Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Finally Pissflaps is free to spend more time with their family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just saw an ad on facebook from our local leisure centre full of images of old people - then I realized it was targeted at over 60s - then I remember, that's me. :corsair: :boom:

If it makes you feel any better, I’m over 20 years too young for them but I get shitloads of over-60s ads over the internet too. I think it’s just down to who’s the most susceptible to ads and so those are the most common ones.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sounds like someone needs my

Exclusive AdBlocker For People Born Before 1964!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

Finally Pissflaps is free to spend more time with their family.

Family, lol. Good one. Someone check if he's jumped ship to Glinner's racket.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I keep getting adverts for home insurance, stock trading apps, expensive fashion items, and that one advert for falun gong.

So i don't know what google thinks I am but it seems to think I am much richer than I am.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I highly recommend baking your own bread. I stopped for a few years but have started again in lockdown. It's fun, delicious, and significantly easier than you have been led to believe.

Extremely true. It’s terrifically satisfying. This bunch are very friendly and helpful:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511135&perpage=40&noseen=1

Edit: also relatively cheap

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I got a loaf of bread for 10p today so I think we might have different standards of cheap.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

:eng101: make your own bread by soaking crackers in tea

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

mehall posted:

Some of you may wish to know that Twitter no longer has need of a certain engaging and high-impact poster

https://twitter.com/psflaps

Banned for being a loving TERF.

Now this has made my loving day

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Like Roald Dahl, author of beloved children's books such as James and the Giant Jewish Plot to Overcharge for Basic Goods.
It's funny how Qanon types will happily buy conspiracies like this, but when you point out that the WASPY christian types at McKinsey literally did this with bread prices in Canada they go 'seems sus' and go back to looking for microchips in their soup.

Borrovan posted:

but..... raw meat....
Can we fast forward to the bit where we all agree that lab grown meat is going to be the poo poo, both from an ethical and quality standpoint?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Former chancellor George Osborne to become full-time banker

:v:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Typical grauniad

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's funny how Qanon types will happily buy conspiracies like this, but when you point out that the WASPY christian types at McKinsey literally did this with bread prices in Canada they go 'seems sus' and go back to looking for microchips in their soup.

Can we fast forward to the bit where we all agree that lab grown meat is going to be the poo poo, both from an ethical and quality standpoint?

re food price manipulation: for some reason I ended up on the wiki page for cotton oil and it has the most incredible 19th_century_capitalism.txt bit in it

quote:

Cottonseed oil then began to be used illegally to fortify animal fats and lards. Initially, meat packers secretly added cottonseed oil to the pure fats, but this practice was uncovered in 1884. Armour and Company, an American meatpacking and food processing company, sought to corner the lard market and realized that it had purchased more lard than the existing hog population could have produced. A congressional investigation followed, and legislation was passed that required products fortified with cottonseed oil to be labeled as ‘‘lard compound.”

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/piercepenniless/status/1356331917478604800

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

OwlFancier posted:

I got a loaf of bread for 10p today so I think we might have different standards of cheap.

heh you paid money for bread? simply go to the nearest park and battle the pigeons there for their discarded bread scraps.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Bread chat, someone got me a bread cloche for Christmas and I just got myself a banneton and am trying my hand at proper fancy loaves.

https://twitter.com/noxvillewy/status/1355843630116859909?s=21

Not getting quite the rise I’d hoped but it may be because my sourdough culture is still young?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Noxville posted:

Bread chat, someone got me a bread cloche for Christmas and I just got myself a banneton and am trying my hand at proper fancy loaves.

Not getting quite the rise I’d hoped but it may be because my sourdough culture is still young?

Sourdough is difficult in winter unless you have a warm kitchen all the time

I'd be super happy with that loaf

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 2, 2021

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Yeah getting bread to prove at the moment is pretty difficult. I'm kind of wondering about putting my next loaf in the airing cupboard or something.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've started proving in the oven with just the light turned on

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Perfect.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The FCA are regulating the buy now/pay later shitehawks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55895162

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Bread chat?

I sometimes fry a pan of diced chorizo to just about crispy and add the meat and reduced fat (cooled to room temp) from that to a standard white bread recipe dough, just before the second proof

It's a simplified version of a spanish pastry called hornazo that also has blood sausage and boiled eggs and stuff, traditionally baked to celebrate the return of sex workers to the city of salamanca after they got evicted for lent by the evil bishops

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Noxville posted:

I'm thinking of getting a styrofoam box with a heating mat. I live in a building from the interwar period with 3m high ceilings. It's impossible to control temperature, so I can't get consistent bread. One rises fine, the next stays a sad blob of sadness…

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

My oven does have a specific ‘bread prove’ setting and it’s been super handy

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Needs the music
https://twitter.com/fritolaysia/status/1356357948218499073

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Noxville posted:

Not getting quite the rise I’d hoped
I'm sure someone will call you a booj middle class kieth voter soon. :dadjoke:

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah getting bread to prove at the moment is pretty difficult. I'm kind of wondering about putting my next loaf in the airing cupboard or something.

Skarsnik posted:

That sounds like the kind of thing that a 40W light bulb, a foam cooler, and a PID controller would be perfect for.

Speaking of being booj enough to have rooms of consistent non-lovely temperatures god drat I'd enjoy a solid fuel aga at the end of the kitchen about this time of year.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Sourdough chat

You need to make sure your starter is lively enough. Basically - don't feed too often. You need to let it build right back to full (i.e. when it stops being frothy and settles almost right back down) so the yeast in there gets to consume all it can, and reproduce as much as possible. Do this a few times to get the mixture to max yeasty strength, if you are feeding when it is still multiplying, the result will be keep getting diluted.
Then I do 150g starter, 250g flour, 1/2 tsp salt & sugar, about 100ml water to make 1 loaf. That leaves ~100ml starter in the jar to feed for the next one. Do this as 11am, and it's ready to cook for 4-5pm.
I also bought a pot of fast action yeast as it's pretty much the same but now you can do it the hard way, with the real stuff you can go flour->loaf in about 2 hours

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
More news on the consequences of brexit.

Fashion industry? hosed.

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1356315692920922112

Shellfish industry? Potentially about to collapse since apparently there's no exporting live shellfish to the EU for the foreseeable future, which has been known to be a problem since last year but nothing's been done by the government and if it's not clear if they even realise/care that the industry can't go on without exports. Industry bodies are reaching out to the government at the moment it looks like on that one.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Do this while you're at work and it's ready to cook while you're still at work. Except it's not because you live in an uninsulated shoe box.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The government doesnt really believe in governing so I assume it'll be targeted micro interventions at industries owned by nieces and nephews

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you want a picture of the future of EU negotiations, imagine a furious twitter fight between Neil Hamilton and a lettuce.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Of all the stupidity of Brexit the biggest oddity to me is how keen the government seems to be to immediately erect incredibly restrictive bureaucratic barriers and be utterly inflexible on them.

There will be a lot of barriers from the EU that we can't avoid, but half of these complexities are on our end and the only response seems to be "well you should have been more prepared for this deal that was signed 5 days before it came into effect. We produced several leaflets about it."

I thought we were meant to have a bonfire of the red tape.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Though I will say that the main complaint from the fashion industry seems to be that they can't import dirt cheap factory labour so easily

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
tbh I'd rather we all wore vinylon onesies than half of the poo poo that the fashion industry gets up to.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Guavanaut posted:

That sounds like the kind of thing that a 40W light bulb, a foam cooler, and a PID controller would be perfect for.

I do have drawers full of older raspberry pi here to be fair :hmmyes:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

DesperateDan posted:

It's a simplified version of a spanish pastry called hornazo that also has blood sausage and boiled eggs and stuff, traditionally baked to celebrate the return of sex workers to the city of salamanca after they got evicted for lent by the evil bishops

I love poo poo like this that destroys the image of the past of being some morally pure time, rather than a time when people would have a big public party to celebrate loving.

I think the book that really destroyed the image of historical Christian purity for me was Barbara Tuchman's A Distant Mirror where there is a bit about how the clergy were getting pissed off about people only coming to church at christmas an easter in the fourteenth century, which until that point popular culture had led me to believe was a modern sign of our declining morality rather than a consistent theme of history.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

Though I will say that the main complaint from the fashion industry seems to be that they can't import dirt cheap factory labour so easily

It really isn't. Its about the needless complexities of movement of goods & people that the industry has grown on for the past 40 years.

But go off.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Fashionistas can't swan off to Paris catwalks for the weekend and that's just not on /starmer

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I mean the first actual policy request in the open letter is about removing short term visa restrictions for garment factory workers.

I will happily go with "one of the main complaints" though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

peanut- posted:

I thought we were meant to have a bonfire of the red tape.

You don't need red tape when you're not allowed to do the thing the red tape was needed for!