Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I found out what the best selling book for 1985 in Japan was.

A Super Mario Bros. strategy guide, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

What would y'all pay for a PVM-1341 that needed some repair work? They're asking $175 this one, google suggests the lines most likely be fixed by replacing some capacitors, but I'm not well-versed in PVM pricing or CRT repair.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Some Goon posted:

What would y'all pay for a PVM-1341 that needed some repair work? They're asking $175 this one, google suggests the lines most likely be fixed by replacing some capacitors, but I'm not well-versed in PVM pricing or CRT repair.

I would stay away from it.

E: Suppose I should say why. That is an older model, likely from the late 80s or early 90s. It is also not a Q model. You'll have to discharge it and pull the boards out to replace caps. Which, is a bit of a pain considering how packed everything is inside the PVM and how many cables and such you'll have to reconnect. A lot of work for something that might have other issues. Especially for that price. My cutoff would be the a 50 series (like 1953) or an N model with RGB. M or L is preferable. Unless you find a nice profeel cube model like a 2030 in good condition, anything in the 30/40 series is going to be old, and lack an on screen display entirely or have more limited options.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 1, 2021

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
A few weeks ago I asked this thread if these s-video cables were any good for the Saturn

No one here knew but I got them the other day and I can confirm they are great.

I doubt this photo is helpful at all but there's zero dot crawl and no checkerboarding or any other type of interference. I was hesitant because I always stayed away from s-video cables that also included a composite line, but I can confirm these are one of the good ones.

Speaking of which, is there any reason as to why MK2 on Saturn is missing a ton of speech? I don't really care because there's better ways to play MK2 but why in the hell would a CD system have less speech than the SNES version? I am just wondering the reasoning behind it is all.

Also I am ready to buy an ODE for my Saturn. This is the memory cart I am using:

Which ODE is better if I am using that? I am reading some ODEs conflict with it or something? I do not have Pseudo Saturn installed to it or anything; it's stock. And is this the best RAM cart for the Saturn?

Does either ODE store saves as .SAV (or whatever) files to the storage? Not having to rely on the button battery for saves would be nice since you max out at like 5 games with it.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I've found retrobit cables to be quite acceptable. Been using them for ps2/3 component output. Nice to see yours has no dot crawl. I recall getting some no name n64 svideo cables a few years ago and it was like literally snowing on my television.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Retro-bit cables are fine but have poor QC. If you get some and your cables suck, return them and get another set.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0GinqO4lhU

Footage of the never released Rare remake of Goldeneye

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

A few weeks ago I asked this thread if these s-video cables were any good for the Saturn

I doubt this photo is helpful at all but there's zero dot crawl and no checkerboarding or any other type of interference. I was hesitant because I always stayed away from s-video cables that also included a composite line, but I can confirm these are one of the good ones.

Speaking of which, is there any reason as to why MK2 on Saturn is missing a ton of speech? I don't really care because there's better ways to play MK2 but why in the hell would a CD system have less speech than the SNES version? I am just wondering the reasoning behind it is all.

Also I am ready to buy an ODE for my Saturn. This is the memory cart I am using:

Which ODE is better if I am using that? I am reading some ODEs conflict with it or something? I do not have Pseudo Saturn installed to it or anything; it's stock. And is this the best RAM cart for the Saturn?

Does either ODE store saves as .SAV (or whatever) files to the storage? Not having to rely on the button battery for saves would be nice since you max out at like 5 games with it.

Satiator has a patched firmware you can flash to those ARs that kicks directly into the menu, but you do lose cheat functionality.

There's a tool that both Satiator and MODE can use to back up saves, but you can't save directly to it.

https://github.com/slinga-homebrew/Save-Game-Copier

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I have a Fenrir (which still doesn't support switching discs, but the compatibility has been extremely good aside from that and it's the cheapest ODE), and there's a PseudoSaturn Kai firmware you can flash onto those and load a file onto the Fenrir's SD Card (Fenrir Loader Kai) that lets you boot straight into PS Kai, pick a game from your Fenrir to boot, and then use cheats on it if you like. It's pretty neat. It even works without the cart for doing most cheats with the file on the SD Card (I think some don't work without the cart.)

EDIT: The Fenrir has support for dumping saves to the SD card, but not importing them, you need different clunky homebrew to do that.

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 1, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Kazvall posted:

I would stay away from it.

E: Suppose I should say why. That is an older model, likely from the late 80s or early 90s. It is also not a Q model. You'll have to discharge it and pull the boards out to replace caps. Which, is a bit of a pain considering how packed everything is inside the PVM and how many cables and such you'll have to reconnect. A lot of work for something that might have other issues. Especially for that price. My cutoff would be the a 50 series (like 1953) or an N model with RGB. M or L is preferable. Unless you find a nice profeel cube model like a 2030 in good condition, anything in the 30/40 series is going to be old, and lack an on screen display entirely or have more limited options.

Appreciate it. Looks like I should go read up on my PVM models.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/SatchellDrakes/status/1356307540737470469?s=20

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Nope. The one that came with my console had a hard-rock-sounding BGM. Guitars with distortion pedals. It was the one with Parappa.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Regardless of ODE you choose, I would strongly recommend using one of the red/black "All-in-One" carts that let you toggle between 4M/1M/PSKai functions over the AR cart for one major reason: the AR cart encrypts the save files stored on it and only works as "cold" storage for saves, meaning games won't see you have a backup cart and won't let you save directly to it. You'll be constantly cycling save files into and out of the internal memory, and if you're using an ODE and exploring tons of different games this will very quickly become extremely onerous. You will still have cheat functions and all the other bells and whistles of the AR cart.

The $45 dollar variant here (with the switch on the top) is the one to get, and you can find them on ebay pretty easily too https://www.aliexpress.com/item/330...6000197777104.0

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

This is glorious

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I will not stand for this erasure of Waterworld for Virtual Boy

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Virtual Boy Waterworld lives on in our hearts.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pegnose Pete posted:

So I checked the shipping on a Satiator just for fun and it would cost 85$ USD to ship it to my region so looks like it's a MODE for me if I ever decide to get one.

Also this is retro adjacent but Mitsuda Yasunori and a group of musicians toured in Japan just before the pandemic for the 20th anniversary of Chrono Cross.
A student of mine tried to get tickets from the lottery but didn't make the cut.
I couldn't go because I would have to fly to the nearest venue.
But anyway they are putting a blu-ray out in April and the concert looks RAD AS HECK.
I hardly buy physical media anymore but I may have to grab this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VssRA21O8ng

Mitsuda chilling with a tamborine
Bongo lady going absolutely nuts
Random bass solo at 1:15

Yeah I need this.

Another clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxz6KuN_jDU

Yeah I might need this too

Now I wanna see if there are any ISO's available for PS1 era demo discs

kirbysuperstar posted:

It lived a full life, truthfully threads as active as this one should probably change up their titles every couple of months at the most rather than stick to one for years

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

I have that exact same cart for my Saturn and so far it has worked with everything I've tried. It does require a double-boot dance where it first boots into the cart and then you launch "the disc" which kicks you to the MODE menu.

I don't think the cheats work either.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Now I wanna see if there are any ISO's available for PS1 era demo discs

i think it's easier to find isos from Official Playstation Magazine demo discs than it is to find scans of the actual magazines they came with

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Weird things I found out today:

The cover to Ikki:

Was drawn by a child. And not a child of one of the developers, the kid of one of their neighbors.

That cover moved 800k copies...

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Tag yrself I'm the ninja kneeling by the bread

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I hope that kid got paid.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Tag yrself I'm the ninja kneeling by the bread

That's money.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I hope that kid got paid.

That was my first thought as well.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

That's money.

Bread is not money, Lemon-Lime.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

When the kids say "get that bread", they are urging you to visit your local baker.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Apparently the kid did the manual art as well:

(The manual is only available through a flash applet on Sunsoft's surprisingly still accessible website. Extracting the .swf file from the website and obtaining a local copy of flashplayer is left as an exercise to the reader.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
You got a source for that claim?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

That's way too clean and well proportioned to be a kid's work. Unless the kid was a talented teen or something.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rinkles posted:

You got a source for that claim?

That he drew the manual? No, just conjecture there. The thing about the neighbor kid is in this interview about the making of Ikki:

https://time-space.kddi.com/au-kddi/20201201/3018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Random Stranger posted:

That he drew the manual? No, just conjecture there. The thing about the neighbor kid is in this interview about the making of Ikki:

https://time-space.kddi.com/au-kddi/20201201/3018

I'm relying on google translate, but I think you misread

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I'm relying on google translate, but I think you misread

Possibly. That does make it sound like it wasn't a kid.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Pegnose Pete posted:

So I checked the shipping on a Satiator just for fun and it would cost 85$ USD to ship it to my region so looks like it's a MODE for me if I ever decide to get one.

Also this is retro adjacent but Mitsuda Yasunori and a group of musicians toured in Japan just before the pandemic for the 20th anniversary of Chrono Cross.
A student of mine tried to get tickets from the lottery but didn't make the cut.
I couldn't go because I would have to fly to the nearest venue.
But anyway they are putting a blu-ray out in April and the concert looks RAD AS HECK.
I hardly buy physical media anymore but I may have to grab this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VssRA21O8ng

Mitsuda chilling with a tamborine
Bongo lady going absolutely nuts
Random bass solo at 1:15

Yeah I need this.

Another clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxz6KuN_jDU

that looks

radical

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Detective No. 27 posted:

This thread is full of olds being nostalgic and rebuying games from their childhood. I wonder how kids today are gonna experience their nostalgia when they're adults and most of the games they played as children had their servers shut down. I suppose there will be youtube videos of people's LPs. But those could easily be purged too.

40 years from now, as Formerly Little Jimmy uses the one public terminal in the city still connected the internet after The Catastrophe and uses his precious Internet Time to look up an old Fortnite video on how to beat Thanos. A tear streams down an eye and he says "yeah, those were the days"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/ThisisJCGreen/status/1356065305139834881?s=20

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

hell yeah

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

:oh:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the expanding time scale for this stuff blows my mind on a regular basis. i first started getting into retro gaming around 2003-ish and my cutoff point for what i considered "retro" was ms-dos/16-bit consoles. that would put the line at about eight years in the past, which means that gta 5 and the last of us will be retro games soon. some may find this offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Weedle posted:

the expanding time scale for this stuff blows my mind on a regular basis. i first started getting into retro gaming around 2003-ish and my cutoff point for what i considered "retro" was ms-dos/16-bit consoles. that would put the line at about eight years in the past, which means that gta 5 and the last of us will be retro games soon. some may find this offensive.

I don’t find it offensive as much as I find it terrifying, the idea that something that was released when I was an adult is now “retro” fills me with existential dread. But then I pop in a copy of some fun game and those worries disappear, so it’s all good.