Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Sickening posted:

He did an incredibly stupid thing for someone sitting in such an important ship. The jump vs cannon thing I understand, as the ui could fix this in a hurry but :ccp:. Taking a random fleet invite in a titan seems ... peak stupid. He either quit in shame, won eve when freed from his titan coffin, or was booted for being top tier dumb. All 3 reasons are good reasons.

I really doubt he was booted. This is not the dumbest way our Titans have died. The fact that a dozen haven’t drifted off tether only to be got dropped during this camp is frankly amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Sickening posted:

He did an incredibly stupid thing for someone sitting in such an important ship. The jump vs cannon thing I understand, as the ui could fix this in a hurry but :ccp:. Taking a random fleet invite in a titan seems ... peak stupid. He either quit in shame, won eve when freed from his titan coffin, or was booted for being top tier dumb. All 3 reasons are good reasons.

if he got kicked just for losing a titan in a stupid way im gonna laugh at his former masters directly to their faces

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
we should not kick such entertainingly stupid people we should cherish them

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Singing on comms for being stupid should've never been abolished.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
IIRC member corps would eat fines from the alliance for losing rorqs in stupid fashion - do those fines extend to losing supers/titans in dumb ways, as well?

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

quiet night sucking down moon goo in querious so far. we're hoping to get a few more cyno kills to round the evening out

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Indeed, even the foolish of mind are valuable to the swarm, for they teach others what not to do.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I understand everyone hates goons so they wouldnt want to help us, but why tf hasnt some small ragtag 40man corp/alliance tried to snag a few systems off of PH? Seems like a pretty sure thing you could get those systems for at least a few months and probably make your money back on anything you take from the structures that die.

maybe my misconception is null systems = money.

But even if you dont setup any of your own systems, or try to claim any, I would think youd be pretty safe in the far away north east regions that PH owns while the entire alliance is committed to delve.

The sad question is: why bother taking the space?

Small ragtag group like that could probably daytrip wormholes for more Isk and less investment.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
form some dumb large cartel and strip hisec of all trit

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
well, we got our asses kicked for a bit but then there was a mysterious wolf/ishtar kill out of nowhere and that was cool as hell

querious is still where the players play and dreams become legends

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Querious Eye for the Flycatcher

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

🎵toss a coin to your rifter...🎶

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Potato Salad posted:

🎵toss a coin to your rifter...🎶

Oh deklein of plenty

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Horsebanger posted:

form some dumb large cartel and strip hisec of all trit

The next Great War will be fought by all of the null players with procurers and orcas in HS trying to starve the enemy of trit.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

if he got kicked just for losing a titan in a stupid way im gonna laugh at his former masters directly to their faces

Hell, John Hartley is still around and he caused (directly or indirectly) the death of way more supers than this dude.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Someone educate me on a few things.

Went on a trip in an Interceptor and was confused by what I saw in Fountain. Why are there so many systems with no Ihubs? Why are most of the systems empty? I think I saw more goons in the "conquered" systems than papi.

Isn't it in their best interest to install an Ihub? Is there some kind of special skill/ship needed to install them? Why don't they have nooblets installing them, ratting, building, etc? The index on most of these systems is nothing.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

ASAPI posted:

Went on a trip in an Interceptor and was confused by what I saw in Fountain. Why are there so many systems with no Ihubs? Why are most of the systems empty? I think I saw more goons in the "conquered" systems than papi.

Isn't it in their best interest to install an Ihub? Is there some kind of special skill/ship needed to install them? Why don't they have nooblets installing them, ratting, building, etc? The index on most of these systems is nothing.

Likely due to the fact that they're too busy accomplishing very little in Delve while a couple of the major partners in their coalition are having to redeploy to their home space to put out fires.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ASAPI posted:

Fountain doesn't really belong to hostiles right now. Hostiles did go through and bulldoze the place, but they didn't stick around. INITdot did go through and redrop a bunch of ihubs, but that was less because they wanted the space in particular and more to reverse the work of hostiles and ridicule them.

The reason no one has dropped ihubs in Fountain is because most of Fountain is worthless. It has terrible truesec, has centrally located NPC space (which allows hostile players a safe place from which to hotdrop people,) and the capital geography is terrible, so it's difficult to safeguard an area for PVE.

That being said, Fountain is even MORE worthless now, because CCP utterly castrated many forms of nullsec PVE. Between mining sites producing a pittance of minerals, ratting being made nonviable with the dynamic bounty system, and moons having their T1 minerals removed, there's very little reason to do PVE in nullsec entirely, outside of a few NPC nullsec regions with good missions. There's a reason people are talking about abyssal deadspace and planning unironic highsec mining ventures -- it's because nullsec was dunked on, hard.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Fountain doesn't really belong to hostiles right now. Hostiles did go through and bulldoze the place, but they didn't stick around. INITdot did go through and redrop a bunch of ihubs, but that was less because they wanted the space in particular and more to reverse the work of hostiles and ridicule them.

The reason no one has dropped ihubs in Fountain is because most of Fountain is worthless. It has terrible truesec, has centrally located NPC space (which allows hostile players a safe place from which to hotdrop people,) and the capital geography is terrible, so it's difficult to safeguard an area for PVE.

That being said, Fountain is even MORE worthless now, because CCP utterly castrated many forms of nullsec PVE. Between mining sites producing a pittance of minerals, ratting being made nonviable with the dynamic bounty system, and moons having their T1 minerals removed, there's very little reason to do PVE in nullsec entirely, outside of a few NPC nullsec regions with good missions. There's a reason people are talking about abyssal deadspace and planning unironic highsec mining ventures -- it's because nullsec was dunked on, hard.

Ok, I get all that. Delve wasn't exactly populated other than T5Z. There wasn't even a gate camp when I left 1DQ.

I'm still confused about the "strategy" being used. Goons tell all their nooblets to get to 1DQ, via death clone if necessary. The Goon controlled parts of Delve has people everywhere, the papi part of delve is just... empty... Why isn't papi having people live and develop the systems in Delve (or at least Delve adjacent)? Wouldn't that allow them to flex their superior numbers more easily?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ASAPI posted:

Ok, I get all that. Delve wasn't exactly populated other than T5Z. There wasn't even a gate camp when I left 1DQ.

I'm still confused about the "strategy" being used. Goons tell all their nooblets to get to 1DQ, via death clone if necessary. The Goon controlled parts of Delve has people everywhere, the papi part of delve is just... empty... Why isn't papi having people live and develop the systems in Delve (or at least Delve adjacent)? Wouldn't that allow them to flex their superior numbers more easily?

Of the hostiles, only TEST has expressed any interest in living in Delve. Other hostiles like phorde, NCdot, FRT, etc. are only here to beat on us. Of note here is that TEST already controls a huge amount of space; most of the galactic south, while having much fewer people than us, alone. Furthermore, they want to control both their existing space AND our space, for some reason. This doesn't really work with the current game; there's a reason we only highly developed half of Delve.

Right now, Delve is a war zone. If hostiles try to build more than token PVE support structures, we'll blow them up. They can't actually settle Delve until they've driven us out.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Of the hostiles, only TEST has expressed any interest in living in Delve. Other hostiles like phorde, NCdot, FRT, etc. are only here to beat on us. Of note here is that TEST already controls a huge amount of space; most of the galactic south, while having much fewer people than us, alone. Furthermore, they want to control both their existing space AND our space, for some reason. This doesn't really work with the current game; there's a reason we only highly developed half of Delve.

Right now, Delve is a war zone. If hostiles try to build more than token PVE support structures, we'll blow them up. They can't actually settle Delve until they've driven us out.

Again, I understand the words you are saying.

WHY is TEST using this "strategy"? It literally makes no sense. They aren't being slow and methodical (if they were, systems would be populated/used), they aren't effective in "attack only mode", their entire "plan" (which seems to be camp 2-3 gates) hinges on having the support of the entire alliance. Something that large and loose has an expiration date.

Does anyone know what the gently caress test is trying to accomplish? So far this "war" seems to be a re-enactment of the Emu War.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ASAPI posted:

WHY is TEST using this "strategy"? It literally makes no sense. They aren't being slow and methodical (if they were, systems would be populated/used), they aren't effective in "attack only mode", their entire "plan" (which seems to be camp 2-3 gates) hinges on having the support of the entire alliance. Something that large and loose has an expiration date.

Does anyone know what the gently caress test is trying to accomplish? So far this "war" seems to be a re-enactment of the Emu War.

we have no idea

theyre employing the good old american strategy of "we have no idea what we're doing and neither do our enemies"

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ASAPI posted:

I made almost this exact same post a couple of months ago. This war completely confuses me.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ASAPI posted:

Hostiles' general war strategy has been rooted in a massive misunderstanding as to who we are. In their eyes, we are a barely-cohesive group of Johnny-Come-Lately krabs that shrink at the very idea of having our krab paradise jostled, even a little bit. Basically, they think that we're the old Northern Coalition (no dot), who, upon having their krab paradise jostled, just a little bit, swiftly failure cascaded.

To that end, their primary objective has been to try to scare us into failure cascading. They did this by picking at our periphery first, like Fountain. The goal there was to cause one of two reactions: either we'd panic deploy our entire supercapital force there, or we'd abandon Initiative at the first sign of trouble, causing them to split from us. (Hostiles are obsessed with trying to cleave Initiative out of our coalition.) However, that wasn't what happened; Initiative, a group who has historically always had a fairly loose grip on any sov they acquired, just shrugged and evacced, and we let Fountain fall without a fight. Deploying supers up to Fountain like that would have left Delve completely open on the flank, and only Delve matters.

They tried this again in Querious and Period Basis. It worked just as well at scaring us. Only Delve matters.

Then, they tried dropping a bunch of keepstars. The goal here, again, was to scare us. Vily, one of the leads of the hostile coalition and FC in TEST, claimed that we'd drop 30% of our people the moment they had a keepstar in range of Delve. (This didn't happen.) To that end, they used the most conservative tactics possible; conquer a system, wait for it to reach sov 3, and drop a keepstar under cover of a cyno jammer.

I could go on and on, but it's fairly easy to tell that their entire strategy is to scare us into leaving. They were never prepared to have an actual war with combat; M2-XFE is proof of that. They've been left floundering since they, apparently, can't scare us no matter what they do.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There's no chance TEST will be able to hold Delve after the people who carry them go back home, especially if they try to hold their old space as well.

That said, as previously stated there no reason to PvE in nullsec space at the moment. Not because of the war, but because CCP has absolutely gutted the ability to make money in nullsec for the average player who doesn't own an industrial empire. If you're a single-account player right now you're better off having a combat pilot in nullsec and an abyssal running or AFK mining alt in highsec.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The barest second a single significant member of the invading coalition goes home because they've been at war for a year, we win.

Then Test gets to deal with a Goonswarm that has a year of experience fighting 3:1 odds.

They're hosed. It doesn't matter what happens to Goon space. We've been kicked out of space before and survived. We do not abandon allies. We have wealthy-as-gently caress members willing to capitalize the alliance such that our moon goo reserves can be sold under favorable conditions; a benefit in flexibility the invaders do not have the pleasure of exercising right now to srp ships.

The invaders caught the mail truck. Good on them. Now they don't know how to let go without immediately getting invaded by barbarians who have spent a year learning how to effectively fight deeply outnumbered.

Oh, and Mister Vee is back.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If the successfully evict us, they die.

If they take too long invading and a single meta coalition member goes home, they die.

If they keep getting rolled back - and that's been happening slowly with ihub fights - they die.

There isn't a win condition available to them. In every circumstance imaginable, they die.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I said this back in October, but I think TEST's best move is to leave and try to fortify themselves as much as possible in the space they have. Try to ply any neighbors with sexual favors to assist in their defense, etc. They really don't have a chance if their coalition falls apart.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i'm more surprised that nobody on the papi side has pulled out entirely. i thought brave would have ditched by now since they seem to be getting their poo poo kicked in the most.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i'm more surprised that nobody on the papi side has pulled out entirely. i thought brave would have ditched by now since they seem to be getting their poo poo kicked in the most.

I don't think BRAVE leaving would mean much of a difference, honestly. They're kind of a wet fart. :v:

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

They might've wanted to after M2- but they're supers were trapped so they don't really have a choice :p

If we do lose delve I'm looking forward to retaking and rebuilding afterwards, seems like it would be pretty fun dunking on TEST

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

can't fully leave when your entire alliance's finances are dependent upon test who will cut you off if you don't give them numbers. dunk got a plausible case for sending a lot of people home, and jumped on it, but the fact brave is actually poo poo means that the fire in his backyard wasn't just pretext - it's a legitimate problem and they are seriously struggling to contain it.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug
Test Military Command: "We have a plan!"

1. Fite Gons. Gons will evac!
2. :lol:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
You only have to look at most of the battle reports over the last few months to see who's been doing the heavy lifting in TEST's war and it isn't TEST

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

My brain has issues wrapping itself around the mentality.

papi's main strength is in their numbers, but they refuse to fully use those numbers. I (possibly the most crap Eve "player" in existence) can fly throw their "conquered/controlled" space with absolutely no challenge. Their line members know this, their leaders know this. We know they read this thread. We tell them EXACTLY what they are doing wrong.

Why does anyone willingly stay with an alliance like that?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think the attacking side's plan is to use their number advantage to win fleet fights, take over sov, and slowly kill structures to cut off income. Eventually the defender numbers and alliance income would drop to the point where they can start poking at the big market hub and make the defenders try to take a really bad fight to try to win (aka feeding trillions of isk to stop a keepstar from anchoring) or give up and evacuate.

It was probably working too until they hosed up a big fight and got everyone to log back in. Seems like there is a good chance it could start working again but they sure like to occasionally gently caress up so who knows.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I don't think BRAVE leaving would mean much of a difference, honestly. They're kind of a wet fart. :v:

ncdot or horde leaving would kill this war

everyone else is trash tier for papi

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

PathAsc posted:

Oh Vale of plenty

Bl00dyAngel
Dec 23, 2020

ASAPI posted:

Why does anyone willingly stay with an alliance like that?

The answer is content. That's as far as the train of thought goes for many people these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

yeah goonswarm of old didn't even boot people for losing titans to SMASH