend/boyfriend in middle school. She was out of town when Tokyo Jupiter became isolated, and the time differential between the two means that now she is now 29 while Ayato is only 17. (2 years in Tokyo = 12 years outside it.) She is still crushing hard over the boy, a fact that has stunted her ability to form relationships. (Her one attempt was with Itsuki — maybe it was for the best that one didn't work out.)

She was the also the original, real Reika Mishima. Ayato doesn't know this, and she's not telling him.

Ayato, for his part, initially visualized Ixtli (Rahxephon's emanation) as Reika out of a partial remembrance of his old crush, his memory of her distorted by the Mulian's magical efforts to keep the populace of Tokyo placid. However, as he's come to understand and accept Ixtli/Reika as not being human, he's seemed to have moved on from this infatuation.

He still has some problems with women due to all the poo poo his mother and Haruka put him through, but he's maybe coping pretty well? In particular, he's very willing to help other victimized people, such as Quon and Asahina.

All of this is to say, from what the series has shown so far, Haruka seems to be out of luck.

_____

All the world will be your enemy, Ollin of 1000 enemies.

The Rahxephon conveniently escapes from detection in a "magnetic storm." What follows is a very atmospheric episode, told primarily from Asahina's perspective.

Ayato and Asahina pawn their watches (showing different times!) to get some cash, which is enough to get them new clothes, a train ticket to a larger city, and a couple nights stay in a hotel. Astute viewers will notice that they can only afford a room with one bed. (Ayato gallantly sleeps on the floor.)

Government propaganda denounces the blue blooded Mulians in between movie showings at a theater the kids visit.

Asahina puts up a brave face for Ayato, but privately she has some heavy problems. Freed from the Mulian mind magic, she's coming to understand how very weird her upbringing was. For example, she's pretty sure she doesn't have any family. When she dreams, she sees another "self" that mocks her. Sometimes her reflections shows a different face. She has frequent anxiety attacks. She keeps all of this from Ayato, but writes her thoughts in a journal.

For his part, Ayato seems as stable and content as we've seen him. He seems to enjoy working, doing manual jobs that pay by the day, earning just enough to keep the two of them fed and housed.

Ayato recognizes he can't hide forever. He tells Asahina he mostly just wants time to collect his thoughts.

After some time (days? weeks?) Asahina breaks down crying in front of Ayato, but isn't able to explain why. Ayato isn't a dope, however. He talks to her about his own experiences, telling her how he came to learn that his mother wasn't his real mother, how he learned he wasn't a normal human, and the terror he felt at the time. Asahina is relieved and touched that Ayato understands her. She embraces him. He reciprocates. Except...

Except, up until now, the robots fights in the series have largely taken the form of Rahxephon protecting Ayato from sexually coded attacks from femininely coded dolems.

So in response to being shown affection, the Rahxephon activates. In response to the Rahxephon activating, a dolem appears. As we were told last episode, destroying a dolem kills the human synchronized with it.

Government Agent Colombo finds a bereaved Ayato on the floor by the bed, next to Asahina's body.

_____

Episode 19, "Blue Friend — Ticket To Nowhere," is largely considered the high point of the series. I've read people who've recommended RahXephon because of how good this episode was. I've spoken to people who've told me they didn't care for this series at all — except for this episode, which they liked. There is an old series of Nico Douga videos titled "30 Most Moving Scenes in Mecha Anime." Master Asia's death from G Gundam was #3, the final action of the Reinforce Jr from Victory Gundam was #2, and Blue Friend — Ticket To Nowhere was #1.

It is a drat good episode! It's the tragic but completely logical conclusion of everything the show has set up up until now.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 13, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1356286196427710471?s=20

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Schwarzwald posted:

Episode 19, "Blue Friend — Ticket To Nowhere," is largely considered the high point of the series.
It's probably been more than 15 years since I've watched RahXephon, and thinking about Episode 19 while reading your writeup still gave me a visceral melancholy feeling. It's a really strong episode.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The setup and payoff of episode 19 is absolutely masterful. One of the most tragic parts of the episode is when the Dolem appears, Ayato gets into the Rahxephon - and for possibly the first time in the series, he's actually fired up to be there. He's fighting completely on his own terms for possibly the first time in the show, entirely because he wants to, because now he has something he actually cares about unconditionally and wants to protect after so much time spent being a confused press-ganged conscript being fed a gigantic load of half-truths and outright lies from his supposed "allies".

Which of course makes the conclusion of the fight absolutely soul-wrenching.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Kanos posted:

The setup and payoff of episode 19 is absolutely masterful. One of the most tragic parts of the episode is when the Dolem appears, Ayato gets into the Rahxephon - and for possibly the first time in the series, he's actually fired up to be there. He's fighting completely on his own terms for possibly the first time in the show, entirely because he wants to, because now he has something he actually cares about unconditionally and wants to protect after so much time spent being a confused press-ganged conscript being fed a gigantic load of half-truths and outright lies from his supposed "allies".

Which of course makes the conclusion of the fight absolutely soul-wrenching.

Funny, rebuild 2.0 did the same with Shinji at the end.

Edit: spoilered.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
This is dumb but it's driving me crazy. The podcast E1 did a mecha parody episode, and I can't place all the music they used as BGM. I recognized The Wings of a Boy that Killed Adolescence from Gundam Wing and Beyond The Time from Char's Counterattack, and the Trigun theme song in the commercial, but the others elude me. Can anybody help me out?

https://soundcloud.com/episode-one-868768631/e1-exodus-gaiden-overdrive-generation-78

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I'm a proper sucker for Pacific Rim, and a proper series should let them delve into a world built around kaiju versus mecha action where the movies mostly skimmed over it. Definitely down for this even if it's nothing amazing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the premise is excellent, which is enough for me to give it a try.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/muvluvseries/status/1357530191656964096?s=20

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the premise is excellent, which is enough for me to give it a try.

I'll keep an eye on it, and I do love jury-rigged mechs. The problem for me with a Pacific Rim version of this premise is they put a lot of emphasis in the good film on how much maintenance Jaegers needed, that they were hangar queens that cost more than an aircraft carrier with a massive crew of dedicated specialists. Makes it slightly harder to square with a ragtag group of survivors managing upkeep.

Also, finished Mazinkaiser.

Yep.

That was an OVA series, I guess.

I'm almost impressed that the final fight revolved around the hero getting two mid fight upgrades, one fueled by a random ghost saying that he was good at Mazinger now.

There isn't really much to say beyond that. I've seen a lot of mech OVAs, some much better, some much worse, but few have felt this unambitious. It's just... Mazinger, with a different main robot design.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

I have the rest of the series, but honestly I'm still traumatized from my playthrough in 2011

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcWUdz4DDek

Full Pacific Rim Netflix trailer

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
It looks fine. Any of you guys ever see that show with the giant artificial flesh monster? I get a similar vibe from that trailer; a show that is fine and reasonably entertaining but doesn't do anything well enough to be memorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
It definitely seems like pacific rim but an order of magnitude more typically anime.