Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I mean, don't take Bogle's word as gospel in every respect. You can definitely invest in US stocks while avoiding international exposure, maybe inadvertently. But, yeah, you'll get a shitload of international exposure from big companies. KO, for example, does like 30% of its business domestically IIRC.

However, that's not the full story. Domestic stocks have unique advantages/disadvantages that differ from foreign stocks. Corporate tax rates are a big deal, for one. There are reasons to invest in foreign stocks that aren't participation in foreign markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Small White Dragon posted:

Very nice. How long has this taken you, and has it been at a fairly consistent annual investment amount?

Part of it is working in tech (:thermidor: IMO), part of it is being a cheap fucker and living in a dumpy apartment in the slums, part of it is not having kids or debts, and a large part of it is winning the lottery by cashing out company stock.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hi thread. You guys helped me out huge in maybe 2014 with investing. I know nothing about investing and you told me to get a Vanguard account, get VASGX and VTSAX. Well, it turned $18,000 into $38,000 by me sitting here doing nothing. Thank you for that. I haven't been paying attention to it at all lately.

My simple question. Is it a good idea to finally start throwing money into it again or is there any timing I should worry about? I've heard we have quite the bubble going on right now and so there might be a crash sooner or later. Should I wait until something bad happens or just go ahead and add the $2,000 I have to work with to it?

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Hi thread. You guys helped me out huge in maybe 2014 with investing. I know nothing about investing and you told me to get a Vanguard account, get VASGX and VTSAX. Well, it turned $18,000 into $38,000 by me sitting here doing nothing. Thank you for that. I haven't been paying attention to it at all lately.

My simple question. Is it a good idea to finally start throwing money into it again or is there any timing I should worry about? I've heard we have quite the bubble going on right now and so there might be a crash sooner or later. Should I wait until something bad happens or just go ahead and add the $2,000 I have to work with to it?

Assuming this is for retirement, the mantra is don't time the market. Invest it now and don't touch it for 20+ years. If this is money you want in the next 5-10 years, put it into a savings account or something. We can't know if/when a correction will occur, but based on past history investing asap in the market beats out trying to time it perfectly without future knowledge.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
People were already saying we were in a bubble in 2014:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/is-the-stock-market-bubble-of-2014-ready-to-burst-2014-09-25
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/feb/24/recovery-bubble-crash-uk-us-investors
https://money.cnn.com/2014/08/19/investing/market-bubble-warnings/

If you had waited, you would've missed out. One day, these people will be right, but it's hard to know when.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
there is definitely going to be a correction because there's always a correction, but you will pretty much never be able to predict when that correction comes

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

McGrady posted:

Assuming this is for retirement, the mantra is don't time the market. Invest it now and don't touch it for 20+ years. If this is money you want in the next 5-10 years, put it into a savings account or something. We can't know if/when a correction will occur, but based on past history investing asap in the market beats out trying to time it perfectly without future knowledge.

Yeah I don't work so I don't technically have a retirement date. I just plan on keeping it until.... well I have zero plans of ever taking it out so I guess whenever I feel like it. Yeah, probably 20-30 years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there is definitely going to be a correction because there's always a correction, but you will pretty much never be able to predict when that correction comes

Yeah that's true. I'll probably throw some money at it today.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Vanguard won't let me buy stocks, only sell. No matter what I try to buy, meme stock or entirely unrelated stuff, it says "This order can't be accepted because it would exceed your current available balance." I have added funds and I'm still getting the same result. Another friend of mine is getting the same error, despite him being a long-term Vanguard customer who already has settled funds available. I don't know of any correlation between us other than that we've both recently purchased small amounts of meme stocks. It has persisted for us both all day

It sold my AMC just fine, though.

I'm not seeing anything anywhere else about other people being locked out by this glitch, so I can't tell if it's a Robinhood type thing or something else. Can anyone provide some insight into what's happening here?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 1, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just dropped $1,000 in but it was an index fund.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Unsinkabear posted:

Vanguard won't let me buy stock, only sell. No matter what I try to buy, meme stock or entirely unrelated stuff, it says "This order can't be accepted because it would exceed your current available balance." I have added funds and I'm still getting the same result. Another friend of mine is getting the same error, despite him being a long-term Vanguard customer who already has settled funds available. I don't know of any correlation between us other than that we've both recently purchased small amounts of meme stocks. It has persisted for us both all day

It sold my AMC just fine, though.

I'm not seeing anything anywhere else about other people being locked out by this glitch, so I can't tell if it's a Robinhood type thing or something else. Can anyone provide some insight into what's happening here?

you need the money in your money market fund. How much do you have in there? It usually takes a few days for the money to become available for trading in my experience.

For the money you just added does it say "this account has unavailable shares"? You can't use those funds yet.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 1, 2021

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Vanguard lets me buy with unsettled transfers. They even let me initiate a buy without any pending funds, and I just transfer the funds in within 2 days of execution and it's gravy. And no it's not a margin account.

I just executed a huge trade with unsettled cash last week.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Guinness posted:

Vanguard lets me buy with unsettled transfers. They even let me initiate a buy without any pending funds, and I just transfer the funds in within 2 days of execution and it's gravy. And no it's not a margin account.

I just executed a huge trade with unsettled cash last week.

Well... it is a mystery then. OP should just call vanguard.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

moana posted:

US has had a good run. At some point it won't. If we do a Japan and you're all domestic you're totally hosed. The fact that it's done better recently is actually a decent reason not to invest entirely in US- it's over valued due to the recent high growth. I think the Vanguard white paper predicted the next 10 years of intl coming out ahead by a few percentage points.

I based my decision to have 50% of my future 401 contributions going into Vanguard's Developed/Emerging Markets Index strictly over the way COVID was handled by China compared to US

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Hell yeah, 2014 VASGX buyer! It turned my $6,500 into $11,227 in my roth, then I meddled around and converted it into an identical mix of FSKAX / FTIHX / FUAMX for the lower expense ratios (though bond indexes swap roles over time between taxable-friendly and untaxed-friendly).

If you test an array of time ranges for getting into the market, you get the following best-to-worst case scenarios:

A) At the best possible time
B) Chucking everything in at the moment
C) Dollar Cost Averaging throughout the year
D) Chucking everything in at the worst possible moment

Note that, even if you accidentally wind up doing D, you will be primed for the bounce and more than likely come out ahead. Meanwhile, C will more than likely dilute your gains simply because of lost time.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Meet Bob, the world's unluckiest investor...

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I like this. Thank you.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

I like this. Thank you.

Just make sure, that whenever the next market downturn comes about, you hold on to your stonks with the diamond hands of a WSB'er long GME, and with the conviction of a bitcoin true-believer waiting for the end of fiat.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nofeed posted:

Just make sure, that whenever the next market downturn comes about, you hold on to your stonks with the diamond hands of a WSB'er long GME, and with the conviction of a bitcoin true-believer waiting for the end of fiat.

I was getting nervous last year when covid hit and everything went to poo poo and the stock market tanked. But I realized I had no idea what I was doing and decided to ride it out. I'm really glad I did.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I was getting nervous last year when covid hit and everything went to poo poo and the stock market tanked. But I realized I had no idea what I was doing and decided to ride it out. I'm really glad I did.

There were conversations, I believe in this very thread, where people were still going down the path of timing the market and being all smug about "surely this time is different because global pandemic and AhhhHAAAA! See I was RIGHT!" early on before we moved right back into records highs.

I'd like to think some people finally learned their lesson there, but I kinda doubt it.

Meanwhile.....I've done nothing. And, as usual, it's turned out great for my portfolio.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Market Timing is strictly for entertainment purposes.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So hey, I have a Vanguard question. I made an account next week, mainly for a Roth IRA. So by now I've done the thing where they've sent two deposits into my account, and now the bank is authorized. I think now I'm waiting for further access, which will happen in some business days. Now right now I have some money in "credits and debits". That should be going into the money market fund, but it seems like I have no way to move it around. Is that normal? Do I just have to wait until I have more access and/or once I have more access I'll be able to move the money around myself?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So hey, I have a Vanguard question. I made an account next week, mainly for a Roth IRA. So by now I've done the thing where they've sent two deposits into my account, and now the bank is authorized. I think now I'm waiting for further access, which will happen in some business days. Now right now I have some money in "credits and debits". That should be going into the money market fund, but it seems like I have no way to move it around. Is that normal? Do I just have to wait until I have more access and/or once I have more access I'll be able to move the money around myself?

Transactions take time to settle into the money market fund. Give it a couple days after you make any transfer or sale. You'll see this same thing happen with stocks and ETFs, etc.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
I actually just switched to dollar cost averaging in my IRA to get money in there sooner. In the past I've been doing lump sum for previous tax year

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Just wait till you start maxing it in January!

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Hi BFC,

Looking at opening my first Roth IRA (long overdue) and my rookie question is are there better or worse places to open one with, or are they all generally fairly the same? My 403b is with TIAA-CREF, so I figure I might as well use them unless there are large differences between all these big names I see on the hats of my favorite golfers.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Nofeed posted:

hold on to your stonks and buy more, you mean

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Hi BFC,

Looking at opening my first Roth IRA (long overdue) and my rookie question is are there better or worse places to open one with, or are they all generally fairly the same? My 403b is with TIAA-CREF, so I figure I might as well use them unless there are large differences between all these big names I see on the hats of my favorite golfers.

Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab all should be fine.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Hi BFC,

Goone Wisdome is to check out Vanguard's offerings. Going with them is rarely a bad idea, although the entire company shares a single Apple 2 computer that they bought at a garage sale.

But generally there aren't really bad options but you'll probably be happier if you didn't go with Robinhood, TD Ameritrade, e*trade, maybe fidelity since they are definitely geared more towards trading rather than retirement investing. Good brokerages I have liked are Schwab and Vanguard.

I prefer Schwab for both trading and retirement investing. I'm mostly self-directed in my IRAs but I wouldn't recommend that for most people without reading a bunch of loving books and maybe losing a bunch of money first to humble you.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

crimedog posted:

I actually just switched to dollar cost averaging in my IRA to get money in there sooner. In the past I've been doing lump sum for previous tax year

I just looked up dollar cost averaging and it seems like a fancy way of saying regular contributions.

I think I'm going to be doing that in the future if I can get myself to save more money.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just looked up dollar cost averaging and it seems like a fancy way of saying regular contributions.

I think I'm going to be doing that in the future if I can get myself to save more money.

Regular contributions are supposed to be invested as you earn money. DCA is sitting on a pile of cash waiting to invest it. No there really isn't a difference.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Usually it refers to the idea that if you have X dollars to invest right now then it may be better to invest that in a few pieces, spread out in time so you reduce the chances of buying in right before a dip in the market. In that scenario you are almost always better off investing the X dollars immediately and taking advantage of the longer time in the market even if it did coincide with a dip.

Regular scheduled contributions to a retirement account aren’t really dollar cost averaging because presumably you are putting that money in as it becomes available to you.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

jokes posted:

Goone Wisdome is to check out Vanguard's offerings. Going with them is rarely a bad idea, although the entire company shares a single Apple 2 computer that they bought at a garage sale.

But generally there aren't really bad options but you'll probably be happier if you didn't go with Robinhood, TD Ameritrade, e*trade, maybe fidelity since they are definitely geared more towards trading rather than retirement investing. Good brokerages I have liked are Schwab and Vanguard.

FWIW, all my retirement accounts are with Fidelity and I’ve been consistently impressed with both their technology and their customer service.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

raminasi posted:

FWIW, all my retirement accounts are with Fidelity and I’ve been consistently impressed with both their technology and their customer service.

Schwab has the best customer service I've ever hosed with, so if Fidelity has good customer service that goes a LONG way with retirement accounts. Truthfully I haven't had much experience with Fidelity, so.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Vanguard is customer-owned if that matters to you.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

jokes posted:

Regular contributions are supposed to be invested as you earn money. DCA is sitting on a pile of cash waiting to invest it. No there really isn't a difference.

withak posted:

Usually it refers to the idea that if you have X dollars to invest right now then it may be better to invest that in a few pieces, spread out in time so you reduce the chances of buying in right before a dip in the market. In that scenario you are almost always better off investing the X dollars immediately and taking advantage of the longer time in the market even if it did coincide with a dip.

Regular scheduled contributions to a retirement account aren’t really dollar cost averaging because presumably you are putting that money in as it becomes available to you.

Ah ok. That makes sense.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Schwab is on my shitlist forever for charging me ~5% of my total assets in transaction fees to withdraw some stock grants that I had been given. This was not them preemptively paying taxes, this was a straight money grab when I tried to cash out.

Fidelity is also on my shitlist for demanding medallion signature guarantee (being a serious PITA and having to notarize/certified mail some paperwork) to roll over an absolutely trivial amount of money from a 401k into a vanguard IRA.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 2, 2021

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Ugh, I'm also in a position where I've been holding out on dumping my non-emergency savings into an index fund due to an assumption that there'd be some reaction on the market to Covid taking a wrecking ball to things, but the meager 0.6% interest I'm getting with my savings account is making me increasingly tempted to finally jump in.

Just need somewhere everything can sit more profitable while awaiting a very hypothetical home purchase in 5-10 years.

Also need to get around to consolidating different accounts into Vanguard, but apparently a transfer apparently required me to print poo poo out, sign it, and mail it to them like it's the 20th Century...

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 2, 2021

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

Ugh, I'm also in a position where I've been holding out on dumping my non-emergency savings into an index fund due to an assumption that there'd be some reaction on the market to Covid taking a wrecking ball to things, but the meager 0.6% interest I'm getting with my savings account is making me increasingly tempted to finally jump in.

Same boat and I really didn't setup a plan to even take advantage of the March 2020 dip. So now I have around 12k just sitting in 0.5% HYSA not doing much.

Play around with this site to see what you missed out on and let's learn from our mistakes. This is my example:
http://stockchoker.com/?s=VTSAX&d=20190701&a=10000
"If you'd invested 10,000 in Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral (VTSAX) on July 1, 2019, today the investment would be worth:
Annual rate of return: 19.01
Total increase: 31.93
Total profit: 3,192.65"

"If you'd invested 10,000 in Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral (VTSAX) on March 20, 2020, today the investment would be worth:
Total increase: 71.48
Total profit: 7,148.43"

3/18/2020

zaurg posted:

...aren’t we supposed to be excited about getting our money in now while the price is cheap(er)?
I’m putting extra in.

3/20/2020

zaurg posted:

This too is my first crash.
I started investing for real in February 2020. Should've warned you guys.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Why the gently caress are you here posting financial advise ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Why the gently caress are you here posting financial advise ?

I don't get it, is he not allowed to learn from his mistakes?