Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Rutibex posted:

back in my days kids couldn't read. drat this entitled generation and their 5th grade education :argh:

... do you think it takes until 5th grade before kids can read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

... do you think it takes until 5th grade before kids can read?

Please don't shame Rutibex for being extremely presidential as a kid.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The Oldest Man posted:

In the 19th century people called reading novels a frivolous, brain-wasting exercise that distracted young men and women with flights of fancy, afflicted them with daydreams, and generally corrupted them away from a proper life.

https://crimereads.com/when-the-novel-was-dangerous/

So I think the two ways you can interpret this are either a) we're just on an endless downward spiral into sinfulness and ereaders and twitter are just the latest steps into vice in a long chain or b) this is just the latest idiotic moral panic about the degeneracy of the youth's idle activities from people who remember When Things Were Done Better.

"Socrates' opinion on writing posted:

For this invention will produce forgetfulness in the minds of those who learn to use it, because they will not practice their memory. Their trust in writing, produced by external characters which are no part of themselves, will discourage the use of their own memory within them. You have invented an elixir not of memory, but of reminding; and you offer your pupils the appearance of wisdom, not true wisdom, for they will read many things without instruction and will therefore seem to know many things, when they are for the most part ignorant and hard to get along with, since they are not wise, but only appear wise.

Phaedrus 274e-275b

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

By definition no proof of this can ever exist but I bet you a dollar that someone in prehistory was loving pissed at the development of abstract language because it allowed knowledge to be given without being earned, thus contributing to moral decay

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

"Fire hurts when you touch it" is an embodied fact and I believe that children who learn such facts without the physical experience of their own seared flesh are impoverished as a result

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

"Fire hurts when you touch it" is an embodied fact and I believe that children who learn such facts without the physical experience of their own seared flesh are impoverished as a result

if you don't get burned how are you supposed to accumulate epigenetic knowledge?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Everything else aside I think being able to actively engage with long form written media is a crucial skill bc the most deeply abstract or technical stuff can basically only be transmitted that way and you'll always need to hit the books/html walls o text to fill in gaps or deep dive, tho other stuff is great for introductory or supplemental

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Tulip posted:

Phaedrus 274e-275b

The irony of Socrates describing someone being "hard to get along with" as being a problem.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SchnorkIes posted:

Everything else aside I think being able to actively engage with long form written media is a crucial skill bc the most deeply abstract or technical stuff can basically only be transmitted that way and you'll always need to hit the books/html walls o text to fill in gaps or deep dive, tho other stuff is great for introductory or supplemental

I mean throughout history the primary means of transmitting abstract and technical skills and concepts has been orally from teacher to students, master to apprentice or mentor to mentee, but sure, uphold our rotting system that spends more time simultaneously vomiting and making GBS threads garbage to the tune of billions of useless words describing thousands of poorly designed studies and laughably empty position papers hashed and rehashed in an endless clout-chasing circlejerk as the only way to reproduce knowledge. It's the end of history after all.

Plus you'll never get a job as a computer toucher unless you can read a word doc, produce broken software in between watching episodes of My Hero Academia on your other monitor, and then strategically blame the document for your failures, and that's the difference between life and death in our society.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

I mean throughout history the primary means of transmitting abstract and technical skills and concepts has been orally from teacher to students, master to apprentice or mentor to mentee, but sure, uphold our rotting system that spends more time simultaneously vomiting and making GBS threads garbage to the tune of billions of useless words describing thousands of poorly designed studies and laughably empty position papers hashed and rehashed in an endless clout-chasing circlejerk as the only way to reproduce knowledge. It's the end of history after all.

Plus you'll never get a job as a computer toucher unless you can read a word doc, produce broken software in between watching episodes of My Hero Academia on your other monitor, and then strategically blame the document for your failures, and that's the difference between life and death in our society.

u seem to hate written knowledge yet write using words, curious....

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

The Oldest Man posted:

What are you even talking about

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

The irony of Socrates describing someone being "hard to get along with" as being a problem.

For real.

Dude's nickname was 'gadfly,' not exactly Scooter or Sport.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

For real.

Serious Boomer energy, there.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

so true

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

SchnorkIes posted:

The attention span required for reading a book is something I can feel myself losing if I don't make an effort to engage in longform reading regularly. My partner is even worse on this front, she struggles to sit through a full movie if we watch at home, it drives me nuts.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

bawfuls posted:

The attention span required for reading a book is something I can feel myself losing if I don't make an effort to engage in longform reading regularly. My partner is even worse on this front, she struggles to sit through a full movie if we watch at home, it drives me nuts.

im ur partner at this point lmao, drives my wife insane

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

drat, check that middle ages crack pipe

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Well I married my dream boy
I married my dream boy
But he didn't tell me his penis was bad
So now instead of loving in a pleasant suburb
we're in his parents basement and I'm boning his dad.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

like your credit score, if you get a bad dick report it will stay with you for at least 7 years

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
if you check your dick, it shrinks

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

There's a fairly infamous anprim article that's just making GBS threads on symbolic thought, it's a fun read every once in a while. Easily the craziest thing I've read that wasn't just incoherent.

The Oldest Man posted:

username/post combo

owns

Shrecknet posted:

For real.

Imagine being so loving annoying that the state publicly executes you for it. Not even like 'had an accident' or 'disappeared.'

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tulip posted:

anprim article
:thunk:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
shouldn't it be a story they tell around the camp fire. writing is for civilization-cucks

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/alfredwkng/status/1356717392961937413

I'm sure this bodes well

https://twitter.com/AthertonKD/status/1356712854842392584

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
owned

https://twitter.com/byabartlett/status/1356725506893180928?s=20

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

why was the artist not expecting a response

what was the point if this wasn't it

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

leak the names bish

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i say swears online posted:

why was the artist not expecting a response

what was the point if this wasn't it

it was obviously fake but the way they phrased the initial tweet made it sound like a real clickbait article so it went insanely viral when people quote tweeted it to make jokes about robbing the blue tick houses. and then people saw only the quote tweets i guess??

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Taintrunner posted:

leak the names bish

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

its also equally likely that jeff bezos, realizing he has more money then he could spend in 100 lifetimes might just want to gently caress off to billionaire sex island.

or for him its more like billionaire sex archipelago

The Nastier Nate has issued a correction as of 17:13 on Feb 3, 2021

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

love it when insanely rich people sound like they're trying out an Intelligence 4 run

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Tulip posted:

Imagine being so loving annoying that the state publicly executes you for it. Not even like 'had an accident' or 'disappeared.'

Mods handed him the ultimate permaban.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Armadillo Tank posted:

Thanks for this. I was considering hunting down the new trilogy but reading it probably would have poisoned any positive memories I have of his other works.

You can safely read the 1st one in the trilogy, The Peripheral. It's good. very strong woman protagonist and other good women characters as usual for Gibson - Gibson's treatment of women as a male author alone makes him worth reading imho, I think he's very good at it and probably like #1 for male scifi authors. but yeah definitely skip Agency. Third one isn't published yet afaik

And fwiw I still love Gibson. Lots of olds in my life I care about have MSNBC brainworms (and FOX brainworms, too, which are admittedly worse).

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 19:28 on Feb 3, 2021

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qnyvqiDrMa1r0uzl6.mp4

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

idgi

is he trying to cosplay as the vision

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

24 million dollars

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

bawfuls posted:

i followed a link awhile back and accidentally ended up reading an entire novel

maybe im just weird though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
xpost