Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Magath can still absolutely gently caress himself. And the fat one too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Magath also mentioned that one of Marley's problems is that it's at war all the time, but the country's native population isn't effected by it, so they have no reason to stop. (It's why he has the draft on his list of policy suggestions). Vanquished enemies in the army fit pretty well with that model.

I completely forgot about that. Of *course* Zeke would be able to recruit tons of folks within the army then.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Alan_Shore posted:

Given that the fat one went up to a bunch of injured traumatized vets and made explosion sounds yeah he can.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's the other way around: Marley fights primarily with conscripted non-Marleyans. Magath, however, has been pushing to instate a Marleyan draft so that the country will lose its taste for war by having its own citizens fight them.

OH, I misunderstood/misremembered.

[edit] Ahh yeah, it was back in episode 4. All I remembered was Willy mentioning that Magath wanted to reinstate Marleyan conscription; I took that to mean drafting from their conquered territories and Eldian population since they're under Marley rule. I had just assumed Eldians were volunteers I guess (dunno why now that I think about it lol), and only foreign armies (not civilians) who were folded into Marley's military force fought for them. I forgot about Magath's whole bit about wanting to let Marleyans experience the wars they fight themselves so as to maybe have the nation be like "yeah, gently caress this whole going to war for colonial expansion thing" lmao. That makes sense.

Alan_Shore posted:

Absolutely. They're both huge pieces of poo poo.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 2, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

teagone posted:

Absolutely. They're both huge pieces of poo poo.

True, but Magath at least acknowledges it.

He's a high ranking member of a racist, fascist dictatorship who realizes that racist, fascist dictatorships are bad, so he's trying to reform it, and he treats Eldians under his command as people. He's a piece of poo poo, but arguably less of a piece of poo poo than, say, Zackly. It's just he's on the wrong side in addition to his personal faults.

Meanwhile, the fat guy was just purestrain piece of poo poo.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's kind of a trope in peaceful societies that if only people saw the horrors of war they would not repeat it. When in fact, people who have been traumatized in war constantly seek to recapitulate it and disburse it onto others. The Friekorp, Hitler, the Nazis, were WW1 veterans who wanted to relitigate a new war. WW2 veterans were the ones who were constantly escalating during the cold war and intervening in post-colonial conflicts. Vietnam vets pushed for the Iraq/Afghanistan war. And now, the people who massacred civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan constantly appear on TV and write best selling books.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Maera Sior posted:

We've been watching a friend go through this for the first time and their reactions are so much fun. Every so often there are some great gems like the joking "this takes place on the moon Titan and that's why they're so big" theory and the serious (and very reasonable) "titans are caused by a disease, the Beast Titan is spreading it, Grisha used his cover as a doctor to do tests, and Abnormals are failed cures" theory. I love that last one for being reasonable through a good part of season 2.

I just caught up to the show from episode one probably 2-3 weeks ago?

My theories along the way that ended up being a bit off

- when it is revealed that Annie and Ymir were titans; “ok literally everyone is a Titan right they just don’t know it yet” (sortttt of true)

- when it is revealed titans eat each other to pass on; “is it possible when Eren was eaten early on we aren’t actually seeing Eren anymore but a Titan that took his form”

- Titans are plants and that’s why they don’t need to eat and only need sunlight and nature is mad at humanity

- something about Ackerman sounding close to Akuma (they say akuma a lot)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Akuma is 'Devil' which 100% fits Levi.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

He's a high ranking member of a racist, fascist dictatorship who realizes that racist, fascist dictatorships are bad, so he's trying to reform it, and he treats Eldians under his command as people. He's a piece of poo poo, but arguably less of a piece of poo poo than, say, Zackly. It's just he's on the wrong side in addition to his personal faults.

Zackly is weird. He's a reasonable, competent leader, who has greatly helped Paradis and has agreed with many of it's positive reforms like Free Press. He is also grossly sadistic and vindictive towards the former nobles of the island, but not in a way that affects his judgement. He seems to be someone capable of keeping his personal and professional lives near perfectly separate.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm sure the New Eldian Empire is in no way fascist.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm sure the New Eldian Empire is in no way fascist.

Well they are not an Empire despite what Floch said.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Just caught up with the season. After the merely "pretty good" Season 4 and the mediocre Season 3, this final season is a welcome surprise and brings the show back to season 1 and 2 quality.

Why does everyone seem to hate Gabi so much?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I like Gabi, and hope she eventually realizes how lovely Marley and the whole Warrior unit thing is.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I happen to like her, but I think it's because she's got a big ego and because she killed a fan favorite.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pththya-lyi posted:

I happen to like her, but I think it's because she's got a big ego and because she killed a fan favorite.

Yeah we can never forget Lobov!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I mean, Gabi and the rest of the Warriors are fascist collaborators, which isn't exactly the most sympathetic thing in the world. They are also child soldiers (or at least started as child soldiers) which complicates things but it's still pretty hosed up what they do for Marley.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So what's Eren's plan anyway? To help the country fighting Marley win and liberate his people?

teagone posted:

I like Gabi, and hope she eventually realizes how lovely Marley and the whole Warrior unit thing is.

Yeah I like Gabi too.

I think the Marley young crew is a lot better than the young Eren, Armin, and Mikasa.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah we can never forget Lobov!

I literally don't know who any of these returning people are. But I did know her. And she was my favorite in the series and she...she....:cry:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Also, you can't really blame Gabi for the way she is or what she believes/does imo, because like all Eldians, she's a victim of circumstance and has been coerced/manipulated into believing some messed up things. It's hosed up but also, yeah, she's just a child; probably like what, maybe 10 or 11 years old? And with no proper sense of morality? You have to at least feel sorry for her being so radicalized. Blame Marley's hosed up worldview and systemic racism for basically brainwashing her into accepting all the Warrior Unit propaganda bullshit about becoming an honorary Marleyan and how she has to change world perception about her people by killing the "bad" Eldians.

[edit] Speaking of which, was there ever a reason explained why Marley trains literal children to pass down the titans to that I might have missed? [edit 2] I guess it could be the whole 13 year expiration date thing, right? Or was there something else?

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 3, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

teagone posted:

yeah, she's just a child; probably like what, maybe 10 or 11 years old?

14 as it was said she would die at 27 if she got the Armour.

teagone posted:

[edit] Speaking of which, was there ever a reason explained why Marley trains literal children to pass down the titans to that I might have missed? [edit 2] I guess it could be the whole 13 year expiration date thing, right? Or was there something else?

Children are easier to mold and control. An Adult is generally already developed, and would have been doing thing before Warrior training, and if they are secretly disloyal they could run off with one of Marely's greatest weapons.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 3, 2021

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

teagone posted:

Also, you can't really blame Gabi for the way she is or what she believes/does imo, because like all Eldians, she's a victim of circumstance and has been coerced/manipulated into believing some messed up things. It's hosed up but also, yeah, she's just a child; probably like what, maybe 10 or 11 years old? And with no proper sense of morality? You have to at least feel sorry for her being so radicalized. Blame Marley's hosed up worldview and systemic racism for basically brainwashing her into accepting all the Warrior Unit propaganda bullshit about becoming an honorary Marleyan and how she has to change world perception about her people by killing the "bad" Eldians.

She and Falco are 12.

As for training them since childhood, they're meant to be elite soldiers wielding Marley's greatest weapons, so the brass presumably saw fit to identify and nurture their talents from a young age, instill loyalty (indoctrinate), and being young allows them to remain in their prime for the duration of their 13-year tenure as Warriors.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

14 as it was said she would die at 27 if she got the Armour.

Ahh. Still, she had to endure years of training/manipulation at a young age I'm sure.

quote:

Children are easier to mold and control. An Adult is generally already developed, and would have been doing thing before Warrior training, and if they are secretly disloyal they could run off with one of Marely's greatest weapons.

Makes sense. Love Zeke being all like "gently caress Marley" at the end of his tenure though, lol—IF that's his endgame :ohdear:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

How old are Eren and Reiner now?

teagone posted:

Ahh. Still, she had to endure years of training/manipulation at a young age I'm sure.
She's actually 12.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

12 or 14, still a literal child who has been trained/manipulated to be a weapon and that's sad.

[edit] I think I remember it was mentioned Eren was 15 in season 2 or 3. So would be 19 now in season 4.

teagone fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 3, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

punk rebel ecks posted:

Just caught up with the season. After the merely "pretty good" Season 4 and the mediocre Season 3, this final season is a welcome surprise and brings the show back to season 1 and 2 quality.

Why does everyone seem to hate Gabi so much?

Gabi might be my favorite character. There's a very obvious reason some hate her and imo signifies someone of the "wow cool robot" type of viewer/reader

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

punk rebel ecks posted:

How old are Eren and Reiner now?

19 and 21, respectively.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

19 and 21, respectively.

They look like they're in their thirties.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

War does some poo poo.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Gabi basically reflects everything deranged about Eren, except she was introduced second. Also she has always been really good at what she does.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

I literally don't know who any of these returning people are. But I did know her. And she was my favorite in the series and she...she....:cry:

Lobov was the chubby dude Gabi killed first btw. Unless that's :thejoke: then nm I'm dumb lmao.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Gabi might be my favorite character. There's a very obvious reason some hate her and imo signifies someone of the "wow cool robot" type of viewer/reader

People who hate Gabi and try to frame her as awful for literally being indoctrinated and turned into a child soldier baffles me.

She is literally Eren 2.0, except Eren had a really good life before Reiner and co came knocking on his door. Gabi and her family have suffered horrendously their entire lives and had no choice on how their future would look like.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gabi is also way more charming than Eren. The scene on the train back to Liberio where Colt's drunk rear end hoisted her up on his shoulders and she was cheering for herself with all the other Eldian soldiers was hilarious.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Asuron posted:

People who hate Gabi and try to frame her as awful for literally being indoctrinated and turned into a child soldier baffles me.

She is literally Eren 2.0, except Eren had a really good life before Reiner and co came knocking on his door. Gabi and her family have suffered horrendously their entire lives and had no choice on how their future would look like.
My post made reference to this meme:

Specifically the type of people who only have a surface reading of a type of media and don't look any further into what that particular media is trying to say. People who hate Gabi likely only hate her for what she did this episode and don't consider anything past that one action.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Gabi killed two soldiers who were involved in an attack on her home. I don't think there's really any grounds to criticise her actions.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

My post made reference to this meme:

Specifically the type of people who only have a surface reading of a type of media and don't look any further into what that particular media is trying to say. People who hate Gabi likely only hate her for what she did this episode and don't consider anything past that one action.
It's actually really interesting that the commenters can only see Paradis' attack as something righteous and anyone who resists it as evil. I think it's partly because US pop culture is so universally pro-war.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is season 4, there was season 3 parts 1 and 2. Yeah, season 3 is pretty unwieldy but we didn't make the naming decision.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

It's actually really interesting that the commenters can only see Paradis' attack as something righteous and anyone who resists it as evil. I think it's partly because US pop culture is so universally pro-war.

Being on the side of the protagonists of a story is entirely normal. If people started to dislike them and cheer on their opponents, either they stopped being protagonists or the author hosed up.

In this case, we watched Paradisians getting slaughtered en masse and being in the brink of total extinction, bouncing back and regaining what they lost. We're emotionally invested. Humanizing the antagonists is not enough at this point, especially if they only appeared relatively recently.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gantolandon posted:

Being on the side of the protagonists of a story is entirely normal. If people started to dislike them and cheer on their opponents, either they stopped being protagonists or the author hosed up.

In this case, we watched Paradisians getting slaughtered en masse and being in the brink of total extinction, bouncing back and regaining what they lost. We're emotionally invested. Humanizing the antagonists is not enough at this point, especially if they only appeared relatively recently.

Hence why Isayama went beyond that here. He didn't humanize the antagonists, he put them as protagonists. Gabi and Falco were the protagonists of the show for nearly all of Season 4 so far (I'd say that only in these last two or so episodes the spotlight moved to Eren - and even there a significant time is dedicated to those two), we got to see what made them tick. Who they loved, what they were hurt by, what they wanted to protect. It was a bit fast-forward, but no different than what we got from Eren and the rest. And when Eren finally took the spotlight back, it wasn't as the good guy, it was as a mass-murderer who cared nothing about innocents getting killed in his slaughter. And, as this episode proved, about what his own friends thought about his actions.

Are they part of an evil, fascist regime? Absolutely. But we've been shown that said fascist regime has good people that are just as victimized by it as the protagonists of the show, and for the same reasons even. Because they're Eldians. Brainwashed, used as weapons of war, and left to die if need be. With their greatest dream being something that will kill them before they reach even the halfway point of their life, all for the sake of being seen as "equal" to the very people who use them and look down on them.

It's excellent writing, and even Gabi killing Sasha doesn't make her any less sympathetic to me. She's no less of a victim than everyone else here, and I do hope that being with Zeke and the "island demons" she so hated will help her realize that the situation is significantly less black and white than she was taught about.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, no one should ever condone what Eren did as righteous in any way, but you also shouldn't deny that the Marley regime spearheading worldwide racial oppression and its monopolization of titan power should be left unchecked either. It's such a dark reflection of how lovely the world is really, where balance is forcibly maintained through violence.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hence why Isayama went beyond that here. He didn't humanize the antagonists, he put them as protagonists. Gabi and Falco were the protagonists of the show for nearly all of Season 4 so far (I'd say that only in these last two or so episodes the spotlight moved to Eren - and even there a significant time is dedicated to those two), we got to see what made them tick. Who they loved, what they were hurt by, what they wanted to protect. It was a bit fast-forward, but no different than what we got from Eren and the rest. And when Eren finally took the spotlight back, it wasn't as the good guy, it was as a mass-murderer who cared nothing about innocents getting killed in his slaughter. And, as this episode proved, about what his own friends thought about his actions.

Are they part of an evil, fascist regime? Absolutely. But we've been shown that said fascist regime has good people that are just as victimized by it as the protagonists of the show, and for the same reasons even. Because they're Eldians. Brainwashed, used as weapons of war, and left to die if need be. With their greatest dream being something that will kill them before they reach even the halfway point of their life, all for the sake of being seen as "equal" to the very people who use them and look down on them.

It's excellent writing, and even Gabi killing Sasha doesn't make her any less sympathetic to me. She's no less of a victim than everyone else here, and I do hope that being with Zeke and the "island demons" she so hated will help her realize that the situation is significantly less black and white than she was taught about.

I think one thing that makes Gabi less sympathetic (although I'm not saying it was a bad decision) is, ironically, Falco. His sky high levels of empathy make it harder to properly frame Gabi, so her hatred feels a little less "Yeah, that scans with the environment" and a little more "What's her problem?"

(Gabi's great, to be clear. Just noting narrative impacts from various decisions.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That's true, although Falco does have the benefit of the Reiner/Eren conversation and possibly some latent Paradis memories to give him more perspective.