Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Kind of strange, is it a large difference? I would have expected that the Lifecoach method of overthinking everything to be really good for playing Defect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

KonvexKonkav posted:

Kind of strange, is it a large difference? I would have expected that the Lifecoach method of overthinking everything to be really good for playing Defect.

Ironclad was 62%, Silent was 64%, Defect was 56% IIRC. It's more likely to be a function of play style - Coach prefers physical Silent to poison, and likewise with the Defect's Orb and physical variants. But physical Defect just isn't as good even with the buffs that at least make it viable.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I don't get dickish vibes from Jorbs at all. He has a dry sense of humor and seems like a generally pleasant, if low-energy guy.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I'm not saying I'd handle staring into the howling void of twitch chat for 8 hours a day better, but he can get dickish when people ask dumb questions/disagree with him.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Is Jorbs the one with the moderators who will ban you if you suggest plays?

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I like him but he gets really annoyed when people ask him why he did something - which is often understandable since a lot if those questions are about really basic poo poo like prolonging a fight to get your relics to the right number. At the same time, it seems kind of his job as a streamer to deal with that in a fashion that doesn't insult his audience.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
I would have imagined that this forum of all places would respect a streamer with a "read the room and the faq before posting" policy

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yes, he has a pretty strict 'no backseating' rule.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yes. Jorbs' chat has rules, including a "don't backseat" rule that pops up when you join chat and is impossible to miss. People who somehow miss it anyway get probated. When people in Twitch are just shooting the poo poo and joking around, he often joins in and has fun with it.

I'm fine with the backseating rule. Having people who are worse than you at something try to tell you what to do is annoying, and I'm not gonna fault the guy for getting abrasive when people do it. It's like when people who've never accomplished anything in a gym try to second guess me and tell me what I should be doing for my workouts. poo poo's annoying, and would be even more annoying if I were a world-class athlete. He's streaming his play, not crowdsourcing everybody else's plays.

Shine fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 1, 2021

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Jorbs is a thin-skinned narcissist.

So many of the excuses that people make for Jorbs fall apart when you look at other popular Spire streamers. No one else has such a hostile relationship with their chat. Not even close. No one else inspires arguments every time their name comes up.

There isn't a conspiracy against him. People react to him differently because he behaves differently.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Yoshi Wins posted:

So many of the excuses that people make for Jorbs fall apart when you look at other popular Spire streamers. No one else has such a hostile relationship with their chat. Not even close. No one else inspires arguments every time their name comes up.

There isn't a conspiracy against him. People react to him differently because he behaves differently.

This is a weird post. Who was even arguing about Jorbs?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Act 1 I go for the path that had the most elites, and pivot to most fires if things go south.

If the green key is tied with another path for most elites, I go green key path if I'm facing Hexaghost and normal path otherwise.

I get the red key act 3 everytime, whenever it's most convenient. I get the blue key act 3 every time except if I get offered a completely useless artifact earlier, like darkstone periscope or whatever it's called.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I've been trying to avoid stuff like hallway-hallway-?-elite sequences without any fires to break them up but it's not practical sometimes. Usually when I get the key early it's when I have two fires in succession with not much in between them.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Zore posted:

This is a weird post. Who was even arguing about Jorbs?

The preceding several posts were explicitly about whether Jorbs' dickishness was within normal parameters.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Yoshi Wins posted:

To what conspiracy are you referring?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
To get away from Jorbschat for a moment, a completely unrelated streamer just posted his analysis of over 200 games played:

https://www.reddit.com/r/slaythespire/comments/la0x75/debrief_from_my_third_annual_100_hearts_in_30/

The take on the Blade Dance buff is interesting, seems like quite an outlier amongst streamers.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

That's a very good and detailed writeup, thanks for sharing.

Presuming of course that it needs fixed in the first place, I'm not sure how you'd fix Blade Dance with just minor tweaks. Maybe do something crazy like bump it to 2 mana for 5(6?) shivs? That might be easier to balance and prevents it from becoming highly efficient deck-filler.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I just want the patch on Switch. 2020/21 has already taken so much. Give me this one thing. :smith:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Chaotic Flame posted:

I just want the patch on Switch. 2020/21 has already taken so much. Give me this one thing. :smith:

Same but iOS. Along with iCloud sync.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Llamadeus posted:

To get away from Jorbschat for a moment, a completely unrelated streamer just posted his analysis of over 200 games played:

https://www.reddit.com/r/slaythespire/comments/la0x75/debrief_from_my_third_annual_100_hearts_in_30/

The take on the Blade Dance buff is interesting, seems like quite an outlier amongst streamers.

Yeah, this is a very good write up. Gotta give the man his due.

I think I agree about Blade Dance. It feels like it's almost never wrong to take it. Maybe it should be an uncommon. There isn't a common that pushes you to poison builds as hard as Blade Dance pushes you to shiv builds. Yeah, Deadly Poison is a decent card, but Blade Dance has a much higher potential for impact in a synergistic deck.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Shivs are underrated IMO. Like if you hit poison synergy early it’s obviously better but there’s lots of strong shiv synergies and your deck isn’t trashed if you don’t hit a catalyst. The only thing is a18+ you have to be really careful leaning in too early because laguvin will destroy you

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I play on iPad though so idk anything about the new buffs. 4x3 damage on a 1 mana common sounds dumb lol

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Blade Dance is often a slam pick for me now. 12 damage for 1 energy is great, 16 for 1 is fantastic (on a Common!!!), and BD + Shuriken and/or Kunai is basically an instant-win. I can certainly see the "too good to be fun" argument, though I find a too-good attack to be more fun than, say, Wraith Form. I had a deck yesterday that had poo poo for damage (on Switch, so without the recent buffs, and I didn't have any "god drat" damage synergies) but I still won handily, albeit sluggishly, because I lucked into 3 Wraith Forms, at which point it didn't matter if it took me like 6 turns to deal 300 damage. Wraith Form is a boring type of OP, but Blade Dance is fun OP.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
Following up on my Pressure Points post from earlier, the game must have known I was looking to try it again since I got a tailor made run to try it again. Got a Like Water / PP combo in the first store, another Like Water like a battle later and a second PP before the first boss. Ended up with 6 PP and 3 Like Water (one from a mirror) by the end which made me basically invulnerable to nearly anything, but the Heart.

That said, it's unfortunate they didn't bother expanding PP out more than the one card. It's a fun take on her deck where you don't have to do the "will Wrath form kill me" math every other turn, but I guess sitting in Calm forever defeats the purpose of playing her.

Re: the Silent discussion, I just started playing shortly after the Shiv buff patch, so not sure how it used to be, but I will say poison builds feel so much weaker compared to Shivs. Blade Dance synergizes with so many play X cards this turn relics that I will gravitate to shiv generating cards out the gate since it's way more likely to be viable late game. Poison feels like it needs a lot of specific cards to get rolling, and if you're scaling it with something like envenom you're still going to want shivs to get the poison train rolling.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Shivs are underrated IMO. Like if you hit poison synergy early it’s obviously better but there’s lots of strong shiv synergies and your deck isn’t trashed if you don’t hit a catalyst. The only thing is a18+ you have to be really careful leaning in too early because laguvin will destroy you

Blade dance just works with lots of other cards and relics for the silent that it ends up being really good where it is right now. I'm kind of mixed on how I feel about it, because I think it's kind of a crutch that is propping up of bad design for the silent otherwise. But at the same time, I think it's nice that we're able to use cards like choke, accuracy, evenom, and thousand cuts and make viable decks now, and wrist blade is not a terrible boss relic. Like, reverting the change would put a lot of silent cards back into planets aligning decks amounts of usefulness.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Got momentum back! This is A6 Defect

My key choices were picking the pandora box after act 2 instead of the goop that gives you energy but no gold. Got some lucky swaps there. Bought chemical X in the first shop with no X cards, I'd never done that before but to beat the heart I need block early.

Speaking of which, wow that event where you get the intangible cards is really good for me against the heart: I'm realizing that all my decks eventually get somewhere but I lack early turn damage mitigation against the heart.

What are some other early turn heart stoppers that I may be overlooking, besides piercing wail, intangible event, and chemical X + reinforced body?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i dont think id ever refuse the apparition event. or at least i havent come across a good reason yet

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

pyromance posted:

Blade dance just works with lots of other cards and relics for the silent that it ends up being really good where it is right now. I'm kind of mixed on how I feel about it, because I think it's kind of a crutch that is propping up of bad design for the silent otherwise. But at the same time, I think it's nice that we're able to use cards like choke, accuracy, evenom, and thousand cuts and make viable decks now, and wrist blade is not a terrible boss relic. Like, reverting the change would put a lot of silent cards back into planets aligning decks amounts of usefulness.

Actually silent is ftw

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i stopped playing silent because it felt like i had to play twice as many cards to get the same result as the other two classes (at the time). throw something like well-laid plans on top of that and it was getting tedious

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Silent is my favorite. Feels like she gets the most fun combos

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Verviticus posted:

i dont think id ever refuse the apparition event. or at least i havent come across a good reason yet

i sometimes turn down the apparition event and sometimes pass on wraith form because it is not always fun to just win because you got intangible again

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ehhh not really sure I get the appeal of snecko e-

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Jorbs deciding to aim for quantity of heart wins in a given span of time, but not really speedrunning, is at least a relatively interesting take compared to the speedrunners, winraters, and winstreakers. Not really sure what gap he'd fill otherwise; he even rejects winstreaking as a Thing.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
First a20 win but heartless because I wasn’t paying attention at last chest. Not really exciting in any way I just hit 3 wraith forms and an apotheosis lol. Had a much cooler panache start and shivs deck that died on 2nd act 3 boss because I got time eater first

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
ooh, cursed tome. hmm... 20 HP? eh I'm about to hit a campfire, I can afford to take the damage and rest it off

click click click click

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Straight White Shark posted:

ooh, cursed tome. hmm... 20 HP? eh I'm about to hit a campfire, I can afford to take the damage and rest it off

click click click click

I savescum when this happens to me

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is that an autopiloted upgrade or something, or what

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

is that an autopiloted upgrade or something, or what

im guessing its what i did the other day, which is you just auto pilot click the same line and take a bunch of damage and do not take the reward. i also save scummed this.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
going through the entire event and taking the book deals 21 HP, which was fatal to me because I didn't bother thinking about it beyond "oh my HP is low but I have a campfire coming up anyhow"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

On a related note, the most honorable course of action at the Scrap Ooze event is to start at full health and click until you are dead.