Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

blastron posted:

This, please. Lead acid batteries produce hydrogen sulfide gas when they're overcharged, which is initially pretty stinky (it smells like rotten eggs) but your nose very quickly desensitizes to it. If your wiring isn't right and your batteries start leaking gas while you're asleep, you could just straight-up die. Unlike carbon monoxide, there aren't any cheap consumer-grade detectors that will start screaming at you once levels get dangerous.

Its okay the batteries are in and vent into the cab not my bedroom. The cab is airy enough I believe and the gasses can escape when I open the cab door to go somewhere. I am well versed in inhaling hcl and other acidic gasses. About 11 years of my life was spent in a chemistry lab doing crazy things such as generating chlorine gas through a bubbler for a reaction just to gain the experience. Or using Aqua Regia to quantify how much iron rich dirt id have to dig in an area to make a long sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

esto es malo posted:

the best part is hes a goon because he was getting scammed by goons in a toilet game and was just too cool to not befriend

its not

Rytheric via Discord posted:

I just realized you were loving with me about a mining permit scam lol
I'm so gullible lol

Now that all that is cleared up, I wanted to share out the origin story for Rytheric, since not everyone plays or played Toilet Eve.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938701&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=24#post508114683

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

CubicalSucrose posted:

Now that all that is cleared up, I wanted to share out the origin story for Rytheric, since not everyone plays or played Toilet Eve.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938701&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=24#post508114683

This just gets better and better.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

CubicalSucrose posted:

:eyepop:

Deep Ry lore

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Came for the accidental 2k telescope. Stayed because I passed out from smoke inhalation in the on-fire-truck.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Rytheric posted:

I was a construction inspector for a while.

:thunk:

edit: you know what that tracks actually

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Every time I look back at this thread there is more going on.

CubicalSucrose posted:

this tracks

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Have you considered putting your TImberShitter in the corner of the yellow house that you apparently own as a result of weird zoning boundaries? It'd save you a bunch of privy digging & I would imagine you taking a dump in their living room will rapidly become the least of the neighbor's worries.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
So wait, I know we are wondering about the telescope but did I miss something or is the water tower itself not even built yet?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

CubicalSucrose posted:

:kimchi:

OP please reconsider putting a fire pit inside the truck. instead you could build a fire pit outside the truck and not die from CO inhalation

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Greader posted:

So wait, I know we are wondering about the telescope but did I miss something or is the water tower itself not even built yet?

Yeah everyone is latching onto different things but that stuff seems to be a future planning thing.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
op you can put a french design/equivalent petite godin in it for a coal stove, which will actually be warm. Just have a CO and heat detector like youre supposed to.

they're used on sailboats and houseboats all the time because they're great. I've got a full sized one in my basement

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Greader posted:

This is the current state of the well. I need to rescue jt from some trees.. The watertower observatory was just added to the project list recently.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

oldskool posted:

Have you considered putting your TImberShitter in the corner of the yellow house that you apparently own as a result of weird zoning boundaries? It'd save you a bunch of privy digging & I would imagine you taking a dump in their living room will rapidly become the least of the neighbor's worries.

Lol

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Rytheric posted:

This is the current state of the well. I need to rescue jt from some trees.. The watertower observatory was just added to the project list recently.

Hey man I hate to be the one to tell you this but I think there's an alien in your foliage

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I mean seems like building a septic tank is a much more interesting project since you're on this whole reinvent housing from first principles kick. Plus you get to poop indoors with actual plumbing like it's the 20th century or something. :shrug:

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

mrmcd posted:

I mean seems like building a septic tank is a much more interesting project since you're on this whole reinvent housing from first principles kick. Plus you get to poop indoors with actual plumbing like it's the 20th century or something. :shrug:

I have a personal vendetta against indoor plumbing and pooping, showering, and cooking where you sleep in general. It unnatural and It gets worse in a tiny house.

Marux
Mar 15, 2008

College Slice
This thread has brought me back to post on a forum I thought long dead, so well done.

As far as your power situation longer term, I might offer two suggestions:

You lose a fair amount of power converting from DC to AC via the inverter, only to convert back to DC for most of the stuff you have connected. Short term if you run into capacity issues, it might be easier to just use direct DC to power things off of 12v, and use car charger style cigarette lighter adapters wired direct to the battery to drop from 12v to 5v for USB stuff.

Second, and you may have already planned for something like this, but for safer and higher capacity storage long term, I've seen a lot of success in DIY 18650 battery banks, I would check out the stuff jehugarcia on youtube does on this. Its a little more complex than car batteries and jumper cables, but it is lighter weight, more compact, and less risk of explosion from offgassing that lead acid batteries produce.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

I have a personal vendetta against indoor plumbing and pooping, showering, and cooking where you sleep in general. It unnatural and It gets worse in a tiny house.

thats why doors were invented

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Marux posted:

This thread has brought me back to post on a forum I thought long dead, so well done.

As far as your power situation longer term, I might offer two suggestions:

You lose a fair amount of power converting from DC to AC via the inverter, only to convert back to DC for most of the stuff you have connected. Short term if you run into capacity issues, it might be easier to just use direct DC to power things off of 12v, and use car charger style cigarette lighter adapters wired direct to the battery to drop from 12v to 5v for USB stuff.

Second, and you may have already planned for something like this, but for safer and higher capacity storage long term, I've seen a lot of success in DIY 18650 battery banks, I would check out the stuff jehugarcia on youtube does on this. Its a little more complex than car batteries and jumper cables, but it is lighter weight, more compact, and less risk of explosion from offgassing that lead acid batteries produce.

Thank you. Yeah I keep forgetting to post my electric system because well nothing about it would be considered safe at the moment other than its DC and I'd prefer to wait til ive finished it a bit more so I dont lose credibility in what I'm doing.

But yeah, I figured out the dc thing a while back. All my electric is dc except for my sleep apnea machine. My space heater is a 12v 800 watt space heater (i really need 1200w) i then have a 12v dc outlet board that i hook everything like my laptop, cell charger, and 12v electric blankets to.

All sconces are DC!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Rytheric posted:

Have you considered one shack with plumbing and electricity for pooping, showering, and cooking, and then a disconnected hut to sleep in

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Rytheric posted:

I dont have anything in my GroverTruk bedroom except my bed. I live a minimalist life style. In the closet space all I have is a couple bins of tools, a creeper, and my sway bar I haven't reattached yet from when I was working on my suspension. (This will get reattached soon tm)

Later it will have a clothes rack. Maybe some books above the battery cabinet waiting for the an electrical fire to burn them all up. Who knows.
I would caution against storing a creeper in your closet, as it is likely to explode at some point

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Anne Whateley posted:

Have you considered one shack with plumbing and electricity for pooping, showering, and cooking, and then a disconnected hut to sleep in

I did actually. I was going to have one that was detached and decentralized then a model tiny house to rent out that is what the residential code wants. But living in the detached one is not really allowed. I also have to rebuild my GroverTruk if I want to classify it as a tiny home because the code requires all rooms to be 7ft by 7ft. Which is way to big for me. My bedroom is 7ft by 5.5 foot, and that's a little too big. I believe the spirit of the 7x7 minimum is so that if someone passes out, their body can lay out in the space. I believe this is also way American bathroom stalls have openings on the bottom. Other than to pull a passes out person out from under the stall. And the stalls are kind of illegal too otherwise because bathrooms and such are suppose to open out now than in so that paramedics or someone trying to assist someone doesn't hurt anyone by pushing open the door that may have a body against it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

How about a trailer platform for the fire pit? You could detach it and get the truck a safe distance, then have a party on the little fire deck.

And why isn’t the truck called the ImmolationWagon?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I'm going to step outside my truck house to poo poo and wash but when I want to enjoy a crackling campfire it is going to take place between my roof and fuel tank, because god above was not invited to join me around this hearth.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Reiley posted:

I'm going to step outside my truck house to poo poo and wash but when I want to enjoy a crackling campfire it is going to take place between my roof and fuel tank, because god above was not invited to join me around this hearth.

Dear goodness I was taking a dump while reading this and the laughter definitely assisted in the bowel movement. thank you! Laughter the best laxative.

You do raise a good point. Maybe I don't want my bedding to smell like ash. Unless it's a good ash smell.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 2, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Reiley posted:

Its different though. Like yeah my bedding may smell like ash, but at least fecal matter spray is not wafting itself onto the bread in the kitchen or on my bed, and the humidity from the shower or boiling water isn't creating a mold culture everywhere in the house. Ultimately though I dont know if I can tolerate my bedding and clothes smelling of ash though. You may have convinced me that the firepit is a bad idea unless I make it smokeless like a charcoal pit or something.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Rytheric posted:

Its different though. Like yeah my bedding may smell like ash, but at least fecal matter spray is not wafting itself onto the bread in the kitchen or on my bed, and the humidity from the shower or boiling water isn't creating a mold culture everywhere in the house. Ultimately though I dont know if I can tolerate my bedding and clothes smelling of ash though. You may have convinced me that the firepit is a bad idea unless I make it smokeless like a charcoal pit or something.
I mean, charcoal will still be nasty, carbon-monoxide-wise.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rytheric posted:

So you're going to have one house to take a shower, one house to cook, one house to take a poo poo, and one more to sleep?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Paladinus posted:

So you're going to have one house to take a shower, one house to cook, one house to take a poo poo, and one more to sleep?
If you make these houses share common walls for ease of construction, an interesting thing occurs.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Sir, did you not see his post where he clearly said hallways are unnatural??

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Paladinus posted:

Thats kind of the natural order of things. When I was living in the woods for a bit, a common rule of thumb was "Dont poo poo where you eat, don't eat where you sleep, and don't ever poo poo the bed." How this played out was you'd set up a sleeping tent somewhere about a mile from the river or creek. Then you would cook, eat, clean near the creek. Then you'd dig a cat hole to poo poo and cover up about a mile of so from either location (and preferably downstream). You can see this play out on the first season of Alone where the winner did what I described where as one of the former pathfinder school teachers was eating in camp which invited a mountain lion to investigate his campsite. Where I was camping in the woods there were 3 bears in the vicinity and a couple fox. You dont eat or poo poo where you sleep in bear country!

How this would work out in a detached living environment would be to have a shower house where you poop and shower, have a house where you sleep. Then have a gazebo you cook and eat at.

Here is a reference to the lifestyle I'd like:
https://youtu.be/Hr5s0ps9rAQ

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

someone posted about reinventing housing from first principles and yeah here we are.

at least it didnt take 10k years this time

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
French doors?? Pffffft more like freedom doors :patriot:

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Example of a shower house https://youtu.be/yIybUmJpTlU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Rytheric posted:

Thats kind of the natural order of things. When I was living in the woods for a bit, a common rule of thumb was "Dont poo poo where you eat, don't eat where you sleep, and don't ever poo poo the bed." How this played out was you'd set up a sleeping tent somewhere about a mile from the river or creek. Then you would cook, eat, clean near the creek. Then you'd dig a cat hole to poo poo and cover up about a mile of so from either location (and preferably downstream). You can see this play out on the first season of Alone where the winner did what I described where as one of the former pathfinder school teachers was eating in camp which invited a mountain lion to investigate his campsite. Where I was camping in the woods there were 3 bears in the vicinity and a couple fox. You dont eat or poo poo where you sleep in bear country!

How this would work out in a detached living environment would be to have a shower house where you poop and shower, have a house where you sleep. Then have a gazebo you cook and eat at.

Here is a reference to the lifestyle I'd like:
https://youtu.be/Hr5s0ps9rAQ

I dunno man I just live in an enclosed structure with plumbing and I've had zero bear attacks and cholera outbreaks for all 38 years of my life.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

mrmcd posted:

I dunno man I just live in an enclosed structure with plumbing and I've had zero bear attacks and cholera outbreaks for all 38 years of my life.

Lol. But what about your air quality?

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

If you make these houses share common walls for ease of construction, an interesting thing occurs.

:golfclap:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

showers are really inefficient wrt to water usage, so i think you should get a tub instead, so you can bathe in it. then you could call the structure a bath house, instead it's about the size of a room really, so maybe you could call it The Bath Room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Rytheric posted:

Lol. But what about your air quality?

my air quality is good until I light the indoor fire pit then I get real sleepy after a little bit. Natural melatonin in the wood or something I dunno not a doctor.