Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
I have still had occasional issues with weather in the US (mostly only loading the first flight and clear blue skies, and 29.92 pressure, for every flight after that) but there is a silly workaround that seems to work 100% of the time. When you first load into the world map, before you do anything else, switch the weather to the "clear sky" template. From that moment on, that will be the default weather the sim loads up. You can then set up your flight as normal, and as long as you don't change the preset it'll be permanent. Once you're in the cockpit you can then select "Live weather" from the menu and it'll load in the proper weather.

I've just resorted to using this trick every time because otherwise it's a coin-toss whenever I load in, sometimes it will work for every flight and other times only the first flight until I restart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Trillhouse posted:

I finally felt confident in my mastery of the A-10 to start working through The Enemy Within campaign. (Mostly I have trouble with the CDU, which does not cooperate with my brain in any way and I just kinda freeze up if I have to enter a new waypoint.)

Third mission, spot terrorist camp. Tell my flight to stay back, I want first crack at these guys. Do my strafing run, then tell them on comms to go ahead and start blasting.

No response. They all crashed into the mountains without firing a shot. I finish the job myself, fly home, their ghost voices haunting me as if this were a normal mission, and land. Mission complete.

Check the ED forums, apparently the AI can't handle mountains...

Every once in awhile I'm tempted to crack open DCS again to see if I can muster some satisfaction from it, but posts like this remind me to not bother.

In other flight sim news, I just got an RTX 3070 and flying FS2020 in VR is 100% what I was hoping for... so enjoyable doing those bush flights.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Kashwashwa posted:

Every once in awhile I'm tempted to crack open DCS again to see if I can muster some satisfaction from it, but posts like this remind me to not bother.

In other flight sim news, I just got an RTX 3070 and flying FS2020 in VR is 100% what I was hoping for... so enjoyable doing those bush flights.

AirGoons run DCS missions weekly and play sporadically during week, too on Reddit's servers. The above situation makes the Enemy Within campaign definitely frustrating, but it isn't in any way the standard representation of what DCS is or how it works today. Most campaigns run and work just fine, and Enemy Within's mountain bug is pretty known and should be fixed. The Raven One campaign for F-18 is considered like extra good by everyone, as an example. The Reforger for F-14, the Georgian War for F-15C are just some of the fantastic campaigns.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Vahakyla posted:

AirGoons run DCS missions weekly and play sporadically during week, too on Reddit's servers. The above situation makes the Enemy Within campaign definitely frustrating, but it isn't in any way the standard representation of what DCS is or how it works today. Most campaigns run and work just fine, and Enemy Within's mountain bug is pretty known and should be fixed. The Raven One campaign for F-18 is considered like extra good by everyone, as an example. The Reforger for F-14, the Georgian War for F-15C are just some of the fantastic campaigns.

Yeah I don't mean to discourage anyone, it's still fun and I'm still working through the campaign. I read that setting the flight to follow at a distance helps a lot, so I'm going to try that tonight.

I need to play some online co-op now that I'm confident I've got a handle on the A-10. I wish there were more campaigns translated to the new A-10 module though because it's too frustrating using the original A-10C and using all the different HOTAS commands and going without the HMS.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Bedurndurn posted:

First time back since October. So the weather still doesn't load in the US? There goes my dreams of dying horribly in tonight's snowstorm.

I had trouble with the live weather during the Chicago snowstorm the other day. Wind and pressures were spot on with the actual METAR, but cloud base was 10,000 broken instead of 1000 overcast and no precipitation. Other times, I get a beautiful sunny day but the ASOS is reporting overcast and rain.

But when the weather does work, it works really well.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Enemy Within Update: Putting the flight in "trail" formation seemed to do the trick and he survived the whole flight, despite the AO being in the middle of a steep canyon.

And I realized you can edit loadouts. The default loadouts have the old non-guided rocket pods, so I switched them for the Hydras. I use my secret trick I'm sure no one else has ever figured out: laze the first target in a convoy, shoot rockets every three seconds during an attack run, and quickly move the laser to the next target whenever the current one blows up. If you REALLY want to be fancy, you can assign each target to a markpoint, set your AAP steer point knob to "markpoint", bind steerpoint up/down, slave the tgp to the first markpoint and then use the steerpoint switch to automatically advance down the markpoint list and laze each target. I love the Hydras, they're like dollar-store laser Mavericks.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Trillhouse posted:

The default loadouts have the old non-guided rocket pods, so I switched them for the Hydras.

Hydras are unguided, APKWS are hydras converted to guided weapons.
:mil101:

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Xakura posted:

Hydras are unguided, APKWS are hydras converted to guided weapons.
:mil101:

I didn't know that. I have a lot of trouble differentiating the weapons in this game. I literally have a spreadsheet for the other monitor with everything listed because no-way can I remember the difference between a GBU-12, 32, 38, etc. If it has a laser code under it in the DSMS, it can be laser guided, but after that I'm lost.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Trillhouse posted:

I didn't know that. I have a lot of trouble differentiating the weapons in this game. I literally have a spreadsheet for the other monitor with everything listed because no-way can I remember the difference between a GBU-12, 32, 38, etc. If it has a laser code under it in the DSMS, it can be laser guided, but after that I'm lost.

https://www.airgoons.com/w/DCS_Reference/Stores_List

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Vahakyla posted:

For sure, I don't mean to crap on others positive experiences with it, just with my current circumstances I can only really do single player and have pretty limited time to invest so when I DO put the effort in to do some 'serious flight simming' having co-pilots crash into mountains, or flying through the earth when I go to land, or CTD's are just frustrating.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The F15 in VR in MSFS is pretty fun. The update released today enabled going past mach 1. Sure, unrealistic physics, but 1150 knots groundspeed hell yea.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've been getting into Elite & IL-2 recently, and have found that the very cheap HOTAS X I've had for years isn't going to cut it much longer. So, after some research I think the VKB Gladiator NXT is probably my best option. It looks like they're also coming out with a throttle "soon". So, my question, for someone that is going to be playing at least a few times a week is a set of rudder pedals worthwhile, or will the joystick twist be a fine substitute besides realism?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Mr E posted:

I've been getting into Elite & IL-2 recently, and have found that the very cheap HOTAS X I've had for years isn't going to cut it much longer. So, after some research I think the VKB Gladiator NXT is probably my best option. It looks like they're also coming out with a throttle "soon". So, my question, for someone that is going to be playing at least a few times a week is a set of rudder pedals worthwhile, or will the joystick twist be a fine substitute besides realism?

Joystick twist is the worst possible way to control rudder. You need to be able to keep the rudder in a position while simultaneously move the stick and that is near impossible by twisting. I use a thumb knob in my throttle to control rudder.

I don't have pedals myself but they are strongly recommended if you are serious enough about flying.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

lobsterminator posted:

Joystick twist is the worst possible way to control rudder. You need to be able to keep the rudder in a position while simultaneously move the stick and that is near impossible by twisting. I use a thumb knob in my throttle to control rudder.

I don't have pedals myself but they are strongly recommended if you are serious enough about flying.

That said, it is doable. People have managed it for years, though pedals or non-twist rudder control of some sort is generally easier. No harm in buying the NXT, messing with it, and looking for pedals if you get sufficiently annoyed with twist and can't figure something else out.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
I was browsing Instagram a few days ago when I came across this pendular rudder, a knockoff of a TPR. Unlike most of the other 3D printed models I've seen, this one actually looks like it would hold up to heavy use. If I find any round tuits, I might have a go at printing one.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Shine posted:

That said, it is doable. People have managed it for years, though pedals or non-twist rudder control of some sort is generally easier. No harm in buying the NXT, messing with it, and looking for pedals if you get sufficiently annoyed with twist and can't figure something else out.

I would maybe flip the issue on the head. If you feel you can't control the plane with a twist stick, don't give up but try to get your hands on some rudder pedals. Im 99 percent sure you'd see a night and day difference.

For reference, my performance with a twist stick was significantly worse and more unpleasant than flying with an xbox game pad.

So no harm in trying if it doesn't seem to work it's not your inability, it's the twist not working for you.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

lobsterminator posted:

My ancient X45 had a rudder rocker on the bottom of the throttle, and I always thought that was a cool idea. I think people that have throttles but not pedals are probably a solid minority though.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

You guys weren't kidding about GPUs being expensive. Was just browsing some stores and found that GTX3090s were costing in excess of 2300€ - and they weren't even in stock. Super glad that I have a 2070 and don't need to upgrade.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
I agree rudder pedals are a nice to have, not must have. In order of best bang for your buck after a HOTAS a TrackIR or another head tracking device should be your next piece of equipment. Definitely get rudder pedals after that if you're serious about flight simming.

I'm looking at VKB also. My 15 yearold x52 is on its last leg. Unfortunately it's the throttle that's dying so I don't really know what I want to replace it with.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

lobsterminator posted:

It's not quite that bad. I found it much easier to use joystick twist than pedals, but pedals are just way more fun, at least for planes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Pedals are nice, but I can't get mine to be quite as smooth as I would like around the detent in the middle. I feel like I would be smoother with the paddles on the throttle or with the joystick twist, but I like it to feel realistic.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I have a VR headset for head tracking and that's one reason I've been able to get into Elite & IL-2 after having trouble before. I definitely agree that twist isn't the greatest way to control rudders, so I'll at the least put those on a different hat or button. I'll probably hold off on pedals for now but might get VKB's option at some point since it seems pretty portable compared to other options, but does have software breaking instead of actual toe breaks so it might be worth getting one of the more expensive options instead. Either way I'll hold off on pedals for now. I'm going to see if I can somehow use the HOTAS X throttle with the VKB stick since it separates off of the stick (still attached) and put the stick under by desk til their throttle comes out and is in stock.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Mr E posted:

I have a VR headset for head tracking and that's one reason I've been able to get into Elite & IL-2 after having trouble before. I definitely agree that twist isn't the greatest way to control rudders, so I'll at the least put those on a different hat or button. I'll probably hold off on pedals for now but might get VKB's option at some point since it seems pretty portable compared to other options, but does have software breaking instead of actual toe breaks so it might be worth getting one of the more expensive options instead. Either way I'll hold off on pedals for now. I'm going to see if I can somehow use the HOTAS X throttle with the VKB stick since it separates off of the stick (still attached) and put the stick under by desk til their throttle comes out and is in stock.

If you want I can give you a sales pitch on the VKB pedals. I have them and they're excellent. I think they are near perfect from a usability & ergonomic standpoint.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

A friend gave me their old ps2-compatible logitech steering wheel and pedals. I used those as a rudder for a bit but as you can imagine it didn't sell the concept and twist has been ok. Would love to see what decent ones are like.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I have MFG Crosswind pedals and love them. I got them over the VKB because I prefer to have toe brakes (mostly for Elite, using them as supplemental throttle controls, like a quick reverse thruster with the left toe brake), but if you don't care about toe brakes, then the VKBs look really good. Can't speak for them personally, though.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah more than being in stock and the same place as the stick I was looking at, I've heard nothing but good things about the VKB pedals everywhere. The Crosswind pedals were the others I heard mentioned besides VIRPIL.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

For reference, the Virpil pedals are very good as well.
And also possibly available before the end of the decade. Maybe.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I ordered MFGs on Sunday for the reasons of toe brakes and I need a pretty wide stance. I also got the WAP kit.

That poo poo get here Friday, from Croatia.

Now just waiting for the VKB TECS throttle to be released and my vomit inducing VR HOTAS setup will be complete.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

While I have a full Thrustmaster warthog setup, not gonna lie but my circa 1998 Sidewinder Precision Pro with twist rudder is my go to daily stick for 95% of my flying. It's comfortable and just plain works with no fuss.

Also, got a 3090 and 850w power supply. Works awesome BUT haven't even tried FS yet.

Only game I've played so far is Rise of Nations :lol:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
There's 14 hours left in the sale, is IL-2 BOS+some expansions worth it? I still fire up a modded 1946 from time to time but it looks like rear end and I just checked wikipedia and I've been playing it since 2001. I think I just want more of the same (with hardcore sim options) but running on an engine that wasn't built when I had a 3dfx card.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

There's 14 hours left in the sale, is IL-2 BOS+some expansions worth it? I still fire up a modded 1946 from time to time but it looks like rear end and I just checked wikipedia and I've been playing it since 2001. I think I just want more of the same (with hardcore sim options) but running on an engine that wasn't built when I had a 3dfx card.

Yes

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Definitely, yes. I bought Battle of Moscow and Battle of Stalingrad's collectors editions figuring a.) they were cheapest and I could get the deluxe versions with the collector planes without feeling spendy, b.) it seemed like it was enough early-war content to occupy me for ages.
Once I realized how much I liked it, I bought...basically all of the rest of it over the next few days, plus all but one of the scripted campaigns.

If you get one, get Stalingrad. If you get two, get Stalingrad and either Kuban or Bodenplatte. Kuban's forested mountains/black sea map is the best in the game and the planes are really good. If you want the western front, Bodenplatte is the pick.
Moscow is cool but early war planes can be kinda rough and enh is probably just the least interesting of them all.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 5, 2021

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Yes, imo get Stalingrad + Kuban. Bodenplatte is nice too, I'm ambivalent on Moscow (the map is fairly featureless, particularly in winter).

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I hate Full realism Velikiye Luki so much.

So many rivers and lakes....

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
DCS has Lunar Sale starting today on their standalone client, and Steam client starting on 11th Feb. In addition, they will be in free to play for this time.

Swing by DCS Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633891

Reminder that goons run weekly missions in coop for DCS. If you aren't in combat flight sims, now's the time to hop in. Discord: https://discord.gg/HwzeCptMNR

You have to know precisely nothing to start. We shall help.

quote:

Most modules are offered with a 50% discount.
Modules with a 30% discount:
P-47D Thunderbolt
The Channel
F/A-18C Hornet
F-16C Viper
A-10C II Tank Killer
Supercarrier
Exceptions:
F-14A/B Tomcat will have a 15% discount
JF-17 Thunder will be only $59.99
New Campaigns are not on sale
DCS: Syria

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 5, 2021

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Another free week? While I'm off to recover from moving for half the week already?

:krad:

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Excited to try out some new planes again. I tried most of them during the last free-fly event but didn't know anything about flying a post-wwii plane so their quirks/strengths and weaknesses were lost on me.

Will probably get the EA F-16, maybe the Jeff and the Mig-21. I already have the A-10CII, F-18 and Huey. I also want to mess around with the Harrier some more.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
FWIW I really like the Mi-8 and it's what I've been flying the most since like, December.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
I bought the standalone DCS A10 on steam back in 2013. Is this not compatible with DCS world? It looks like the steam page no longer exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Aero737 posted:

I bought the standalone DCS A10 on steam back in 2013. Is this not compatible with DCS world? It looks like the steam page no longer exists.

Does this page say you own it? https://store.steampowered.com/app/245810/DCS_A10C_Warthog/