Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Even better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

What's the typical time between kickstarter fulfillment and the promos going up on BGG?

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
Some guy is going full tilt in the Radlands comments section claiming he totally created the game/aesthetic/mechanics back in 2016, 2014, or 2013. And holds a trademark on the name.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Combaticus posted:

Some guy is going full tilt in the Radlands comments section claiming he totally created the game/aesthetic/mechanics back in 2016, 2014, or 2013. And holds a trademark on the name.

A quick search of the trademark search system doesn’t turn up any “radlands” trademarks, so unless I’m missing something at least that part seems to be bull.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Combaticus posted:

I mean like.. 'potentially'? Dude in questions is Krayola if other people want to have a look.

He's posted some stuff on his instagram.
https://www.instagram.com/mr_krayola/

Like he's having a rant about 'his' colour scheme, but Ye Olde 80s CGA/EGA Palette has become popular again in recent years for retro reasons.

He says he has a game published called Radlands.
Best I could find was ANOTHER game called The Radlands - https://boardgamegeek.com/rpgitem/216596/radlands

So there's a bunch of... stuff at the moment, and he's being somewhat coy about his claims and stuff.
He doesn't seem to be doing himself any favours if he does have a valid case, and it strikes me as being awfully coy with some info with a "look it up" regarding trademarks.

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology

Stickman posted:

A quick search of the trademark search system doesn’t turn up any “radlands” trademarks, so unless I’m missing something at least that part seems to be bull.

Infinitum posted:

So there's a bunch of... stuff at the moment, and he's being somewhat coy about his claims and stuff.
He doesn't seem to be doing himself any favours if he does have a valid case, and it strikes me as being awfully coy with some info with a "look it up" regarding trademarks.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if this was IoSM material or KS thread material. A lot of people point out in the comments that even if they had filed a trademark back then it'd have expired by now.
I don't think this guy has any standing. It sucks that he apparently worked on something thematically similar, and I'd think it was suspicious if there were more than just neon colors and a name in common.

Combaticus fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 31, 2021

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

A sort of similar thing happened with Disposable Heroes - two seperate people came forward and tried to scare me off cause they'd made games with similar names. At least that was mostly email tho, sucks that this dude is making GBS threads up the KS comments so fervently.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Infinitum posted:

I mean like.. 'potentially'? Dude in questions is Krayola if other people want to have a look.

He's posted some stuff on his instagram.
https://www.instagram.com/mr_krayola/

Like he's having a rant about 'his' colour scheme, but Ye Olde 80s CGA/EGA Palette has become popular again in recent years for retro reasons.

He says he has a game published called Radlands.
Best I could find was ANOTHER game called The Radlands - https://boardgamegeek.com/rpgitem/216596/radlands

LOLWUT at dude's Insta being chock full of rips on other people's poo poo. Sure would be a shame if this is what got The Mouse's attention on him.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I've been playing games with a white/cyan/magenta/black color scheme since the mid 80's on my PCjr.

This is not a unique color scheme

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Drama aside, for people put off by the relatively high cost of the deluxe components Roxley has stated that they plan on releasing a non-deluxe version to retail.

Roxley posted:

We of course understand that a deluxe card game is not necessarily accessible to everyone. As such, we plan on releasing a more basic version of the game after the Kickstarter is fulfilled.

Of course that may or may not manifest, but it sounds like they are are aware of the concern and planning on offering alternatives.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smonex/exclusive-3d-wooden-map-for-gloomhaven-board-game-by-smonex/description

The path to a successful kickstarter....

(1) Create a gorgeous wooden map for a popular game
(2) Have enough cash for a team of like 11 people to craft a solid and well-produced campaign page complete with some impressive animations and appealing add-ons
(3) Produce a quality video that even promises eventual Frosthaven maps
(4) Pay a Facebook marketer god knows how much to feed ads into interested eyeballs
(5) Fund on the first day

Oh I missed step zero it seems -

(0) Make sure none of the 11 people on staff who have presumably spent months working on this thing ever think that maybe they should contact Cephalofair for a licensing arrangement for using all their poo poo.

Which leads to

(6) Kickstarter pulls the rug out, sad trombone sounds

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Holy poo poo, the difference between early bird and not early bird is $50. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"Licensing? I don't know the meaning of the word."

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

Holy poo poo, the difference between early bird and not early bird is $50. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

Probably the same person who thought it was totally cool and fine to not talk about licensing any of the stuff if I had to guess.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Two projects just dropped:

Everyway 25th anniversary edition is an old diceless game by Jonathan Tweet (although I don't know if he's involved with this version). It uses Tarot and art cards for inspiration.

Maquis: 2nd Edition is a solo worker-placement game about being in La Resistance. It's a small footprint and plays pretty quickly so it's something you can bust out and play on a TV tray. There's an upgrade kit for $5 if you already own the first edition.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Evil Mastermind posted:

Everyway 25th anniversary edition is an old diceless game by Jonathan Tweet (although I don't know if he's involved with this version). It uses Tarot and art cards for inspiration.

Maquis: 2nd Edition is a solo worker-placement game about being in La Resistance. It's a small footprint and plays pretty quickly so it's something you can bust out and play on a TV tray. There's an upgrade kit for $5 if you already own the first edition.

Maquis is solid, I'll definitely be buying the upgrade kit. Side Room Games are the same guys who did Black Sonata, they have a good touch for these small solo games.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Thanks for the tip, I always wanted to grab a copy of Black Sonata but missed out. I'm interested in Maquis if it's the same people behind it.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Everway 25th anniversary edition is an old diceless game by Jonathan Tweet (although I don't know if he's involved with this version). It uses Tarot and art cards for inspiration.

Tweet is the first guy listed on the Anniversary Edition team, so I would presume he's involved. I have the original boxed set, but I can't imagine I'll ever play either edition so the pricetags on the Anniversary Edition are a little too rich for my blood. It's certainly considered a classic in some circles, and the new edition looks like it'll be pretty as heck if nothing else.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
For those who've forgotten, Jonathan Tweet is the "Lieberals don't want you to know about race science!!!" guy.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
How the gently caress is Everway almost 800 loving pages

I still have the box set, and it's like a handful of small books and a bunch of cards.

e: So Everway can be a $150+ game, apparently, with both books plus the necessary fortune deck. Why isn't that included with the book tiers? It's literally the resolution mechanic. Oh plus $60 for the vision decks. So that's $210 all-in, which is way above my "sure, I remember this game" tier.

I know it's gauche to complain about cost of RPGs but Everway was a light, fluffy thing that was a bit up its own rear end, like so many other mid-90's games, but which was fundamentally anti-rulesy in favor of the GM playing tarot cards and feeling vibes. Why do you need eight hundred pages of books for it? This is a game where you make your character by looking at artwork on trading cards, for goodness sake.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 1, 2021

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wow, a bunch of stuff is launching today. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/9thlevel/rebel-scum/

quote:

Over the last few years, there has been a startling rise in the number of people that are willing to SPEW HATE. These people believe in white power, and fill the internet with nativist, racist, fascist crap. Quite a few of these evildoers are deeply entrenched in the various FANDOMS that us nerds adore. Very specifically the fandom of a certain space opera franchise that we love with our whole hearts has too many sad bad guys.

We are making REBEL SCUM as a way to re-discover the roots of the original message - how some scrappy, anti-fascist heroes can fight back against a government with unlimited power (including giant lasers and space magic). There is something refreshing and healing about getting to punch space nazis in their faces in a game, while we are living in a time when we have once again been called on to fight ACTUAL fascism in the real world (not just in our space operas).

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

This looks like it's right up my alley, backed. Thanks for linking!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Has there been a surge of fascist star wars fandom stuff? The Empire are pretty clearly the bad guys?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Kaza42 posted:

Has there been a surge of fascist star wars fandom stuff? The Empire are pretty clearly the bad guys?
There's multiple crews of police officers who cosplay as stormtroopers, and iirc one of them got canonized in the EU.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Kaza42 posted:

Yeah, lots of SW fans are huge into the empire. Check out the 501st.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Not to mention the piles of angry chuds who are still pissed off that the main character of the new trilogy was a g-g-g-girl and that a BLACK MAN was a major secondary character (and have made insanely long anti-SJW videos about it). Not explicitly fascist, but in the same general wheelhouse, I figure.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

poo poo, the 501st got called in to be the Stormtroopers in the season 1 finale of the Mandalorian because Disney didn't have enough costumes on hand.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The 501st are super rulesy about who can join them and be part of their club, too.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Speaking of the Empire, is there really any canon lore for what their objectives/ideals are? Like, obviously they're evil and want to exert their control on the galaxy (and Palpatine probably wants to do some shady Sith stuff), but I've always thought that it's been kept so generic as to not make any specific political message besides facism is bad. I guess a law you could intuit is that they're xenophobic and only employ humans?

I had always hoped that stuff like The Mandalorian, Rogue One, Rebels, or the canon video game spin-offs would explore a bit of this, like why any of the Imperial main characters would want to be a part of the Empire. It usually just boiled down to "gotta stop the terrorists, create law & order" which is a good surface-level critique of real-life jerks, but it still didn't make a great argument as to what they thought the Empire did as a whole.

I also wonder about how the Empire was able to completely erase the knowledge of the Jedi and the Republic which lasted like thousands of years while the Empire is less than 20 years old? Just really good propaganda and information control?

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 1, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
One of my bar friends is in a local 501st, I think. I have no idea what his politics are, but his girlfriend is an immigrant Trump supporter. I don't think he's fash, though?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

JazzFlight posted:

I also wonder about how the Empire was able to completely erase the knowledge of the Jedi and the Republic which lasted like thousands of years while the Empire is less than 20 years old? Just really good propaganda and information control?

"If someone just admitted the war on drugs was a fake story to go after activists surely we'd know about it, so it must be real."

Honestly just, like, pick your topic. The ability of states to bury stuff is actually quite exceptional. You can't stop everyone knowing about it, but you can definitely make it likely a random person you run into won't know about it; check British knowledge of The Troubles, for instance, or how knowledge of the AIDS crisis has vanished as survivors die.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 1, 2021

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

There's also the fact that MouseCorp realizes that Empire poo poo sells so they've been merchandising the hell out of Baby's First Fascism for years now, down to there being an Imperial Stormtrooper Rally parade that performs regularly at Disneyworld.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

JazzFlight posted:

Speaking of the Empire, is there really any canon lore for what their objectives/ideals are? Like, obviously they're evil and want to exert their control on the galaxy (and Palpatine probably wants to do some shady Sith stuff), but I've always thought that it's been kept so generic as to not make any specific political message besides facism is bad. I guess a law you could intuit is that they're xenophobic and only employ humans?

I had always hoped that stuff like The Mandalorian, Rogue One, Rebels, or the canon video game spin-offs would explore a bit of this, like why any of the Imperial main characters would want to be a part of the Empire. It usually just boiled down to "gotta stop the terrorists, create law & order" which is a good surface-level critique of real-life jerks, but it still didn't make a great argument as to what they thought the Empire did as a whole.

One of the big things to remember is that we as viewers have a LOT more exposure to Jedi Stuff than the average Galactic citizen. Randos in the galaxy would maybe know about these weird religious monks who served as generals in the clone war, but would be like Han in A New Hope and just think "yeah okay there's no way these guys have magic wizard powers". So if the empire outlaws the religion and cracks down on even talking about the Jedi too loudly, yeah, folks aren't gonna know about them.

E: compare to all the stuff people learn about for the first time regarding real world POC history. We regularly sanitize history to benefit the victors.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Hostile V posted:

There's also the fact that MouseCorp realizes that Empire poo poo sells so they've been merchandising the hell out of Baby's First Fascism for years now, down to there being an Imperial Stormtrooper Rally parade that performs regularly at Disneyworld.

Yeah, I'm sick of Stormtrooper stuff. I got some thermal socks from a friend and of course the only Star Wars one they make has a First Order helmet on it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kaza42 posted:

Congratulations on being unfrozen from carbonite! To catch you up: Disney "diversifying" Star Wars and taking it away from the "true fans" or whatever has been an alt-right outrage beacon for the past six years. Several of the female actors in the sequel trilogy had to close their social media accounts due to noxious levels of harassment they were getting, for instance. It was definitely at the most deafening pitch around the The Last Jedi, but it won't be going away any time soon.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

Let's put it this way: we are further away from 9/11 than the length of the time gap between Episodes 3 and 4.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

I can only read REBEL CUM with that typeface

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Nuns with Guns posted:

Congratulations on being unfrozen from carbonite! To catch you up: Disney "diversifying" Star Wars and taking it away from the "true fans" or whatever has been an alt-right outrage beacon for the past six years. Several of the female actors in the sequel trilogy had to close their social media accounts due to noxious levels of harassment they were getting, for instance. It was definitely at the most deafening pitch around the The Last Jedi, but it won't be going away any time soon.

Huh. Well drat, didn't realize all that. I'm a fan of Star Wars, but mostly stick to a relatively small group of people. I know people hated The Last Jedi for being awful, hadn't heard about the harassment. That sucks, and thanks for clarifying it for me

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kaza42 posted:

Huh. Well drat, didn't realize all that. I'm a fan of Star Wars, but mostly stick to a relatively small group of people. I know people hated The Last Jedi for being awful, hadn't heard about the harassment. That sucks, and thanks for clarifying it for me

While the poo poo started with Force Awakens, it reached a fever pitch with Last Jedi. It not only had insidious diversity in its lead cast from the prior film, it expanded on it, and it tried to pull the franchise in a critical direction that well-executed or not really set off the masculinites.

At the time I was fairly cool to the movie but the discourse surrounding it was largely "should women be allowed to do things" so I mostly didn't give a poo poo about talking about it. Over time I've come to really appreciate what it did and tried to do, and I'd say it's one of the best movies of the franchise, even though structurally it's got some serious problems (but then I think ANH is actually a pretty poo poo movie that I only have any affection for because of nostalgia and its setup for the following movies that are actually good in their own right).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

That Old Tree posted:

While the poo poo started with Force Awakens, it reached a fever pitch with Last Jedi. It not only had insidious diversity in its lead cast from the prior film, it expanded on it, and it tried to pull the franchise in a critical direction that well-executed or not really set off the masculinites.

At the time I was fairly cool to the movie but the discourse surrounding it was largely "should women be allowed to do things" so I mostly didn't give a poo poo about talking about it. Over time I've come to really appreciate what it did and tried to do, and I'd say it's one of the best movies of the franchise, even though structurally it's got some serious problems (but then I think ANH is actually a pretty poo poo movie that I only have any affection for because of nostalgia and its setup for the following movies that are actually good in their own right).

The sheer amount of hate directed at Admiral Holdo for [have pink hair/wear a gown/not defer immediately to a subordinate male] was legendary. Basically the original sentence can be swapped to "People hated Last Jedi because THEY were awful." Like, even if you think the movie was bad (I know a lot of people do) there's still a line you can cross between "I didn't like that very much" and "I will howl for blood and make 18 hour long youtube videos" that was crossed.... oh just weeks before the movie even came out.