Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Objurium posted:

I wanted to thank the thread for turning me onto John Godier. His podcast episode with Avi Loeb discussing why Oumuamua might be a probe or light sail rather than a hydrogen comet we've never seen anywhere else is fascinating.

Is there a way to get this into Overcast app? The only Event Horizon podcast that comes up in search is about weird stuff, not space stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a way to get this into Overcast app? The only Event Horizon podcast that comes up in search is about weird stuff, not space stuff.

I think he might only put it out on youtube, but this was the episode I was talking about if it helps:

https://youtu.be/D24E4F90HTo

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've asked, and he's even hinted at a podcast before.

After getting significantly behind, I've resorted to ripping the videos off youtube, converting to MP3s and then putting them on my phone for listening.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I really dig the idea that some "censorship" mechanism is what will keep us from ever using or observing ftl. Assuming the multiverse interpretation is true and that ftl/time travel actually breaks the universe, then you can only ever observe a universe where events lead to nobody ever successfully trying it, no matter how unlikely those events are. Like, you would be able to build a ftl capable spaceship, but the moment you try to actually turn it on, you will spontaneously combust or the ceiling will collapse and kill you. No matter what you try or how often, each time some almost impossible event will happen and stop you because those realities are the only ones in the multiverse that can actually exist. I hope someone makes a gameshow out of this where people try increasingly hilarious things to get past the censorship.

Also, you could probably use it for all kinds of hilarious hijinks or even as a weapon. If you can somehow manage to couple you winning the lottery with you not not trying to ftl, you can force yourself into a universe where you win the lottery.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I mean, that doesn't really entail that the universe conspires to prevent it. It just means that your consciousness only happens, by chance, to be in the universes that don't obliterate themselves. You still have countless universes where you straight up die in a universe destroying hellfire. It's just that you as the person who lived one second longer than that was not that person.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It's like a simpler version of the anthropic principle, as it were. Since we're around to observe things, universe-destroying stuff like causality-bending devices or Cthulhu have not arisen. So far. But, if someone does break the universe somehow, we won't be here anymore, by definition, so, you know, try to adhere to the local speed limit of light, okay kids?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Somewhere in the multiverse there is an almost infinitely impropable reality where everyone who has ever tried to trim their beard into a goatee has spontaneously combusted on the spot and theoretical physicists are sitting around and wondering if wearing a goatee is what causes the universe to cease to exist and they are the only branch of the multiverse still around because of that :hmmyes:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Y’all sound like the people who thought the sound barrier was a physical thing you needed to break, not just a temporary limit based on physical parameters and scientific understanding.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don't think you can go faster than light, though.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Entanglement does.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Ok, I'm going to tell you - in a way you probably haven't encountered, but which is more descriptive - why you can't travel faster than light. If you want to learn the math behind this, it's not hard, but it does require a bit of practice.

Movement through space is a lot like rotation. In fact, it's exactly the same as rotation, just with a different type of object. But for the sake of an example we can consider a 3D object, like a cube.

I can freely rotate a cube continuously (without having any stops or abrupt changes in geometry) in 3 dimensions without issue. What I can't do, however, is freely rotate a cube such that you can go from seeing the outside of a cube to the inside of a cube. Such a change would require a major discontinuity.

The reason you can't travel faster than c is the same. Spacetime rotates in a manner* that makes moving faster than c the equivalent of rotating a cube such that you can see the inside. So that's not happening.

* described by the group SO(1,3) [Or, if you are being really precise, the semidirect product of R1,3 and O(1,3), but I digress.] I also want to express that this mathematical terminology is easier to understand than you might think.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Captain Monkey posted:

Entanglement does.

Not any information.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Captain Monkey posted:

Entanglement does.

While I admit there is...contention, here, I'm on the side that says, "No, it really doesn't. What remains consistent about the universe only travels at the maximum speed c."

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

ashpanash posted:

While I admit there is...contention, here, I'm on the side that says, "No, it really doesn't. What remains consistent about the universe only travels at the maximum speed c."

Much like people always thought electron orbital changes were instantaneous and possibly FTL, we now know that they are in fact much much slower than C and are a gradual transition in energy states.

There is to speed greater than C.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ashpanash posted:

Ok, I'm going to tell you - in a way you probably haven't encountered, but which is more descriptive - why you can't travel faster than light. If you want to learn the math behind this, it's not hard, but it does require a bit of practice.

Movement through space is a lot like rotation. In fact, it's exactly the same as rotation, just with a different type of object. But for the sake of an example we can consider a 3D object, like a cube.

I can freely rotate a cube continuously (without having any stops or abrupt changes in geometry) in 3 dimensions without issue. What I can't do, however, is freely rotate a cube such that you can go from seeing the outside of a cube to the inside of a cube. Such a change would require a major discontinuity.

The reason you can't travel faster than c is the same. Spacetime rotates in a manner* that makes moving faster than c the equivalent of rotating a cube such that you can see the inside. So that's not happening.

* described by the group SO(1,3) [Or, if you are being really precise, the semidirect product of R1,3 and O(1,3), but I digress.] I also want to express that this mathematical terminology is easier to understand than you might think.

So the universe is like some sort of hypercube?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Don't need FTL anyway. We'll take over this whole place the old fashioned way.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Libluini posted:

So the universe is like some sort of hypercube?

Rotations occur in planes. In three dimensions, a rotation in the x/y plane is a better way of saying 'a rotation around the z axis.'

The universe has 4 axes - 3 Euclidean axes, one hyperbolic axis (time). A rotatation that includes the time axis (such as the x/t plane) is referred to as a "boost."

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ashpanash posted:

Rotations occur in planes. In three dimensions, a rotation in the x/y plane is a better way of saying 'a rotation around the z axis.'

The universe has 4 axes - 3 Euclidean axes, one hyperbolic axis (time). A rotatation that includes the time axis (such as the x/t plane) is referred to as a "boost."

I'm not convinced. You can take a cube and rotate it fast enough to go from looking at the outside to looking at the inside. It's called folding (or crushing :v: ) and it kills your hypothesis dead

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Thank you for the informative posting ashpanash!

Zesty posted:

Don't need FTL anyway.

You are making my rockmen crew sad. I don't think you'd like them when they get sad.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Libluini posted:

I'm not convinced. You can take a cube and rotate it fast enough to go from looking at the outside to looking at the inside. It's called folding (or crushing :v: ) and it kills your hypothesis dead

It's impossible to tell if this is a sufficiently advanced poo poo post.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
We just need to exceed the limits of the spacetime cube's binding energy. No problem. FTL.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

future people: did you know that the ancients thought you couldnt travel faster than light because of "maths" lmao

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I vaguely assume physics is going to roughly take the route of videogame speedrunning.

Like most speedrun games go through an early phase where people just play the game naively. Then they sort of figure out the game rules. Then they figure out how to exploit the game rules in ways beyond the fiction of the game. Then eventually they are working outside the bounds of the game at all and using tool assisted controller inputs to program pong into mario world.

Like, the progress would go from there being a wall in super mario 3 being too tall to jump, and people figuring out how to speedrun the level not jumping it, then finding out a technique to jump it anyway, then a technique to glitch through it, then a technique to glitch to arbitrary spots on the map and never go to that level then like finally end up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWbwmxVpqVI

Like we are never going to rotate that guy's cube, but at some point talking about cubes and motion at all is going to seem quaint.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I vaguely assume physics is going to roughly take the route of videogame speedrunning.

Like most speedrun games go through an early phase where people just play the game naively. Then they sort of figure out the game rules. Then they figure out how to exploit the game rules in ways beyond the fiction of the game. Then eventually they are working outside the bounds of the game at all and using tool assisted controller inputs to program pong into mario world.

Like, the progress would go from there being a wall in super mario 3 being too tall to jump, and people figuring out how to speedrun the level not jumping it, then finding out a technique to jump it anyway, then a technique to glitch through it, then a technique to glitch to arbitrary spots on the map and never go to that level then like finally end up

Like we are never going to rotate that guy's cube, but at some point talking about cubes and motion at all is going to seem quaint.

There's no reason to believe this other than 1) the unwarranted persuasive power of a memorable analogy and 2) wanting it to be true.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Silver2195 posted:

There's no reason to believe this other than 1) the unwarranted persuasive power of a memorable analogy and 2) wanting it to be true.

The analogy is that the epiphenomenon of a system don't necessarily have rules similar to the underlying systems. A turtle shell in mario has rules in game, but then is created out of much more deep rules that work very very differently and don't respect turtle shell rules.

Like we understand cubes and motion pretty well in physics now. But things like cubes and even motion are just emergent epiphenomenon over "real physics" and it's probably too soon to guess how those things will ultimately interact or how we will be able to interact with them

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Oh cool, 18 new posts, did we finally discover aliens-- Ah nope, it's FTL chat again. :v:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What the gently caress is happening in that video? I need a video to explain it to me. My childhood was a long time ago but I don’t remember… that.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Boris Galerkin posted:

What the gently caress is happening in that video? I need a video to explain it to me. My childhood was a long time ago but I don’t remember… that.

In level 7-1 the player set up a memory overflow and effectively programmed values into the game through a combination of to-the-microsecond placement of turtle shells and memory values (including which blocks he bothered to hit) to make the game warp him to a non-extant room. Rather than crash outright, the game went to a failsafe mode.

This is possible because the NES has a tiny amount of memory and if you can put more active video into the memory than the memory can hold, you will overflow from the video memory part of the memory bank into the game data part of the memory, effectively changing the game itself temporarily with garbage data.

What he was doing was basically real-time coding of levels past 7-1 with controller input and memory manipulation to set values into states that did something and also didn't crash the game. Every move he made after 7-1, every thing he decided to interact with, it all had to be done to manipulate the memory state to get the result he wanted. If he did any of it even a little differently he'd have had a different end result.

It's a very impressive use of a known exploit, but it requires extensive knowledge of the game, the hardware, and of the tools used to perform the exploit.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 2, 2021

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like we understand cubes and motion pretty well in physics now. But things like cubes and even motion are just emergent epiphenomenon over "real physics" and it's probably too soon to guess how those things will ultimately interact or how we will be able to interact with them

The cubes in the analogy I used are representations of the underlying groups, and the groups themselves are generalizations of how things transform. Don't get hung up on the 'cube' part of it, or even the spatial part of it. As an example, the color charge in particle physics is a representation of SO(3). SO(3) also represents the way an object can be continuously rotated in three spatial dimensions. But the color charge is not a physical attribute, like a bump on a sphere (or a 'color' as we would colloquially interpret it) or something - it's an internal unit vector that can take any value in an SO(3) isospace, where 'space' is just a way of picturing it in your head.

So, at least in the current modern understanding of physics, we've successfully moved beyond what you refer to here as 'emergent epiphenomena' in a lot of areas, while still maintaining (and even improving) the ability of our models to predict the outcomes of our experiments.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 2, 2021

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Bug Squash posted:

I'm sorry, are you saying that we've experimentally proved real negative mass in matter? Care to link to that?

You can indeed generate energy densities lower than that of the vacuum using squeezed vacuum, or more generally squeezed coherent states. Those states have been experimentally produced, and are commonly used for high precision interferometry due to their low uncertainty in one variable.

The problem of squeezed states is that while they can have negative energy densities, on average (over a period of time), their energy will still be positive (or 0, in the case of the renormalized squeezed vacuum). This is known as the quantum inequalities,

DrSunshine posted:

Oh cool, 18 new posts, did we finally discover aliens-- Ah nope, it's FTL chat again. :v:

to me, the part where they say that slower than light warp drives are possible with current technology is far more interesting.

A subluminal warp drive may not sound quite the exotic note of the classic Alcubierre drive, but in any other circumstances attaining a substantial percentage of the speed of light would seize the imagination.

PawParole fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 2, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

ashpanash posted:

oh ok well if forums poster ashpanash says it doesn't then that's enough for me, case closed. Pack it up science,

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

PawParole posted:

You can indeed generate energy densities lower than that of the vacuum using squeezed vacuum, or more generally squeezed coherent states. Those states have been experimentally produced, and are commonly used for high precision interferometry due to their low uncertainty in one variable.

The problem of squeezed states is that while they can have negative energy densities, on average (over a period of time), their energy will still be positive (or 0, in the case of the renormalized squeezed vacuum). This is known as the quantum inequalities,

to me, the part where they say that slower than light warp drives are possible with current technology is far more interesting.

A subluminal warp drive may not sound quite the exotic note of the classic Alcubierre drive, but in any other circumstances attaining a substantial percentage of the speed of light would seize the imagination.

Also, subluminal speeds can totally get you to places hundreds of light years away in your lifetime, just not in everyone you love's lifetime if they're not along for the ride. So they are still super useful in making it practical to expand outside of the solar system.

Though, I suppose you may not get the full time dilation benefits if you are using warp drives to achieve high subluminal velocities.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Isn’t it mathematically possible to invert a shelled object?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphere_eversion

E: I understand the words in that wiki page… but I don’t understand the words the particular order they’re written in. TLDR I have no idea what I’m saying except I remember seeing a YouTube video about this a while ago.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 2, 2021

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Captain Monkey posted:

oh ok well if forums poster ashpanash says it doesn't then that's enough for me, case closed. Pack it up science,

It's pretty well established that it's not possible to use entanglement to transmit information, no need to be a dick about it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Captain Monkey posted:

Ashpanash is an actual physicist who sat down and taught themself general relativity.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
My point is that it's unsettled physics, so it's a fine thing to discuss in this thread. There's a few people that try to slap down anything they, specifically, don't believe in, even in a theoretical discussion, and it's weird.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Hey, think what you want to think, man. I'm not your superior in any way, nor am I insisting that I am completely right without a shadow of a doubt.

The only thing I can say is that I studied (and continue to study) this stuff. And my only goal is to be as informative as possible and not intentionally mislead anyone in any way. That's why I'll sometimes throw out more technical language - it's in no way an attempt for me to show off, it's because I can't think of or do not know of a better way to explain what I'm trying to say. Sometimes you just need to know the machinery to grasp the consequences. At the very least, I need it. And I think pop-sci (though it is what made me interested in science) has unfortunately done discussions like these no favors.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 3, 2021

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

PawParole posted:

Squeezed states are not lower energy than the vacuum. They are lower noise in one part of the wave, balanced out by more noise in the other parts. Their energy is unambiguously higher than the vacuum.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I hope we discover faster then Light stuff one day. If only so that it would make traveling in space much quicker.

Can we hope to find unknown elements or materials that don't exist on earth out in space?

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

John_A_Tallon posted:

In level 7-1 the player set up a memory overflow and effectively programmed values into the game through a combination of to-the-microsecond placement of turtle shells and memory values (including which blocks he bothered to hit) to make the game warp him to a non-extant room. Rather than crash outright, the game went to a failsafe mode.

This is possible because the NES has a tiny amount of memory and if you can put more active video into the memory than the memory can hold, you will overflow from the video memory part of the memory bank into the game data part of the memory, effectively changing the game itself temporarily with garbage data.

What he was doing was basically real-time coding of levels past 7-1 with controller input and memory manipulation to set values into states that did something and also didn't crash the game. Every move he made after 7-1, every thing he decided to interact with, it all had to be done to manipulate the memory state to get the result he wanted. If he did any of it even a little differently he'd have had a different end result.

It's a very impressive use of a known exploit, but it requires extensive knowledge of the game, the hardware, and of the tools used to perform the exploit.

This video has them performing a trick like this live (although tool assisted of course) and providing explanations as they do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnZ2NNYySuE