Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've brought canned beans and also spam on many backpacking trips. Taking up space after they're empty isn't really an issue. The weight is all gone, and you can stuff them with trash you can't burn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

No Pizza Laws.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

You can just stomp on cans to make them flat. Last century my frugal grandparents used to rinse flatten all their cans and then take them back to the scrap metal place for $$$. It was weird, but it wasn't difficult.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

10000 Sex Arses posted:

I've never taken cans of anything when hiking. They're too bulky and inflexible to pack into a rucksack, and they'd keep taking up space even after you've eaten the contents.

Ramen and dried pasta'n'sauce are my staples - they're dirt cheap and they crush up well and can be wedged into a rucksack. For meat I'll sometimes bring jerky but normally I'll just go meat-free for a week and replace it with stuff that has a stupidly high amount of energy-dense sugar instead.

No loving way I'm sitting down after a long hike to crack open a can of sub-dog food meat and wet bread.

Camping and backpacking are very different things. You're not really limited by weight when camping.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Facebook Aunt posted:

You can just stomp on cans to make them flat. Last century my frugal grandparents used to rinse flatten all their cans and then take them back to the scrap metal place for $$$. It was weird, but it wasn't difficult.

We had a can crusher for soda cans growing up, but other cans got put in the dishwasher and other than the lid, tossed right in the recycle bin intact. We initially took that all down to the scrap metal place, but my mom decided she didn't want to take like 3 bags of cans to get $10 or whatever it was, apparently it wasn't enough cash to care about.

Also, my parents are very lazy so, that was probably the bigger factor.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

This guy sucks. This is not even remotely pizza it's nachos. I watched some of his videos before as I enjoy ex-con type inside info, but it's all him just jerking his own dick and trying to get big online, and I don't give a gently caress.

?pizza?:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Lock him up!

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I clean hoarder houses as a side job that earns more money than my regular job. A big part of my pay is bagging up old cans and various metal containers and taking them to my buddy Elder Deacon who runs the scrap place. I only get about $15 per giant lawn bag but I usually have three or four bags. Scrapping cans is a good way to get weed money.

Hauling those bags around is why I won't take cans camping though. You don't leave your trash behind and cans get annoyingly bulky and heavy faster than I'd like.

LifeSunDeath posted:

This guy sucks. This is not even remotely pizza it's nachos. I watched some of his videos before as I enjoy ex-con type inside info, but it's all him just jerking his own dick and trying to get big online, and I don't give a gently caress.
I've had prison pizza. It had ramen noodles and crushed Doritos as the crust and the sauce was ketchup and pickle juice. Frankly it was delicious.

This guy had a way better commissary than I did if this was his prison food. But probably not and he's full of poo poo.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 14:33 on Feb 2, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

fizzymercy posted:

I clean hoarder houses as a side job that earns more money than my regular job. A big part of my pay is bagging up old cans and various metal containers and taking them to my buddy Elder Deacon who runs the scrap place. I only get about $15 per giant lawn bag but I usually have three or four bags. Scrapping cans is a good way to get weed money.

Hauling those bags around is why I won't take cans camping though. You don't leave your trash behind and cans get annoyingly bulky and heavy faster than I'd like.

That's actually fascinating. My gf and I are huge fans of all the hoarding shows, and her family are hoarders, as well as my good friend, and we've both cleaned their homes which was like loving vietnam. When you say clean hoarder homes, are you just in there clearing out after they've left the property, or like are you bickering with them over all the stuff...cause my buddy made my life hell just so I could clean out his dumb goon apartment and throw away literal rotting trash. I did this two times over the years and he resented me for it both times but I don't care, he shouldn't live like that.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

That's actually fascinating. My gf and I are huge fans of all the hoarding shows, and her family are hoarders, as well as my good friend, and we've both cleaned their homes which was like loving vietnam. When you say clean hoarder homes, are you just in there clearing out after they've left the property, or like are you bickering with them over all the stuff...cause my buddy made my life hell just so I could clean out his dumb goon apartment and throw away literal rotting trash. I did this two times over the years and he resented me for it both times but I don't care, he shouldn't live like that.

We do both types. I obviously prefer the jobs with no one on site. But I'm actually super good with people who are hoarders because my Mom is one and I understand the psychology very well. It's how I got the job.

Most of the people I have cleaned for are genuinely horrified and are only calling someone from Outside to help because they realize things are too far gone. They either stay hidden away or help as much as they can and they're always lovely.

The people that aren't there yet take a few compassionate "you hold this nasty poo poo with your bare hands and still tell me you want to keep this" conversations. After that it's all good. They like to barter for stuff and it's entirely my job to give them the dignity of haggling for tin cans. It's how you approach it. I love the people I clean for because there's no amount of dignity in watching someone dig through your life, but they trust me to do it. It's all in how you look at it. And usually in the moment I'm doing all I can to enjoy myself and that helps the people I'm cleaning for.

Also seriously I get so much money. It's ridiculous.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Kr156Xv.mp4

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Aw I thought the guy behind him gave him a consoling pat on the shoulder at first, I liked that

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Serves him right for trying to chop the end off with a spoon (? - it's really difficult to tell what implement he's using and where it goes)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

It almost looks like his plastic spoon or fork broke, but I can't tell for sure

I've had that happen trying to cut through a robust American dog

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The Bloop posted:

I've brought canned beans and also spam on many backpacking trips. Taking up space after they're empty isn't really an issue. The weight is all gone, and you can stuff them with trash you can't burn

There was a store in my neighborhood as a kid that sold dehydrated refried beans and dehydrated cheddar. I'd just mix those in a bag with a packet of burrito seasonings and then portion that out by meal into little travel bags. Tortillas were an easy carry and I could do the whole thing in a foil bag over a fire and skip using the butane. It was great if ugly.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
A lot of my backpacking trips were up a mountain, camp on a ridge, so I had to pack in water too, which makes dehydrated food effectively weigh MORE than some canned food in the sense that it was two packages instead of one

If you have access to water along the way, it becomes a very different calculus

Edit: those little packets spam comes in now must be loving amazing to hike with

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

That's a Minute Maid park ft long chili cheese dog. $9 of chili and delicious Rico's cheese on the floor. Poor fella, that's a huge loss.

I miss baseball.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

he deserves it for eating a hot dog with a loving fork

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

boar guy posted:

he deserves it for eating a hot dog with a loving fork

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's the only sandwich that lends itself to being eaten with a fork

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you don't need a fork to eat your chili dog your chili dog fuckin sucks

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you don't need a fork to eat your chili dog your chili dog fuckin sucks

If you need a fork for a chili dog you just suck

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Man up and eat that chili dog with your hands. Your supposed to get your hands covered in grease and cheese so you can lick them when you’re done. This is ballpark food, it’s supposed to be uncivilized.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
You're supposed to eat it one handed while you spill beer with your other hand. Throw the paper boat at Orbit, he loves that. (Please do not do this Orbit is an actual saint)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hawowanlawow posted:

it's the only sandwich that lends itself to being eaten with a fork

I've eaten a Monte Cristo with a fork before.

Context sometimes matters. Trying to cut up a chili dog in a paper trough on your lap at a ball game... ehhhh

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

just imagining getting a nice layer of chili grease on top of my sweat soaked face at a 110 degree shadeless Texas baseball game, so good

which reminds me, am I the only one who goes into a blind rage when pizza cheese flops onto my chin? if that poo poo happens that's pretty much a wrap on the day for me

If I were to go to a game, yeah I'd get a regular manageable dog and eat it with my hands, but in the privacy of my own home I just dump chili on there until the dog is totally buried and scoop it up with a fork like a animal

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Bloop posted:

I've eaten a Monte Cristo with a fork before.

Context sometimes matters. Trying to cut up a chili dog in a paper trough on your lap at a ball game... ehhhh

Really if you're so concerned about not making a mess that you try eating chili dogs with a fork you shouldn't be eating chili dogs to begin with.

I do have to wonder if there are artisanal deconstructed chili dogs in existence, because those would probably be suitable for eating with a fork (although you'd probably eat them with a straw or something else pretentious)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

hawowanlawow posted:

just imagining getting a nice layer of chili grease on top of my sweat soaked face at a 110 degree shadeless Texas baseball game, so good

which reminds me, am I the only one who goes into a blind rage when pizza cheese flops onto my chin? if that poo poo happens that's pretty much a wrap on the day for me

If I were to go to a game, yeah I'd get a regular manageable dog and eat it with my hands, but in the privacy of my own home I just dump chili on there until the dog is totally buried and scoop it up with a fork like a animal

Animals don't use utensils :colbert:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Really if you're so concerned about not making a mess that you try eating chili dogs with a fork you shouldn't be eating chili dogs to begin with.

I do have to wonder if there are artisanal deconstructed chili dogs in existence, because those would probably be suitable for eating with a fork (although you'd probably eat them with a straw or something else pretentious)

you could just make chilidogs with cocktail weenies I guess

Just a big-gulp cup of beenie-weenies at the ballpark. Have a slurp.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Get you a hot dog and a cup of chili

dip the hot dog in the chili

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Bloop posted:

you could just make chilidogs with cocktail weenies I guess

Just a big-gulp cup of beenie-weenies at the ballpark. Have a slurp.

:hmmyes:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Get you a hot dog and a cup of chili

dip the hot dog in the chili

:hmmyes:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Take a bite of hot dog, then take a spoon of chili, swish and chew

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Iron Crowned posted:

Animals don't use utensils :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inFkERO30oM Chimps eating termites :colbert:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Chimps are in many ways more civilized than us

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The termites might disagree

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Chimps are in many ways more civilized than us

A polite society is a ripping-off-someones-face-at-the-slightest-provocation society

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Termites are delectable. Like way better than ants or crickets. Those chimps know what's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Chimpanzees ain't got poo poo on crows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtmLVP0HvDg