Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Who was that blonde undercover solider again? I have no memory of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
When I first started watching AoT, the "lines of succession" stuff, talk of kings, and inheriting Titan powers almost turned me off the show completely.

I liked that at first it seemed like Titans were just this force of nature, animals that smiled dumbly as they ate you. They weren't things that were transformed. They just "were". Unstoppable because, hey, humans weren't at the top of the food chain anymore. The idea that we could be smashed like a bug or torn in two by something that sort-of-looks-like-you is horrifying.

That being said, I've gotten over that feeling, big time. These past two seasons, especially the most current episodes, have more than proven how integral it's been to the whole show. The thematic arcs of examining warfare, extremism, and escalation have been stellar.

This has been my first "appointment" gotta-see-it-the-second-it-comes-out show since the heydays of Lost.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

JT Smiley posted:

They tell you right in the episode.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

When I first started watching AoT, the "lines of succession" stuff, talk of kings, and inheriting Titan powers almost turned me off the show completely.

I almost quit when Eren turned into a titan because I thought instead of a gritty war story it'd turn into a shounen with superpowers.

Turns out it was a military-political drama & mystery thriller all along!

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 1, 2021

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Conspiratiorist posted:

They tell you right in the episode.

Yes I know, I'm saying I don't have any memory of who that character is.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

JT Smiley posted:

As an anime-only watcher, she's a new character, Yelena. One of Zeke's radical followers who was on the first of those "disappeared" scout ships Marley sent to Paradis after Reiner came back.

Nm, lol.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

teagone posted:

As an anime-only watcher, she's a new character, Yelena. One of Zeke's radical followers who was on the first of those "disappeared" scout ships Marley sent to Paradis after Reiner came back.

Nm, lol.

Thanks, gotcha.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

JT Smiley posted:

Yes I know, I'm saying I don't have any memory of who that character is.

Ah. She's new - leading the Galliard and Pieck to the trap was her first ever appearance.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

JT Smiley posted:

Thanks, gotcha.

Oh, I had just assumed you were asking from the manga after editing my post, lmao.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Good episode but it felt like we only covered like one chapters worth of manga this episode. It’s got me sweating thinking how much more they have to cover and how they’re possible going to do it, even if the “Final Season” has a part 2.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ccs posted:

Good episode but it felt like we only covered like one chapters worth of manga this episode. It’s got me sweating thinking how much more they have to cover and how they’re possible going to do it, even if the “Final Season” has a part 2.

As stated it’s perfectly reasonable to expect this is the “final season” but they may end up having the conclusion as a movie. Especially after demon slayer just proves how much money an in continuity film can make.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI2O2PbfLbc

Don't agree? fight me

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

DamnGlitch posted:

As stated it’s perfectly reasonable to expect this is the “final season” but they may end up having the conclusion as a movie. Especially after demon slayer just proves how much money an in continuity film can make.

Honestly, from my cursory understanding of manga spoilers I've picked up from the wiki, it looks like we'd need a Season 4: Part 2 and a movie to wrap things up

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sockser posted:

Honestly, from my cursory understanding of manga spoilers I've picked up from the wiki, it looks like we'd need a Season 4: Part 2 and a movie to wrap things up

Yes, theres certainly going to be a second cour.

That’s been my assumption from the start. Speculation that the show would be finished with 16 + 10ish eps is based on 2 chapters an ep. if it’s slower than that, we may be looking at either a longer (either 16 or more) for the second part or a movie.

All said, I think the pacing has been excellent and every episode has felt about ten minutes long at most. I’m really pleased and somewhat confident theres nothing to gain by compressing things unnecessarily when this is one of the most popular series in recent memory. To have a movie cap things off and make (conservatively) 150 million on top of it all has to be an easy choice if the “final season” run time is insufficient.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I said to my partner, I think next week is gonna be a talky episode and I’m so excited to get back to the paradis characters and see what the hell has been going on the last 4 years.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
Maybe I missed something so feel free to tell me, but I don't really get why Eren didn't eat the Jaw Titan and Armored Titan? I remember he said he couldn't bear to kill Reiner now... because he was weak? Or... what was it? Was Eren too weak? What did I miss here, why didn't he eat the fuckers

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

He said he was out of energy before that, so I'd guess there's still a limit on how many times he can make the Attack Titan.

e: plus it was night so he wouldnt be getting his solar recharge

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Feb 1, 2021

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Great to see that episode animated and voice acted.

I like how Eren's been running a stoic facade that cracks when he gets the bad news.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

A lot of low-key and interesting information revealed in this episode. It seems like the whole plan was Zeke's, how he got Eren to go along with it is something I'm very interested in. Also looks like Eren just sent letters to people telling them what he's doing and what they're doing and they were like gently caress. Amazing how well the plan went off all things considered. And boy are they PISSED that he used them like pawns, he's ruined all his relationships. Especially Levi, goddamn he's never had contempt for Eren like that.

Looking forward to next week's episode, seeing how Paradis has changed, how everyone treats Eren and Zeke. Falco clearly gets the situation from Reiner, but can they deprogram Gabi? She's a wildcard.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I loved seeing Gabi go "we're going to avenge Zeke", and Jean was like "haha, yeah, about that..."

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Right now I really like the idea of Zeke sending a ship full of his loyalists to Paradis, hoping that they won't be killed outright and can make overtures towards working together. Maybe get some additional tech loaded on board for Hange to take apart as a gesture of goodwill.

ETA: Was Zeke going by another last name in Marley, or were there are lot of very awkward "No no, I'm definitely not related to the terrorist Eren Yeager" conversations?

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 1, 2021

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Maera Sior posted:

ETA: Was Zeke going by another last name in Marley, or were there are lot of very awkward "No no, I'm definitely not related to the terrorist Eren Yeager" conversations?

Presumably since he was fine with turning in his own parents they'd have no reason to ever suspect he'd work together with a half-brother he barely knows.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Zeke very openly gave up his parents to the military and his grandparents were also named Yeager (one of the doctors calls his grandfather Yeager after he has a breakdown talking to Eren).

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I would like to say that trying to keep track of the correct spelling for character names in this show is a nightmare. Mike/Miche, Hange/Hanji, Yaeger/Yeager/Jaeger, Ackerman/Ackermann. Is this a case of the manga and anime having different spellings, changes to the spelling happening between seasons, fan translations, all of the above?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's all consistent in the anime that I've seen, spelling "Jaeger" wrong sounds like something a fantranslation of the manga would do

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Maera Sior posted:

I would like to say that trying to keep track of the correct spelling for character names in this show is a nightmare. Mike/Miche, Hange/Hanji, Yaeger/Yeager/Jaeger, Ackerman/Ackermann. Is this a case of the manga and anime having different spellings, changes to the spelling happening between seasons, fan translations, all of the above?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

This is why I just call him Bert sometimes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The Crunchyroll/Hulu names in their official subs are all that I know.

[edit]

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it's all consistent in the anime that I've seen, spelling "Jaeger" wrong sounds like something a fantranslation of the manga would do

I tried watching a fansub of season 4 and couldn't stand all the differences, so I ended up resorting to Hulu and buying no-ads for my account lol.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

teagone posted:

The Crunchyroll/Hulu names in their official subs are all that I know.

Going from season 1 to 2 on disc, I'm pretty sure they changed it from "Mike" to "Miche" in the subs.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Maera Sior posted:

Isayama is using German/western names written in kana, which then need to be interpreted by the translator, or you end up with hyper literal "Berutoruto" which isn't exactly a common western name. Ultimately there's a judgement call to make about what the "intended" name is supposed to be and I don't *think* there's direct coordination between the official manga translation team and the folks doing subs for Crunchyroll or Hulu. Naturally you end up with some disagreement about what makes sense, although thankfully we moved away from stuff like Captain Rivaille.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Maera Sior posted:

Going from season 1 to 2 on disc, I'm pretty sure they changed it from "Mike" to "Miche" in the subs.

Oh yeah huh, you're right. I just checked lol. It's Hanji and Mike in Season 1, lmao. [edit] And then yep, Season 2 goes to, imo, the proper Hange and Miche.

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 1, 2021

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Rocco posted:

Maybe I missed something so feel free to tell me, but I don't really get why Eren didn't eat the Jaw Titan and Armored Titan? I remember he said he couldn't bear to kill Reiner now... because he was weak? Or... what was it? Was Eren too weak? What did I miss here, why didn't he eat the fuckers

I don’t think Erin wants to kill Reiner. I think once Reiner got ahold of the jaw Erin decided it wasn’t worth it.

Even if that’s not the case, Eren was on his like third consecutive transformation and was probably wiped.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Rewatched some chunks of the episode and now I'm here:
- Zeke wants to remake Eldia in some form. His plans require both the Founding Titan and a titan with royal blood, so that means he needs Eren to buy in.
- Eren is willing to go along with Zeke's plan, but to what extent we don't know. He was willing to eat the WH Titan and make himself and Paradis even more of a target.
- Eren was actively communicating with Zeke (the baseball mitt, watching Zeke and the Warriors from the roof) but was unidirectionally sending plans to the Scouts stationed in Marley (Jean and maybe some others) and assumed they go along with it.
- The Scouts did not buy into the plan, but were forced to participate in order to save Eren.
- The Scouts were probably only given the broad strokes of the plan, because Armin was singled out as developing the specifics on how to execute their part. I expect "and then you arrive and get us back to Paradis" was the general order.
- Some of Zeke's Freaks (totally using that) have been working with the Scouts for a while, probably since they went to Paradis. Onyankapon is liked by the Scouts, Yelena not so much. Probably not a whole lot of trust in general.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Maera Sior posted:

Zeke's Freaks (totally using that) have been working with the Scouts for a while, probably since they went to Paradis. Onyankapon is liked by the Scouts, Yelena not so much. Probably not a whole lot of trust in general.
Speaking of, my current guess is that they're all from countries under Marleyan occupation, why they're throwing their lot in with the Kong.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Mordja posted:

Speaking of, my current guess is that they're all from countries under Marleyan occupation, why they're throwing their lot in with the Kong.

Could be, we have no idea who gets to join the Marleyan army or how many generations away Marley is from open wars of conquest.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
It's couldn't be that many years/generations right? Wasn't the exile to Paradis only a little over 100 years ago?

General Probe fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 2, 2021

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

General Probe posted:

It's couldn't be that many years/geberatiosn right? Wasn't the exile to Paradis only a little over 100 years ago?

Something like that. My logic is that while they might not allow their new conquests to immediately join their army, a generation or two later it seems like a perfectly fine idea. Of course, that generation may not be as willing to overlook Marley's past actions as they thought.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Yeah, someone mentioned a few posts up that Marley is loosely modeled on Italy/Rome and Rome was well know for integrating vanquished enemies into their army/society. Hell, many Colonial powers had Colonial armies that were staffed by the people of the colony.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

General Probe posted:

Yeah, someone mentioned a few posts up that Marley is loosely modeled on Italy/Rome and Rome was well know for integrating vanquished enemies into their army/society. Hell, many Colonial powers had Colonial armies that were staffed by the people of the colony.

Magath also mentioned that one of Marley's problems is that it's at war all the time, but the country's native population isn't effected by it, so they have no reason to stop. (It's why he has the draft on his list of policy suggestions). Vanquished enemies in the army fit pretty well with that model.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, I remember Willy saying General Magath wanted to bring back conscription for Marley's military; he'd rather have Eldians and other people of conquered nations fight Marley's wars instead of Marleyans themselves for obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

teagone posted:

Yeah, I remember Willy saying General Magath wanted to bring back conscription for Marley's military; he'd rather have Eldians and other people of conquered nations fight Marley's wars instead of Marleyans themselves for obvious reasons.

It's the other way around: Marley fights primarily with conscripted non-Marleyans. Magath, however, has been pushing to instate a Marleyan draft so that the country will lose its taste for war by having its own citizens fight them.