Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

shame on an IGA posted:

I can't stop staring at the calves, does Biden always wear clamdiggers or has he consciously ordered his tailors to make the most strongly-contrasting with Trump suit possible?

Has 4 years of president centaur broken my fashion sense?

Hell if I know. But I guarangoddamntee that he talked with those Senators about literally everything, for two loving hours, with a lot of talk about Jack and Malarkey.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1356394709082664960

And the result is looking positive. Seems likely he told them all to get hosed, in a very nice and cordial way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I feel there's a good chance that Biden has now spent more time negotiating directly with Senate Republicans than Trump did.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I feel there's a good chance that Biden has now spent more time negotiating directly with Senate Republicans than Trump did.

Depends on whether you count 'holding senators hostage in front of cameras while he complains about his latest Twitter beef' as negotiating.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Depends on whether you count 'holding senators hostage in front of cameras while he complains about his latest Twitter beef' as negotiating.

Do you mean literally hostage like the 6th, or societal convention hostage, as in not making a scene at a restaurant? Could go either way with 45.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/Z_Everson/status/1355310619222810624?s=20

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's ted cruz so I assume the title was how to serve americans

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
There was just a bit of commentary today that campaign/candidate books are just a fancy way to launder PAC/campaign money into spend-on-anything money. Never thought about it that way and it absolutely fits, regardless of party - buy your own books as "gifts" for "constituents" and it's pretty cleanly laundered.

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
The most shocking part of that Ted Cruz book tweet is that books-a-million is still a thing

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

crazyivan45 posted:

The most shocking part of that Ted Cruz book tweet is that books-a-million is still a thing

They crept slightly upmarket to fill the niche left by Waldenbooks and B. Dalton.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's ted cruz so I assume the title was how to serve americans
IT'S A COOKBOOK! :kingsley:

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

I got curious about what the numbers were for the first-round stimulus payments (the "$1200").

The gov sent out 153 million checks.
The payments totaled $269 billion ($281 million eventually).
This was an average first-round stimulus check of $1,750.

The payment schedule was $1,200 per person, or $2,400 for those filing jointly, plus $500 per qualifying child.
Payments phased-out until a maximum income level (from the 2018 AGI?):
$99,000 for single taxpayers
$136,500 for taxpayers filing as head of household
$198,000 for married couples filing jointly

There are around 123 million households in the US.

The total expected cost for the second round ("$600") is expected to be $166 billion, or about 59% of the first round

https://www.pgpf.org/blog/2021/01/what-to-know-about-the-second-coronavirus-stimulus-checks

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Lake of Methane posted:

The total expected cost for the second round ("$600") is expected to be $166 billion, or about 59% of the first round

Seems real weird, because wasn't the second round means tested to like 75k while the first round was means tested to about 125k?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s pathetic, but they all do this.

Sometimes there are photos of pallets of books in conference rooms looking like the money pile from Breaking Bad.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Midjack posted:

They crept slightly upmarket to fill the niche left by Waldenbooks and B. Dalton.

When i was in nashville there was like one B&N all the way in knoxville and then like 4 BAMs within 20 miles. It made me really miss Borders

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I like BAM as far as chains go. I have a lot of fond memories of the place that probably bias my perception

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

lol https://twitter.com/Z_Everson/status/1355581745442263045

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Biden doesn't go far enough on immigration reform, but don't forget the stuff he is up against. The Texas Attorney General has already submitted a lawsuit against Biden's 100-day deportation pause memo, and a federal judge appointed by Trump has already put in a 14-day nationwide temporary restraining order against Biden's memo. It only took the nativists 6-days to put legal barriers in front of Biden's deportation pause.

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/sites/default/files/images/admin/2021/Press/TEXAS%20ORDER_.pdf

All those damned Federalist society rubber-stamps appointed by Trump will be a plague upon US immigration policy for years to come.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Oh I see.

Yeah, the reason for buying books is usually to pump them up the bestsellers list, not directly enrich the author.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
This might be the last of these Biden-Republican meeting posts, because I'm still seeing absolutely nothing but good news.

https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1356417243840712705

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1356420503079182337

"I was in the Senate Jack, don't piss on my leg and tell me it's malarkey"

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/tomangell/status/1356339098609397764?s=19

This would be great progress but will wait to see

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

I mean honestly if they'd done it years ago they'd be insanely rich from the taxes alone

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stravag posted:

When i was in nashville there was like one B&N all the way in knoxville and then like 4 BAMs within 20 miles. It made me really miss Borders

Borders really was the best.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I once saw a physical Amazon used book store in a mall, and my head just about imploded.

I miss Border's, too.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Midjack posted:

Borders really was the best.

While this is a complete non sequitur, your post brought it to mind. Border is the first and best episode of Jon Benjamin Has a Van mostly for Cash Stall.

https://www.cc.com/video/ioo8ya/jon-benjamin-has-a-van-cash-stall

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
There used to be a Borders and a movie theater right next to each other within a short walking distance of my house back in high school, it was great.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I was just telling my girlfriend that Borders was my favorite as a kid because the children's section had that rocketship pattern carpet.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
It would probably be called too political or problematic to name a store “Borders” anymore.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

This should be an early/mid 2022 bill, not Feb 2021.

Edit: VVV I wonder if a person like that spends this time worrying that they'll ID her, dreading the FBI showing up on the doorstep, or just not giving a poo poo. Or some other option I can't fathom.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 2, 2021

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
So the FBI has been extremely interested in Bullhorn Lady, as she very clearly was ordering people around at the Insurrection.

https://twitter.com/FranPannie/status/1349447894420611074

Ronan Farrow identified her, profiled her, and interviewed her.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1356430585120522241

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Mother of eight?

“Your honor, directing unruly children with a bullhorn is customary for her.”

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I read a book by former Seattle police chief Norm Stamper who is quite progressive especially for a cop. He argued for legalization of every drug except PCP as people on that were uncontrollable. Dunno if that’s in the cards but would be good to make pot legal federally.

Regarding Cruz’s book buys when I was younger and dumber I went to a mega church where the pastor got caught doing the same thing. If he had given up a little power and accepted oversight his churches might be creeping on Olsteen levels by now, but that combined with a few other scandals led him to give up and leave town and the many fast growing church campuses were gone in less than half a year.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

I was looking into work that required security clearances and was disappointed to learn that (from what I understand) even if it's legal in the state you can still get in hot water regarding your clearance? Hopefully this will fix that. May as well fix more than just that while they're at it but I don't make the rules.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
yes currently uncle sam doesn't give a gently caress what your state says, if you get baked they bake you

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Iain posted:

I was looking into work that required security clearances and was disappointed to learn that (from what I understand) even if it's legal in the state you can still get in hot water regarding your clearance? Hopefully this will fix that. May as well fix more than just that while they're at it but I don't make the rules.

Because security clearances are a federal thing, so it doesn't matter what state you live in.

Even in legal states, plenty of people can't smoke. Anyone with a CDL comes to mind.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Iain posted:

It is very important to remember that marijuana is still technically illegal everywhere in the US, even in states that are licensing and collecting tax revenue on it. That had a lot of implications for federal work and interstate commerce.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Long thread/video from AOC: bottom line, an insurrectionist got into her office, with her in it, and there was later a very shady "Capitol Police" officer that wouldn't identify himself to her legislative director.

Or: the shady person in her office was that "Capitol Police" officer. It's unclear in the telling/transcription.

https://twitter.com/ChelseaCirruzzo/status/1356434553586540545

https://twitter.com/justicedems/status/1356439260002410497

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 2, 2021

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Iain posted:

Federal legalization may not even address clearance issues, especially if the marijuana use happened before legalization or if they just plain don't update employment standards. Plenty of companies in states where it's legal still drug test.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Federal legalization would be nice. Hopeful that it would also get rid of the dumb "If you have a medical card, you are prohibited from purchasing or owning fire arms" rule too.

It won't but I can hope

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Handsome Ralph posted:

Federal legalization would be nice. Hopeful that it would also get rid of the dumb "If you have a medical card, you are prohibited from purchasing or owning fire arms" rule too.

It won't but I can hope

I don't think the current background check runs through state weed card databases. There are overzealous, conservative run shops that will definitely check any public facing rolls for your name, but those are the kind of shops that probably run off anyone darker than eggshell white, at least here.

There are those kinds of shops in Colorado blatantly ignoring the magazine capacity ban and selling mags over the 15rd capacity limit without pinning them. I get that mag caps are bullshit, but it's the current law, it hasn't been struck down yet.

Besides, I've not heard of anyone here losing their guns over having a medical card, unless they were already involved in the shady side of weed. As far as the state seems to be concerned, don't grow over your limit and they don't really care. Or just buy your guns before you get your medical card, or after your current one expires.

Unless they've changed the background check recently to include medical cards, no one really gives a poo poo unless you're getting attention for something else already from cops/feds. If you have their attention, you're already hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

ASAPI posted:

Interesting, my TX experience has equated to "wait until they unfuck things so I can get a shot"

Same here, I can't get a jab for my retiree parents and our family doctor just told us "we ain't getting the vaccines after all since the state changed their plans again".

I'm in Williamson county and apparently FHS/Family Hospital Systems just got 10,000 doses in today for 1a/1b category folks. We registered and are in a holding pattern.