Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jet Jaguar posted:

Watching "The Gathering" and "Midnight on the Firing Line" this evening and while I enjoy the continuity of having the Christopher Franke score, I wish there was an option for the original one still. Dr Kyle is a ton of fun, I wish some of the other folks in the first pilot got to come back the way Lyta did.

Johnny Sekka retired from acting after the B5 pilot, due to health issues I believe. In-universe Ben Kyle was appointed as the Earth Alliance presidential physician and died aboard Earthforce One with Luis Santiago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Watched several of my favorite Delenn episodes last night, ending with Sleeping in Light. That last scene hit hard :cry:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Stay back or I'll click this mouse.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor Zero posted:

Stay back or I'll click this mouse.

Stay back, or I'll shave off her bangs!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Question about the remasters - have they fixed the opening credits for the first few episodes of Season 2 and showed Delenn as she appeared in Season 1 as it was broadcast originally? Likewise with the opening credits to the Season 4 finale which should have removed Ivanova’s credit.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Zaroff posted:

Question about the remasters - have they fixed the opening credits for the first few episodes of Season 2 and showed Delenn as she appeared in Season 1 as it was broadcast originally? Likewise with the opening credits to the Season 4 finale which should have removed Ivanova’s credit.

Almost certainly yes. They already fixed them for the European DVDs, and later the Vudu versions. Only the original US DVDs have these issues.

SnagglePuss
Aug 24, 2004
Heavens to Murgatroid!

Jedit posted:

Johnny Sekka retired from acting after the B5 pilot, due to health issues I believe. In-universe Ben Kyle was appointed as the Earth Alliance presidential physician and died aboard Earthforce One with Luis Santiago.

Dr. Kyle didn't die during the series. He was head of xenobiologic research on Earth until retiring at the end of season 5. He asked Dr. Franklin to take over for him which was Franklin's reason for leaving the station at the end of the show.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

SnagglePuss posted:

Dr. Kyle didn't die during the series. He was head of xenobiologic research on Earth until retiring at the end of season 5. He asked Dr. Franklin to take over for him which was Franklin's reason for leaving the station at the end of the show.

I'll check, but I'm sure I heard otherwise. It might have been a JMS throwaway that he later forgot about.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I thought the president's doctor was the guy who had proof that Clarke was lying about being too sick to be on the ship that blew up.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I thought the president's doctor was the guy who had proof that Clarke was lying about being too sick to be on the ship that blew up.

Yeah, and he was the focus of a mid-season 2 episode.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Not to be morbid but do we know what happened? It sounds like cancer but I can't find any info. Just one of those things, a function of having lived in a warzone, undeterminable because of the time passed, ???

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

VinylonUnderground posted:

Not to be morbid but do we know what happened? It sounds like cancer but I can't find any info. Just one of those things, a function of having lived in a warzone, undeterminable because of the time passed, ???

Lung cancer and he appears to have been a smoker for much of his life.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

pentyne posted:

I specifically mean the stuff from the pilot they had dropped already by s1 and then had refined more by s2. Even the way they shoot the actors way in close during conversations and things like that, major hold overs from the 80s.

Also, the super weird stuff like the weapons and really "alien" make up they tried to go hard in on the sci-fi angle before settling for just making firearms look like modern ones with some futuristic design

Y'know, people called the TNG phasers "dustbusters" but, those original PPG cannons... *sucks teeth* Actually the whole tactical getup looks like something you'd see on one of the latter-day MST3K "totally not a Star Wars ripoff" episodes.

I'm glad they decided to make some major aesthetic changes going forward.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

SnagglePuss posted:

That's correct, according to the B5 Encyclopedia. And I found the scene in "The Ragged Edge": "I got a call from Dr. Benjamin Kyle, head of Xenobiology at Earthdome...he's retiring at the end of the year."

Eighties ZomCom posted:

This is an easy mistake to make because they keep calling him the president's doctor in "Hunter, Prey," but Clark is the president at that point. Sarah, the contact Sheridan has from General Hague, spells out that he's Clark's personal physician, so at the time Earthforce One blew up he was the vice-president's doctor.

In any event, Kyle was neither president's doctor, he was head of xenobiologic research until he retired.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Midjack posted:

Lung cancer and he appears to have been a smoker for much of his life.

I know that was Katsulas. Eastern European smoking like a chimney is on-brand though.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Jedit posted:

Johnny Sekka retired from acting after the B5 pilot, due to health issues I believe.

Ironically he still outlived Richard Biggs, the actor who replaced him.

Do you mean Furlan? She had West Nile Virus.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 28, 2021

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Wow. West Nile Virus. Haven't heard of that in a long time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Narsham posted:

That's correct, according to the B5 Encyclopedia. And I found the scene in "The Ragged Edge": "I got a call from Dr. Benjamin Kyle, head of Xenobiology at Earthdome...he's retiring at the end of the year."

OK, that's my mistake then.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

McSpanky posted:

Y'know, people called the TNG phasers "dustbusters" but, those original PPG cannons... *sucks teeth* Actually the whole tactical getup looks like something you'd see on one of the latter-day MST3K "totally not a Star Wars ripoff" episodes.

I'm glad they decided to make some major aesthetic changes going forward.

The originals were very clearly not-phaser Star Trek knockoffs and the series redesigns are much more militaristic-looking in keeping with the EarthForce aesthetic.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

In some ways, the pause between the pilot and the series really helped, the props and makeup in “Midnight on the Firing Line” are miles ahead of “The Gathering.”

Trying to remember if Delenn’s cabinet of magical rings ever showed up again in the series. I think it went away, down the same hole as the recorder drones.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Jet Jaguar posted:

In some ways, the pause between the pilot and the series really helped, the props and makeup in “Midnight on the Firing Line” are miles ahead of “The Gathering.”

Trying to remember if Delenn’s cabinet of magical rings ever showed up again in the series. I think it went away, down the same hole as the recorder drones.

Didn't recorder drones show up in the couple of reporter-themed episodes?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dirty posted:

Didn't recorder drones show up in the couple of reporter-themed episodes?

Yep. The gravity rings did not, though - they were replaced by the Triluminaries.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

She had to give them back to The Mandarin.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Just for the heck of it, I bought one episode (Babylon Squared) on Amazon and on Vudu for comparison, and it pretty much confirmed (for me) what CainFortea already showed with his screencaps. Even on my really old TV, the Vudu version was a little softer with a more filtered look.

The CGI is certainly helped by keeping the 4:3 ratio, but a couple of things bugged me anyway. My impression is that the CGI looks like the contrast may have been "boosted" a little too much. Spaceships and the station are almost overbrightened compared to what I remember. (It's space, it's supposed to be pretty dark unless you are close to a light source.) Also, there is noticeable judder in the motion of spacecraft, which may be the result of converting the 30 FPS CGI to...something else. Is this a 24 fps stream?

Anyway, Vudu has the "bundle" of all 5 seasons at a good price, but I'd rather get the Amazon version, which is effectively twice as much to buy per-season as the Vudu bundle...

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Rewatched "Signs and Portents" again today and it's still a pretty drat good episode. Even if The Eye looks like something somebody might cobble together at a wine-and-crafts night.

So sad that Ed Wasser didn't get more work after this show. His cheery, polite Rod Serling vibe is great.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Number_6 posted:

Just for the heck of it, I bought one episode (Babylon Squared) on Amazon and on Vudu for comparison, and it pretty much confirmed (for me) what CainFortea already showed with his screencaps.

By the way, that particular episode is also missing the last 3 minutes or so.

https://www.reddit.com/r/babylon5/comments/k05mw9/all_episode_on_itunes_have_been/

Number_6 posted:

Also, there is noticeable judder in the motion of spacecraft, which may be the result of converting the 30 FPS CGI to...something else. Is this a 24 fps stream?

Yeah, 23.976 fps. Converting it to that has perhaps improved the overall consistency of the visuals but definitely hurt the fluidity of the space CGI; I always liked the choice of having 30 fps space CGI with 24 fps filmed stuff given that it was meant for TV anyway. It made the series look more unique and I kinda wish they kept the alternating framerate here (although it would've probably complicated distribution-related stuff, and also Blu-ray supports 1080p only at 24 fps, so this way it's all simple and standardized).

edit: BTW, the Vudu stream was 30 fps. This caused a slight judder in the 24 fps footage (which is most of it) but the space shots were smooth as butter.

Zat fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 31, 2021

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
It looks like composite shots are still upscaled from a 480p or similar source. It's pretty jarring once you start noticing it. It's noticeable whenever someone fires a PPG, there is a greenscreen scene or similar. It's VERY noticeable in the finale of the Ironheart episode in season one where the shots switch rapidly between HD scans and SD scans. It can also be seen in the following episode with the eloping Centauris when the racists decloak. That's as far as I have gotten on my rewatch.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

evobatman posted:

It looks like composite shots are still upscaled from a 480p or similar source. It's pretty jarring once you start noticing it. It's noticeable whenever someone fires a PPG, there is a greenscreen scene or similar. It's VERY noticeable in the finale of the Ironheart episode in season one where the shots switch rapidly between HD scans and SD scans. It can also be seen in the following episode with the eloping Centauris when the racists decloak. That's as far as I have gotten on my rewatch.

The same thing happens on the White Star: shots looking towards the front of the captain's chair are good, reverse shots looking out the front windows are not good. And the battle scene bridge for the Narn cruiser in The Long Twilight Struggle must have been a green screen set or something because they also look upscaled.

Actual HD shots are really good though considering this was a TV show from the 90's with not the world's biggest budget.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Wow, so I only just now found out about the Babylon 5 HD remaster. I somehow still haven't seen Season 5 but I'm wondering if I should give the show another watch through in glorious high definition first. Is there a consensus on the new version?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Delthalaz posted:

Wow, so I only just now found out about the Babylon 5 HD remaster. I somehow still haven't seen Season 5 but I'm wondering if I should give the show another watch through in glorious high definition first. Is there a consensus on the new version?

It's without a doubt the best version yet, though with a few caveats: three two episodes are missing a few minutes each for unknown reasons, and the space CGI looks choppier than it used to because of the frame rate conversion to 24 fps.

Zat fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 6, 2021

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Zat posted:

It's without a doubt the best version yet, though with a few caveats: three two episodes are missing a few minutes each for unknown reasons, and the space CGI looks choppier than it used to because of the frame rate conversion to 24 fps.

That's weird! But awesome. Hmm, maybe I'll watch season 5 in the original SD (I have it already) and then swing around for a new watch-through. Are the movies in HD too?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Delthalaz posted:

That's weird! But awesome. Hmm, maybe I'll watch season 5 in the original SD (I have it already) and then swing around for a new watch-through. Are the movies in HD too?

Unfortunately no.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Zat posted:

Unfortunately no.

Welp. I'm sure that will happen some time in the next thirty or forty years.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1358213197426163713

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Zat posted:

The missing scenes have actually been restored; I was watching Babylon Squared on Max last night and they were there (albeit with the credits music playing over them).

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

The missing scenes have actually been restored; I was watching Babylon Squared on Max last night and they were there (albeit with the credits music playing over them).

lol, well that's great to hear at least, even if it still isn't quite perfect.

At least we can be pretty sure then that that issue will be corrected for the inevitable Blu-ray release.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Cross-Section posted:

Yeah HBO Max has updated with the restored scenes, ITunes and Prime still have them missing but it can’t be long till they get updated too.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

Yeah HBO Max has updated with the restored scenes, ITunes and Prime still have them missing but it can’t be long till they get updated too.

Cool, they weren't restored when I watched them a week or so ago. Might have to check them out again. Thanks!

I'm now in Season 3 and I keep wondering how Sinclair, who studied with the Jesuits, would have enjoyed talking to Brother Theo and his crew.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

I think people also need to discuss how B5 gives comprehensive insight into the mind of an incel terrorist. Very prescient and much more timely now than in the '90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think people also need to discuss how B5 gives comprehensive insight into the mind of an incel terrorist. Very prescient and much more timely now than in the '90s.

Lennier or Marcus??