Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Legend of Zelda's hookshot and boomerang :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Seconding Just Cause. JC2 is like $15 on Steam and super, super good.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

One of the things I like most about Death Stranding gameplay-wise is the Sticky Gun

https://i.imgur.com/V5CQl28.mp4

Only other PC games I can think of with this sort of thing are the Prototype games from ten years ago (:corsair: :ohno:), and that's only sort-of it. My second thought was a spidermans, but those don't actually seem to exist on PC. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Jesus I never really used it because I thought it had about a third of the range it has here

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

It's real fuckin good. And scary, when it's a 50 kilo XL container flying at your head at mach two

Splicer posted:

Legend of Zelda's hookshot and boomerang :v:
remembers botw not having a hookshot :negative:

picked up Teardown, since it was on my list anyway. Cheers :cheers:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I missed the text above the gif and thought you were asking around for more games that let you customize vehicles like...that. And then was confused as to how that connected to Prototype.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

One of the things I like most about Death Stranding gameplay-wise is the Sticky Gun

https://i.imgur.com/V5CQl28.mp4

Only other PC games I can think of with this sort of thing are the Prototype games from ten years ago (:corsair: :ohno:), and that's only sort-of it. My second thought was a spidermans, but those don't actually seem to exist on PC. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Check out Hardspace: Shipbreaker. Tethers are a major part of the gameplay. Still in early access but it is a strangely satisfying game. I imagine it's the same feeling as what people love about truck simulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN82DJGmq7o

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 1, 2021

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Samopsa posted:

Teardown has stuff like that, and of course HL2's gravity gun. HL Alyx also has grav gloves.

Kerbal Space Program, Astroneer, and some other puzzle/building games have loads of stuff going on in that space as well.

The Gravity Gloves are one of my favorite VR control interactions. Valve in many ways played it safe with Alyx, in terms of "doing cool, risky VR poo poo," but the gloves felt so drat good that I miss having them in other games.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Shipbreaker's indeed excellent - but I've played out the current content :v: Played JC2 back in the day, too.

(e) I'm not seeing any hooks or tethers or similar in Teardown yet but demolishing buildings with a hammer n shotgun is a jolly good time

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I dunno if doom eternal’s meathook on the super shotgun counts, but that is one of the most satisfying FPS moves ever

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Any games like Kingdom of Loathing and other browser rpgs that I can just buy instead of loving with daily turns? I prefer something really meaty, lots of areas, class options, etc

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Robo Reagan posted:

Any games like Kingdom of Loathing and other browser rpgs that I can just buy instead of loving with daily turns? I prefer something really meaty, lots of areas, class options, etc

I assume you’ve played West of Loathing? And Sunless Sea / Sunless Skies for the Fallen London equivalent?

Otherwise I’d love to hear any answers myself. I loved Fallen London but can’t handle its pacing.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Already played West of, yeah. I'll give those other two a shot

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ciaphas posted:

Shipbreaker's indeed excellent - but I've played out the current content :v: Played JC2 back in the day, too.

(e) I'm not seeing any hooks or tethers or similar in Teardown yet but demolishing buildings with a hammer n shotgun is a jolly good time
The Scout in Deep Rock Galactic has a grappling hook

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I'm looking for an ARPG with really satisfying combat, but I don't really want to gently caress around with builds too much. I really liked Diablo 3 because each skill you unlocked could be swapped around freely, and your stats were essentially a function of what gear you had on. I like the moment-to-moment parts of ARPGs, like collecting loot and exploding a lot of guys, but I often find myself overwhelmed and disinterested when I see huge skill trees that I have to invest points permanently or semi-permanently into. Are there other ARPGs that have the same focus as Diablo 3? I'm not even that interested in games where respeccing is easy, I just don't really want to assign skill points to things. A big part of the appeal of Diablo 3 to me is the fact that I don't really have to pay too much attention to it, as whatever gear I find will probably be outclassed in 40 minutes when I find something better.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Minecraft Dungeons maybe

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

SoR Blaze posted:

I'm looking for an ARPG with really satisfying combat, but I don't really want to gently caress around with builds too much. I really liked Diablo 3 because each skill you unlocked could be swapped around freely, and your stats were essentially a function of what gear you had on. I like the moment-to-moment parts of ARPGs, like collecting loot and exploding a lot of guys, but I often find myself overwhelmed and disinterested when I see huge skill trees that I have to invest points permanently or semi-permanently into. Are there other ARPGs that have the same focus as Diablo 3? I'm not even that interested in games where respeccing is easy, I just don't really want to assign skill points to things. A big part of the appeal of Diablo 3 to me is the fact that I don't really have to pay too much attention to it, as whatever gear I find will probably be outclassed in 40 minutes when I find something better.

I so badly wish I could recommend Marvel Heroes to you. RIP :(

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Shine posted:

I so badly wish I could recommend Marvel Heroes to you. RIP :(

I really liked that game:(

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

SoR Blaze posted:

Victor Vran maybe? It does have the build aspect, but instead of a million different small things to increase, it bundles it all up in a few big things, if that makes any sense.
You have 8 weapons, each with their own moveset and playstyle, you have 12 different demon powers, which are your special skills, and you have 8 types of armor, each determines how you gain energy to use the demon powers.
There is a number-go-up aspect and item transmutation to improve rarity, but in general the spread is less than in regular arpgs and it's more about combining the effects you want than pure numbers.

Or play Hades, which has extremely good and satisfying combat, but no loot, and it has kinda roguelite structure instead of a big map you explore.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Just go for Grim Dawn! There are only 2 permanent assignments you do in that game: your 2 main classes that make up your character (basically like picking a class in D3, but two instead of one choice) and putting points in your class level. The rest is free to respec all game long. Switching around gear and infusing it with extra stuff also keeps on going all the time. It's a fun game.

Here's some starter build guides if you want some guidance https://www.requnix.com/grim-dawn-forgotten-gods-best-starter-builds-2019

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

SoR Blaze posted:

Isn't Torchlight very light in skill trees? I think so. It's been a long time I played it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's very light in just about everything else, too.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Anything as good as Frostpunk in a similar vein but a proper roguelike instead?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Samopsa posted:

Just go for Grim Dawn! There are only 2 permanent assignments you do in that game: your 2 main classes that make up your character (basically like picking a class in D3, but two instead of one choice) and putting points in your class level. The rest is free to respec all game long. Switching around gear and infusing it with extra stuff also keeps on going all the time. It's a fun game.

Here's some starter build guides if you want some guidance https://www.requnix.com/grim-dawn-forgotten-gods-best-starter-builds-2019

It does have a fuckload of skill trees, which sounds like the opposite of what OP wants. Each class has one, so you get to manage two trees, and then there's the whole constellation thing, hoo boy.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Flayer posted:

i'm struggling to think of a single thing that Frostpunk and roguelikes have in common

You could play Dwarf Fortress, I guess?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Flayer posted:

I haven't played it myself but As Far as the Eye is some kind of city builder FTL-like, I think? Might be interesting.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Flayer posted:

W... what?

Do you mean Frostpunk with random maps and events instead of specific scenarios? I can't think of anything specifically Frostpunk like but the genre is called city builders. What's your favourite parts of frostpunk?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm struggling to think of a single thing that Frostpunk and roguelikes have in common

You could play Dwarf Fortress, I guess?
Well I'm thinking endless mode but actually challenging that gets harder and harder as time passes rather than easier. Maybe I should look deeper into Rimworld mods.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Are there any open-world games where the player's actions have a permanent impact on the map? Other than Minecraft, Death Stranding, and Red Faction Guerilla. Would Just Cause fit the bill?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Chamale posted:

Are there any open-world games where the player's actions have a permanent impact on the map? Other than Minecraft, Death Stranding, and Red Faction Guerilla. Would Just Cause fit the bill?

Just Causes are quite fun. Your impact on the map is pretty minor (destroyed target buildings stay down), but that's true for Red Faction as well (e. or did all Red Faction buildings respawn? At least the bridges do, right?)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Chamale posted:

If you are using Minecraft as an example, then maybe Terraria? More than just for the 'it is a dig and build blocks' game angle, because A notable progression point adds a second form of map corruption... and the desire of certain upgrades means you will often be tempted to SPREAD it rather than contain it

Also there are grappling hooks and wings, but those are later.

EDIT: Also creating artificial biomes is popular. like creating an surface level 'glowing mushroom cave' zone.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 3, 2021

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
No Man's Sky's updates added a ton of that stuff. Terraforming, basebuilding, you name it. Terraria is more what you're looking for I think. Just Cause is not really about altering the environment as such, but it's a fun game anyway.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Can anyone recommend a game that either entirely or mainly takes place in quiet American towns or forests. Genre and what you're actually doing in the game is somewhat irrelevant to me. Bonus points if it has really good atmosphere and good rain.

Just for some examples of the sort of game I mean, the ones that I've played that come to mind and inspired me to ask for stuff in the same vein are Night in the Woods, Kentucky Route Zero, Life is Strange, Alan Wake, Deadly Premonition, probably some others I'm blanking on. So yeah, pretty disparate tones/styles on some of those but they all have this sense of wistfulness and forgotten places that just really hits me. I really love the episodes of X-files where they're just driving out to some rainy woods in the middle of the US to investigate some weird poo poo as well.

I was going to install Kathy Rain cause I bought it last year and thought it might scratch this itch I'm having but they announced a directors cut in mid January that's apparently going to do some stuff to the ending which I remember being one of the main criticism so I decided to wait til that comes out to play it.

I think my dream game for fulfilling this affinity I have would be some sort of procedural investigation game in the vein of Return to the Obra Dinn where you're just driving out to out of the way locations and documenting/investigating what happened there and maybe one in 5 times there's actually something hosed up for you to run away from.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 3, 2021

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Chamale posted:

factorio? as in you cover the entire surface of the planet in pollution and an expanding set of factory

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

thebardyspoon posted:

Can anyone recommend a game that either entirely or mainly takes place in quiet American towns or forests. Genre and what you're actually doing in the game is somewhat irrelevant to me. Bonus points if it has really good atmosphere and good rain.

Just for some examples of the sort of game I mean, the ones that I've played that come to mind and inspired me to ask for stuff in the same vein are Night in the Woods, Kentucky Route Zero, Life is Strange, Alan Wake, Deadly Premonition, probably some others I'm blanking on. So yeah, pretty disparate tones/styles on some of those but they all have this sense of wistfulness and forgotten places that just really hits me. I really love the episodes of X-files where they're just driving out to some rainy woods in the middle of the US to investigate some weird poo poo as well.

I was going to install Kathy Rain cause I bought it last year and thought it might scratch this itch I'm having but they announced a directors cut in mid January that's apparently going to do some stuff to the ending which I remember being one of the main criticism so I decided to wait til that comes out to play it.

I think my dream game for fulfilling this affinity I have would be some sort of procedural investigation game in the vein of Return to the Obra Dinn where you're just driving out to out of the way locations and documenting/investigating what happened there and maybe one in 5 times there's actually something hosed up for you to run away from.

You may enjoy the game Virginia, which is a first-person mystery adventure game where you are a rookie FBI agent investigating a disappearance in rural Virginia which then gets weird, sort of in the vein of Twin Peaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUwusiP3_3A

I have not played it myself, but have watched bits of it, and it seems good.

Firewatch is another game that ticks some of the boxes you are looking for, although it takes place completely in the forest, as you are a volunteer wildfire lookout in Wyoming. Strange things happen as you do your job, but not necessarily to the level of X-Files strange. Where it might miss your criteria is that it doesn't have a very investigative feel, because it's not like you are tracking down leads and talking to people to solve a big mystery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdUYYnfRdl8

What Remains of Edith Finch also meets some of your criteria. In this game, you play as a woman exploring an old abandoned house on an island belonging to her relatives, who have all passed away. This one is sort of a reverse mystery, in that you already sort of know what happened, and you explore the house to see how it happened through self-contained vignettes of the relatives' pasts. In this game, the player is even more isolated than in Firewatch, so if character interaction is what you desire, this won't really meet that need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0kKF5f8nS0

I should mention that these games are all very story based, and so there's not a ton of player agency in influencing how the games progress. They are definitely more the type of game where you are along for the ride while the game tells its story.

Goon Boots fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 3, 2021

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

thebardyspoon posted:

Can anyone recommend a game that either entirely or mainly takes place in quiet American towns or forests.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter maybe?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
All those games would be fantastic recommendations but they are the ones I was blanking on so I have played them already. Cheers though, they would definitely have been ideal cause yeah, bang on for what I asked for.

The investigation stuff isn't something I actually expect to be in a game, more an idle wish that I hope somehow brings this hypothetical ideal game into existence.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

thebardyspoon posted:

Not exactly what you requested, but Disco Elysium has exactly that wistful tone and atmosphere you are talking about in all aspects (writing/art/music), and Revachol (the game city) feels old, forgotten and mysterious. Just it's not the US but a completely original setting that's hard to describe. Easily one of my favorite games ever. Also it's an investigation story.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV2lp6p_gXw

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 3, 2021

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

All those games would be fantastic recommendations but they are the ones I was blanking on so I have played them already. Cheers though, they would definitely have been ideal cause yeah, bang on for what I asked for.

The investigation stuff isn't something I actually expect to be in a game, more an idle wish that I hope somehow brings this hypothetical ideal game into existence.

I remember Resistance 2's opening levels being set in big (but hardly quiet) American forests, but I didn't get very far in it. And you'd need a PS3.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

So it's not procedural, and it's an european industrial town instead, but otherwise this is INFRA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

thebardyspoon posted:

Another one I can think of is Thimbleweed Park. It's a point-n-click where you can play some FBI agents investigating stuff in small town America. Not only can you play these agents, but there are 3 other characters that you can control in the town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TFqvSPafRg

I haven't played this one, nor have I seen much of it, so I can't speak to its quality, but the trailer seems to give a good idea of what you would be in for. It appears to be centered around comedy a bit more, so it may not hit that wistful feeling you are looking for.

It's funny. It feels like there should be more of the types of games you described, but maybe it's harder than it looks to capture the feeling of the dying American Dream in these forgotten towns.

Edit: Some more I thought of.

Oxenfree, you play some teenagers exploring a spooky, wooded island. I have not played this, but I understand it is highly regarded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAhrOoNR4ng

The Blackout Club. Definitely not what you are looking for, but interesting to think about. It is a first-person Co-op game where you play kids with different abilities trying to uncover secret cult stuff going on in their town. Features an invisible monster that chases you but you can only see it if you close the character's eyes and stay still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsNaptarJvU

Goon Boots fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 3, 2021