Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

HashtagGirlboss posted:

You forgot about Poland!

as a young idiot child in 2004 or 5 i had to do a paper on a current event, and misread a chart of the iraqi occupation zones as "polish occupied" instead of "coalition occupied"

so i wrote about how it wasnt an american invasion because 75% of iraq was being occupied by the polish :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1355828380164366338

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Malleum posted:

as a young idiot child in 2004 or 5 i had to do a paper on a current event, and misread a chart of the iraqi occupation zones as "polish occupied" instead of "coalition occupied"

so i wrote about how it wasnt an american invasion because 75% of iraq was being occupied by the polish :downs:

Still demonstrated more knowledge than 90% of the US population in 2004/5 just by having glanced at a map of Iraq

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

HashtagGirlboss posted:

You forgot about Poland!

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Suddenly Remembered when FYAD poster rubber cat got Chuck Grassley to field the question "where are the jobs where are they also what is your favorite food" lol

His answer was something like "ice cream and beef"

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

The cop who said a McDonalds employee took a bite out of his burger but then it turned out he had done it himself and just forgot.

Also the cops who claimed a burger place poisoned their milkshakes even though it was an online order so there would be no way of knowing it was for cops. Then it turned out that it was just that the machines had been recently cleaned and maybe they weren't completely rinsed off.

I'd bet it was less that he "forgot" and more that he freaked out when the story blew up and decided to "remember" taking a bite rather than double down on his BS, lol.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
shortly after 9/11 there was a minor scandal in Canada when George Bush was thanking a list of American allies for their support and forgot to mention Canada

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Economixcomix/status/1356348689829257216?s=20

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lmao

https://twitter.com/illidwilliams/status/1356449573577904134?s=21

for context

https://www.espn.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5759196

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GYWO was so good

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
“If we broke up the big banks tomorrow,” Clinton asked, “would that end racism?”

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm loving dying here

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lol he can't even grow his own hair

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Fortaleza posted:

Suddenly Remembered when FYAD poster rubber cat got Chuck Grassley to field the question "where are the jobs where are they also what is your favorite food" lol

His answer was something like "ice cream and beef"

i have been given a dozen or so interview opportunities to grassley and i never asked him what the windsor heights dairy queen was good for :negative:

it is my life's shame

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Utwitily/status/1356460174966484999?s=20

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
lol that is loving mental

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

vyelkin posted:

shortly after 9/11 there was a minor scandal in Canada when George Bush was thanking a list of American allies for their support and forgot to mention Canada
Also "You forgot Poland."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Malleum posted:

You have a career at fn

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

god i forgot about this absolute work of art

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

quote:

After the release of the Senate Intelligence Committee report on CIA torture in December 2014, the President of Poland between 1995 and 2005, Aleksander Kwasniewski, admitted that he had agreed to host a secret CIA black site in Poland, but that activities were to be carried out in accordance to Polish law. He said that a U.S. draft memorandum had stated that "people held in Poland are to be treated as prisoners of war and will be afforded all the rights they are entitled to", but due to time constraints the U.S. had not signed the memorandum.

quote:

The Foreign Minister of Poland, Włodzimierz Cimoszewicz, stated in July 2003, "We have never hidden our desire for Polish oil companies to finally have access to sources of commodities”.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

anyone else remember how before the 2016 Republican primaries everyone was sure jeb was a shoe in for their side? Like, in 2014?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Mr. Lobe posted:

anyone else remember how before the 2016 Republican primaries everyone was sure jeb was a shoe in for their side? Like, in 2014?

Jeb!'ll fix it

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Mr. Lobe posted:

Only the media ever believed this. Actual people wanted the Bush dynasty to die

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Even Barbara, lmao

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Real-world politics and the Hogwarts Houses, written on LiveJournal in tyool 2007, before both Harry Potter and politics became cringe, completely foreshadows how they became cringe

quote:

First let us look at the most popular of all houses, Gryffindor. It seems to me that Gryffindor best represents the social democrat ideology such as that characterised by the British Labour Party. Gryffindors, like social democrats, are seemingly obsessed with making sure everything is fair. Social Democrats concern themselves with the fairness of workplace relations and trade schemes, while Gryffindors become furious when teachers are unfair to them (ahem, Snape) or even life itself is unfair to them (as noted by Snape about Sirius and Harry). Gryffindor has a somewhat anti-authoritarian streak, perfectly embodied by Fred and George. This could be seen to be at loggerheads with social democracy, which strives for such strong authority. However, social democratic parties frequently employ means such as strikes and protest marches, in effect disruptive strategies. This is of course very similar to Fred and George who are never downright anarchic (except to Umbridge but who wouldn't be then!) And of course social democratic parties are progressive, with some factions being immensely supportive of multiculturalism and gay rights. This progressive nature is best characterised by Hermione's work with S.P.E.W. The lack of support she receives from her fellow Gryffindors is indicative of the fractured nature of many social democratic movements. Gryffindors would welcome such government initiatives as the welfare state with its altruistic and utilitarian compulsions. Helping people who may not want to be helped is what Gryffindor is all about.

quote:

Thirdly let us examine the House of Ravenclaw. As we all know, wit and intelligence are the points of supreme importance to Ravenclaw students. This is the first indication that Ravenclaw promotes a meritocracy like that which exists in Singapore. Wealth, family connections, class privilege, cronyism and popularity (as in democracy) are all irrelevant to Ravenclaws. All that matters is merit, talent and competence. Holding intelligence at the pinnacle means that those who strive for knowledge are those that come out on top, just like in a meritocratic state.

quote:

Hufflepuff is of course communist through and through. How could a house that values hard work, loyalty and teamwork the most be anything else? I do not refer to communism as the government in place in China, Cuba or what was formerly in the Soviet Union. I mean communism as that outlined by Marx. The system where everyone actually is equal, and all must work together for the good of each other. A utopian wonderland for the working class. That is what Hufflepuff is inherently all about.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
“I’m a geek, I’m a geek, I’m a power tool."

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

The comment describing Hufflepuff as classical agrarian conservatism or Distributism seems about right

quote:

How could a house that values hard work, loyalty, and teamwork... be anything else?

Oh, very easily. Karl Marx would hate the Fat Friar! Hufflepuff has a strong affinity for a kind of conservatism that doesn't have a catchy name right now and doesn't get much press -- the small-is-beautiful communitarian conservatism that cherishes traditional folkways and rural life; that prefers the small and local to the big and national (or super-national); that is suspicious of excessive industrialization and big business; thinks government should be as small and personal as possible, protect families, and mind its own business. Think of the novels of Jane Austen or Patrick O'Brian, or Distributism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributism) of the early 20th. Think "The Wind in the Willows," where Mr. Badger opens his cozy burrow to lost wanderers and recalls the prodigal Mr. Toad to his duty. Think the Shire :)

There's a place for everyone in this society, including the poor (whose rights are protected by traditional laws and folkways). Loyalty and duty and hard work are primary values. And with its ties to farm life, it is a society deeply in tune with nature.

I think that Hufflepuff, with its quintessentially English badger, is a better match to this kind of traditional society and the conservatism that prizes it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I don’t think actual people were clamoring for Joe Biden to become the dem nominee, but here we are.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t think actual people were clamoring for Joe Biden to become the dem nominee, but here we are.

I knew a huge JEB! fan in 2016 actually. She ended up having an affair with a senior director and they both got fired when they got found out and then she sued the company for sexual harassment. That's my JEB! story.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Deep Hurting, the username of the guy who drew the political cartoon linked. He was an okay artist but too focused on putting pop culture stuff in his political cartoons. Also he was a big whiner about how women wouldn't sleep with him because he was short.

who was the politically ok cartoonist that just constantly drew women with giant milkers

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

zegermans posted:

who was the politically ok cartoonist that just constantly drew women with giant milkers

Horsey? Or maybe that was Deep Hurting. The guy you're talking about was LA Times I think

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Horsey? Or maybe that was Deep Hurting. The guy you're talking about was LA Times I think

yeah that's him

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I knew a huge JEB! fan in 2016 actually. She ended up having an affair with a senior director and they both got fired when they got found out and then she sued the company for sexual harassment. That's my JEB! story.

Sounds more like a Kamala voter

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Apples and bowling balls

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I think it was deep hurting describing Horsey where he gave us the theory that some cartoonists just want to draw bomb rear end titties.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

donald trump was impeached for a second time like a month ago

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Even Barbara, lmao

It's their political dynasty! She's supposed to be there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

some fantastic camera work tbh