Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

I didn’t even realize you could split pops until I saw it online.
God Ricky was an obtuse rear end game.

OTOH, it had blue Prussia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Prussia should only ever be yellow and Germany itself should only ever be toothpaste blue.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

Prussia should only ever be yellow and Germany itself should only ever be toothpaste blue.

but if Germany is toothpaste blue then what color is Sardinia-Piedmont?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Sometimes I read Steam reviews for various Paradox games simply to find gems like these (this is for Imperator)

Extremely bad game that I've only sunk 350 hours into.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I once bought FTL for a dollar and got 400 hours of joy of it. Any game that doesn't have the same price/hours ratio is trash.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Star posted:

Sometimes I read Steam reviews for various Paradox games simply to find gems like these (this is for Imperator)

Someone on Reddit was complaining that Destiny got boring after 1000 hours, I got downvoted to oblivion for replying 'seems like you got your money's worth'. Some people...

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
To be fair, the good paradox games have a lifespan of like a decade of semi-regular playability so thousands of hours played isn’t uncommon. By that metric 350 is pocket change.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I wouldn't be that surprised if that guy actually didn't enjoy the 350 hours he played the game tbh. Seems like the type to keep playing a game he hates for hundreds of hours.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I'd probably leave negative review for Stellaris after playing ~200 hours or so. But most of this would be coming after an expansion trying the game again. People say it's good, there's a lot of positivity about it, maybe it's fine now?.. No it's not, it's still a slog about waiting for enough minerals and influence to build the next star base.

But arguing that it should cost less is funny. I've got the same intoxication time from $10 bottle of vodka as from $50 bottle of whiskey so whiskey is obviously overpriced.

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
Dollars to hours is a dumb metric, but honestly I have the same issue with Stellaris. More than a hundred hours played without really liking the game.

The problem is the game shows so much promise, but once I start playing I just get bored after 3 or 4 hours into a campaign.

I just keep booting it back up every few months thinking this time I'll get an interesting run going, only to lose interest again. Rinse repeat.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ilitarist posted:

I'd probably leave negative review for Stellaris after playing ~200 hours or so. But most of this would be coming after an expansion trying the game again. People say it's good, there's a lot of positivity about it, maybe it's fine now?.. No it's not, it's still a slog about waiting for enough minerals and influence to build the next star base.

But arguing that it should cost less is funny. I've got the same intoxication time from $10 bottle of vodka as from $50 bottle of whiskey so whiskey is obviously overpriced.

I think there's some legitimacy in playing a game like Stellaris for 200 hours, realising 'wait the complexity you think the game has doesn't actually exist once you spend the time to really dig under the surface and understand it' and then leaving a review saying 'hey guys maybe don't invest your time in this if you are hoping that by understanding the game mechanics you will come to some grand revelation'.

Destiny is the same from hour 1 to hour 1000 so you just got bored. I think we agree that AC Valhalla would actually be better if it were just half as long.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Antlerhill posted:

Dollars to hours is a dumb metric, but honestly I have the same issue with Stellaris. More than a hundred hours played without really liking the game.

The problem is the game shows so much promise, but once I start playing I just get bored after 3 or 4 hours into a campaign.

I just keep booting it back up every few months thinking this time I'll get an interesting run going, only to lose interest again. Rinse repeat.
Dollars to engagement-hours would be better. Engagement hours being a fluffy term I came up with just now to differentiate two hours of full immersion in, say, Resident Evil, vs. two hours of playing EU4 while watching a movie at the same time.

Of course engagement isn't really the only thing that matters here, especially not minute-to-minute engagement. Your perception of the time spent is probably colored far more by the disappointing end to your campaign, when you realize the game has turned into an unenjoyably slog, even if you were really digging the early parts. Depending on how much you play other Paradox games, high tens/low hundreds of hours played are probably more indicative of how much you want to like the game than how much you actually do.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

what are you doing with your life if you need to watch a movie while you are playing a videogame

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

ilitarist posted:

what are you doing with your life if you need to watch a movie while you are playing a videogame

hard chillin bitch what about you

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I am not man enough to dare to attempt that level of entertainment.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I mean, Paradox games can very easily have a good amount of empty time going on. Waiting for stuff to happen as an OPM in EU, single province count in CK, or uncivilized nation in Vicky. Or having to sit around waiting because your HoI4 endgame war has developed into a total slog in hellish terrain and the game is lagging because it always slows down during endgame, or because you're in the earlygame where you're just waiting for focuses and research to finish while you build factories or something.

I have some sort of video going on in the background a lot of the time when I'm playing HoI4.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I turn off the music and find a youtube playlist for "(insert country/culture here) folk music" or similar.

also browse the forums on my phone

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i've played tons of stellaris and enjoyed it, but only because i modded the hell out of the game. i would still leave a negative review for the base game if i felt compelled to review it for some reason.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ilitarist posted:

I am not man enough to dare to attempt that level of entertainment.
You’re not living if you’re not gaming, watching, posting, and eating at the same time.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Star posted:

How many times are people gonna post negative reviews from people with lots of hours played before we all come to an agreement that it's actually entirely reasonable to end up not liking a game you've sunk a decent amount of time into.

ilitarist posted:

you laugh now but you will change your tune if you ever get a second monitor. I can no longer play Paradox games without some kind of stream or video on the second monitor.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I feel like if you spend more than a couple hours on a game you didn’t like that’s on you

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I feel like if you spend more than a couple hours on a game you didn’t like that’s on you

You're posting this in the paradox grand strategy thread. A thread about games that often take dozens of hours to figure out if they're good, and evolve over time as patches and DLC come out.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I know whether I’m going to like a paradox game within a couple hours yes. It did not take me more than five hours to figure out I do not like hearts of iron.

Playing it a lot and burning out that I understand

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jazerus posted:

i've played tons of stellaris and enjoyed it, but only because i modded the hell out of the game. i would still leave a negative review for the base game if i felt compelled to review it for some reason.

Mod support's a good feature for a game though

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gort posted:

Mod support's a good feature for a game though

sure but stellaris is much more like an elder scrolls game than other paradox games, in that the mod support is the only thing that saves it from being a total trash fire in practice even though the core of a good game is present. a big portion of my mod list consists of things that should just be in the game.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 2, 2021

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I can usually form an opinion on a video game before hour 100, personally.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I've been playing paradox since EU2 and I'd rather play Stellaris than say Sengoku or March of the Eagles.

They've released at least 2 "games" that were tech demos for other things they'd rather make, and I never hear anyone complain about that.

Stellaris never really recovered from the fact that it had multiple movement types during the initial design, and then they decided to go towards MoO2 hyperlanes every one was comfortable with.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
stellaris is well liked outside of here and is pretty easily the best 4x style space game

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i think that speaks more to how dire the alternatives are

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
How I perceived the whole stellaris arc.

Paradox - we are making a cool, not MoO2 derived space 4x.

Fans - awesome.

Fans after release - wait why can't I set up borders or choke points? You mean people can just fly where ever they want in space?

Paradox - okay fine we didn't really have a way of forcing interaction anyway so we'll move towards hyperlanes only.

Fans - why did you break my game? Where is my content? #warpDryve4lyfe #whereDaJumpgates@

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
"fans" isn't one group of people with the same opinions

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
When I said fans I mean every single person who ever played the game full stop.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Stellaris on release was a bad game. It kept being bad until it went lanes only, at which point it became mediocre. Adding back in the other two travel types would not be an improvement unless they put as much work into making them work well as they've put into lanes at this point.

Modded Stellaris was fun until the launcher began preventing heavily modded multiplayer from working, at which point I stopped playing it. I haven't gone back since and I doubt I will. The last DLC seemed like a joke with how bare it was and doesn't exactly inspire confidence in any future DLC.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Grevlek posted:

When I said fans I mean every single person who ever played the game full stop.

That's how the post is written, that somehow the different groups of fans with differing expectations are being inconsistent by wanting different things.

Stellaris is still bland, has boring combat, and way too much pop micro. 5 years after release.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
i dont think its the alternatives being dire i think its just that people like stellaris. it just isnt really a grand strat game and you cant play it constantly as easily as something like eu4, its player numbers have always had it solidly third behind hoi4 and eu4 though. i assume ck3 probably has better player numbers than it with how well it was recieved

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Stux posted:

i dont think its the alternatives being dire i think its just that people like stellaris. it just isnt really a grand strat game and you cant play it constantly as easily as something like eu4, its player numbers have always had it solidly third behind hoi4 and eu4 though. i assume ck3 probably has better player numbers than it with how well it was recieved

if you want a space empire building game, what are the alternatives though

it's, like, ES2, some really user-hostile grog games, and some other MOO clones that are a decade old and weren't good at the time either

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Sword of the Stars :colbert:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Grevlek posted:

MoO2 hyperlanes every one was comfortable with.
MoO2 had hyperlanes?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
the fact it manages to stand out in a very niche genre and have a higher player count than pretty much anything else in the same vein ever did isnt exactly a point against its quality, because assumably given only bad options people would simply continue to not play games of that type as they had been already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Distant Worlds 2!