Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Harrow posted:

I think the reason I liked it was because it really sold the power of dragons. Using your D-Form in Dragon Quarter is an "I win" button right up to the very end, but it's a very limited resource. While it does remove the power fantasy of "your guy is a dragon and becoming a dragon is his main power," it replaces it with something that I think does a great job of showing why dragons are such a big deal in Dragon Quarter.
Yeah, this is something I absolutely have to give the game. In most Breath of Fire games, your dragon form is a tool, and a pretty powerful one at that, but it's never even close to being as overpowering as the D-Form in Dragon Quarter. In the other Breath of Fire games, the importance and power of dragons is often more of an informed attribute than anything - your player character is powerful, but not that much more powerful than all the enemies you fight over the course of the game.

Dragon Quarter, on the other hand, establishes right from the beginning that you could basically charbroil every boss fight in the game back-to-back if you were willing to go whole hog on your D-Counter for it, and it makes you believe it, too. It makes you feel like a big deal from the moment you get it, while the other games often have to resort to just repeatedly telling you that you are a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Ciaphas posted:

I know this is a hot take but I liked it because of the D-Counter, rather than in spite of it

For those who don't know, the basic idea is that Ryu's dragon form in that game stupidly, completely, and in all ways breaks combat utterly in two - BUT. Using dragon-stuff increases a % called the D-Counter which can never be reduced, and if it hits 100% Ryu dies (quite horribly, IIRC) and the game ends

People hated that - why the gently caress would you put a limiter on the game series' showpiece, right? - but thinking back it made for more interesting combat and decision making in the long run. To me at least, in other BoF games base-Ryu may as well have not existed once he can do the Trogdor thing. (There's also the ways the ironically-named SOL system could exploit it for fun & profit)

It definitely makes the Dragon form an actual power to be unleashed rather than basically spells but for Ryu only. It was a good game. Also really bleak with heavy themes compared to the fairly mundane framing of the other games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sup

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Big Apple. 3am.
https://i.imgur.com/RrVKIGi.mp4

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Phil Harrison must be a saboteur extraordinaire

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hatty posted:

Hes probably a very good interviewee and cv writer

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
My mans Phil Harrison good at one thing and one thing only: lying

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve not played this D-Counter game but based on the description, my gamotype (conservative, perfectionist, OCD) means that I would never ever use the cool dragon powers

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve not played this D-Counter game but based on the description, my gamotype (conservative, perfectionist, OCD) means that I would never ever use the cool dragon powers

Yeahhhh, but

At a time when single digits weren't uncommon Ryu could D-Dive and get three or four digits repeatedly and with almost no setup; that's one hell of a powerful temptation

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

hatty posted:

https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1356329056459837441

Mechanical mandible
Aug 4, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Yeahhhh, but

At a time when single digits weren't uncommon Ryu could D-Dive and get three or four digits repeatedly and with almost no setup; that's one hell of a powerful temptation

It’s been a looooong time since I played it, so I might be misremembering. Once you conked out at 100%, you had to start from the beginning of the game again; however, the story/path through the game changed right?

How in-depth was that aspect of the game? I think I only had to restart once after I understood the D counter system.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mechanical mandible posted:

It’s been a looooong time since I played it, so I might be misremembering. Once you conked out at 100%, you had to start from the beginning of the game again; however, the story/path through the game changed right?

How in-depth was that aspect of the game? I think I only had to restart once after I understood the D counter system.

every time you had to restart - be it for your reason or beating it, or arbitrarily - you're assigned a D-Ratio, from 1/8192 down to the titular 1/4, and that ratio locks extra rooms, the odd encounter, and pieces of story that add context - dunno if it was much more than that

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
No, that's basically it, really. The same things happen every time, you just don't get to see the full story until you reach 1/4.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Why fund things when you can fund profits instead?

It's this. Games just aren't reliably profitable enough for megacorps.

Look at disney: they've done cycles of doing game production in house, and every time they shut it down and go back to licensing IP instead. The last time they weren't even losing money on their games division, it just wasn't as profitable as the rest of their company. And Disney is a company that understands how to work in commercial creative art.

Big tech companies look at everything as homerun or strikeout. That doesn't work in games (or movies, tv, whatever). It took microsoft a lot of years to learn how to manage their games division; honestly without Halo at the beginning I'd guess they quit after the first xbox. And even they forgot how to manage their stable during the 360-One transition. Google is just hopeless by comparison.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Microsoft has no idea how to manage its game division. Thats why when it bought bethesda they didnt merge it with xgs.

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

The thing that most felt like 'unlimited power' to me is that normal characters were limited in how much they could move each turn, but as a dragon you could move as much as you wanted, each step just cost a fraction of a percent of your dragon meter.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Klyith posted:

It's this. Games just aren't reliably profitable enough for megacorps.

Look at disney: they've done cycles of doing game production in house, and every time they shut it down and go back to licensing IP instead. The last time they weren't even losing money on their games division, it just wasn't as profitable as the rest of their company. And Disney is a company that understands how to work in commercial creative art.

Big tech companies look at everything as homerun or strikeout. That doesn't work in games (or movies, tv, whatever). It took microsoft a lot of years to learn how to manage their games division; honestly without Halo at the beginning I'd guess they quit after the first xbox. And even they forgot how to manage their stable during the 360-One transition. Google is just hopeless by comparison.

There was an article a while ago about Amazon going through the same thing, and sure enough, they figured "winning at gaming" was just a matter of hiring a bunch of people with games on their resumes and dumping money into the department until a hit game fell out the other end and then they'd win at gaming.

Mechanical mandible
Aug 4, 2007

Ahh that was how it worked, cool! Always appreciate games trying new things and testing out different ideas, shame it essentially killed off the series.

Though I'll never forgive them for removing the fishing mini-game; every game should have a fishing mini-game :colbert:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mechanical mandible posted:

Ahh that was how it worked, cool! Always appreciate games trying new things and testing out different ideas, shame it essentially killed off the series.

Though I'll never forgive them for removing the fishing mini-game; every game should have a fishing mini-game :colbert:

No game should have one

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

nier automata has the best fishing minigame in that it has hardly any gameplay and nothing ever requires it, and you get cute bits of writing for it

ironic, considering the previous game

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

excited that 2021 GOTY Monster Hunter: Rise will get decent online on a Nintendo console

I wonder if the demo is already using it? SNU, FRR, and I had no issues staying connected when we played the demo together a few weekends ago

the article posted:

The Monster Hunter Rise demo was the first test for this new multiplayer system.

oh I should learn how to read

wuggles fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 1, 2021

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

God I loving hate google. They bought the studio that made Journey to the Savage Planet like a month before that game came out and now they’re just shutting them down without ever getting to release a second game.

Nintendo ought to sweep in and let them help make Metroid Prime 4, they clearly have great love for that series based on all of the Metroid-ness in JttSP

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

all the monster hunters on nintendo have had good online, mostly because they use their own stuff though. the wii version of mh3 was nuts, but also they charged a monthly fee for it in japan

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I know I'm late asking since I'm halfway through the game, but what's this bullshit about Edgeworth being dead in Ace Attorney: Justice for All? Is this true?

Also spoilers I guess for a ~15 year old GBA game that's been remade 4 times now.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Is there an Amazing Cultivation Simulator thread

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

verbal enema posted:

Is there an Amazing Cultivation Simulator thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3945892

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

wuggles posted:

It’s not a Gaussian distribution because it’s discrete
:goonsay:

The lack of symmetry is also a giveaway!

Ciaphas posted:

nier automata has the best fishing minigame in that it has hardly any gameplay and nothing ever requires it, and you get cute bits of writing for it

ironic, considering the previous game

Cold Steel 3/4 has the best fishing minigame IMO.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 1, 2021

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I have a specific problem with Persona combat that I've never been able to articulate very well, but I think I've got the words now so here goes

Persona pretty much always gets praise for the whole "oh but stat buffs/debuffs matter so the combat is deeper and more technical" except I kind of feel like it's not? Pretty much every single ability in the series has a strict progression of "number gets bigger" and rarely deviates from that. Like, every single magic line goes "Low Damage, Low AoE Damage, Mid Damage, Mid AoE Damage, High Damage, High AoE Damage". Physical fares a bit better, but it still tends to be just stuff like, oh this one does medium damage, that one does medium damage AND has a small chance of panic, how daring! And like, the end result of this is that instead of fights just being "hit weakness with the Biggest Number" it's instead "cast buffs/debuffs, then hit weakness with Biggest Number". Which is still pretty boring, to be honest, and I feel like it leads you to form an endgame team of two party members who have the Biggest Number + a healer.

In general I just prefer when there's something to actually differentiate skills. Make it so fire spells hit AoE, ice spells are strong single target, and Lightning spells are random targeting, or something. Give someone abilities that revolve around inflicting statuses and dealing more damage to enemies with statuses. Anything's better than just always having Ann in my party because she's got the Biggest Number.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Walla posted:

I know I'm late asking since I'm halfway through the game, but what's this bullshit about Edgeworth being dead in Ace Attorney: Justice for All? Is this true?

Also spoilers I guess for a ~15 year old GBA game that's been remade 4 times now.

you'll have to keep playing to find out!

or, he was being really, really melodramatic when he took a vacation

Arzaac posted:

I have a specific problem with Persona combat that I've never been able to articulate very well, but I think I've got the words now so here goes

Persona pretty much always gets praise for the whole "oh but stat buffs/debuffs matter so the combat is deeper and more technical" except I kind of feel like it's not? Pretty much every single ability in the series has a strict progression of "number gets bigger" and rarely deviates from that. Like, every single magic line goes "Low Damage, Low AoE Damage, Mid Damage, Mid AoE Damage, High Damage, High AoE Damage". Physical fares a bit better, but it still tends to be just stuff like, oh this one does medium damage, that one does medium damage AND has a small chance of panic, how daring! And like, the end result of this is that instead of fights just being "hit weakness with the Biggest Number" it's instead "cast buffs/debuffs, then hit weakness with Biggest Number". Which is still pretty boring, to be honest, and I feel like it leads you to form an endgame team of two party members who have the Biggest Number + a healer.

In general I just prefer when there's something to actually differentiate skills. Make it so fire spells hit AoE, ice spells are strong single target, and Lightning spells are random targeting, or something. Give someone abilities that revolve around inflicting statuses and dealing more damage to enemies with statuses. Anything's better than just always having Ann in my party because she's got the Biggest Number.

persona 4 is the only one i've played and its combat is pretty terrible imo

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I agree with that. Persona/SMT combat is just as formulaic as any other RPG, it just adds buff/debuff as a requirement first.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Video game combat is always formulaic. It comes with having baked-in combat mechanics where any given thing either works or is essentially physically impossible.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

CottonWolf posted:

The lack of symmetry is also a giveaway!
Yeah I didn't even look at the actual numbers. Binomial distributions with p=0.5 can look bell shaped-ish, so I thought it might be that, but it just looks like a regular ol discrete distribution

But I'm probably going to use this as an example when we get to the part of the semester where we calculate expected values

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arzaac posted:

I generally like that kind of thing, yeah, so I agree that it would be cool if elements had more to differentiate them. (Incidentally, I'm working on designing a Persona tabletop game and that's exactly what I'm doing to differentiate elements since "hunt the weakness" gameplay would suuuuuuuuck in a tabletop RPG.)

Weirdly I think Persona 5's combat is at its best when it's rocket tag--when, almost like in the modern XCOM games, it turns into "destroy the enemies before they get a chance to destroy you." Knocking enemies down and efficiently passing the baton so you can wipe them out before they can do their really dangerous attacks back is when I think it's the most fun. At the same time, though, I also think most of the reason I enjoy Persona 5's combat is that it feels really good, and that's rare for a turn-based RPG. Yeah, the strategy is fairly simplistic, but I also think that its style and, I dunno, "smoothness" isn't just superficial and adds a lot to the experience, if that makes sense.

Looper posted:

persona 4 is the only one i've played and its combat is pretty terrible imo

For the record I am a huge Persona fan and when I recently started replaying Persona 4 Golden I was like "wait was the combat always this clunky and boring" so yeah. It actually made me sad because I want to replay Persona 4 but I really don't remember the combat being that much of a drag. Maybe it'd be better if I wasn't jumping back and forth between P4G and P5R so it's not as direct a comparison.

Persona 5's combat is a gigantic improvement IMO. There are better JRPG combat systems out there but I found Persona 5's really fun to engage with in a way that I can't say for any other Persona game.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Rocket tag is how my FFL2 playthrough is going. I did a couple of the nasty dungeon floors and now I'm trying to work out how to beat odin before he one shots everyone.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/UltimaShadowX/status/1356335587079434245

Laughing like Ricky from Silent Night.

Deadly Night 2.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Generally I think my favorite JRPG combat systems are the ones where action economy is the focus. That'd be either systems where manipulating turn order is a key part of the system (things like Radiant Historia, the Grandia series, and to an extend FFX) or getting extra actions/turns is the focus (Persona, SMT, Bravely). Systems where your goal is to take as many actions as possible before the enemy can take their action are really fun and engaging for me. So even though Persona 5's combat doesn't have, like, deep strategy or anything, the "exploit weaknesses and technicals and passing the baton to get as many turns as possible" system is something I find endlessly entertaining.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

people out here wasting their time trying to 1CC shmups and here I am 1CCing Windjammers on hard :c00l:

This game is very cool I hope the sequel comes out soon

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If nothing else, it still has more depth to it than Final Fantasy-style "just cast the most powerful spell you have every time" combat. Squeezing out as many turns as you can while keeping up your health and defensive buffs in the correct order involves some actual thought. If it was trivial, SMT games wouldn't have the reputation for being fair but challenging that they do.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Arzaac posted:

It's because the system that Persona is ostensibly based off of (Shin Megami Tensei) is like that but for Persona specifically they significantly reduced the difficulty, made it flashier/snappier/more superficially stimulating, and just all around made it much more marketable even as the meat on the bone became completely lost from the battle system. As Persona has gotten more popular and SMT less so the praise that made the latter popular has persisted while the elements that actually made it so have faded from the entries that are actually selling and getting the most current buzz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Looper posted:

you'll have to keep playing to find out!

or, he was being really, really melodramatic when he took a vacation

I figured it had to be something like that since he's in at least 2 spin-off games. Thanks.