Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Elephant Ambush posted:

I always thought that while dragoons LOOK cool they're hilariously impractical. Like you need to have the target literally stand still to hit them. If I look up and see someone in heavy armor diving at me with a spear I could just take a few steps to the side and watch them comically crash into the ground and then laugh.

would never work, dragoon jumps are laser-guided by the power of anime
except for the dragoons in Tactics A2, those ones didn't get the memo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Elephant Ambush posted:

I always thought that while dragoons LOOK cool they're hilariously impractical. Like you need to have the target literally stand still to hit them. If I look up and see someone in heavy armor diving at me with a spear I could just take a few steps to the side and watch them comically crash into the ground and then laugh.

dragoons are supposed to mainly fight dragons, hence the name. You fight the dragons, obviously, by jumping real good at them and spearing them in mid-air on your way down

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I always thought that while dragoons LOOK cool they're hilariously impractical. Like you need to have the target literally stand still to hit them. If I look up and see someone in heavy armor diving at me with a spear I could just take a

nasty hit from the Paladin/Warrior/Dark Knight/Gunbreaker because you stopped paying attention to them to look up at the Dragoon. :v:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Xad posted:

dragoons are supposed to mainly fight dragons, hence the name. You fight the dragons, obviously, by jumping real good at them and spearing them in mid-air on your way down

There's gotta be a better way !!!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Elephant Ambush posted:

If I look up and see someone in heavy armor diving at me with a spear I could just take a few steps to the side and watch them comically crash into the ground and then laugh.

this may come as a shock to a Gamer but it is actually not very easy to dodge fast-moving objects

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Just roll and use the iframes.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Xad posted:

dragoons are supposed to mainly fight dragons, hence the name.

I'm not a native English speaker and I'm pretty sure I first saw the word "dragoon" in FFIV, so when I found out they are actually a real type of soldier and thus probably didn't fight dragons I was very confused

e: I think it was the protoss dragoons in Starcraft that made me look up what's the deal here because why would Starcraft have a Final Fantasy job class name in it ohhhhh

Veib fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 1, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mr. Locke posted:

and them promising for forever that healers don't need to DPS to

I don't remember anyone at S-E saying this?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Veib posted:

I'm not a native English speaker and I'm pretty sure I first saw the word "dragoon" in FFIV, so when I found out they are actually a real type of soldier and thus probably didn't fight dragons I was very confused
Not to forever ruin your immersion, but the real world soldier also does not jump into mid-air.

The real world ones are basically just cavalry units with firearms.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Blockhouse posted:

I don't remember anyone at S-E saying this?

Care of YoshiP in some interview just before Stormblood:

quote:

Q3.) So...healers now have their DPS scale with Mind AND accuracy is no longer an issue. Do you think this will lead to players having even higher expectations of healers to contribute DPS to content since it is a much easier thing to do now?

A.) First of all, we do not expect healers to contribute to DPS. However we know a lot of the cutting edge players enjoy this aspect about the job and that those progressing in the raids early on use it help clear the fights. We decided to make it so that the idea was more approachable and less punishing so that if a player wants to try it, they aren’t sacrificing all of their healing capabilities to do so like they were with the old Cleric Stance. We didn’t like seeing healers doing entire dungeons in Cleric Stance, especially if they forget to switch back and heal!

That being said, and I want you to really reinforce this to your viewers, I firmly believe it shouldn’t be mandatory and we do NOT have the expectation of them to DPS.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That definitely hasn't held up though, aren't all of the Savage DPS checks and enrages timers balanced around healers DPSing their little socks off?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Gotta admit, Final Fantasy (and Panzer Dragoon) really set me up for disappointment when I learned that dragoons were real.

Like, you ride in on a horse, get off of the horse, and then just shoot at other soldiers? The gently caress does that have to do with dragons?

Regarding the game with the best dragoon: are all the re-releases of FF7 based off of the borked PC release or do the ones for the current/emeritus generations work properly? Beating FF7R really makes me wsnna give it another go, but I'd rather play it on my Switch.

Veib posted:

e: I think it was the protoss dragoons in Starcraft that made me look up what's the deal here because why would Starcraft have a Final Fantasy job class name in it ohhhhh

I can promise you that it isn't just non-native English speakers that have no clue that a dragoon was a type of soldier until the modern era of warfare.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

BirdOfPlay posted:

Gotta admit, Final Fantasy (and Panzer Dragoon) really set me up for disappointment when I learned that dragoons were real.

Like, you ride in on a horse, get off of the horse, and then just shoot at other soldiers? The gently caress does that have to do with dragons?
Their weapons were named "dragons" because the firearms (kind of a proto-shotgun) spewed fire and were stylized with dragon's heads.

Yes, this is still kind of a loose association, but *shrug*.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

multijoe posted:

That definitely hasn't held up though, aren't all of the Savage DPS checks and enrages timers balanced around healers DPSing their little socks off?

No, actually. Enrages are generally far, far gentler then they were in the HW era the quotes above came from. They fully intended healers not to be DPSing in Midas Savage which, as someone who DID Midas Savage sounds like loving blasphemy and I don't think they've ever done a DPS check as hard as the heart in A7S (or enrages on A3S, A4S, or A8S) since unless the end of Eden in 5.4 did something special. Even in Ultimate content.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm pretty sure the birth of dragoon in the Final Fantasy franchise is just that the localization team of FFIV (who were also very clearly non-native speakers) had to come up with something for "Dragon Knight" that fit within text restraints so they chose a military thing with dragon in the name

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

multijoe posted:

depends on gear level. savage is intended to be one experience for the people doing it day 1 in last tier's gear, and a different experience for the people doing it somewhere in the catch-up patch with all tome gear.

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
Dragoons were (possibly, there are several theories) named after a type of firearms, which were called such because they had stylized dragons on them.
So the dragon connection is (possibly, several theories) not coincidental.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

multijoe posted:

Week 1 racers yeah maybe, but with a few pieces of savage gear each dps classes more than cover it all.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

BirdOfPlay posted:

Regarding the game with the best dragoon: are all the re-releases of FF7 based off of the borked PC release or do the ones for the current/emeritus generations work properly? Beating FF7R really makes me wsnna give it another go, but I'd rather play it on my Switch.

The Switch version is also, I believe, based on the PC version, which isn't perfect, but perfectly serviceable. Plus, if you just want to experience the story, it has the built in max HP/EXP cheats if you want to use them.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

FFXIV both doesn't want its healers to have interesting DPS kits and also doesn't want its healers healing all the time, and the result is healers spamming one button over and over. It's not great.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
MMOs have never and will never be fun, because the market is so hyper-fixated on emulating WoW for gamers with heavy doses of sunk cost gambler disease that they'll always be too afraid to move away from it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Nah, they're p fun.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'd love to go on FFLogs and see an E11S clear with both healers doing near 0 DPS (wouldn't be 0 to account for assize type spells hitting the boss). My assumption is that Yoshi-P is referencing casual healers, though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Savage is, uh, different though.

FFXIV is a fun and cool game, and then it's an MMO and it's good for an MMO.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Bleck posted:

MMOs have never and will never be fun, because the market is so hyper-fixated on emulating WoW for gamers with heavy doses of sunk cost gambler disease that they'll always be too afraid to move away from it.

WoW is fun so that's actually fine.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

For the longest time I just thought all mmos were garbage trashfires that I'd hate forever, since everything I'd tried had some sort of weird fetish for slowly plodding along and babysitting a couple dozen cooldown timers and hotbars.

Then I got into PSO2 with the global launch and wow, it's like an actual video game, and changed my outlook on the genre, even if I still dislike the aforementioned style of them.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I mean I've got hundreds of hours into FFXIV, I'm just cognizant of the fact that my enjoyment of it is 80% "I am hanging out with my pals," 15% "these places I am going to look nice and have great music," 4% "I am a huge bunny lady" and 1% "the gameplay."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

BirdOfPlay posted:

What's "borked" about the PC release? There was the music issue when it was first released, but all rereleases on the Playstations/Switch use the original PS1 soundtrack so that's not an issue. The music glitch that restarted tracks from the beginning after a battle is also fixed. The MDef bug is confirmed fixed, but that's how it's supposed to be, MDef not working in the PS1 version was a bug.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Twelve by Pies posted:

What's "borked" about the PC release? There was the music issue when it was first released, but all rereleases on the Playstations/Switch use the original PS1 soundtrack so that's not an issue. The music glitch that restarted tracks from the beginning after a battle is also fixed. The MDef bug is confirmed fixed, but that's how it's supposed to be, MDef not working in the PS1 version was a bug.

iirc the recent pc port (and i thinkkkkk the ps4 ver?) had a music bug happen (wrong songs played, afaik) with yuffies theme and the climatic flashback with the main theme in the reactor, but i can say for a fact that the switch version doesn't have those bugs anymore!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Aerith’s death scene, but it’s Fiddle de Chocobo that plays over it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Booky posted:

iirc the recent pc port (and i thinkkkkk the ps4 ver?) had a music bug happen (wrong songs played, afaik) with yuffies theme and the climatic flashback with the main theme in the reactor, but i can say for a fact that the switch version doesn't have those bugs anymore!

unless it was fixed very recently the thing with the reactor music in Cloud’s memory is definitely still in, or at least it is in the PS4 version. still bugs the hell out of me

e: okay looked up a YouTube playthrough and I guess it is fixed on Switch, which means the PS4 version just got ignored for this fix. great...

Augus fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 2, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

HD DAD posted:

Aerith’s death scene, but it’s Fiddle de Chocobo that plays over it.

Now I'm reminded that FF7 had three chocobo themes, and one of them was basically just the song Wipeout.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

jokes posted:

Savage is, uh, different though.

FFXIV is a fun and cool game, and then it's an MMO and it's good for an MMO.

Tell that to the devs when they made Heavensward savage raid dps checks super tight, then decided to have accuracy requirements and none of the healer gear give accuracy :shepface:

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
HW Savage was a goddamn trip through grief, suffering, and learning ways to do mechanics that didn't involve doing the mechanics. Also, A6S was bugged as gently caress for forever and it was fun losing many, many A6 runs in the final moments because Vortexer also wanted to ignore mechanics and just wipe the team with Ultra Flash regardless of positioning.

What I'm saying is that it was so bad they reversed course not even in Stormblood, but for the final block of Alexander and despite all the crying from World Firsters that their race was now a sprint, the game has overall been much better for it. I apparently even missed the worst of it- I rejoined the game around 3.1 and apparently early running Gordias was a special kind of hell where even geared teams executing mechanics perfectly were still enraging on A3S due to minor execution errors, accuracy issues, and people not having reached peak HW Meta yet of WAR/WAR/DRG/MCH/BRD/NIN/SCH/probably WHM because I remember hearing launch AST wasn't a healer, it was a liability.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I love GameFAQs.

554KB

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Twelve by Pies posted:

I only knew that there were a host of issues in the Windows release and that some of those were carried over in subsequent ports, including the Steam re-release. I could only remember the music restarting bug, but I guess I was wrong about there being a whole lot of other bugs that would be bothersome.

TL posted:

The Switch version is also, I believe, based on the PC version, which isn't perfect, but perfectly serviceable. Plus, if you just want to experience the story, it has the built in max HP/EXP cheats if you want to use them.

And fight a supercharged Sephiroth at the end? No thanks.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BirdOfPlay posted:

I only knew that there were a host of issues in the Windows release and that some of those were carried over in subsequent ports, including the Steam re-release. I could only remember the music restarting bug, but I guess I was wrong about there being a whole lot of other bugs that would be bothersome.

I played the FFVII on Steam around 2016, and the only bug that actually stood out was that, because of some element of how the controls are mapped, it was actually impossible to get a good score in the Junoon march minigame. I think it's that you couldn't do one of the steps or something.

It's not exactly a game-breaking bug, and it's kinda hard to even tell if the bug is there in the first place since that's an unrepeatable minigame that's already pretty awkward.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Isn't Sephiroth only supercharged by max level characters?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ApplesandOranges posted:

He’s also powered up by if you used Knights of the Round on Jenova Synthesis, but nowhere near as much as having a max level character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

ApplesandOranges posted:

thetoughestbean posted:

He’s also powered up by if you used Knights of the Round on Jenova Synthesis, but nowhere near as much as having a max level character.

Every level 99 character adds 30K HP and some stats to Safer Sephiroth, using KotR on Jenova adds 80K HP.

Killing Bizarro Sephiroth's head, meanwhile, cuts 100HP from Safer, to a limit of 24.9K. You know, if you want to stall on that fight to kill his head 249 times.