Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Man, Solar War is the only LE I don't have and now it's a glaring hole on my shelf -- I managed all the others for same prices but the first book is going for $700+ on eBay which is flat out stupid

Don't give up. I managed to snag one in December for $200. A lot of people are seeing the prices and deciding to sell which will eventually drive the price down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Never read anything Warhammer related, the extent of my Warhammer knowledge is indirect exposure to it through knowing the games and specifically playing Warhammer Online. It seems to have the most 'novels' written on it's lore than any other sort of fantasy IP- what would be the best novels to start with? I'd much prefer Dark Elf/Chaos/Greenskins & Dwarf focused poo poo as I assume they would be more interesting to me, than the concept of Space Marines are.

And speaking on Warhammer Online, for anybody who doesn't know about it's existence: there's a f2p private server Return of Reckoning that still reaches over 1.6k population, if anybody has a desire to play a fun Warhammer game with some of the best MMO-PvP there is.
Thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917780

knox fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 31, 2021

Sector Corrector
Nov 25, 2020

Just finished my second read-through of Vengeful Spirit, Mark of Calth, The Path of Heaven, and Angel Extertiminatus (slow weekend at the server farm), one question: What's an Ork?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

"They are far from here. And we will tell you something more: neither Erebus nor Kor Phaeron would struggle to accept the truths that we speak. Kor Phaeron has always kept his belief in the Old Ways hidden behind lying smiles, and Erebus drools in the presence of power."

Read a funny thread on 40klore about gently caress Erebus, not even the Chaos Gods like him. And it appears true. This daemon has no love for him and he's still not a Daemon Prince after all this time.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Sector Corrector posted:

Just finished my second read-through of Vengeful Spirit, Mark of Calth, The Path of Heaven, and Angel Extertiminatus (slow weekend at the server farm), one question: What's an Ork?

A mushroom with a bad attitude, a gun, and an axe.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Sector Corrector posted:

In the words of an eldar philosopher:

quote:

The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn? And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

knox posted:

Never read anything Warhammer related, the extent of my Warhammer knowledge is indirect exposure to it through knowing the games and specifically playing Warhammer Online. It seems to have the most 'novels' written on it's lore than any other sort of fantasy IP- what would be the best novels to start with? I'd much prefer Dark Elf/Chaos/Greenskins & Dwarf focused poo poo as I assume they would be more interesting to me, than the concept of Space Marines are.
The only Warhammer fantasy stuff I've read is the Gotrek and Felix books by King and I liked them a lot.

The action isn't over long, theyre kind of pulpy and it has Thanquol.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

So Thousand Sons > Prospero Burns > Crimson King > Fury of Magnus?

I actually skipped Crimson King because the summary read like a fetch quest and I learned about the splintering business. Is it that important/good?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm a little butt hurt I missed the limited editions. how do you guys stay on top of whats coming out? have you literally sub'd to the newsletter or something? Is there any other way?

Also I've seen some discussion of the next Pariah book coming out? I wonder where ADB is at with his Black Legion series and if it will make the jump to the new timeline

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Waroduce posted:

I'm a little butt hurt I missed the limited editions. how do you guys stay on top of whats coming out? have you literally sub'd to the newsletter or something? Is there any other way?

Also I've seen some discussion of the next Pariah book coming out? I wonder where ADB is at with his Black Legion series and if it will make the jump to the new timeline

Yeah keeping up on warhammer community articles. They announce them ahead of time and then in the Sunday preview article they always put anything coming out the next weekend.

He finished book 3 recently so we will probably get it in the next year or so.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What is the source where Corvus Corax is witnessed in the Eye of Terror with new superpwoers?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Baron Porkface posted:

What is the source where Corvus Corax is witnessed in the Eye of Terror with new superpwoers?

Short story called Shadow of the Past in the Sons of the Emperor anthology

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Speaking of Lorgar...I'm not sure I believe it, but I really like this theory:

https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/kpwd6l/the_option_3_heresy_conspiracy_theory_for_the/

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

D-Pad posted:

Speaking of Lorgar...I'm not sure I believe it, but I really like this theory:

https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/kpwd6l/the_option_3_heresy_conspiracy_theory_for_the/

It's a decent theory, I think some parts of it will turn out to be real and we will see this tied together in the Vengeful Spirit showdown, the Dark Imperium books, and also Eisenhorn who finds Chekov's Keeler Image in 40k and then ends up working with Alpha Legion. Abnett had to get special permission for something "big" he is writing into Penitent.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Brendan Rodgers posted:

It's a decent theory, I think some parts of it will turn out to be real and we will see this tied together in the Vengeful Spirit showdown, the Dark Imperium books, and also Eisenhorn who finds Chekov's Keeler Image in 40k and then ends up working with Alpha Legion. Abnett had to get special permission for something "big" he is writing into Penitent.

Wow I had no idea.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Even if that theory is mostly wrong, I'll be really surprised if Lorgar, Fulgrim, and Alpharius/Omegon aren't brought back soon as the next returning Primarchs. Oh and then Corax.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Before I click, does that have spoilers for the Alpharius Primarch novel?

Re that novel: I've heard that it does more to "confirm" AL's loyalty than anything previous, but would prefer to avoid concrete spoilers until I read it myself.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

No Alpharius spoilers. It just talks about what is already known as far as maybe Omegon is loyal. Nothing new from the new book.

BL has said several times that there is something about the end of the heresy that we don't know about and is significantly different than the existing lore. So I expect a twist of some kind. If that theory is true I bet it means Lorgar is the one who lowers the shields.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Ferrus Manus is revived on the bridge of the vengeful spirit only to immediately be decapitated while he's asking what's going on

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Kinda hope that they don't bring back any more primarchs

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

aphid_licker posted:

Yeah primarchs are old news they need to start bringing back thunder warriors and krorks.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

D-Pad posted:

No Alpharius spoilers. It just talks about what is already known as far as maybe Omegon is loyal. Nothing new from the new book.

BL has said several times that there is something about the end of the heresy that we don't know about and is significantly different than the existing lore. So I expect a twist of some kind. If that theory is true I bet it means Lorgar is the one who lowers the shields.

Yup and Abnett will probably be writing that conclusion on the Vengeful Spirit, which is why I think that Lorgar/Omegon theory you linked ties in to Pariah and the upcoming Penitent. Would also explain in Pariah the part with Teke saying that Fulgrim is trying to find and take down "The Yellow King".

Would also explain why it got delayed so much.

aphid_licker posted:

Oh they're coming, a few of them are in the foreshadowing stages.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
They kind of have to bring back some other Primarchs now that they but Roboute on the table.

But also Lorgar getting confirmation he was right all along is something I would like to read about.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Considering Magnus and Mortarion are running around, Angron's always been trying to manifest, Perturabo's still building poo poo somewhere, Fulgrim was seen in his snake form by the Eldar in the 42nd millenium, and Lorgar's return is being foreshadowed, the loyalists could definitely use some more Primarchs. The Lion will probably wake up. Corax is chasing Lorgar. Vulkan or Leman Russ could return. Omegon's been in there somewhere the entire time but who knows what he's actually doing.

It's got it's downsides but imo it's better than always being in 40999.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 1, 2021

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Considering Magnus and Mortarion are running around, Angron's always been trying to manifest, Perturabo's still building poo poo somewhere, Fulgrim was seen in his snake form by the Eldar in the 42nd millenium, and Lorgar's return is being foreshadowed, the loyalists could definitely use some more Primarchs. The Lion will probably wake up. Corax is chasing Lorgar. Vulkan or Leman Russ could return. Omegon's been in there somewhere the entire time but who knows what he's actually doing.

It's got it's downsides but imo it's better than always being in 40999.

Lion's been up and about, but just kind of hanging in the Rock since 8th edition, hasn't he? I know Luther disappeared too.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Only halfway through but I’m enjoying The Infinite and the Divine more than any 40k book in a while.

Trazyn seems to be generally having a great time and how much him and Orikan despise each other in really petty ways is funny. And now some Orks have shown up to really top it off.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Inspector_666 posted:

They kind of have to bring back some other Primarchs now that they but Roboute on the table.

But also Lorgar getting confirmation he was right all along is something I would like to read about.

Imagine Lorgar posting smug messages non stop in Chaos Twitter.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Immanentized posted:

Lion's been up and about, but just kind of hanging in the Rock since 8th edition, hasn't he? I know Luther disappeared too.

I think he was said to have "healed" now but still be asleep, I don't remember though.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

peanut- posted:

Only halfway through but I’m enjoying The Infinite and the Divine more than any 40k book in a while.

Trazyn seems to be generally having a great time and how much him and Orikan despise each other in really petty ways is funny. And now some Orks have shown up to really top it off.

Wait til you get to the statue, that part is amazing

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Bringing back the primarchs is the obvious big metaplot move for the foreseeable future, they've already done three. I hope the loyalist primarchs don't start showing up until poo poo is really, really, really bad though, that would be the funniest option.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I think Girlyman is going to "discover" another loyalist as part of the indomitus crusade. It makes sense why they are retconning Dark Imperium if they decided to do so and DI doesn't mention another primarch being around.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

D-Pad posted:

I think Girlyman is going to "discover" another loyalist as part of the indomitus crusade. It makes sense why they are retconning Dark Imperium if they decided to do so and DI doesn't mention another primarch being around.

What direction is Guilliman's part of Indomitus heading in? That's the best indicator as to who's first.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the beast series I heard implies dorn is still alive, and theoretically corax, Vulcan, the Khan and Russ could all be chilling out on the same beach somewhere

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the beast series I heard implies dorn is still alive, and theoretically corax, Vulcan, the Khan and Russ could all be chilling out on the same beach somewhere

Vulkan shows up in the War of the Beast. They literally go and scrape him off the planet he's guarding to kill him again futilely. Khan is probably Lord Humungous of Commorah, Russ is fully wolfed in the EoT, Corax is cyberbullying Lorgar and the others, also in the EoT. I think Dorn might be the only loyalist to have a confirmed death post-heresy in the 2nd Black Legion novel. Hell, even Sanguinius might respawn with all of the Sanguinor bullshit over the years, and the fire-spirit of Ferrus Mannus was summoned in the Imperial webway during the Secret War. Death is fixable in 40k in a very big way.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
As much as I like several Primarchs, I am really ambivalent about bringing them back. It makes the entire setting a family feud, rather than a mad tapestry of war with a thousand small strands that you can zoom in.

Who cares about Marneus Calgar if Roboute Guilliman is calling the shots for the blues? What is Typhus' protagonism if Mortarion himself is plaguing it up across the stars? We know they are going to lose the moment a primarch (or Custodes) pops up. The stakes have been firmly set in a hierarchy.

Anyhow, it's just a peeve. This is the way it's going now. I just hope they manage to put out fun and interesting fare, instead of "Primarch X duels Primarch Y, one fares somewhat worse but the fight is broken due to circumstance Z".

PS- Also, why is Corax chasing Lorgar? Wouldn't he be way more useful in the riven Imperium than poking the Warp to fight someone that can't be killed?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Sephyr posted:

As much as I like several Primarchs, I am really ambivalent about bringing them back. It makes the entire setting a family feud, rather than a mad tapestry of war with a thousand small strands that you can zoom in.

Who cares about Marneus Calgar if Roboute Guilliman is calling the shots for the blues? What is Typhus' protagonism if Mortarion himself is plaguing it up across the stars? We know they are going to lose the moment a primarch (or Custodes) pops up. The stakes have been firmly set in a hierarchy.

Anyhow, it's just a peeve. This is the way it's going now. I just hope they manage to put out fun and interesting fare, instead of "Primarch X duels Primarch Y, one fares somewhat worse but the fight is broken due to circumstance Z".

PS- Also, why is Corax chasing Lorgar? Wouldn't he be way more useful in the riven Imperium than poking the Warp to fight someone that can't be killed?

Nevermore.

Corax REALLY wants to do revenge. Seems like it'll be really important too if things shape up like the spoilers/theories indicate.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

Nevermore.

Corax REALLY wants to do revenge. Seems like it'll be really important too if things shape up like the spoilers/theories indicate.

He also came ridiculously close to slaughtering Lorgar during the Istvaan landing and has carried a serious hatred and need to revenge upon Lorgar specfically ever since.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sephyr posted:

Seeking vengeance above all else is almost always stupid and detrimental, and he is the avatar of vengeance soooo...

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

My absolute dream situation would be two returning Fulgrims. Daemon Fulgrim and clone Fulgrim containing Painting Fulgrim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

IshmaelZarkov posted:

My absolute dream situation would be two returning Fulgrims. Daemon Fulgrim and clone Fulgrim containing Painting Fulgrim.

i'm pretty sure graham mcneill dumpstered Painting Fulgrim, the single most interesting canon change of the entire HH series, in the execrable short story "the reflection crack'd" which also features fulgrim getting a butt plug stuffed up him by his sons