Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Kuros posted:

Instead of crow friend, how does one make a falcon friend?

https://giant.gfycat.com/GracefulPastelCoypu.webm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJY9XxWjhRI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

my roughly 35 day old budgie keeps regurgitating food for my fingers. he'll get very active and nuzzle my fingers and get super cuddly and let me really scratch his cheeks / top of his head and then make a little chirping sound and out comes a small amount of formula, is this healthy? is it his way of saying "you're not too bad, I like ya" or is it something I should worry about. he seems fine otherwise, and it's always the exact same way: hyperactivity, playfully attacking my fingers, being 100% okay with scratches (as opposed to the usual slight tolerance, before shuffling away a bit) and then up comes some food and he'll sorta just stare blankly whilst licking up the dribbles from his mouth. I thought it might be an infection the first couple of times, but now it just happens like clockwork.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I mean, for starters, what does his overall health look like? Weight, feather growth, etc

do you have a bird vet -- not because you necessarily need one right now, but in case you need one down the road?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

he looks great, has started flying more often between the window sill and the desk or my shoulder, he's not lethargic or docile. he naps a lot but I think it's because he's still young, he'll have fits of activity and then nap for an hour or so. he weighs 30g, when I checked this morning. his feathers seem alright, still a bit bare under the wings but filling out quickly each day. this behaviour only started about 4 days ago, first two days had me worried and I kept a close eye in case he was ill, but these past two days I've paid attention to when he's about to do it and he doesn't seem distressed. he's weaning and eats crushed pellets, I'm just about getting him used to veggies, he can't even crack open millet yet as he hasn't figured out the knack. formula in the morning and at night before bed, midday if he's really begging for it (which he doesn't do anymore).

I've not got a vet nearby that I trust, the only one that deals with birds has a whole bunch of negative reviews of how the vets aren't trained and kill your pets through sheer incompetence. perks of being in the Middle East. only time I'd even consider taking him is if it was an obvious life or death situation. I'll take a picture tomorrow when he's not sleeping. I just want to know if it could be a sign of illness, or if it's affection, or if it's a bad habit I should nip in the bud.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

So when I got home tonight and opened my garage door, my wife noticed a very large animal follow us into the courtyard. As it rushed to follow us, it was making these loud, thudding clacking noises as it ran.

It was a bird! A huge bird, almost the size of a chicken. But it wasn't a chicken. We were being stalked by the biggest fancy pigeon (it's the breed with the "it's aliens" guy hair and bell bottom feathers on the feet.) It didn't even try to fly away, so I scooped it up. Figured it not running away was a bad sign, and it was dirty, so I took it to the vet.

Long story short, the vet found the reason the bird didn't try to run away. It turns out that it's pretty hard to pull a runner when your feet, wingtips and tail feathers are covered in cement.

Mashallah, besides the cement the injuries were mostly minor. It was partially dehydrated but able to drink water that I gave it, and it had some minor injuries to it's wings and a wound on its class - presumably from having "concrete slippers" for so long.

So, I am now the caretaker of a big dumb himbo fancy pigeon. He's settled in and I gave him his first doses of medicine. He's eating and drinking. Behavior is great, not very scared, loves the kid and is cooing. Now I've come to the thread to ask about the next step.

How the hell do you bathe a pigeon? Even with the cement gone, this fat bird hasn't been able to fly for quite a while, and he's filthy as hell. Do I offer him water in a bowl or like, turn on a sink faucet or what?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I mean, I'd say offer a big pan of water and see if he's into it, just to start.

Poor guy. Wonder what his story is.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Good on you taking in a wayward pigeon! They make amazing, kind, and humorously aloof pets.

Post some pictures and we might have a better idea how to help with the feathers.

Alright, all caps time. I KNOW MORE OF YOU HAVE PARROTS WHO HAVE NOT CHECKED IN!!! :derptiel: It's the roll call, everyone. We gotta get a headcount for federal forums funding. :derptiel:

Time for my other two feathered idiots -

Birb Name – Blue and Yellow the Parakeets

Birb Nickname – Blue is secretly called Tito II, for reasons some of you might remember. Yellow is called Hate Bird by my father. It's apt.

Birb Age – Probably about four, but Yellow might be significantly older. They are "Bin of Budgie" store birds.

Birb Type – American Parakeets. Much smaller than the wonderful English Budgies, but same concept.

Birb Shape – Blue is Parakeet Shape. Yellow is extremely round, due to being constantly filled with Blue's loving vomit.

Birb Super Powers – Blue appears to be powered by a hidden supply of cocaine and love. Yellow...sure is yellow...

Birb Evil Powers – Blue sometimes decides to violently hump his toys. I don't think they enjoy it. Sometimes he tries to do the same to Yellow and nearly gets his little rip taken off. Yellow has bitten me harder than any small bird, ever. Again, she is Hate Bird.

Birb Weaknesses – Blue has a weakness for Yellow, constantly following her around and paying attention to her every whim. Yellow has a weakness for letting Blue vomit up all her food for her, 24/7. It's love, people. Both birds are vulnerable to string, often times getting sucked into the siren's call of preening a string for three straight hours.

Pictures of Birb –

Yellow - "This is my string."
Blue - "String is amazing."

Video Evidence of Birb -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktuG5QjJvVk

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd2srYijPhc
babby screm very on-brand for a surprise free boodge.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Mormon Star Wars posted:

So when I got home tonight and opened my garage door, my wife noticed a very large animal follow us into the courtyard. As it rushed to follow us, it was making these loud, thudding clacking noises as it ran.

It was a bird! A huge bird, almost the size of a chicken. But it wasn't a chicken. We were being stalked by the biggest fancy pigeon (it's the breed with the "it's aliens" guy hair and bell bottom feathers on the feet.) It didn't even try to fly away, so I scooped it up. Figured it not running away was a bad sign, and it was dirty, so I took it to the vet.

Long story short, the vet found the reason the bird didn't try to run away. It turns out that it's pretty hard to pull a runner when your feet, wingtips and tail feathers are covered in cement.

Mashallah, besides the cement the injuries were mostly minor. It was partially dehydrated but able to drink water that I gave it, and it had some minor injuries to it's wings and a wound on its class - presumably from having "concrete slippers" for so long.

So, I am now the caretaker of a big dumb himbo fancy pigeon. He's settled in and I gave him his first doses of medicine. He's eating and drinking. Behavior is great, not very scared, loves the kid and is cooing. Now I've come to the thread to ask about the next step.

How the hell do you bathe a pigeon? Even with the cement gone, this fat bird hasn't been able to fly for quite a while, and he's filthy as hell. Do I offer him water in a bowl or like, turn on a sink faucet or what?

WHERE ARE THE PICTURES OF FAT DOVE

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Mormon Star Wars posted:

PIGEON FOUND HELP

Firstly, thanks for helping this bird. Pigeons are smart despite their reputation and this one likely identified that it couldn't solve the problem by themselves.

Second, as the capybara said, leave a shallow dish of water (if you have slightly curved plates that could do for a start, for instance) to see if there's any interest. If not, you can offer a small amount in a bowl (they may like something to cling to on the edge) and if not that, use a spray on the 'very fine' mist setting, not directly on the bird but to mimic rain. If all of these fail some birds enjoy being taken into the shower with you! They sell perches for that.

With any of these I would advise against extremely hot or cold water, especially since the bird may have cement burns. Some birds simply don't like being bathed and are stinky little orbs and need it anyway, in which case you'll have to spray them or try to console them while you do so but it's just as important for a bird to bathe as any other critter.

Please remember that pigeons are a bird that need grit! They only need a small amount, and if you have lots of clean eggs you use for cooking you can use the crushed eggshell for this instead of going out and buying some. If the bird is female the added calcium boost is also good if they start laying eggs (to counteract the fact they are taking some from their bones to make said eggs).

Pigeons are one of those birds that I've wanted but haven't had a good opportunity to have, but they seem like sweet and delightful birds with a much less horrifying bite than a parrot.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Chaosfeather posted:

Pigeons are one of those birds that I've wanted but haven't had a good opportunity to have, but they seem like sweet and delightful birds with a much less horrifying bite than a parrot.

One of my sisters dislikes birds, except for the dove with terminal cancer her friend took in a few years back.

I'd be offended, but that was a very sweet girl.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

ApathyGirl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd2srYijPhc
babby screm very on-brand for a surprise free boodge.

very much a must-click, guy saves the baby budgie and then another even happier surprise at the end

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/ParrotOfTheDay/status/1356803408267595778

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Fat boy pics:

(For that last one, it was taken right after I got back from the vet - had to run out and get an emergency cage at like 10 P.M. I put a flat surface on there for the boy afterwards so he wasn't walking on wire!)

I let it sit in the bathtub for a bit with a very small amount of water. He kept peeking over the edge to look at me and then started nodding towards the cage so I put him back in. Still very chill about being handled, which is good since I have to give him drops once a day! After he got back in the cage he started cleaning his feathers, so I think that's a good sign.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

This one is totally a baby moluccan crouching and making hungry EHHHHHHHHHH noises, isn't it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHlkCBsUKLQ

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Sulfur-crested cockatoo

There's some in the park near me and they do that on occasion.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Qubee posted:

my roughly 35 day old budgie keeps regurgitating food for my fingers. he'll get very active and nuzzle my fingers and get super cuddly and let me really scratch his cheeks / top of his head and then make a little chirping sound and out comes a small amount of formula, is this healthy? is it his way of saying "you're not too bad, I like ya" or is it something I should worry about. he seems fine otherwise, and it's always the exact same way: hyperactivity, playfully attacking my fingers, being 100% okay with scratches (as opposed to the usual slight tolerance, before shuffling away a bit) and then up comes some food and he'll sorta just stare blankly whilst licking up the dribbles from his mouth. I thought it might be an infection the first couple of times, but now it just happens like clockwork.

I think this may be part of budgie development. When Scamp was about this old, he annoyed his mom because he’d demand to regurgitate for her. She gained too much weight because he would insist on feeding her!

So you’re his mom :3:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanks so much, took a lot of worry off my head!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

I love his back swept crest, he's like a little pokemon!

He's gonna be so handsome when he's all cleaned up. Pigeons are so cute.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I'm surprised that guy isn't banded. Unless there were some big fluffy pigeons that escaped into the woods and started a successful feral colony the same way that our average city pigeons descend from show/racing birds. In which case I will look forward to the arrival of the big fluffy pigeon overlords in my town.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

There's so much personality in these, I'm in love.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Birb Name – Niko

Birb Nickname – Birbo

Birb Age – 7 months

Birb Type – Sun Conure

Birb Shape – Pretty normal shaped, to my amateur eyes. None of their perches sag under their weight or anything like that.

Birb Super Powers – Acrobatics. Like, I know it's normal for the species, but watching Niko hang upside-down by a single toe while eating millet or whatever is never not impressive.

Birb Evil Powers – Ability to unscrew the carabineers hanging their toys from the cage ceiling. Also, the loudest screech in proportion to body mass in the world, apparently. Also also, the ability to know when I'm on a Zoom call, and only unleashing said screech at that time.

Birb Weaknesses – Head scratch addiction.

Pictures of Birb –

Video Evidence of Birb - https://i.imgur.com/1hNguxz.mp4

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What bird feeder do I buy that I can stick onto a window from the outside so that my cat can stare at them all day and make clucking sounds? And what seeds do I buy? I was at the hardware shop the other day and was overwhelmed with all the different bags of seeds and all the bird feeders were hanging types.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

https://www.amazon.com/Nature-Gear-Window-Bird-Feeder/dp/B019NSZFYU
lol that the cardinal and finch are the same size.

We have this style here, and use the kind of bird seed you'd find in home depot or walmart. I think the brand is 3D Premium and it comes in all sorts of flavors. Our neighborhood birds really enjoy the Nut & Berry mix, but obviously your neighborhood birds might have different tastes. They make a hot pepper variety that keeps squirrels from eating at your feeders, too.

You could also mix it up and have a large suction cup hook that lets you hang a suet cake or thistle sock feeder a little bit away from the window. Some birds enjoy seeds and nuts, some want suet, and some small finches go right for the thistle sock and nothing else. Suet cakes were a big hit when it started to get cold out here in New York

As an aside, if you're going to feed the wild birds, make sure you keep feeding them through the cold. Also note that it might take some time for word to get around the neighborhood.

I realize this is the pet bird thread, but rather than redirect you, I figured I'd Just Post since I love feeding our outdoor birds, too.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 3, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
grace has been super snuggly today

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 3, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
A cop showed up at my door to deliver a jury summons, no mask or anything. Ozy screamed at him the entire time. Way to go, Ozy!

No, they did not send me a letter weeks ago like they usually do. They acknowledged this.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

rydiafan posted:

Birb Name – Niko

Birb Nickname – Birbo

Birb Age – 7 months

Birb Type – Sun Conure

Birb Shape – Pretty normal shaped, to my amateur eyes. None of their perches sag under their weight or anything like that.

Birb Super Powers – Acrobatics. Like, I know it's normal for the species, but watching Niko hang upside-down by a single toe while eating millet or whatever is never not impressive.

Birb Evil Powers – Ability to unscrew the carabineers hanging their toys from the cage ceiling. Also, the loudest screech in proportion to body mass in the world, apparently. Also also, the ability to know when I'm on a Zoom call, and only unleashing said screech at that time.

Birb Weaknesses – Head scratch addiction.

Pictures of Birb –

Video Evidence of Birb - https://i.imgur.com/1hNguxz.mp4

The is the cutest "I'm a monster on the ceiling!!!" crawl I've ever seen.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

A cop showed up at my door to deliver a jury summons, no mask or anything. Ozy screamed at him the entire time. Way to go, Ozy!

No, they did not send me a letter weeks ago like they usually do. They acknowledged this.

Good bird Ozzy! And Niko and Grace and Pidge.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What is wrong with my young magpie friend's foot?

This juvenile limps and often retracts its right leg. It's not clear in the picture (bad camera, failing light) but the grey-brown thing is approximately the colour of jute/hessian and has a fibrous, felt-like appearance, and completely encircles the poor bird's foot.
I've known this bird for a couple of weeks and it's had this thing the whole time. Is it maybe some bit of nesting material that it got stuck in and has grown into?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

will sniffing my budgie actually give me chlamydia, or is it one of those things where it's a risk, but a very minor risk? or is it something I don't really need to worry about since I'm in my 20s

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Re: the cement pigeon. Is it normal for them to get really attached to their cage? I took it outside and let it walk around a bit for exercise and it wouldn't walk unless I left the cage door open, and even then it just did like 2-3 loops and hopped back in the cage to chill.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

GotLag posted:

What is wrong with my young magpie friend's foot?

This juvenile limps and often retracts its right leg. It's not clear in the picture (bad camera, failing light) but the grey-brown thing is approximately the colour of jute/hessian and has a fibrous, felt-like appearance, and completely encircles the poor bird's foot.
I've known this bird for a couple of weeks and it's had this thing the whole time. Is it maybe some bit of nesting material that it got stuck in and has grown into?

poor thing. it definitely seems like its foot is caught. do you think it would let you get close enough to investigate? if not you may want to call wildlife people in your area for some help if such a thing exists.

Qubee posted:

will sniffing my budgie actually give me chlamydia, or is it one of those things where it's a risk, but a very minor risk? or is it something I don't really need to worry about since I'm in my 20s

so, assuming you’re in the us, fewer than 10 cases have been reported each year since 2010 across the whole country. undoubtedly several go unreported. so the risk is non-zero but low, especially if you get a bird from a reputable breeder.

presumably you can have your birds tested for psittacotic bacteria.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Re: the cement pigeon. Is it normal for them to get really attached to their cage? I took it outside and let it walk around a bit for exercise and it wouldn't walk unless I left the cage door open, and even then it just did like 2-3 loops and hopped back in the cage to chill.

birds generally get attached to their cages, especially if it’s warm and comfortable for them. they feel safe there, and there’s food and water. i stay in my house a lot, too.

its feet might still be sore, or maybe it just wasn’t in the mood. personally i probably wouldn’t push it by taking the birb outside but when possible leave his cage open indoors and see if he gets up to moving around.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Bird chlamydia presents in humans with severe respiratory symptoms. Fortunately, yeah, as noted, it's a fairly rare thing. Assess your risks accordingly.

I do eternally find it fascinating the way people tend to go, oh no how can you keep your bird in a cage even some of the time, but birds don't see their cages as a prison, they see them as a safe place they sleep. When I first got Ozzy, there were definitely stretches where he refused to leave his cage for weeks at a time.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

mediaphage posted:

poor thing. it definitely seems like its foot is caught. do you think it would let you get close enough to investigate? if not you may want to call wildlife people in your area for some help if such a thing exists.

It's a wild bird and is still leery. It has taken a sunflower kernel from my hand a couple of times but is usually too shy. If I sit down it will settle nearby just out of arm's reach.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Bird Name – Chickadoodle (named when I thought he was a she, but they respond so strongly to this name so I just kept it)

Bird Nickname – Butthead

Bird Age – A month and a bit? Hard to say, but younger than 2 months for sure!

Bird Type – Budgerigar

Bird Shape – Dinosaurish

Bird Super Powers – Being insanely cute, recently learning to fly like a champ, and generally being the Lord of my entire bedroom

Bird Evil Powers – Likes to drop deuces between the keys of my keyboard, turns into a cheeky rascal when I try to put him into his cage for bedtime

Bird Weaknesses – Chin scratches, shoulder perching, and shredding anything and everything

Pictures of Bird –

Words can't explain how happy it makes me to see them growing so fast, they were barely able to fly just five days ago. Three days ago they could fly but had no control. Today, they're doing acrobatic loops around the bedroom, landing deftly on whatever perch they want, and generally flying to and from places rather than walking / climbing. They are currently perched on top of the AC unit looking down on me, and will occasionally take off and do a few laps around the bedroom.

I definitely want to clicker train them to fly to my hand, and graduate to eventual free flights. I just don't know whether it's better to take them out to an open space once they're sufficiently trained, or let them fly from the rooftop of the house. I don't know whether they'd have a hard time locating me on the roof, or if it would be a nonissue with the clicker / whistle + sunlight + good view of me standing on the roof. I just want them to be the happiest and healthiest budgie they can be, and I see them staring out the window and would love for them to have regular morning flights to experience it.

Looking forward to when they molt into their new feathers!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lots of schools of thought on this but even with training i would be leery of just taking them outside without being willing to not see them again.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

mediaphage posted:

lots of schools of thought on this but even with training i would be leery of just taking them outside without being willing to not see them again.

I'm skeptical of free flight training but I have seen it done successfully with bigger (read: smarter) parrots and very experienced handlers. There's been enough budgies that have gone missing ITT that I would say absolutely no for the little guys.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I would never let a budgie fly outside under any circumstance, too easy for them to get scooped up by the wind (or something else...) and get lost.

Even bigger parrots with harnesses would make me nervous, something could spook them and they might hurt themselves.

I'm biased since losing a bird outside is a recurring nightmare despite not having a bird for over 10 years, so grain of salt.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Remember outside is big and scary and dangerous looking to a tiny creature. Just because they look outside it doesn't mean they would necessarily enjoy being there when they have plenty to keep them occupied in a home that is so massive compared to them that they can fly around in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
I'm slowly considering a bird and I feel as if I would want to learn a good recall in case of an escape but it seems so scary to take a prey species bird outside. The hawks just cruise through my neighborhood.