Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Deuce posted:

I didn't go through eight years of evil medical school to be called "mister!"

You need the surgical qualification for that! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Holy poo poo what an av/post combo

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't ever call anyone by their title, or their last name. gently caress that poo poo, life is too short and you should be glad I can remember your name.

Dear user:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Emails to one person get no salutation

Emails to 2+ get “All,”

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I don't ever call anyone by their title, or their last name. gently caress that poo poo, life is too short and you should be glad I can remember your name.

Everyone at my work is firstname, even the C-levels, unless your name is something like Mike where there are several of you, and then you get called lastname.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

lament.cfg posted:

Emails to 2+ get “All,”

Individual or two people get names, After that it is ‘hello team’

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

That is a powerful "gently caress you" to the in-laws.

Funny thing is her last name was Butte, so she was Doctor Butte, or doctor grandma butte.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Hey fucker(s) is appropriate at all levels, events, and social occasions

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

diremonk posted:

Funny thing is her last name was Butte, so she was Doctor Butte, or doctor grandma butte.

Please, please, tell us she was a proctologist.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I get called Mr Armadillo or Sir a lot in my work. Makes me laugh every time it happens.
I work with a lot of ex military and I'm a manager so it just stems from that.

I don't think anyone actually tells anyone to do it, they just do.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

lament.cfg posted:

Emails to 2+ get “All,”

that's "Dr. All," to you

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

My wife has a DVM and an MS so she'll occasionally tell me that I have to address her as Doctor Master, but she's normally pretty informal about it otherwise and generally goes by Doctor <Firstname> even when it is used, except for formal things like presentations at conferences or whatever.

She does get worked up about people addressing things to "Mr. and Mrs. <Myfirstname> <Ourlastname>, so we try getting people to send things to "Dr. and Mr. <Herfirstname> <Ourlastname>" if they insist on doing that sort of thing. No takers yet, even among her old high school friends and stuff :(

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I am absolutely going to do that when my wife passes her viva and if someone is all "it's DOCTOR Dipshit actually" I'll respond "oh? Well it's Mr. Dortor My Wife too". Because why not?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

shortspecialbus posted:

My wife has a DVM and an MS so she'll occasionally tell me that I have to address her as Doctor Master, but she's normally pretty informal about it otherwise
The way this is phrased makes it sounds like this is how you address each other over the dinner table or something haha, really threw me at first.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

angry armadillo posted:

The way this is phrased makes it sounds like this is how you address each other over the dinner table or something haha, really threw me at first.

That's exactly what I meant.

It's not particularly serious.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I once had someone to remind me to call them Dr at a kids birthday party and I could do was laugh and walk away. Its just one of those red flags that immediately sets off the "eject" button for me and I am getting too old to deal.

It goes hand and hand with the "no law enforcement" policy we have in the house. My wife use to not be a fan of it, but the rule always shows why it needs to exist over a long enough timeline. She now gets it.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Sickening posted:

I once had someone to remind me to call them Dr at a kids birthday party and I could do was laugh and walk away. Its just one of those red flags that immediately sets off the "eject" button for me and I am getting too old to deal.

Yeah to clarify, outside of a professional context (and even then only when appropriate) and her annoyance at having her name simply erased for being a woman with the whole "Mr. and Mrs. Myname Lastname" thing, she isn't remotely pretentious at all. She usually only points out that her title is "Doctor" if someone is being condescending to her because she's a woman or whatever.

Edit: VVV I let that one go

ssb fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 2, 2021

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

quote:

It goes hand and hand with the "no law enforcement" policy we have in the house.
ok what

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ACAB

edit: I assume.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Just spent half an hour with a vendor in our server room trying to hunt down a port number that did not match to anything in our panel numbering scheme. We ran a tone wand over all of our active ports and couldn't find anything. eventually by tracking wires we found a tiny half-height panel wedged underneath a wire hider so you couldn't see it unless you removed the hider or were sitting on the floor.

Hilarious part is once we found them the ports on the switch were very clearly labeled.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Hey, so. You know what's fun?

A core switch making GBS threads the bed smack in the middle of the day.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1356629554132119552

Simcity 2000 Arcology?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

There's been a spate of people at work who're reporting an issue connecting to their WiFi while our VPN (PAN GlobalProtect) is active. Since it's an always-on VPN, because government, there's not much we can do except blame the ISP when the device works fine on site.

Apparently AT&T has told more than one fiber site that VPNs "aren't supported" which is some hot mcfuckin' bullshit.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

From skimming the article it looks like they're building three actual office buildings and one gimmick building full of "alternative workplaces" that they can "give tours of", i.e. charge the public for access to. I'm all for alternative workspaces but this doesn't really look like it'll accomplish anything. I guess it'll give people an interesting place to hang out on their lunch break.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Knormal posted:

From skimming the article it looks like they're building three actual office buildings and one gimmick building full of "alternative workplaces" that they can "give tours of", i.e. charge the public for access to. I'm all for alternative workspaces but this doesn't really look like it'll accomplish anything. I guess it'll give people an interesting place to hang out on their lunch break.

It should be nothing but breakrooms, space for teambuilding days, and other chill stuff. They can afford a whole building for that.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Here's a good piece on why despite constantly showing up in "concept drawings" of fancy new buildings, trees on skyscrapers is actually a terribly impractical idea for a myriad reasons and so usually never really make it into the final product:

https://99percentinvisible.org/article/renderings-vs-reality-rise-tree-covered-skyscrapers/

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

dragonshardz posted:

There's been a spate of people at work who're reporting an issue connecting to their WiFi while our VPN (PAN GlobalProtect) is active. Since it's an always-on VPN, because government, there's not much we can do except blame the ISP when the device works fine on site.

Apparently AT&T has told more than one fiber site that VPNs "aren't supported" which is some hot mcfuckin' bullshit.

Are you using split-tunnel VPN? Does traffic to internal resources work, but internet does not?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mllaneza posted:

It should be nothing but breakrooms, space for teambuilding days, and other chill stuff. They can afford a whole building for that.

A WHOLE FLOOR OF FOOSEBALL TABLES AND FRIDGES FULL OF BAWLZ

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Entropic posted:

Here's a good piece on why despite constantly showing up in "concept drawings" of fancy new buildings, trees on skyscrapers is actually a terribly impractical idea for a myriad reasons and so usually never really make it into the final product:

https://99percentinvisible.org/article/renderings-vs-reality-rise-tree-covered-skyscrapers/

We drove by those buildings in Milan in November 2019, they looked pretty nice from a distance, didn't see them up close though.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Knormal posted:

Some friends of mine work at an European base of a big tech company and they showed me around their recreation rooms, on-site cinema, squash hall, and all sorts of fancy stuff. Then they told me that they never make use of those facilities because there is no time for that, they only saw them when giving friends tours.

I guess it's something like that.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Are you using split-tunnel VPN? Does traffic to internal resources work, but internet does not?

Nope, we're not using a split-tunnel VPN. The issue that people are having is they can connect to a wifi network while at the office, but when they go home and try to connect to their wifi network there, they get "Couldn't connect to this network" from Windows.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Entropist posted:

Some friends of mine work at an European base of a big tech company and they showed me around their recreation rooms, on-site cinema, squash hall, and all sorts of fancy stuff. Then they told me that they never make use of those facilities because there is no time for that, they only saw them when giving friends tours.

I guess it's something like that.
The Dublin Google office famously faces the train line, and you can see right into where the pool tables and poo poo are. You don't really hear people talking about how cool it is to have a pool table there though.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

dragonshardz posted:

Nope, we're not using a split-tunnel VPN. The issue that people are having is they can connect to a wifi network while at the office, but when they go home and try to connect to their wifi network there, they get "Couldn't connect to this network" from Windows.
I vaguely recall back in my support days that some VPN clients wouldn't automatically use the right MTU on certain connections and would constantly have issues (horrible packet fragmentation meant basically no connections would work). IIRC (and this is like 10+ years ago, so I might not) the VPN was setting the MTU to 1492 and it needed to be 1400; once we forced the MTU to the correct value, the connections started working again. Something to look into, maybe?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

nexxai posted:

I vaguely recall back in my support days that some VPN clients wouldn't automatically use the right MTU on certain connections and would constantly have issues (horrible packet fragmentation meant basically no connections would work). IIRC (and this is like 10+ years ago, so I might not) the VPN was setting the MTU to 1492 and it needed to be 1400; once we forced the MTU to the correct value, the connections started working again. Something to look into, maybe?

...MTU? Where would I see what it's set to, and how would I validate that it is correct?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

dragonshardz posted:

...MTU? Where would I see what it's set to, and how would I validate that it is correct?
It would be a setting in the VPN configuration (if it's available to be configured in the first place).

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
At least in the past, I routinely had/have globalprotect fail to release routes after the VPN has died/suspended/kicked for inactivity, and it continues to try to route all traffic through a dead GP, until I manually disconnect/reconnect and log in again

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

dragonshardz posted:

For GlobalProtect it's under your portal settings, in the agent configuration on the App tab. Defaults to 1400.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

nexxai posted:

It would be a setting in the VPN configuration (if it's available to be configured in the first place).

rafikki posted:

For GlobalProtect it's under your portal settings, in the agent configuration on the App tab. Defaults to 1400.

I don't have access to the GlobalProtect backend, so I can't check it myself., and that setting doesn't seem to be available on the client.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 3, 2021