Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Wasn’t the entire point of the Council that they sucked and were keeping the Slayers down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Wasn’t the entire point of the Council that they sucked and were keeping the Slayers down?

It's been awhile since I paid much attention, but basically the council sucked for all sorts of reasons.

Willow pointed it out late in the series that "So, there's only one Slayer at a time to fight literally all of this on her own because a bunch of old dudes a long time ago decided that was how it should be? That's stupid and I'm magical enough to unfuck this idea.", and then magics it up so that there can be many Slayers active at once.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Cleretic posted:

Rachel Bloom put every single musical number from the show on Youtube, I'd suggest starting with one of those. Which one is very dependent on what you want to show.

My go-to, and the one that got me into it, is Group Hang. It's spoiler-free if that matters, extremely funny, relatable from several angles, and also displays the show's sensibilities by having a verse about an anecdote awkwardly bombing and the entire back end of the song instead devolving into being baffled at how weirdly culturally insensitive the restaurant they're in is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7FC_EK44Rw

Something I appreciated was that it pointed out that mentally healthy people can still benefit from therapy, you don't have to be actually crazy, because Josh starts seeing a therapist towards the end, and when Rebecca asks about that Josh tells her he hasn't got any specific diagnosis, he's just introspective, which is why he's been in so many failed relationships, because he doesn't like to be alone with his thoughts because they can get intrusive.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

the_steve posted:

It's been awhile since I paid much attention, but basically the council sucked for all sorts of reasons.

Willow pointed it out late in the series that "So, there's only one Slayer at a time to fight literally all of this on her own because a bunch of old dudes a long time ago decided that was how it should be? That's stupid and I'm magical enough to unfuck this idea.", and then magics it up so that there can be many Slayers active at once.

The old dudes were a really long time ago, like dawn of man stuff. It's one sacrifice to protect the tribe from the monsters in the dark. Issues of scale are unsurprising.

Not sure Willow activating every potential slayer in the world is any less hosed up an idea tbh. It's a horrible and short life for most, and if you do survive you have to feature in an awful comic book series.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The weirdest thing about all the extra slayers showing up at the end of Buffy was the nerd friend from Freaks and Geeks being one of them and looking exactly the same even though it was like 8 years later.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

The old dudes were a really long time ago, like dawn of man stuff. It's one sacrifice to protect the tribe from the monsters in the dark. Issues of scale are unsurprising.

Not sure Willow activating every potential slayer in the world is any less hosed up an idea tbh. It's a horrible and short life for most, and if you do survive you have to feature in an awful comic book series.

It's not like they have to *live* like Slayers, though. The only reason Buffy had to face all the vampires and demons ever is because she was the only one (or at most two)- now there's like hundreds, she (and they) can now decide how to use their powers. All it just means is they get the super strength and such.

And the old dudes were pretty much what became the Council, at least that's what I figured.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's not like they have to *live* like Slayers, though. The only reason Buffy had to face all the vampires and demons ever is because she was the only one (or at most two)- now there's like hundreds, she (and they) can now decide how to use their powers. All it just means is they get the super strength and such.

And the old dudes were pretty much what became the Council, at least that's what I figured.

By the time of the show the watcher's council are a bunch of British boarding school chaps many thousands of years removed from the African tribesmen who created the first slayer. So I guess, in as much as Tutankhamen "pretty much became" the Presidency of the United States?

Faith is a decent example of why having a bunch of super-powered young women running around the world unsupervised can be a bad idea. The slayer wasn't presented as a good system for vampire-management, but it wasn't something anyone with sense would want to fiddle with and risk breaking either. Though I'm sure some clever sod in the council was suggesting drowning and resuscitating slayers over and over to create more slayers after what happened with Buffy. What could go wrong?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The weirdest thing about all the extra slayers showing up at the end of Buffy was the nerd friend from Freaks and Geeks being one of them and looking exactly the same even though it was like 8 years later.

It was like a year and a half later

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

sassassin posted:

Faith is a decent example of why having a bunch of super-powered young women running around the world unsupervised can be a bad idea. The slayer wasn't presented as a good system for vampire-management, but it wasn't something anyone with sense would want to fiddle with and risk breaking either. Though I'm sure some clever sod in the council was suggesting drowning and resuscitating slayers over and over to create more slayers after what happened with Buffy. What could go wrong?
Yeah, all those women running around unsupervised:ohdear:

Faith is a pretty good example of hosed up then council was. Instead of helping her deal with her issues they wanted to lock her up In a box for ever. Because that was what the council was about : controlling women.

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015
When I was younger Faith's lifestyle seemed like a cool normal grown up life before she started murdering people and had a breakdown but as an adult it's like, why is this 17-year-old girl living alone in a motel room? Where she can't afford rent because she doesn't have a job because she trains and fights vampires all the time? Obviously the Watcher's Council don't give a poo poo about her living conditions, but why don't Joyce or Giles take her in? It's implied that Faith has been sexually abused and she was certainly physically abused by her mother (who is dead, and her father is either also dead or was never a presence in her life). I know keeping Faith isolated was important for plot and thematic reasons but geez Giles you let Spike live in your bathtub you couldn't let Faith have the couch?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

the nerd friend from Freaks and Geeks

The most anonymizing description ever given.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
They meant Sarah Hagan who played Millie in 'Freaks and Geeks' and appeared in 10 episodes of 'Buffy' around two years later.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0353247/?ref_=tt_cl_t14

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Oh good. I was like, "Martin Starr played a slayer?"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, all those women running around unsupervised:ohdear:

Super-powered ones, yes.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

IshmaelZarkov posted:

One day I'll work out how to get people to watch Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and not be immediately turned off by the title, premise, or structure.

A musical sitcom about a 'Crazy Ex-Gilfriend" dealing with mental health issues is possibly the least appealing show you could pitch to me, but I love it so much and want others to love it too.
Is it worth watching if you don't like musicals?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sarcopenia posted:

I would say no. The musical numbers are pretty integrated.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

sassassin posted:

Super-powered ones, yes.

Yes, the mind boggles when you think of the things that these women might do if a man isn't there to supervise her.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Because Buffy was also ultimately the director's wank fantasy.

A lot of Whedon's stuff has aged pretty badly given what we're not longer able to ignore, Firefly in particular. (though even at the time, people were pointing out a supposedly half Chinese galaxy had very few Chinese people)

There was an in universe explanation for this though. All the Chinese people were on the other side of the galaxy.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

oldpainless posted:

There was an in universe explanation for this though. All the Chinese people were on the other side of the galaxy.

That sounds incredibly racist.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

oldpainless posted:

I read that too, I think Whedon called it the "Han Solo" quadrant.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

sassassin posted:

Super-powered ones, yes.

There's really one one mention of that going wrong, and it's the Angel season 5 episode "Damage."

A formally-potential-but-now-activated slayer is in a psychiatric hospital. She was abused and, as a result became mentally-ill and violent. Then she suddenly got super Strength, as well as a bunch of crazy memories/dreams of the former Sayers, compounding her mental illness.

She missed a dose of her medicine that mellows her out/tames her strength and she breaks out and kills a few people.

Alhazred posted:

Yes, the mind boggles when you think of the things that these women might do if a man isn't there to supervise her.

I don't think it's so much "oh no, what will these girls do without a man to instruct them!" as much as it is hundreds, perhaps thousands(?) of young women now have super powers without knowing anything about it. It's not like Buffy et all had every potential slayer in Sunnydale getting trained. There's bound to be issues, if nothing else just simple accidents where someone injuries or possibly kills someone else just because they don't realize they were granted super strength. I know it's said in Angel and in the comics that they do spend a lot of time trying to find all of them and teach them, but several must be missed or just have no desire to fight evil.

The example above is sort of a "worst case scenario," but there were bound to be other problems.

I agree the Council sucked all sorts of rear end, though.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 18:46 on Feb 2, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does Whedon still have fans? I can’t imagine a lot of people drawn to the good qualities of his work would be very accepting of his bad behavior. And boy do the bad qualities of his work really stick out.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Does Whedon still have fans? I can’t imagine a lot of people drawn to the good qualities of his work would be very accepting of his bad behavior. And boy do the bad qualities of his work really stick out.

Absolutely. Why do you think they keep hiring him for the highest profile projects?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm sure there are still plenty of dumbasses out there still holding out hope that Firefly will get a second season

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't think it's so much "oh no, what will these girls do without a man to instruct them!" as much as it is hundreds, perhaps thousands(?) of young women now have super powers without knowing anything about it.
The ending montage shows that they are somehow aware that they have super powers. Like, the whole point of the finale is that the women and girls should get to decide for themselves what they should do with their powers. Which, by the way, is that they get stronger. We're not talking Miracle Man levels of power where, if unchecked, they could reshape the world in their image.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Absolutely. Why do you think they keep hiring him for the highest profile projects?

I don't know if that's the joke, but he hasn't made anything since his wife published that letter about him cheating on her and preying on his employees. He got fired from/"quit" that Victorian Buffy series for HBO last year.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I don't know if that's the joke, but he hasn't made anything since his wife published that letter about him cheating on her and preying on his employees. He got fired from/"quit" that Victorian Buffy series for HBO last year.

He also directed the version of Justice League that HBO is trying to erase.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm sure there are still plenty of dumbasses out there still holding out hope that Firefly will get a second season

Even if the stars aligned and some studio made it happen, I’m pretty certain the entire cast would refuse to work with Adam Baldwin. I recall reading somewhere that even back then they essentially treated him as “racist grandpa” and he’s only gotten exponentially worse since.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alhazred posted:

He also directed the version of Justice League that HBO is trying to erase.

I didn't realize his wife's letter was published months before Justice League was released. He also did a short film as a fundraiser for Planned Parenthood that same month, lol.

I'm a little surprised he hasn't tried the "I'm a victim of cancel culture" that other lovely male feminists have tried once they get found out, but maybe he's got more dirty laundry waiting.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

hawowanlawow posted:

dracula aged just fine except for van helsing's optimism about Texas joining the union
That was Renfield, who to be fair had just had his skull opened up.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Didn't he also retcon Firefly to claim that River and Simon Tam were half-Chinese?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I didn't realize his wife's letter was published months before Justice League was released. He also did a short film as a fundraiser for Planned Parenthood that same month, lol.

I'm a little surprised he hasn't tried the "I'm a victim of cancel culture" that other lovely male feminists have tried once they get found out, but maybe he's got more dirty laundry waiting.

I think he hasn't tried that because 1) It goes against the image of himself that he likes to market, where he's one of the Woke Good Ones
and 2) He's probably hoping the fanboys (emphasis on boys) will do their part to memoryhole it all if he lays low long enough and doesn't raise a stink about how he's been cancelled.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Sarcopenia posted:

The muscial numbers aren't really traditional musical numbers.

The Sexy Getting Ready Song is one of the first episode, non-spoilery songs, so it's a reasonable litmus test. If you get a chuckle from this, you'll like the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJmWuNKabtM

There's a lot of genre parody songs and whatnot. Pretty solid overall.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Anyone remember the last Irish guy in the universe in Firefly? What was up with that guy?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
All Irish people are criminals. The character was a criminal. Therefore the character was Irish.

Whedon logic.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Iron Crowned posted:

About that,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVU8z8h00jI

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

the_steve posted:

2) He's probably hoping the fanboys (emphasis on boys) will do their part to memoryhole it all if he lays low long enough and doesn't raise a stink about how he's been cancelled.

Not only looks like Louis CK, but steals his defence.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Just make a Firefly sequel without Whedon, set in in a frontier town. Have actual Chinese people in it. Characters from the original series can drop in as cameos.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Write actual dialogue instead of one-liners, have a cast that isn't full of the writer's jailbait wank fantasies, and lose all the rape stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

But more Vancouver-accented Chinese phrases delivered with an attempted American old-west dialect on top of it, please.