Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FFX combat could’ve been really fun, but the enemies you meet in random encounters all act as locks to your characters’ keys. Wolf enemy? Tidus will one-shot it. Flying eye enemy? Wakka will one-shot it. Armadillo enemy? Auron will one-shot it. Flan enemy? Lulu will one-shot it. Machine enemy? Rikku will one-shot it. Nothing else matters. Kimahri, you can be a worse version of one of these characters if you’d like, that’s cool

The bosses all have fun gimmicks though, that game should’ve been 100% boss battles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Looper posted:

persona 4 is the only one i've played and its combat is pretty terrible imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMjCTe5e2ZI

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

This is why I stopped playing. How you gonna charge for internet while serving a somehow less featured wii u network service? Constantly getting disconnects or missing teammates and splatfests were hell.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Thanks Twitter user OatmealDome

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

On the subject of combat, so many modern JRPGS - including AAA ones - still operate under the same design as the SNES Final Fantasies which is cool I guess but if I want that in a game I'll just replay one of those. Like I love turn based combat systems, but I need something different too whether that's a Fire Emblem grid kind of thing or something as simple as a deck builder otherwise I'm just completely turned off by it and don't even want to engage with the whole game. That's why the Bravely series isn't holding my interest, or Skies of Arcadia (sorry Looper!) or even Trails of Cold Steel. If the first 30 minutes or so doesn't give me something special to engage with than I'm better off watching someone's playthrough or reading a synopsis of the story than trying to force myself to play something I've come to hate.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Arzaac posted:

I have a specific problem with Persona combat that I've never been able to articulate very well, but I think I've got the words now so here goes

So I think this is mostly true, but for me the real strategy of the series comes in the fusion part, where you have to tailor your team based around who you're fighting. Persona doesn't do as good of a job as SMT proper at this, because bosses can't/don't have elemental weaknesses, so you just have a strong physical attacker for every boss, and even then there's only like seven bosses in the game. But for games like Nocturne, the Matador fight is won or lost before you even start the fight, except that is almost every boss fight and there's like forty boss fights. This part feels good because in basically every other creature capture game you can just win every fight with whoever you have sitting around. The movepool is also big enough that it feels good to chainfuse a demon with really good skills that stays with you for a long time while the rest of your team is constantly cycling out

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

A lot of jrpgs hide their cool systems behind ten hours of tutorial

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That doesn't really make them sound any more appealing, tbh.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

my girlfriend and I are getting to the endgame in Outer Wilds, I think, although some hard-to-reach locations still have an asterisk where I'm not sure what else they want me to do. I (big spoilers don't read if you want to play this game and haven't) warped to the Sun Station and found out exploding our star was literally the only purpose and it seems to be working 280,000 years later and now I really hate the Nomai

I've still got to figure out how to get to a bunch of places but it feels like it's coming together a bit

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

It's because the system that Persona is ostensibly based off of (Shin Megami Tensei) is like that but for Persona specifically they significantly reduced the difficulty, made it flashier/snappier/more superficially stimulating, and just all around made it much more marketable even as the meat on the bone became completely lost from the battle system. As Persona has gotten more popular and SMT less so the praise that made the latter popular has persisted while the elements that actually made it so have faded from the entries that are actually selling and getting the most current buzz.

Is SMT really that much deeper? I mean the Press Turn ones, specifically. Ultimately they still boil down to buff/debuff, then hit weaknesses/get criticals to get more press turns. The biggest difference is the shared nature of turns (all allies go, then all enemies, while Persona uses an initiative order) and that there's no knock-down component. You can customize your team a lot more in SMT since they're all demons you fuse, and that does add more complexity/depth, but the system itself isn't necessarily a deeper one.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

What if it was behind a six hour Tim Rogers video

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Cardiovorax posted:

That doesn't really make them sound any more appealing, tbh.

One of my favorite parts of Devil Survivor was making a flow chart of what demons fused into what so I could pass Null Phys onto a demon that naturally learned Anti-Most so it was functionally invincible

Shoutout to my homie Purple Mirror

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
When you boil it down to the broadest strokes, no combat system is going to sound deep. The depth comes from how much juggling you have to do in a fight to keep all that working - you have to deal damage, buff, debuff, undo enemy buffs, make sure you're not using the wrong element when they're shielding, you have to get more turns, and you have to do all of that in the right order against an enemy who can usually two- or three-shot you. It's actually pretty intense, because a single mistake can mean your entire group gets wiped.

That's what makes it more complex and engaging, not merely the fact that it has those system.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

my girlfriend and I are getting to the endgame in Outer Wilds, I think, although some hard-to-reach locations still have an asterisk where I'm not sure what else they want me to do. I (big spoilers don't read if you want to play this game and haven't) warped to the Sun Station and found out exploding our star was literally the only purpose and it seems to be working 280,000 years later and now I really hate the Nomai

no, it wasn't. that's the whole point of the sun station revelation - they wanted it to explode the star (in a safe and eco-friendly way that would have used their quantum tech to undo the event after they gained the information they needed), but it failed. the stars are dying for an entirely different reason

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I've still got to figure out how to get to a bunch of places but it feels like it's coming together a bit

The fact that this knowledge makes you hate the Nomai instead of admire them for their post-extinction resilience tells me you have yet a few mysteries to uncover and link together. For what it's worth, the sun station is some great lore, but you need not return here if you've already gotten the news available there.

More direct spoilers of where to focus your attention: Make sure you've been to the core of the ocean planet and have spent a whole day or two exploring on the twin planets.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

You may want to go back and read more carefully because you should've learned something else there that you'd definitely have mentioned (although it's not necessary information for deciding what to do next it may give some context for that decision).

Khanstant, you may want to spoiler that first paragraph too.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Nm, playing gnomoria, wizard101, and this hidden object game where you find cats

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

Nm, playing gnomoria, wizard101, and this hidden object game where you find cats

Whats the sound effect when you reveal a cat?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Jay Rust posted:

That makes me want to engage with it less I think.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

https://twitter.com/RE_Games/status/1356391885816823808?s=19

Thank you, Resident Evil! Very cool.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

konami announcing a new silent hill with a slightly taller lady

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

game should’ve been 100% boss battles

this is true of many (but not all) JRPGS

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Whats the sound effect when you reveal a cat?

I think they just meow. The game's called Hidden Paws. You look around some snowy islands opening up windows and boxes and looking around rocks to find the cats. And also yarn balls.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I haven't been to the Giant's Deep core yet, I've just met Feldspar and learned that the dead jellyfish in the ice is probably the key to getting in there. that's our job for tomorrow

maybe I misunderstood the Sun Station revelation, but all the text regarding the Ash Twin Project has made it sound like they're doing something reckless that may have hosed the solar system. nothing I read there made it clear they were trying to unfuck the Sun, it sounded like a Jurassic Park problem where they were trying so hard to see if they could blow the Sun up so they could figure out if it was true they were breaking causality with their warping that they didn't stop to ask if they should. if I'm wrong, maybe I'll figure it out later

my list of places to go to still are Giant's Deep core, Tower of Quantum Knowledge on Brittle Hollow, see what's poppin with the Interloper, and figure out what chain of events I've got to make happen to finish what the Nomai started but I'll see what progress I can make tomorrow

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

if I'm wrong, maybe I'll figure it out later

Yeah this is kinda way off

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Just like real explorers...

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah this is kinda way off

interesting. sounds like I've got more adventuring to do, which rocks. we're having a lot of fun

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

maybe I misunderstood the Sun Station revelation, but all the text regarding the Ash Twin Project has made it sound like they're doing something reckless that may have hosed the solar system. nothing I read there made it clear they were trying to unfuck the Sun, it sounded like a Jurassic Park problem where they were trying so hard to see if they could blow the Sun up so they could figure out if it was true they were breaking causality with their warping that they didn't stop to ask if they should. if I'm wrong, maybe I'll figure it out later
They were't trying to unfuck anything, they really were terrible people who wanted to blow up the sun, only what the sun station logs tell you is it didn't work, they just couldn't trigger a supernova, and instead by the time you enter the picture the sun's just reached the natural end of its life.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

wuggles posted:

Yeah I didn't even look at the actual numbers. Binomial distributions with p=0.5 can look bell shaped-ish, so I thought it might be that, but it just looks like a regular ol discrete distribution

But I'm probably going to use this as an example when we get to the part of the semester where we calculate expected values

I've just applied for a job where I might have to teach intro stats to undergrads, but I didn't think about noting down distributions for examples as I come across them. Good idea!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Harrow posted:

Is SMT really that much deeper? I mean the Press Turn ones, specifically. Ultimately they still boil down to buff/debuff, then hit weaknesses/get criticals to get more press turns. The biggest difference is the shared nature of turns (all allies go, then all enemies, while Persona uses an initiative order) and that there's no knock-down component. You can customize your team a lot more in SMT since they're all demons you fuse, and that does add more complexity/depth, but the system itself isn't necessarily a deeper one.

Cardiovorax posted:

When you boil it down to the broadest strokes, no combat system is going to sound deep. The depth comes from how much juggling you have to do in a fight to keep all that working - you have to deal damage, buff, debuff, undo enemy buffs, make sure you're not using the wrong element when they're shielding, you have to get more turns, and you have to do all of that in the right order against an enemy who can usually two- or three-shot you. It's actually pretty intense, because a single mistake can mean your entire group gets wiped.

That's what makes it more complex and engaging, not merely the fact that it has those system.
Yes, it's this. Think about the way your approach fusion and team construction in Nocturne vs. any of the modern Personas; it's the same basic system (smoosh demons together to make new ones with carryover skills) but it's significantly reduced in complexity for Persona simply due to the fact that you only ever have to really worry about the MC as your party members basically have static loadouts that have a pretty set progression path. In Nocturne you need to juggle far more moving parts and all aspects of how they synergize together is part of what makes it more challenging and requiring of the aforementioned buffs/debuffs.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Chev posted:

They were't trying to unfuck anything, they really were terrible people who wanted to blow up the sun, only what the sun station logs tell you is it didn't work, they just couldn't trigger a supernova, and instead by the time you enter the picture the sun's just reached the natural end of its life.

again, no (gandalf probably don't read this)

they were very careful about rigging up their quantum devices so that the energy from the sun blowing up would create a recursive loop of the probe firing off and mapping its coordinates until it found the Eye, at which point the loop would be terminated by the Nomai with the sun safe and sound. there was nothing "terrible" about it, and even then, they had a fierce ethics debate over whether the project was worth it even if their time loops kept the event as a strict hypothetical

i get rankled by any interpretation of the Nomai as irresponsible mad scientists because all the evidence states they were extremely cautious and eco-conscious with their research, to the point where even their space travel relied on the forces of raw physics and incredibly complex coordinate-mapping instead of pollutive fuels. it's a refreshing departure from the usual "precursor aliens" cliches and makes what ultimately happened to them all the more tragic

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jay Rust posted:

The bosses all have fun gimmicks though, that game should’ve been 100% boss battles

i've come away from a number of jrpgs with a similar sentiment.

Weedle posted:

xposting from the retro console thread because this thing whips rear end

these things seem neat.

some of the youtube coverage feels more like a promo than a review, tho.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Harrow posted:

The only Persona I've played is 5, but just the fact that buffs only last 3 turns and don't stack already changes the flow of the battles significantly. You can risk going underleveled into a fight in SMT if you have the right buffs.
Also, a lot of the Persona-exclusive additions to the combat system seem to be specifically designed to remove strategic decisions and risk-taking.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Chev posted:

How does that make them terrible people? There's nothing inherently unethical with a star blowing up and in-universe what they were ultimately trying to do is literally the most important thing in the universe, essentially the only thing that offers anything else that ever happened in the universe any sense of continuity in any way

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

In Nocturne you need to juggle far more moving parts and all aspects of how they synergize together is part of what makes it more challenging and requiring of the aforementioned buffs/debuffs.
Yeah, basically. And the same applies to the Digital Devil Saga games too, due to being basically just an even-more-refined and more conventionally JRPG-like take on the SMT press turn formula. The boss fight against Meghanada at the end of DDS2 is the most excited I can remember ever getting about a fight in any video game I've played. I went into it somewhat underlevelled and it was gruelling. It took me over half a dozen tries until I finally found the right composition of skills and passives and when I finally defeated him, it was by the skin of my teeth and with only one character left standing. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time and think I literally cheered out loud when he finally died. The adrenaline was real.

Anyone who thinks these games are simple or formulaic just because you can sum up the fundamentals of the combat system in three or four sentences is really doing them an injustice.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Played a bit of Vice City on PS3 tonight and man beyond the aesthetic, soundtrack and general nostalgia that game is loving rough to play today. The total lack of mid-mission checkpoints is frustrating as hell when something out of your control causes the wrong car to blow up or something. Also the framerate constantly tanks to about 10-15fps just driving around without much else going on.

San Andreas has similar FPS issues but is so much smoother to play today, I guess maybe I should try the PC version with some updated controls mods and stuff.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

My favourite memory of playing Vice City is turning on the Infinite Car Mass cheat and just driving around the city in a big circle as I punted cars all over the place and into buildings like a train hitting an oversized beach ball.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Walla posted:

On the subject of combat, so many modern JRPGS - including AAA ones - still operate under the same design as the SNES Final Fantasies which is cool I guess but if I want that in a game I'll just replay one of those. Like I love turn based combat systems, but I need something different too whether that's a Fire Emblem grid kind of thing or something as simple as a deck builder otherwise I'm just completely turned off by it and don't even want to engage with the whole game. That's why the Bravely series isn't holding my interest, or Skies of Arcadia (sorry Looper!) or even Trails of Cold Steel. If the first 30 minutes or so doesn't give me something special to engage with than I'm better off watching someone's playthrough or reading a synopsis of the story than trying to force myself to play something I've come to hate.

the ship combat in skies of arcadia is pretty neat, though it's mostly used for boss fights. you get a vague forecast of the enemy's plan each round and plan all your actions in advance, and your crew asks for specific input at key points to leverage into an advantage (or disadvantage if you choose poorly). the regular combat system isn't anything special but i like how everyone shares the same pool of special move points (smrpg and the paper marios also do this and i like it there too). but lol no worries! no game is for everyone

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

continuing my quest to have a second-hand opinion on most at-least-somewhat-obscure games: was infintie undiscovery noteworthy for anything besides its name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

that image of the chained moon, visible from anywhere in the world, was pretty cool (basically all i know about the game)