Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Some GPUs, like the 3090, have VRMs on both sides. I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case for yours, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Fallom posted:

Backplates act as heat sinks, so yes

And the 6900XT is an incredibly dense 7nm part, so without active cooling it'll run hot. Check online for reference temps, but idling at 50C if there's no fan activity isn't surprising at all.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
found a shot without the plate online, there's definitely some stuff there. it cools down pretty quick after it idles at least

also, https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/57734213

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Zotix posted:

I had a zotac 3090 in my cart earlier today, but didn't pull the trigger. I really don't want to pay 40% more for 15% gain vs the 3080. Just can't justify it.
No, it doesn't make sense. But 3080s are even harder to get than 3090s which a major reason some of us just went with non-gouge 3090s.

Hell, 3070s are going for 50% over 3080 MSRP on ones that you can actually buy :stare:

It's insanity.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

slidebite posted:

No, it doesn't make sense. But 3080s are even harder to get than 3090s which a major reason some of us just went with non-gouge 3090s.

Hell, 3070s are going for 50% over 3080 MSRP on ones that you can actually buy :stare:

It's insanity.

I'm just going to bide my time until I get get a newegg raffle. Or be in the right spot when an announcement goes out in the discord. The 3080s are so much rarer than the 70s and 90s.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah i was choosing between 800 euro 5700xt, 1000+ 3070/6800, 1300+ 3080 (6800xt doesn't exist) and 1800+ 3090 lmao. this 1250 6900xt was a total surprise to me

market's insane(ly inconsistent)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

People tell me the PCB is way too hot but think of all the money I'm saving on heating bills this winter just by putting my feet up on the case!

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I did manage to get my hands on a 3080 FE, but the full blast fan noise is real high pitched and annoying. Can someone walk me through how to set it at a lower max and how to test if that'll keep the temps 'safe?' Alternately I suppose I will also accept instructions on how to physically adjust the fan to make less noise. But I would feel pretty nervous about opening it up and slapping an AIO on there, since I've never done that before

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have an MSI 3090 (and an MSI motherboard for that matter).

Is there any reason to download the MSI Dragon Center control gizmo?

I just have vanilla Nvidia drivers and everything else just Windows 10 supplied for the motherboard. The card is already factory overclocked and no desire to try and push it faster and super quiet.. so not sure if I am missing out on anything? :shrug:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

slidebite posted:

I have an MSI 3090 (and an MSI motherboard for that matter).

Is there any reason to download the MSI Dragon Center control gizmo?

I just have vanilla Nvidia drivers and everything else just Windows 10 supplied for the motherboard. The card is already factory overclocked and no desire to try and push it faster and super quiet.. so not sure if I am missing out on anything? :shrug:

It's just a more bloated version of anything you can already do in MSI Afterburner, so no.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Jinnigan posted:

I did manage to get my hands on a 3080 FE, but the full blast fan noise is real high pitched and annoying. Can someone walk me through how to set it at a lower max and how to test if that'll keep the temps 'safe?' Alternately I suppose I will also accept instructions on how to physically adjust the fan to make less noise. But I would feel pretty nervous about opening it up and slapping an AIO on there, since I've never done that before
Sounds like coil whine if it's high pitched? Is it like an electrical rattle?

Some people claim you can basically break in your GPU and run it for a while to make it go away, so you could try running Furmark's stress test (with supervision in case temps get too high) for an hour or more. No results guaranteed.

Undervolting isn't guaranteed to fix coil whine, but you can just do a quick basic test in Afterburner and lower the general curve and see if anything changes in Furmark.

I've written about GPU undervolting a bit before which you can find in my post history.

We should prob have some dedicated undervolting info in the OP to link to at this point.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Jinnigan posted:

Install MSI Afterburner, set a constant fan speed that isn’t 100%. Or set a fan curve if you like.

The FE cards (particularly 3080) are a little meh as far as noise/thermals. 3080 in particular is where you move to GDDR6X which runs hot, and it’s only a 2 slot full-length card (vs the 3-slot above-full-length aftermarket cards), and the FE cards are “semi-blower” with the rear fan pushing air out the back which is always noisier.

NVIDIA just released support for the memory thermal diode on the FE cards so do pay attention to that temperature because that’s going to be the problem particularly on 3080.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 2, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

It's just a more bloated version of anything you can already do in MSI Afterburner, so no.

Is there something that can control the LEDs for him? Thats the most annoying part of the MSI x570 motherboard I have, only dragon center can set the LEDs, third party software including that open source project can't do it.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

In terms of noise/heat, undervolting my 3080 FE makes the difference between the fans spinning at 100% to keep the temps below 80c and plodding along at 40-50% with temps of around 70c. The performance loss is pretty modest - 15,200 on Timespy at default settings and 14,850 when pegged at 1785MHz and a voltage of .793.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Is there a ETA for the 3060? I am hoping to sign up for one to replace my GF's 660 Ti. It's still going after 10 years.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

exquisite tea posted:

People tell me the PCB is way too hot but think of all the money I'm saving on heating bills this winter just by putting my feet up on the case!

The far side of this basement has a 5° temperature difference over the little cube of air under my desk, where my feet go. It's perfect.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Is there a ETA for the 3060? I am hoping to sign up for one to replace my GF's 660 Ti. It's still going after 10 years.

rumors say Feb 2021

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
After some futzing around in MSI Afterburner it seems the sound I was hearing was not the fan going full blast but rather coil whine (?). Which apparently will go away eventually. okay fine

goddamn this fan sounds awful at full blast though, i've been undervolting at 1800MHz/800mV and it's never even had to hit even the 50% fanspeed mark (MSI Afterburner only gives me fan %, not RPM). Thank goodness for undervolting!!

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Has anyone tried getting an Amphere card from Microcenter in Dallas? I'm considering trying my luck, but it's a 40-minute drive so I'd like to make as few attempts as possible.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How the gently caress is it already February and there's still a GPU Shortage? Is this ever going to end? Do I still have to install a loving container to buy a video card? :argh:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

How the gently caress is it already February and there's still a GPU Shortage? Is this ever going to end? Do I still have to install a loving container to buy a video card? :argh:
It’s going to be awhile

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jinnigan posted:

After some futzing around in MSI Afterburner it seems the sound I was hearing was not the fan going full blast but rather coil whine (?). Which apparently will go away eventually. okay fine

goddamn this fan sounds awful at full blast though, i've been undervolting at 1800MHz/800mV and it's never even had to hit even the 50% fanspeed mark (MSI Afterburner only gives me fan %, not RPM). Thank goodness for undervolting!!

Which card are you running? My 3090 Gaming X Trio is dead nuts silent at completely stock settings and even when under high load very quiet with no coil whine.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lol at these scalped 3090's selling for $3100 on amazon. For gently caress's sake.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

hobbesmaster posted:

Is there something that can control the LEDs for him? Thats the most annoying part of the MSI x570 motherboard I have, only dragon center can set the LEDs, third party software including that open source project can't do it.

Not that I've found. It really sucks tbh

Doomtrain
Sep 12, 2006
A mood train?

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Any day now we should be getting that late October flood of cards...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s going to be awhile

Has NVidia given us any numbers on demand and supply? It'd be nice to know if it's just a few weeks, several weeks or more than a few months.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Has NVidia given us any numbers on demand and supply? It'd be nice to know if it's just a few weeks, several weeks or more than a few months.
No specific numbers but they said that shortages will persist through May

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Doomtrain posted:

Any day now we should be getting that late October flood of cards...

Followed by the late december flood, right?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I have a EVGA 3060 Ti with step-up to 3080 currently in queue, but got notice that my queue wait to buy a 3070 is available from EVGA. Just wanted to gauge interest if anyone would want the 3070 XC3 since I can order it in the next few hours.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Has anyone tried getting an Amphere card from Microcenter in Dallas? I'm considering trying my luck, but it's a 40-minute drive so I'd like to make as few attempts as possible.

I got a few videocards from Dallas Microcenter.

Show up at midnight and stay all night, you'll get a GPU most days except for Sunday (no shipments that day), just not guaranteed to be a 3080.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Mobile isn't desktop, but Hardware Unboxed reviewed the mobile 3060 non-Ti and its roughly equivalent to the mobile 2070 Super

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm speccing out a budget mini ITX build for a friend and Ryzen CPUs with integrated graphics are ludicrously overpriced right now. So much so that I was thinking of getting something cheaper from the last gen and throwing in a cheap dedicated GPU. Office Depot has a ton of lower-range cards for cheap, I'm assuming the 1030 is more than good enough for someone who doesn't game and writes for a living?

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/6885167/Gigabyte-Ultra-Durable-2-GV-N1030OC/

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Kunabomber posted:

I got a few videocards from Dallas Microcenter.

Show up at midnight and stay all night, you'll get a GPU most days except for Sunday (no shipments that day), just not guaranteed to be a 3080.

drat... I'll have to see how dedicated I feel.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

change my name posted:

I'm speccing out a budget mini ITX build for a friend and Ryzen CPUs with integrated graphics are ludicrously overpriced right now. So much so that I was thinking of getting something cheaper from the last gen and throwing in a cheap dedicated GPU. Office Depot has a ton of lower-range cards for cheap, I'm assuming the 1030 is more than good enough for someone who doesn't game and writes for a living?

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/6885167/Gigabyte-Ultra-Durable-2-GV-N1030OC/
If they don't game, just the on die video from pretty much anything the past 5 years should be adequate.

If you're not fussy and doesn't need to be ITX, I'd probably look at a refurb mini PC something with a 6-gen Pentium. i5-6500s with 10 pro, 8GB and decent SSDs are starting to be common and cheap.

But that's just me.

e: This kind of thing :canada: so probably even cheaper in :911:
https://www.amazon.ca/EliteDesk-800...11&rps=1&sr=8-7

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 2, 2021

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

SourKraut posted:

I have a EVGA 3060 Ti with step-up to 3080 currently in queue, but got notice that my queue wait to buy a 3070 is available from EVGA. Just wanted to gauge interest if anyone would want the 3070 XC3 since I can order it in the next few hours.

I would take it

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

No specific numbers but they said that shortages will persist through May

Where I do I put in my RTX 3080 SUPER pre-order?

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Where I do I put in my RTX 3080 SUPER pre-order?

eBay

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Got a 3090 ultra in my hands! :woop:

What is the best way to have it powered? I have HX1000 and each PCIe cable comes with a spit 8 & 6+2 pin headers so I assume 1 cable can work, but it has multiple PCIe lines so I'm thinking maybe I should run individual lines instead?

Unrelated, should my +12V rail switch be in single or multiple?

e: And lastly, is ebay the go to place for my evga 2070 SUPER (and what buy it now price should I set it to).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hive mind (and MSI at least from what I've seen) seems to recommend dedicated individual PCI-E leads for each one.

Mine has 3 ports so I have 3 with their own cables. No discernible coil whine or anything at all so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

paberu posted:

e: And lastly, is ebay the go to place for my evga 2070 SUPER (and what buy it now price should I set it to).

Just looking at what's sold on eBay recently, 2070 supers selling prices have ranged from $600 - $750 depending on the model. I'd suggest trying SA Mart or r/hardwareswap first to try and save on paying eBay seller fees (around 10%, which is a decent chunk when your sell price is that high).

mA fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 2, 2021