Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017

Trilobite posted:

Sure, none of them worked with CryEngine, but it's clear that they'd at least be able to pick up CIG's company culture immediately:

Although as TheAgent noted recently, CIGs recent recruitment has been UE devs ... for some reason ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way

Scruffpuff posted:

Not related to gaming, but this part made me think of a pet peeve of mine. You ever see a TV show where the main characters are constantly driving all over the place, one of them has something to tell the other one that's super critical, and the other guy says "no time, we have to get to X" and no more is said about it until they step out of the car some 1500 miles away. You didn't have time to explain during that 24 hour journey you just had?

But that's actually the point. The drive isn't something you want to watch for 24 hours, and they intentionally do this to extend the drama. Star Citizen is a game about only the drive and nothing else.

It's 1971's The Duel but without the truck.

My friend told they like to listen to radio and read books while traveling in SC. Said it "brings a new angle to the entire experience".

...it blew my mind

.random
May 7, 2007

What if while you were traveling, your character could play a computer game to pass the time, only that computer game actually worked? That could be cool I guess v:shobon:v

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

.random posted:

What if while you were traveling, your character could play a computer game to pass the time, only that computer game actually worked? That could be cool I guess v:shobon:v

WoW had an addon that brought up a Peggle game whenever you were in the region-to-region flight stuff. cuz that poo poo could last like 15 minutes.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/nOPkqKK.mp4

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Trilobite posted:

So now that the news has broken that Google has closed both of its Stadia game development studios, I guess we can expect that one weirdo on twitter to start spamming unofficial recruitment messages to the people who just lost their jobs.

Sure, none of them worked with CryEngine, but it's clear that they'd at least be able to pick up CIG's company culture immediately:

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 1, 2021

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Trilobite posted:

So now that the news has broken that Google has closed both of its Stadia game development studios, I guess we can expect that one weirdo on twitter to start spamming unofficial recruitment messages to the people who just lost their jobs.

LOL how long until Stadia itself joins the ranks of killed by Google

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

CIG should hire that Google shill/employee that got banned from the Stadia thread to promote Roberts.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OOOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO HEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEE Relic, you old card! Perfect timing, as always!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Goatson posted:

I kinda get the movie sentiment. I've done roleplaying in mmorpgs where your character was usually a template for your class and race, but then as a player you tried to breathe some life to everything by giving your avatar a backstory (and usually a speech impediment to stand out). You were a thespian and the entire game was your stage. You would play as your character would play and encounter other figures who wanted to treat you as part of their story. It was fun most of the time... However, even there I remember the moments of absolute boredom: not enough other players to interact with your character; the repetition; it was the same five idiots who you were talking to as "random encounters" from a day to next; the artificiality of it all as players clustered to few well known social hubs and stayed there; no spontaneous encounters ever happened anywhere outside those few social hubs. You took what you had and it worked because the game you were playing was fun. however here... Most games get that transitions or traveling are fun only the first time you do it. Heck, movies rarely show traveling anywhere if doesn't belong to the narrative. Chris doesn't seem to realize that there's repetition, there's all the in-between spaces, theres tons and tons of stuff that is part of immersion, but isn't meaningful once you've done it once.

But the point here is, in those games where you were playing your character, you were PLAYING your character. You were using the fact that the game lets you walk around and talk to people to act out a story of YOUR choosing.

But that's not what Chris wants. He's not building a toolbox and puppets for you to tell a story. He wants you to sit down and watch the screen while he tells his story.

Which... is a movie.

See this:

Scruffpuff posted:

It's bizarre any developers take that route in the first place. If your fantasy is to be IN Star Wars, then there are no camera angles and there is no music. If you really want to live the fantasy all that dumb poo poo has to be stripped away. "Look, it's like being in a movie!" No, it's not, Chris. It's like watching a very bad movie made by a low-grade moron. There's no such thing as being "in" a movie. The actual question to ask is, if the events of this film occurred in real life, how would they play out? That's the game you make.

Although now this has me wondering about making a videogame explicitly about being an actor/actress. "Report to the set!" and then you have to remember your lines, and the director will randomly yell "cut!" and tell you to do your blocking for the scene all different, and then you have to do it again... :cheeky:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 1, 2021

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Zaphod42 posted:

Although now this has me wondering about making a videogame explicitly about being an actor/actress. "Report to the set!" and then you have to remember your lines, and the director will randomly yell "cut!" and tell you to do your blocking for the scene all different, and then you have to do it again... :cheeky:

A game Sandi will, regrettably, never be able to play - unless it takes place on the cutting room floor.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

Make sure you use 8K textures.

Definitely not!

Hair strand and grooming technology, not just limiting hair cards!

https://youtu.be/__BScFPJy3E

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Google recognized CR's brilliance and there was no way they could compete with the world's first AAAA game and so they folded their internal studio. Probably Chris wouldn't give them a license on the God Tech in the secret dev build either. Not surprised heh :crobear:

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Titanic posted:

Every day I am more grey. Considering coloring everything purple for fun.

Just do it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkkIwO_X4i4

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://twitter.com/_kingkazma_/status/1355732972616343555

Also, anyone know where can I get one of those Mandalorian cat pods?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The Titanic posted:

Every day I am more grey. Considering coloring everything purple for fun.

Do you feel hollow, like death?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Colostomy Bag posted:

Do you feel hollow, like death?

Only until I can bask away in a virtual hot tub in pretend space.

Or maybe that's after.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Zaphod42 posted:

I unironically love this idea. There's real potential here. You could have difficulty settings, from easiest to hardest:

- Background extra
- Love interest
- Secondary Protagonist
- Primary Protagonist
- Secondary Antagonist
- Primary Antagonist
- Sandi

The gimmick would be that winning the game at the highest difficulty level is literally impossible. That might be unfair, but it's critical for fidelity.

You'd play in first-person, do all your lines and walking around and poo poo, then after it'll show the scene as it was filmed and you can laugh at your line delivery. This could work with faceware etc. for added humor.

Maybe Chris should be making this game instead.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Oh, yeah, thanks! That was so weird back in the day.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Trilobite posted:

https://twitter.com/apexboner/status/1356350181109886978
apexboner - Lead Game Designer - Star Citizen
Games released after 8 years:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The Titanic posted:

Huh. :thunkher:

Something seems odd here.

Ship seems to be in no clip mode to move like that.

The thrusters going on / off immediately is telling.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Dwesa posted:

I'm kinda baffled at how these comments can pop up. "Lead" - anything, should realize that if something doesn't make business sense, it gets shuttered. Which means, Star Citizen makes business sense?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

It's remarkable they managed to make capital ship battle feel so... weightless.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Pixels made green,
Your balls will be blue,
Chris is not making this game for you

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

no_recall posted:

I'm kinda baffled at how these comments can pop up. "Lead" - anything, should realize that if something doesn't make business sense, it gets shuttered. Which means, Star Citizen makes business sense?
We'll see once they miss another deadline given by their investors. This Hindenburg isn't held aloft solely by a sunk cost bias of their whales.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I mean multicrew gameplay on ships can work. There's entire games devoted to the premise, like Pulsar Lost Colony, Sea of Thieves, Star Trek Bridge Crew, Artemis, or the spate of submarine games that came out a few years ago. One thing all those games have in common though is very careful design to ensure different types of gameplay are engaging, and that players make significant contributions even if they arn't in the pilots seat. That is one aspect that is blatantly missing from Star Citizen. Manning single turrets that are just adjuncts to the pilot's power is typically garbage and boring, with few exceptions, and nothing about Star Citizen's implementation is encouraging in this regard.

A game designed from the ground up for multicrew usually sharply restricts what the captain can accomplish by themselves. Other stations make critical contributions to the ships effectiveness when actively managed, in ways that aren't simply making number go up. For example, in Pulsar Lost Colony, a ship's engineer must carefully balance power to different subsystems, allocating reserves as necessary and monitoring the constantly-overheating power core, a task rendered very complicated by the fact they have no direct knowledge of the course of combat. If they screw up, it harms performance, and if they overcommit on power the entire system blows out, requiring a manual reboot. They must rely on communication with the bridge crew to accomplish their task, and none of those assholes screaming for more power know the first thing about how a monkey with a bicycle has more juice to spare right now than you do. And even then a task like that is only so-engaging, with players wanting to rotate roles and go on away missions to keep things fresh.

Meanwhile, in Star Citizen, you're supposed to make a whole second life out of the fix-TV minigame on an airplane. And they seem completely unaware that the ability to automate turrets is inevitably going to lead to a 1 player:1 ship meta, especially given that even enormous capital ships hand the lions share of combat power to the pilot with huge frontal weapons arrays.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Dwesa posted:

It's remarkable they managed to make capital ship battle feel so... weightless.

They mocaped chris playing with toy ships and this is the result. I have no other explanation how the movements of the ships can look so bad. Also I jumped few random moments from the video and one idris just disappeared. There was tiny explosion like 1km away from it and camera shook, so I guess it was destroyed? Truly a cinematic masterpiece I am excited about

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Canasta_Nasty posted:

I can't wait to agent smith into various janitors during this new game mode. That mess hall isn't going to clean itself and with the new Theatres of Chore, you'll get fast-paced mop action more lethal than Dustforce!

Can I be the background dude who is always welding making huge sparks fly around the place. I think I could bring all the hanger scences to life with rtx lighting... Oh wait never mind.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

DigitalPenny posted:

Can I be the background dude who is always welding making huge sparks fly around the place. I think I could bring all the hanger scences to life with rtx lighting... Oh wait never mind.

How do you feel about mopping floors?

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

The Titanic posted:

Even the act of getting a mission is supposed to be a movie.

Going to that seedy bar. Enjoying a drink with Bob 10-jackets as he squints at you and assesses if you're wearing the right kinds of clothes while having had a good bath to shave sometimes in the last day or two.

Where I've seen this in other games is players queue up behind the player currently experiencing "the cutscene" to wait their turn to get the same/different story point cutscene.

Don't you see an intense single player experience would be just made better by making it an MMO, it's the perfect combination.

You drive the story with hard hitting choices while a conga line of players try to T bag you mid dialog. How will Pusher react to a boot of a space man in her soup as the table dancing kicks off. It will not just be a cinematic master works, but an interactive joy !!!

Chris is a the kind of guy who adds big speakers to quiet time and thinks the only reason every one thinks it's terrible is because the bevel around the speakers is the wrong shade of gold and not luxury enough.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

:reddit: Stadia closes game studios due to cost

Somehow other one's failure justifies their own different failure :shrug:

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Feb 2, 2021

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
In today's episode of Game Good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llSBGueQLfc

https://v.redd.it/obtrtydjdze61/DASH_480.mp4

reddit posted:

Me and a friend just got into Star Citizen just a few days ago, mostly to check it out first hand. And the amount of weird bugs/just broken things was amazingly abundant. Dying from just walking on stairs, my helmet was removed when I turned on the flashlight, items just disappearing, getting helplessly stuck in environments, trying to do a spacewalk between our sheeps, only to see my friend yeeted 100km away when he opened his hatch etc.

But we have rather enjoyed it as well, if you count laughing until we both cried.

The design, graphics, visuals are all top notch, don't get me wrong. They are aiming high with their vision about SC, and for that they should be praised. I would just have hoped that they had fixed a lot of quality of life issues by now, like a good inventory system, not suddenly dying from a slow stroll in a set of stairs, you know the basics.

We will continue to explore the wired universe of SC and see what happens.

Star Citizen: And there is nothing here

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Pixelate posted:

In today's episode of Game Good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llSBGueQLfc

https://v.redd.it/obtrtydjdze61/DASH_480.mp4

Star Citizen: And there is nothing here

LOL, almost every line of that reddit post makes for a perfect The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Star Citizer: ... payoff.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Zaphod42 posted:

This is conceptually similar to Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist where you're basically a behind-the-scenes stagehand for a video game.
On the other hand, Dr. Langeskov is literally 15 minutes long and I'm not sure how well the idea could be extended into a long-form game.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
It's like Major Tom never clipped through his last airlock and nipple-jetted off into the sun...

https://v.redd.it/pjgmx1z3n1f61/DASH_480.mp4

with soothing sound

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dwesa posted:

As much as I can agree with him, he's also missing the point of "if something is not working, you dump it and move on", which is what most successful companies that have to release products do when faced with situations of spending infinite time and money to bang their head against a wall or try something different.

It's never an easy decision but that's what good management and marketing teams are able to do together. It's a component of an oversight committee that makes sure the company is doing things that are productive and profitable.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

no_recall posted:

Ship seems to be in no clip mode to move like that.

The thrusters going on / off immediately is telling.

I was referring to how the good Twitter personality was going on about the 1:1 scale modeling of interiors and the dozens of players/NPCs needed to run the capital ships.

Last I was aware none of those ships have a full interior nor NPCs and players needing to do anything to run them.

But maybe I'm wrong now, and he's not lying to people. :blush:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Canasta_Nasty posted:

I can't wait to agent smith into various janitors during this new game mode. That mess hall isn't going to clean itself and with the new Theatres of Chore, you'll get fast-paced mop action more lethal than Dustforce!

I'm sure that's the vision of the mess hall.

Between missions, grizzled pilots loiter in and have a dynamic meal, talking about their last engagements. You the player may overhear or dynamically partake of this, reminding them to stay frosty.

Suddenly the ship is attacked and people in mid food eating are shocked and jump up, silverware and plates go flying, maybe even in some zero-g! Pilots scramble through the mess to get to their beaten up ships as the red lights and klaxons reminiscent of the Wing Commander "run to your ship" cutscene happens in real time.

The dynamic mess hall team has to go collect all the silver ware and stuff muttering and being afraid as the ship rocks with more hits from the enemy.

I'm pretty sure this is the vision behind it all and why it's taking them years and years to make. This just can't be a cutscene and it has to be dynamic because you never know how many times it may happen like at least twice the whole game, so it obviously needs years and years of work.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Goatson posted:

I mean, the movie mentality shows. I remember seeing the squadron 42 tour thingie from ages ago and it was weird. Everything is paced to be slow. The players follow NPC dialogue and never skip any scenery. The scenes are there to be looked atbut nothing feels interactive. Everyone and everything feels busy and nothing seems like you'd be doing anything there. The camera follows the instructions and everything is mind-numbingly boring.

To be fair, in a number of the CIG "demos" the demo-er had to be well trained on exactly where to look, step, and how fast to go lest they break the illusion and also crash the demo.

I'm pretty sure the Morrow Tour was just one long animation that played and the player had to make sure they were standing in exactly the right spot so it would look like the NPCs are talking and looking at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Also it's been a while but if I recall at one point the demoer had to stand inside a box another npc was carrying to maintain the illusion, but they looked up so the box was mostly out of the scene.

I doubt any of those characters were "there" and if you walked into them, like box guy, you'd just clip right through them.

It was all smoke and mirrors... which is kind of how SC handles its demos and show-off stuff.