Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

WhatEvil posted:

That's the salient point of your post though, isn't it? Maybe there is a point where eating more animals would be better for people and the environment, but if so that point is *far far below* currently levels of meat consumption.

Also if we're getting into the "it's more complicated than that" thing (which yes, admittedly it is) I haven't even mentioned the vast amount of methane (a very very potent greenhouse gas) produced by cow burps and farts, as the environmental impact goes.

Even methane changes based on the diet of the animals.

We need some ruminants for their gut microbiome to keep soil microbiome healthy to boot, so that's another wrinkle.

But yes, we eat way too much meat either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Isomermaid posted:

But, like, it's wildly optimistic to think that looking at the numbers is going to convince people who don't already basically agree. Don't get me wrong, they're stark numbers and they're important, I just wonder if as an argument they're actually *persuasive*.
Depends what you're trying to be persuasive around. As an argument against the morality of industrial animal farming, no, it doesn't work, because it implies that if you could make it more efficient somehow then it'd become moral, in the same way that economic arguments about feeding children only work against (good or bad faith) economic excuses not to, and can quickly get you to repugnant conclusions if you really dig into those kind of things.

As a broad illustrative argument against market concerns it works fine though, e.g. in suggesting that there's massive subsidies for the meat industry, because otherwise how could it be competitive on a like for like basis.

endlessmonotony posted:

We can't do accurate math on how much food we waste, because pure calories is a meaningless number for any purpose but burning the food.
Pure quant wank can land you in some very strange places even if you do make account for things like that, like (certainly at some recent point in time) you burn more fossil fuels cycling to work in Glasgow from the outskirts than taking the train, based purely on electricity sources vs. fertilizer and farm fuel and train vs. body conversion efficiency. None of that accounts for any of the other reasons why someone might want to cycle to work in Glasgow though like a fetish for yellowing face masks and abuse from motorists.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

crispix posted:

i think it might be because ed behind the new labour waffle seemed like a quite likeable person whereas keir is quite obviously a complete oval office

Also he had some actual leftwing policies alongside the controls on immigration mugs.

Instead of Starmerite 'I agree with the government in principle but not in all details', truly inspiring stuff.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Getting back to Starmer, this is good:

https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1356292486524792835?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Because the debate has come up multiple times itt- we just got our new Smeg induction range fitted, and I just cooked a lovely paneer dhal with onion tarka. I can say it's the absolute tits, cooking is now a lot more enjoyable

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Because the debate has come up multiple times itt- we just got our new Smeg induction range fitted, and I just cooked a lovely paneer dhal with onion tarka. I can say it's the absolute tits, cooking is now a lot more enjoyable

I got a new cooker a few years ago and possibly my one regret is getting gas over induction, I didn't inform myself enough before I made the choice and just thought induction would be slow and crap like halogen...oh well.

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020
They should voice-train Starmer at least, like they did with Thatcher. They've focus-grouped everything that involves actual meaning and there's no way it's not come out that people are turned off him by the fact he sounds like the guy complaining that the sponges in the work kitchen are the wrong kind.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I appreciate this post.

In related news: I bought an Instant Pot and I'm currently cooking Dal Makhani on it. I've been experimenting with different recipes and ways of cooking to try and replicate the one I've had a few times in Dishoom (Indian restaurant in London - very good). Funnily enough there is a Dishoom cookbook but the method and ingredients they use in the recipe in there is definitely not how they do it in their restaurant.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
All dal/dhal is good. Dahl is also good but can occasionally veer a little anti-Semitic

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Failed Imagineer posted:

All dal/dhal is good. Dahl is also good but can occasionally veer a little anti-Semitic

Lol OK, I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. E: OK just got it. Like "Bergdahl", heh. Second edit: Oh jesus, yes, Roald Dahl.

For those who might not have had it, Dal Makhani is sometimes just called "Black Dal" (or Dahl, Dhal or Daal - as with all things which come from languages which don't use the Latin alphabet there are several spellings of it) which just means "black lentils". "Makhani" means "Buttery" because when cooked slowly for a long time (or more quickly in a pressure cooker) the lentils break down and go very creamy and buttery. Plus you typically also then add butter and cream to make it richer. It also has ginger, garlic, chili and spices but most of the flavour and richness just comes from the lentils.

It's an absolutely top-tier Indian dish and if you see it on an Indian menu you should absolutely try it. I'd been eating Indian food my entire life but not tried it til about ~5 years ago and it was a revelation. It definitely falls under the "really amazing food made from very simple ingredients" category for me.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 1, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Like Roald Dahl, author of beloved children's books such as James and the Giant Jewish Plot to Overcharge for Basic Goods.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Depends what you're trying to be persuasive around. As an argument against the morality of industrial animal farming, no, it doesn't work, because it implies that if you could make it more efficient somehow then it'd become moral, in the same way that economic arguments about feeding children only work against (good or bad faith) economic excuses not to, and can quickly get you to repugnant conclusions if you really dig into those kind of things.

There is something I really really fundamentally disagree with here. If you ‘made it more efficient somehow’, for example by growing meat in solar-powered vats or something, then that change in the nature of the system absolutely would change the morality involved. I struggle to even conceive of how you could have a non-arbitrary morality without things changing based on facts in that way.

If the solar-powered meat vats turned out to cause cancer, they would be bad. And if some design update fixed that, they would be good again. And so on indefinitely.

Bad consists of doing bad things, good is the opposite. Neither is a property that can be independent of what you do or are.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Growing meat in solar-powered vats would completely change any utilitarian calculus of it, not just energy efficiency, especially since the usual Vegan objection to industrial farming centers on the mass amount of suffering created rather than just the thermodynamic inefficiencies.

"We can grow meat in solar-powered vats more efficiently than farming soy, but the meat experiences qualia and they have to be permanently exposed to UnHerd articles" would be a closer moral dilemma.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

he swings at too many pitches imo

Mebh
May 10, 2010

WhatEvil posted:

I appreciate this post.

In related news: I bought an Instant Pot and I'm currently cooking Dal Makhani on it. I've been experimenting with different recipes and ways of cooking to try and replicate the one I've had a few times in Dishoom (Indian restaurant in London - very good). Funnily enough there is a Dishoom cookbook but the method and ingredients they use in the recipe in there is definitely not how they do it in their restaurant.

I adore my instant pot. So much we're thinking of buying a second as it's just so bloody good at turning ingredients into insanely good food with very little effort and time.

If you want a super solid curry recipe try this one. https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-butter-chicken/

Also try everything on that site. It hasn't let me down once.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Trying to think why I would ever need 2 instant pots at the same time. They are great tho

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Still hoping for chloroplast implants.

Sure, you could make photosynthetic cows :v:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Failed Imagineer posted:

the absolute tits, cooking
but..... raw meat....

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Trying to think why I would ever need 2 instant pots at the same time. They are great tho

This and last year? Not much cause. But if I want to make say, a starter, a main and a dessert for a dinner party it helps a lot!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Guavanaut posted:

Like Roald Dahl, author of beloved children's books such as James and the Giant Jewish Plot to Overcharge for Basic Goods.

Also (along with Ian Fleming) really into railing Senators wives

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah I've seen a lot of people say they've got (or want) a second instant pot cause you can do a main in one and then steam some vegetables as a side in the other, or make rice in one and curry/chilli in the other, etc. etc.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

MikeCrotch posted:

Also (along with Ian Fleming) really into railing Senators wives

Hopefully, not the same wife. Or at least, not at the same time.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

The Top Flight Time Machine deep-dive into The Twits was loving amazing.

Also in the middle of it the Dahl family put out an apology for him being a big old racist and the timing confused me as the fucker's been dead for years and I thought that maybe TFTM's mockery had provoked them, then two weeks later a new version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (naturally a dark and gritty prequel) was about to start filming.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

You can buy a Rotimatic - roti making robot.

It costs £1000 :(

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Top Flight Time Machine deep-dive into The Twits was loving amazing.

Also in the middle of it the Dahl family put out an apology for him being a big old racist and the timing confused me as the fucker's been dead for years and I thought that maybe TFTM's mockery had provoked them, then two weeks later a new version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (naturally a dark and gritty prequel) was about to start filming.

There's also the new film of Beatrix Potter meets Young Roald Dahl (with Dawn French as BP and some young whippersnapper as RD)

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Angrymog posted:

You can buy a Rotimatic - roti making robot.

It costs £1000 :(

Roti are good though. I should probably try making some since I have loads of Atta flour I bought when I couldn't find decent white/bread flour.

You know what are good though? Frozen parathas - parathas are an Indian bread that again lots of people, even those who regularly eat Indian food, have never had. They're thicker than a rhoti/chapati and are layered with ghee. Look for "Shana" brand ones in the frozen section of your supermarket. You cook them straight from frozen in a medium-hot dry pan for ~3 mins and they come out drat-near as good as ones you'd get at a good restaurant. Frozen Naan are OK but nowhere near as good as restaurant ones. I think it's something to do with the fat content of paratha which makes the frozen ones cook so well.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

WhatEvil posted:

Roti are good though. I should probably try making some since I have loads of Atta flour I bought when I couldn't find decent white/bread flour.

You know what are good though? Frozen parathas - parathas are an Indian bread that again lots of people, even those who regularly eat Indian food, have never had. They're thicker than a rhoti/chapati and are layered with ghee. Look for "Shana" brand ones in the frozen section of your supermarket. You cook them straight from frozen in a medium-hot dry pan for ~3 mins and they come out drat-near as good as ones you'd get at a good restaurant. Frozen Naan are OK but nowhere near as good as restaurant ones. I think it's something to do with the fat content of paratha which makes the frozen ones cook so well.

Yeah, frozen Parathas are the best. I have two packs and they're great. There's a small grocers in Maidstone that has them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One of the benefits of working in supermarkets is you can get fresh bread most days. Still one of the nicest foods IMO.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

One of the benefits of working in supermarkets is you can get fresh bread most days. Still one of the nicest foods IMO.

Yeah that's something I miss in Canada - only the "posh" supermarkets have in-store bakeries and even then they're poo poo. They can't get French baguettes right despite there being a French-descended population right here. The outsides look right but when you cut them open the crumb is like a ciabatta.

Whereas even your most basic supermarket in the UK has an ISB which (usually) makes excellent bread. Generally food is shite here. Like you can still get ingredients to make nice stuff yourself but actually you don't realise how spoiled you are by the selection, quality and choice (and price but maybe not for long due to brexit) of food in Britain until you leave.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

You buy your bread?
:smug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah that's something I miss in Canada - only the "posh" supermarkets have in-store bakeries and even then they're poo poo. They can't get French baguettes right despite there being a French-descended population right here. The outsides look right but when you cut them open the crumb is like a ciabatta.

Whereas even your most basic supermarket in the UK has an ISB which (usually) makes excellent bread. Generally food is shite here. Like you can still get ingredients to make nice stuff yourself but actually you don't realise how spoiled you are by the selection, quality and choice (and price but maybe not for long due to brexit) of food in Britain until you leave.

I will say one thing to watch out for is that the smaller supermarkets probably do not actually make their own bread, they have ovens into which they will put pre-frozen partially prepared baked goods, and they will take them out once they are defrosted and possibly browned, and this constitutes "in-store preparation" This may also be why you are finding them poo poo in canada, and in the UK is why you will notice a difference between small and large supermarket bread. The small supermarkets also often get their rolls/buns from a central depot too, while the larger ones make them in store, which you will notice because the central depot ones have the consistency of kingsmill/warburtons/hovis/whatever megabakery rolls. Which is to say they're like cardboard.

The "in-store preparation" for things like donuts for example amounts to defrosting them and then rolling them in sugar. Also anything made of fussy pastry like danishes or cinnamon rolls is pre-frozen too. But larger supermarkets will have proper bread ovens and will make it properly from flour and don't fill them with whatever unholy poo poo they put in the mass shipped bread to make it last for a week.

Supermarket bread tips: Buy it from a big store with a proper bakery, put it in a bag or something when you get home because the stuff they put it in at the supermarket is full of holes to keep it crusty when warm but makes it go stale past about half a day.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 1, 2021

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Yes! Good fresh bread is amazing. My shameful bougie secret is spending at least £9 a week on bread but I don't care because it's goddamn delicious

it's made by a social enterprise that works with prisoners, so that gets me a nicer spot on the wall, right?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I highly recommend baking your own bread. I stopped for a few years but have started again in lockdown. It's fun, delicious, and significantly easier than you have been led to believe.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Niric posted:

Yes! Good fresh bread is amazing. My shameful bougie secret is spending at least £9 a week on bread but I don't care because it's goddamn delicious

it's made by a social enterprise that works with prisoners, so that gets me a nicer spot on the wall, right?

There's a bakery in Inverness which is just so much nicer than anything I've ever had from Tesco, sort of thing where I could eat an entire sourdough loaf from them in a day if it wasn't so pricey & if it wouldn't leave me feeling awful. (If you or anyone else is ever in Inverness some day after the plague is gone, & really want a nice loaf of bread, it's on Tomnahurich Street, corner of Montague Row)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Some of you may wish to know that Twitter no longer has need of a certain engaging and high-impact poster

https://twitter.com/psflaps

Banned for being a loving TERF.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

mehall posted:

Some of you may wish to know that Twitter no longer has need of a certain engaging and high-impact poster

Did Twitter have an referendum about it too?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Niric posted:

Wait, poo poo, where can you buy this?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

mehall posted:

from what I remember there was literally zero RF about him, he was just a oval office to everyone

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

mehall posted:

Wait, poo poo, where can you buy this?

Locavore and Zucchini on the Southside both sell it, and they're local to me so I've not had to go anywhere else. Google tells me a couple of places in the West End also have it (or at least used to stock it), and I imagine there'll be somewhere in Dennistoun too. I think they stock quite a few places in Glasgow, so if there's a cafe/deli near you that gets in fresh bread there's a decent chance it's from there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mehall posted:

That's grossly unfair.

They were never the radfem bit.