Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018

Lmao

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Sweet thanks. Im gonna turn off Mission story guidance too that poo poo is way too much.
I was a holdout on accepting Detective Vision being in every game but I've kind of accepted it now. Graphics are too good/realistic to spot all the details in maps without it, it was different 15 years ago when the interactable/collectible stuff still stood out from the textures and stuff around it, but unless the game is stylised or highlights interactable stuff there needs to be some way to spot it. I hope someone comes up with a better industry standard than spending half your time in smeary highlight mode though

definitely turn the mission story poo poo off unless you've mastered a map and are just going back and clearing unlocks

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lmao

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

lmfao

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

oh my god the clapping

lmao

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

definitely turn the mission story poo poo off unless you've mastered a map and are just going back and clearing unlocks

This is just anecdotal but I've had trouble getting the mission story challenges to proc unless the guidance is turned on, especially in Dartmoor. There was another spot in Chongqing where an NPC wouldn't talk to me to progress the mission story until I flicked the guidance on and off.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Just finished the campaign.
Time to go back through the levels. What a fantastic game, though that last level sucks. hitman should never be ON RAILS

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Hitman 2016 is the only one with good cutscenes. I hope they put a bit more budget into the Bond license when it comes to story presentation.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

SpaceAceJase posted:

Hitman 2016 is the only one with good cutscenes. I hope they put a bit more budget into the Bond license when it comes to story presentation.

All the CGI stuff for 2016 was so good. The E3 trailer, the montage of memorable assassinations from earlier games, etc. They had a David Fincher vibe to them. You could tell how much they had to cut back for Hitman 2 when IOI went independent because the cutscenes were just still images.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
1's cutscenes were outsourced to somewhere else in square. after leaving square they had to make the cutscenes themselves. between 2 and 2's dlc they hired people who actually could do something better than the freezeframe cutscenes and they were bragging about it lol

arts and craps
Nov 20, 2011

Aston posted:

This is just anecdotal but I've had trouble getting the mission story challenges to proc unless the guidance is turned on, especially in Dartmoor. There was another spot in Chongqing where an NPC wouldn't talk to me to progress the mission story until I flicked the guidance on and off.

I noticed the same thing. I usually play on master but had to switch to do some of the mission stories like the ones you mentioned.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Aston posted:

gah!! Thinking about I remember having that happen a couple of times in 2 but I thought it was a bug

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There's a lot of buggy challenge unlock stuff in this, and I'm guessing the weird mastery transfer thing doesn't help.

If you're a person who has OCD about seeing a list of things and having to get a checkmark next to each one you might be struggling a bit.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

American McGay posted:

There's a lot of buggy challenge unlock stuff in this, and I'm guessing the weird mastery transfer thing doesn't help.

If you're a person who has OCD about seeing a list of things and having to get a checkmark next to each one you might be struggling a bit.

taking 20 pictures of a thing and the challenge still doesnt pop >_>

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Been replaying the 1 and 2 missions since it's been a while. I've got the full mission story helper stuff on, mostly in the interest of time since I have other stuff to do all the time.

I like to get to a location, look at the mission stories list, go "ooh don't think I did that one before" and just let the game guide me. For locations I like (sapienza is cool and quaint as hell imo) I'll go back and go to town with exploring and murdering freestyle.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

1's cutscenes were outsourced to somewhere else in square. after leaving square they had to make the cutscenes themselves. between 2 and 2's dlc they hired people who actually could do something better than the freezeframe cutscenes and they were bragging about it lol

The end of hitman 2 was awesome lol.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

i mentioned the upside down pyramid to some friends the other day who had all played it and they assured me i was crazy and was thinking of Control

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

elf help book posted:

i mentioned the upside down pyramid to some friends the other day who had all played it and they assured me i was crazy and was thinking of Control

lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

we all have barcodes on the backs of our heads... some of just never notice them

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

we all have barcodes on the backs of our heads... some of just never notice them

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Mendoza is such a cool map. The mission exit where you tango with Diana on the dancefloor is too good

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just did Berlin today and that's an incredible level, which my first run ended in a really wild way where I stumbled on a special assassination that did not pan out the way I thought it would.

I stumbled on to the club owner shortly after I'd killed 4 of the ICA agents. I knew where Montgomery was and no one else so far. I knew it had said to kill 5 of them, but I wasn't really sure how it would play out once you killed a fifth one since it was my first time through. I decided since I'd basically explored everywhere and hadn't found any more agents, I'd go ahead and do this one now and kill Montgomery through it. As soon as you place the call and sit down you hear over the headset that they know it's you and that your "trap" completely backfires! Montgomery sat down at the desk and brought FOUR other dudes with him. I was like oh poo poo the game actually hosed me like this and then at the end of the conversation hit the kick button and upended the desk and 47 hides behind it. Then you find a shotgun that the owner taped to the bottom of the desk so I decided gently caress it and just started blasting. Since I was then in a fire fight with 5 dudes it meant I ended up killing all of them even once the mission no longer labeled them targets, getting me a bunch more of their challenges and the one for killing them as they try to evacuate lmao. Normally I try to avoid letting things descend into that kind of chaos but for the context here it just felt so appropriate so I ran with it. Really brilliant twist on the formula for the whole level.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

I just did Berlin today and that's an incredible level, which my first run ended in a really wild way where I stumbled on a special assassination that did not pan out the way I thought it would.

I stumbled on to the club owner shortly after I'd killed 4 of the ICA agents. I knew where Montgomery was and no one else so far. I knew it had said to kill 5 of them, but I wasn't really sure how it would play out once you killed a fifth one since it was my first time through. I decided since I'd basically explored everywhere and hadn't found any more agents, I'd go ahead and do this one now and kill Montgomery through it. As soon as you place the call and sit down you hear over the headset that they know it's you and that your "trap" completely backfires! Montgomery sat down at the desk and brought FOUR other dudes with him. I was like oh poo poo the game actually hosed me like this and then at the end of the conversation hit the kick button and upended the desk and 47 hides behind it. Then you find a shotgun that the owner taped to the bottom of the desk so I decided gently caress it and just started blasting. Since I was then in a fire fight with 5 dudes it meant I ended up killing all of them even once the mission no longer labeled them targets, getting me a bunch more of their challenges and the one for killing them as they try to evacuate lmao. Normally I try to avoid letting things descend into that kind of chaos but for the context here it just felt so appropriate so I ran with it. Really brilliant twist on the formula for the whole level.

That's so loving cool lol

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Yeah that opportunity is one of the best moments in a hitman game ever

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

This is massively old news to everyone Im sure but god drat it feels good to hound a target for what feels like hours and then realize with overwhelming animal adrenaline that you have a legit opportunity sitting right in front of you. After following Dalia Margolis for ages I basically screamed when I was able to clock her in the head with a wrench without witnesses. Sick poo poo.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My other favorite moment so far was my first time in Dartmoor. I'd already been in the level a long time but was still just exploring. I knew I'd missed some events like the detective entering and the family meeting but I made mental notes to check them out next time. I noticed everyone was gathering again in the sitting room so I got to the bar as mansion staff just before Alexa arrived. She started talking and walked to the bar and I was just thinking this would be the perfect opportunity to poison her on a future run when she took a sip and dropped dead. I completely flipped my poo poo because I had absolutely no idea who did it or how. Took a while for me to realize I'd caused it because the first thing I did in the level was explore the outside, including fixing the poison brewer in the greenhouse, allowing the murderer to make and use another dose.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

My other favorite moment so far was my first time in Dartmoor. I'd already been in the level a long time but was still just exploring. I knew I'd missed some events like the detective entering and the family meeting but I made mental notes to check them out next time. I noticed everyone was gathering again in the sitting room so I got to the bar as mansion staff just before Alexa arrived. She started talking and walked to the bar and I was just thinking this would be the perfect opportunity to poison her on a future run when she took a sip and dropped dead. I completely flipped my poo poo because I had absolutely no idea who did it or how. Took a while for me to realize I'd caused it because the first thing I did in the level was explore the outside, including fixing the poison brewer in the greenhouse, allowing the murderer to make and use another dose.

lolllll

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I just did Mendoza actually following the mission stories and it was a really cool subversion of the usual format. All the things like 47 narrating to himself the briefings that Diana usually does, Diana creating environment distractions that you'd normally do yourself..... such a cool way to mix things up. I was kind of disappointed in Hitman 2 that it never felt like Lucas was actually your "partner on the ground" but you totally get that here

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

lmao this happened to me but it was while I was on my way to present her with my deductions about the killer. The butler just led me upstairs and told me to wait here for her and then wandered off to drag her body bag around in circles while grumbling about the mess

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

goferchan posted:

I just did Mendoza actually following the mission stories and it was a really cool subversion of the usual format. All the things like 47 narrating to himself the briefings that Diana usually does, Diana creating environment distractions that you'd normally do yourself..... such a cool way to mix things up. I was kind of disappointed in Hitman 2 that it never felt like Lucas was actually your "partner on the ground" but you totally get that here

I really enjoyed this too. It's so cool having Diana in your ear for all these games and then setting up a hit with her in person. I also really liked that the opportunities I've done involved killing several non-targets. It's a cool way of showing that 47 and Diana are doing their own thing without the ICA.. Gonna spend a ton of time in Mendoza.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I really enjoyed this too. It's so cool having Diana in your ear for all these games and then setting up a hit with her in person. I also really liked that the opportunities I've done involved killing several non-targets. It's a cool way of showing that 47 and Diana are doing their own thing without the ICA.. Gonna spend a ton of time in Mendoza.

All of the other maps run perfectly for me on PC in Hitman 3, even ones that were choppy for me when I played Hitman 2 on the same computer, but for some reason Mendoza is janky as poo poo. It happens in when I'm at the big overlook above the garden party with a bunch of NPCs which makes sense, but I also get weird stuttery parts in some other, closed off areas. It stands out strangely because the rest of the game is like perfect 60fps

edit: and yeah I really liked that I was following the opportunities and expecting to Silent Assassin it but then going along with Diana's plan ended up requiring me to plug a room full of guards after she stabbed someone in broad daylight lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Just about poo poo myself when I climbed out of a box to ambush the KGB officer in the training mission and he saw me in the mirror. This game kicks mondo rear end.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The training missions are so funny because it's just a bunch of ICA employees acting their parts and everything is a cheap plywood set

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I wonder if there are people who don't understand it and just think the graphics are really lovely and get turned off of the game because of it.

I loving love it. They're great tutorials and I'm glad they kept them for the people who just buy 3.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

This game is so loving good. I am starting to GET it. It somehow feels both like a dry realistic simulation and like an incredibly robust play set. I’ve cleared Paris like 5 times now. Dropping the stage lights on Novikov made me howl like a mad ape.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The training missions are so funny because it's just a bunch of ICA employees acting their parts and everything is a cheap plywood set

the guy in the kitchen that the tutorial directly tells you to knock out getting a bandage on his head between hitman 1 and 2 lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I wonder if they know 47 has a free pass to just fastball blunt objects into their skulls during the simulation.