Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

Omobono posted:

By the way, taking bets on where the fertilizer that was used for the newly bought bread falls, on a scale that goes from "everything above board" to "soylent green".

Sitting Councilmember

Another new story to be told across the generations in Ankist... another looming reason to be doubtful, fearful and morose. Not that we needed much encouragement.

Regarding the joust, I think it would be nice, but don't have a strong stance. If nothing dramatic happens during this debate, I might back it just a little.

[ooc]I do love the card satirizing us - an expensive arena for the games of power played by the council, indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Sitting Member

Not sure why we should have a tournament but I'm not sure enough to be sure if I should care.

eliasswift
Jan 12, 2021

Now, let's count up your sins!

Senator

Well, let us be thankful that we weren't already heading down. Otherwise we'd be more in the hole than we are now.

As for the tournament... I feel like it'd be a waste of funds that are already going down. I don't know if paying for the tournament would be the proper investment. In fact, I can't see much of a loss by NOT doing it. At worst we've gotten a small suggestion from one military member saying, "Hey, what if we did this? That'll be nice."

We debate long term consequences, but for all we know, there could be no consequences for not holding a tournament. I'm not being naive. I know we can't always see the forest for the trees. But unless someone goes around spreading rumors that we might have a tourney, people aren't going to be disappointed.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Treasurer/Navigator

I really do think that we could use the time to enjoy ourselves here. We haven't been taking care of ourselves, the nobility.

And, out of character, I think that there's way too many fun story opportunities from hosting a tournament to let this go by. I don't know what will happen ,but it'll be interesting.

House Lethe, can I take your statement there as that you intend to vote aye? That is how I, personally, am leaning as well.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Second Cousin Thrice Removed

*A slightly inebriated member of House Pinchay goes to the podium and draws his sword*

I'll... I'll see you all on the jaw...jue..Jo... Jousting field!

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Foreman

House Pinchay isn't ideologically opposed to good times either. And actually, considering that the last two reigns have swung upwards at the speed of light, it might be good to try killing our sovereign with old age instead.

Very well, we are with Houses Lethe and Gambol on this. Break out the expensive wines and let's watch warriors hit each other upside the head.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

Blastinus posted:

Foreman

House Pinchay isn't ideologically opposed to good times either. And actually, considering that the last two reigns have swung upwards at the speed of light, it might be good to try killing our sovereign with old age instead.

Very well, we are with Houses Lethe and Gambol on this. Break out the expensive wines and let's watch warriors hit each other upside the head.

Sitting Councilmember

Indeed, we truly serve the realm by frittering a way a bit of money today. A toast then, to a long life, a long reign, and a well-worn groove on Her Majesty's throne!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Blastinus posted:

Foreman

That's a good idea but lowering Wealth won't necessarily work to accomplish that. Consider the first reign (King Harald V) - wealth was near at the bottom because we spent to gain stuff, but all the other stats were near the top. People felt OK lowering Wealth, but none of the other stats (understandable given their meaning).

To be honest, I suspect that Nay will actually have more of an overall negative consequence on Stability. Aye might lose Wealth, but we'll probably gain something else out of it. But I can't see any positive consequences arising from Nay, if you want to affect Stability in that way.

Also, Aye just plays into House Lethe's hands open-agenda wise, so I'm a bit on edge about that.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 3, 2021

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Nea posted:

Treasurer/Navigator

I really do think that we could use the time to enjoy ourselves here. We haven't been taking care of ourselves, the nobility.

And, out of character, I think that there's way too many fun story opportunities from hosting a tournament to let this go by. I don't know what will happen ,but it'll be interesting.

House Lethe, can I take your statement there as that you intend to vote aye? That is how I, personally, am leaning as well.

Sitting Councilman

I am leaning that way, but some of my fellow Dukes are not as sure. A few coins for some Mhuiran fried dough for hosting the tourney may help shore up opinions.

Blessed be The Mother.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 3, 2021

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted

Senator

The monocled nobleman nurses a cup of tea, staring at the black loaf of bread. "There is something wrong with this. Perhaps something military might give us better stuff for our mills."

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

scavy131 posted:

Senator

Black, ashy bread? Clearly My Lords have just never tasted the wonder that is pumpernickel bread, there's nothing strange about these shipments other than the new technique for fertilizer the Mhuirans have developed.

Honestly? Yeah. Or Graubrot. Some kind of Rye.

Sounds to me like the Mhuirans discovered marling.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

grandalt posted:

Senator

The monocled nobleman nurses a cup of tea, staring at the black loaf of bread. "There is something wrong with this. Perhaps something military might give us better stuff for our mills."

Something mill-itary? :v:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Hi! I had a go at the game this weekend with some friends, and we've enjoyed it quite a lot, so I'm going to have to bow out. Have fun killing sending kings to monasteries, guys!

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 3, 2021

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Fat Samurai posted:

Hi! I had a go at the game this weekend with some friends, and we've enjoyed it quite a lot, so I'm going to have to bow out. Have fun killing sending kings to monasteries, guys! I'd appreciate if you didn't revoke my House Discord privileges, it's fun to peek behind the curtain.
Sad to see you go, but happy that the LP has worked out as a good publicity for the game :)

House Cyfoeth is now first in list to receive some sign up reinforcements, if it's among the new players' preferences. This is also a reminder that if you want to sign up you can voluntarily skip your turn at the wheel and simply play as a "regular" noble, by posting your opinions without taking the more active roles :)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 3, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Mostly Accurate Senate Status Report
brought to you by House Daucus

Power/Coins

House Lethe: 9 Power, 11 Coins
House Gambol: 7 Power, 13 Coins
House Pinchay: 9 Power, 11 Coins
House Cyfoeth: 5 Power, 7 Coins
House Daucus: 10 Power, 11 Coins

Pressure Rating

Unfathomably Low - It's joust a tournament.
Seriously, this reign has been boring so far. Ever since House Gambol's bold declaration, the votes so far have been fairly tepid, with many Pass and Gather Powers. The problem is, no one has really seen things worth fighting for enough so far. It's kind of a stalemate.

I expect things will get bad when the next sticker or bitterly contested decision shows up.

Also, Queen Athene was a better name, in my opinion, but that's just me

Hidden Agenda Prediction
The usual warning applies.

House Gambol is doing the old Pass and Gather Money thing again. At this point, it's too early to tell what their agenda is, but there are some logical guesses based on their past performance and their getting to pick first.

Agenda: Rebel or Opulent
Confidence: #_ _ _ _

House Lethe... I have a working theory that they and House Daucus are fated to disagree. On, like, almost everything. I even checked the map of Ankist - Olwyn and Natar are next-door neighbors.
It explains a lot, at least.

Agenda: Extremist
Confidence: ## _ _ _

House Cyfoeth seems to have overextended themselves a bit. Can they make it back up soon?
To be fair, maybe they're why everyone has been playing it conservative. Each house is realizing, in their own time that overextending will come back and bite them in the rear - so it's worth picking their moment.

Agenda: Moderate
Confidence: #_ _ _ _

House Pinchay is also playing it cool this reign... so far. We'll see how they fare when debates heat up.

Agenda: Greedy
Confidence: ## _ _ _

And then there's us, the loyal underdogs.
Er, wait. Overdogs? We do have the most Prestige, but it was mostly by accident. I swear.
We're the loyal updogs.

Agenda: Planning and scheming about what to have for dinner.
Confidence: Zzzzzz.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

High Scholar

We just spent money preventing starvation, do we need to spend more money to show off via a joust? Seems in poor taste, does it not?

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

oldskool posted:

High Scholar

We just spent money preventing starvation, do we need to spend more money to show off via a joust? Seems in poor taste, does it not?

Senator

The Esteemed Lord from House Daucus has the right of it. There is a time to be loose with the purse-strings:hardship, famine, war. And there are times where unnecessary spending must be prevented. I'd argue that such frivolity does little other than show the smallfolk that we'll throw pennies towards their lives while we toss gold around for our own amusement at the drop of a hat.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

scavy131 posted:

Senator

The Esteemed Lord from House Daucus has the right of it. There is a time to be loose with the purse-strings:hardship, famine, war. And there are times where unnecessary spending must be prevented. I'd argue that such frivolity does little other than show the smallfolk that we'll throw pennies towards their lives while we toss gold around for our own amusement at the drop of a hat.

Sitting Councilmember

But if I may pose a counter-argument: What if something amusing occurs?

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

C... posted:

Sitting Councilmember

But if I may pose a counter-argument: What if something amusing occurs?

This raises an important question - does Ankist have a court tradition of the jesting arts?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Quackles posted:

And then there's us, the loyal underdogs.
Er, wait. Overdogs? We do have the most Prestige, but it was mostly by accident. I swear.
We're the loyal updogs.

Agenda: Planning and scheming about what to have for dinner.
Confidence: Zzzzzz.
Can I suggest some proper lasagna?

TravelLog posted:

This raises an important question - does Ankist have a court tradition of the jesting arts?

There's gotta be one. If there isn't, there's gotta be a dilemma about instituting one.

Senator
I'm going to be honest, I feel "what's the worst that can happen" to be a compelling argument to go aye.
It's not taunting Murphy if the worst would be funny.

LPFinale
Dec 8, 2019

Senator

On the one hand, we could be responsible and save funds, possibly with a Morale penalty.

On the other hand, we could throw caution to the wind and see what happens when we spend more money, possibly extending the reign in the process unless we run into lose-lose dilemmas later down the line.

Can't say I feel particularly strongly about either course of action, but I'm sure the house knows best on this one.

[ooc]Seriously though, every bone in my "Accept all events to see the consequences" dungeon crawler body is screaming for this Aye even though the same logic can be applied to Nay, it's a tough choice despite the piddly stakes[/ooc]

C...
Jan 22, 2008

LPFinale posted:

Senator

On the one hand, we could be responsible and save funds, possibly with a Morale penalty.

On the other hand, we could throw caution to the wind and see what happens when we spend more money, possibly extending the reign in the process unless we run into lose-lose dilemmas later down the line.

Can't say I feel particularly strongly about either course of action, but I'm sure the house knows best on this one.

[ooc]Seriously though, every bone in my "Accept all events to see the consequences" dungeon crawler body is screaming for this Aye even though the same logic can be applied to Nay, it's a tough choice despite the piddly stakes[/ooc]

[ooc]Circumstances like these make me wish we were playing over-the-board, as my Gloomhaven campaign involved a ton of "but what if we had picked the other option..." cheaty reading.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

C... posted:

[ooc]Circumstances like these make me wish we were playing over-the-board, as my Gloomhaven campaign involved a ton of "but what if we had picked the other option..." cheaty reading.
We may do a series of "what it's" once the campaign is over, if the thread wants it :)

Also, the deadline to submit your votes is in about 14h!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

That Italian Guy posted:

We may do a series of "what it's" once the campaign is over, if the thread wants it :)

Also, the deadline to submit your votes is in about 14h!

I admit I was totally hoping that you would show both halves of the back of the dilemma card (even though the second half is upside down) once we decided.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

LPFinale posted:

Senator

[ooc]I mean, Aye is the easy option. Why not pick Nay and see what happens?[/ooc]

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Reign of Queen Ilysia I, Dilemma 2, Resolution

Vote Results posted:

Votes Aye, spends 2 Power (current: 7), gains 0 Coins (current: 11).

Votes Aye, spends 2 Power (current: 5), gains 0 Coins (current: 13).

Votes Pass and gather Power, gains 2 Power (current: 7), gains 1 Coins (current: 8).

Votes Pass and gather Power, gains 2 Power (current: 12), gains 1 Coins (current: 12).

Votes Aye, spends 2 Power (current: 7), gains 0 Coins (current: 11).

Vote Outcome posted:

Ironically, the first time the Moderator would be called to decide the vote...it's on the first Dilemma without signing rights :v:

Envelope opened: 38

Our first Event card!

During this Dilemma we'll have a few changes to the normal discussion rules: since this is a secret vote, you don't have to post your opinions itt, unless you want to for any reason! This means you can feel free to discuss your options on the Discord channel in secret, then provide me with:
  • Your favorite champion to win.
  • The amount of Power, if any, that you want to spend supporting him.
  • The amount of Coins, if any, that you want to bet.

Since this is a secret vote, we'll still have a 48h window for the vote, but I'll update once I have all the bets, if this happens before the deadline. Also, in case it was unclear from the text, trashing all these cards means that there will be no signing rights on this vote either!

Resources and Stability change:

Chronicle stickers:

No changes.

Reign of Queen Ilysia I, Event: JOUST!

History of the Kingdom of Ankist posted:

Hall of Rulers

Storyline:

Storyline:

Storyline:

- Foreman/Sitting Councilmember: Phelddagrif (also Treasurer)

- Sitting Councilmember: Nea
- Treasurer/Navigator: LPFinale

- Sitting Councilmember: scavy131 (also Treasurer)

- High Scholar/Sitting Councilmember: TravelLog (also Treasurer)

- Sitting Councilmember: SporkChan
- Treasurer/Negotiator: Covski

:darksouls::darksouls::darksouls:

Stakes:

During this Dilemma we'll have a few changes to the normal discussion rules: since this is a secret vote, you don't have to post your opinions itt, unless you want to for any reason! This means you can feel free to discuss your options on the Discord channel in secret, then provide me with:
  • Your favorite champion to win.
  • The amount of Power, if any, that you want to spend supporting him.
  • The amount of Coins, if any, that you want to bet.

Since this is a secret vote, we'll still have a 48h window for the vote, but I'll update once I have all the bets, if this happens before the deadline. Also, in case it was unclear from the text, trashing all these cards means that there will be no signing rights on this vote either!

:darksouls::darksouls::darksouls:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Feb 4, 2021

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Mmm, how exciting!

Mmm, and this Mhuiran fried dough, mmm, wonderful! The honey on top is a nice touch :munch:

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
OOC Clarification:

Since this is a secret vote, and the only instructions are to bet on either fighter, is the option to Pass still available or must houses select one fighter to support?

C...
Jan 22, 2008

This is wonderful! Worth every penny.

Another ooc question - can we put power on one fighter and bid on the other?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

scavy131 posted:

OOC Clarification:

Since this is a secret vote, and the only instructions are to bet on either fighter, is the option to Pass still available or must houses select one fighter to support?

You can vote with 0 power and gold. That's a pass.

E:

C... posted:

This is wonderful! Worth every penny.

Another ooc question - can we put power on one fighter and bid on the other?
Nope.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Since the vote is secret can the houses lie in thread about who they're supporting? This would allow more trash talking in thread since they wouldn't have to worry about giving anything away.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Omobono posted:

You can vote with 0 power and gold. That's a pass.

E:

Nope.

Specifically, there's no opportunity here to Gather Power.

Day-Drunk Progress: 2 Ciders

I worry for Ser Milner. The design of his armour leads me to believe he'd have difficulty seeing out. Ah, but the opportunity for an exciting mystery knight situation!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

OK, this was worth it after all.

Now, who to bet on?

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

High Scholar

"Ah, the tourney. This reminds of the time that Edward, Black Prince of Mhuir, rode disguised against Sir Ulric von Enkhal in the year 27."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Senator

Give him the chair, good sir knight! The chair!

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Sitting Councilmember

Do not let this current tourney make us forget that in the Grand Toruney of 98, Sir Calaway, The Undertaker, threw Maan Kindheim off the tourney ring, and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer's table.

eliasswift
Jan 12, 2021

Now, let's count up your sins!

Senator

I do hope this tournament ends up in a melee duel rather than just jousting. I hear that "ties" on the jousting tournament can end up like that.

If so, I do hope we get to see Sir Ghildar, the champion of the people, drop his elbow onto Sir Milner. That would be quite electrifying!

C...
Jan 22, 2008

scavy131 posted:

Sitting Councilmember

Do not let this current tourney make us forget that in the Grand Toruney of 98, Sir Calaway, The Undertaker, threw Maan Kindheim off the tourney ring, and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer's table.

Day-Drunk Progress: 2 Ciders, a Lager, and an Ale

A timeless bout, none can disagree! Tell me sir, did your family that day favour Sir Kindheim, known by his soiled garments to be a friend of the common man?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

scavy131 posted:

OOC Clarification:

Already replied to, but yeah you can't pass and gather power in this vote :)

whitehelm posted:

Since the vote is secret can the houses lie in thread about who they're supporting? This would allow more trash talking in thread since they wouldn't have to worry about giving anything away.

You can of course say whatever you want itt, the different rule is that you don't have to be open about your voting intentions itt if you don't want to. This also mean that lying is acceptable in this vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Also my favourite jouster of all times is the mercenary known as Rowdy Paid Piper.