Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poltroon
Dec 15, 2008
Does anyone know exactly how the ships from Interstellar Logistics Stations work? I know a station set to Remote Supply will send out its ships to a station with a Remote Demand order, but do stations with Remote Demand send ships to Remote Supply points?

I'm trying to start boating in resources from other stars, but I don't want to have to feed all my current stations with warpers if I can just designate one or two.

Poltroon fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Poltroon posted:

Does anyone know exactly how the ships from Interstellar Logistics Stations work? I know a station set to Remote Supply will send out its ships to a station with a Remote Demand order, but do stations with Remote Demand send ships to Remote Supply points?

As far as I can tell if you have say 10 ships at the supply point and 10 ships at the demand point, you'll have 20 ships flying back and forth to make sure that the demand tower has what it needs in its' inventory. It does look like the demand station will send out ships to seek out wherever it's being supplied at.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Poltroon posted:

No, it's one or the other, suppliers will supply demanders, not the other way around. That said, you can have a station set to remote demand and local supply, which will make it function as a distributor for incoming interstellar shipments, using the small drones to send it to local demanders on the planet. Similarly you can use local demand/remote supply and the tower will gather from local suppliers and send it to other planets.

E: Reading above sorry, yes they will send out ships to pick stuff up from remote suppliers, but they won't send goods out to them. The actual ships can be assigned at either end of the connection though, but the direction of transfer is always the same.

You are correct that it is best, if possible, to centralize your warper distribution to save effort. Mining outposts don't need ships stationed on them as long as you have a tower on your desired destiation planet with ships and warpers.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 1, 2021

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

For hydrogen I just have a chunk of my main planet dedicated to hydrogen power generation and a logistic station funneling it all in. That way I can set my production chains to just dump it into logistics and either burn it off or use it as necessary. If I ever run out of hydrogen for other purposes I just turn off the chutes and my hydrogen stocks go back up.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
YESSSS!

My first offworld deliveries have arrived!!!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
I should of went solar way earlier. All that wasted coal...

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

LifeSunDeath posted:

YESSSS!

My first offworld deliveries have arrived!!!

"A new life awaits you in the Off-world colonies. The chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure."

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Will logistics drones or vessels ever transport less than a full load of cargo? It looks like they won't, which is making my power exchanger / accumulator interstellar power transfer setup incredibly expensive to get started.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Just noticed you can pave over water you've set a pump on and it's now pumping through the ground, interesting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like this setup for energy exchangers on a dedicated power production world:

Very tidy and each one can transfer 45MW of power so that's a shitload of capacity if you put one of these setups at either pole and then carpet the rest of the planet in power producers. And you can transfer that power extremely compactly to other planets.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Does this came cloud save with steam? Assuming yes.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

I like this setup for energy exchangers on a dedicated power production world:

Very tidy and each one can transfer 45MW of power so that's a shitload of capacity if you put one of these setups at either pole and then carpet the rest of the planet in power producers. And you can transfer that power extremely compactly to other planets.

you should put the ray receiver on the pole. It will last longer at 100% capacity, and the intersteller logistics building doesn't block it.

EDIT: If your ray receivers are on the polar grid, they get 100% of the strength for as long as it's not 'winter'. The time difference is massive too... we're talking like 15+ minutes of being at 100% strength compared to being a grid away. Stick a receiver on the north and south pole and you will always have at least 1 receiver at 100%.

RocketRaygun fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 2, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So has anyone else noticed that every single upgrade chain (belts, inserter/sorters, assemblers, motors) are all red-green-blue. With the exception of electronics which follow the Factorio theme of green chip, red chip, blue chip?

Just a little thing that I noticed and was amused by.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Also, there is something extremely endearing about the google translate nature of all the voice lines in this game. The fully voice acted line about fluids being devastated if I destroy a fluid tank was just too much.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

If I set one station as a supply of warpers will it refill all the interstellar stations too or do I have to use a slot for demand and run a little belt loop out and around?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
If you can get it to work, the first 50 will load but you still need a slot for import. Make sure you're sending a full load.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RocketRaygun posted:

you should put the ray receiver on the pole. It will last longer at 100% capacity, and the intersteller logistics building doesn't block it.

EDIT: If your ray receivers are on the polar grid, they get 100% of the strength for as long as it's not 'winter'. The time difference is massive too... we're talking like 15+ minutes of being at 100% strength compared to being a grid away. Stick a receiver on the north and south pole and you will always have at least 1 receiver at 100%.

I mean it does block it in the sense that I cant put both the receiver and the ILS on the pole and the ILS needs to be in the middle for the conveyors to attach neatly, and I need waay more ray receivers to the point that one per pole isn't actually very meaningful, they're only there because I had some in my pocket. Also that planet is 1:4 orbital resonance anyway so days are like 3000 seconds long or something.

https://i.imgur.com/BLaPj5w.mp4

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

PSA: Shift + Click buildings to make a duplicate of it, with settings if it's a factory or something. But this is effectively a pipette tool that lets you grab a duplicate of anything without having to open up a menu. I figured I'd mention it because I'm watching a streamer play this and he's gone 4 hours without using it once and it really makes building less of a hassle when you're not pulling stuff out of your inventory to place stuff down.

Also that vid above rules

Edit: I just realized that the lights on your belts turn on/off as the horizon hits them. You can watch them blink off in succession as the sun sets, it's pretty neat.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 2, 2021

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

RocketRaygun posted:

Also, there is something extremely endearing about the google translate nature of all the voice lines in this game. The fully voice acted line about fluids being devastated if I destroy a fluid tank was just too much.
You can hear the voice actor over-enunciating every awkward phrasing too, thinking "dammit I wish they let me change a couple words."

E: do people really build out of their inventory? I shift click occasionally to duplicate recipes, but mostly use number/function keyboard shortcuts.

Scaevolus fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 2, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

RocketRaygun posted:

I have no idea how the transmission works yet but I've unlocked it. I'm starting to have power issues now and want to turn something into a power planet. what sort of total return can I get consistently by doing all this? My current base is only like at 120MW peak or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Each ray receiver has a max output of 12.5MW by default, so you can get... 12.5MW from one at each pole, on average.

They are essentially very finnicky solar panels, they require constant connection to reach their optimal power output, any interruption kills their efficiency so they don't work properly on most locations on most planets, it will depend on your planet's orbital characteristics.

If you have a tidally locked planet that is an ideal location for them, though solar panels are still decidedly easier to set up.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Each ray receiver has a max output of 12.5MW by default, so you can get... 12.5MW from one at each pole, on average.

They are essentially very finnicky solar panels, they require constant connection to reach their optimal power output, any interruption kills their efficiency so they don't work properly on most locations on most planets, it will depend on your planet's orbital characteristics.

If you have a tidally locked planet that is an ideal location for them.

oh jeeze, that's not very much at all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah they're pretty poor for power generation. They are designed, I think, to be fed graviton lenses which makes them operate regardless of being able to see the sphere and doubles their output, and also you need them to make antimatter for the endgame. But as pure power collectors they are just... crap unfortunately :v:

They are I think, more power dense than solar panels, but they are so specific in placement requirements that in most cases you just want solar panels.

It's worth putting some around the poles of most planets but you can't rely on them.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I need to get off my butt and get some dyson sphere stuff going, I've been really focused on improving yellow cubes, and have now expanded tons of chem production as well as getting titanium shipped in, then super expanded my research labs and that's when I hit power issues.

but now I guess working on automating sails and frame parts or whatever is next. proll make a really big combustor plant with enriched coal and see how that goes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eh, the sphere isn't actually very useful for anything until you're at the end stage of the game, it's one of the weaknesses of it at the moment honestly. It's fun to build but it doesn't really do much because of how awkward it is to get power out of the thing.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Scaevolus posted:

You can hear the voice actor over-enunciating every awkward phrasing too, thinking "dammit I wish they let me change a couple words."

I just assumed they used a text-to-speech engine for Tutorial Isaac Clarke. It manages to be novel and endearing since I haven't really seen other games do it yet.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

I mean it does block it in the sense that I cant put both the receiver and the ILS on the pole and the ILS needs to be in the middle for the conveyors to attach neatly, and I need waay more ray receivers to the point that one per pole isn't actually very meaningful, they're only there because I had some in my pocket. Also that planet is 1:4 orbital resonance anyway so days are like 3000 seconds long or something.

https://i.imgur.com/BLaPj5w.mp4

Ah, yeah. I just put my towers off to the side a bit and route belts in. There is enough enforced space between transfers and ray recievers that you can wiggle some belts between them to get the design you want.

Also, if you planet allows for certain things like 3000 second long days... then yeah whatever do that haha.

I'm still amazed that this game actually simulates planet rotation, wobble, and the like accurately. This game is actually insane that it runs as well as it does with all this simulation going on.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

DelphiAegis posted:

Of note: thermal plants (and I assume fusion plants) can insert from one to the other. With mkIII sorters (and some stack upgrades) you can chain around 10 thermal plants side by side and have them all work. No need to deliver fuel by belt to each one.

I tried this last week and it didn't work. Does it specifically need mk3 sorters?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Boogalo posted:

I tried this last week and it didn't work. Does it specifically need mk3 sorters?

it doesn't, did you put the sorters in the wrong direction

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Finally got babies first quantum chips > green cubes pipeline setup and it's spitting out a whole 18 cubes / minute after like 2 hours of work.

:negative:

Dehumanize yourself and face towards logistics towers.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

drat I just thought about the possibility of bazillions of storage containers stacked up in arrays containing every resource on a planet shipping it all off with logistics. I need that power.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

LifeSunDeath posted:

drat I just thought about the possibility of bazillions of storage containers stacked up in arrays containing every resource on a planet shipping it all off with logistics. I need that power.

I mean. That's already possible? Unless you mean in the containers themselves which would look pretty cool, admittedly.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

mrmcd posted:

Finally got babies first quantum chips > green cubes pipeline setup and it's spitting out a whole 18 cubes / minute after like 2 hours of work.

:negative:

Dehumanize yourself and face towards logistics towers.

This is how all of my research started, and then I just keep dumping time and buildings into expanding that color until I run out of research I can do without the next color. I haven't even touched the dyson sphere stuff yet. For reference I just finished purple and I am currently on my ice planet doing a gigantic buildout of titanium glass for green.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Boogalo posted:

If the fuel is consumed fast, this wont work nearly as well, no. Works best for hydrogen and better fuels IME. Also use mk3 sorters. It's worth it to automate your basic stuff like mwlters, sorters, assemblers, belts, etc.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Rynoto posted:

I mean. That's already possible? Unless you mean in the containers themselves which would look pretty cool, admittedly.

just like the idea of a planet totally processed and packed up

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Planning stuff is pretty hard, especially with things that have hydrogen as a byproduct. I’ve started just setting up a small fractionator loop next to anywhere that has hydrogen as a byproduct and I’ve managed to stockpile a good number of deuterium fuel rods. My next step is scaling up turbine production (again) and it’s utterly absurd how much iron in consuming to make magnets.

I have 60 smelters outputting magnets feeding into 10 tier 2 factories making electromagnets and it can’t keep up. To get enough turbines I’m gonna have to scale up to 240 smelters doing nothing but magnets and it’s gonna take so loving long to place it :negative:

Edit: does anyone know what the storage option for the logistics towers does?

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 2, 2021

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
It just makes them act as a huge splitter / storage chest combo, no interaction with the rest of the logistic network for the given mode.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Plus you can click any logistics tower on the planet using the planet view to withdraw from its inventory.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

New player question - how do I get sorters to move stuff from one height to another? I have two conveyor belts, traveling perpendicularly, one level apart (one north-south on the ground, the other east-west one level up). I have tried putting a sorter (or whatever the starter inserter equivalent is) on the ground-level one and trying to put the other end on the upper level one and it keeps getting mad at me for having something wrong with a bridge. This is making it kinda difficult to build my basic bus/basic mall for conveyor belts/sorters/assemblers/smelters/labs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Arcturas posted:

New player question - how do I get sorters to move stuff from one height to another? I have two conveyor belts, traveling perpendicularly, one level apart (one north-south on the ground, the other east-west one level up). I have tried putting a sorter (or whatever the starter inserter equivalent is) on the ground-level one and trying to put the other end on the upper level one and it keeps getting mad at me for having something wrong with a bridge. This is making it kinda difficult to build my basic bus/basic mall for conveyor belts/sorters/assemblers/smelters/labs.

im not sure if you can do it with sorters, i'd use a splitter (hit tab while placing it to get the options)