Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Do what they say and see what happens. It may be that it ends up fine, if it fucks up then it's on them anyway because they've recognised it's a problem.

It's stupid that a brand that uses pretty iffy carbon manufacturing still designs parts that require such tight tolerances. Aero posts is one of those areas where designers can't seem to help trying to get that last 0.1 W at the complete cost of usability. How much could a boltier plate on the kammback side hurt? Might hurt their bottom line to manufacture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Looks like they developed a lovely bootleg pivotless version of IsoSpeed and somehow didn't account for the fact that the seatpost will actually flex more than .5mm, causing interference/collision issues. Seriously what the hell? Why didn't they just make the opening extra wide and put a thick rubber collar around it like on the Specialized Roubaix?

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 28, 2021

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

Looks like they developed a lovely bootleg pivotless version of IsoSpeed and somehow didn't account for the fact that the seatpost will actually flex more than .5mm, causing interference/collision issues. Seriously what the hell? Why didn't they just make the opening extra wide and put a thick rubber collar around it like on the Specialized Roubaix?

Yeah, this the same line of thought I had. Make the post a tiny bit smaller, put a rubber gasket around it and have the gasket also serve as a collar. Right now there won’t be anything stopping water ingress and it’ll only get worse as it wears.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

FWIW I was considering waiting for the new Aeroad to come out to see what it was like before ordering the new Tarmac, and I'm increasingly very happy I didn't.

Admittedly I haven't ridden the Tarmac yet because it got delayed for ages and the weather round here has been atrocious, but it looks cool sitting around.

Update: I couldn't put it off for any longer and went for a ride today and holy poo poo that's a good bike

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Fun with Canyon and their startling lack of any consistency on how one should assemble their bike.

- Printed instructions with bike and step by step instructions on the Canyon site: grease the seat tube, no mention of assembly paste.
- Canyon USA video, on the same page as the step by step instructions: grease seat tube, apply assembly paste to lower seatpost only.
- Canyon USA YouTube video: same as above, except the assembly paste section has been cut from the video.
- Canyon USA service center: cover the entire seatpost in fiber grip.

I started a chat with Canyon UK to see if they knew anything different:

So not only are these instructions in direct conflict with each other on the prescribed way to properly install the seatpost, Canyon is simultaneously blaming the abrasion damage on both using assembly paste and also not using it.

Can’t see this being fixed properly. Waiting for a follow up from my ticket.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

"if customers have found any problems, we will help them where we can"
Delineate the options, motherfucker. That's just stalling.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Fun with Canyon and their startling lack of any consistency on how one should assemble their bike.

- Printed instructions with bike and step by step instructions on the Canyon site: grease the seat tube, no mention of assembly paste.
- Canyon USA video, on the same page as the step by step instructions: grease seat tube, apply assembly paste to lower seatpost only.
- Canyon USA YouTube video: same as above, except the assembly paste section has been cut from the video.
- Canyon USA service center: cover the entire seatpost in fiber grip.

I started a chat with Canyon UK to see if they knew anything different:

So not only are these instructions in direct conflict with each other on the prescribed way to properly install the seatpost, Canyon is simultaneously blaming the abrasion damage on both using assembly paste and also not using it.

Can’t see this being fixed properly. Waiting for a follow up from my ticket.

I did some poking around after your post and found a myriad of complaints about the aeroad frame, mostly relating to tolerances and QA. Another annoying one I saw is the frame destroying internal cable routing over a short period of time. I’m pretty sure it was only to the rear derailleur so if you are wireless it won’t matter, but in general it seems like the pandemic and knock-on effects have really screwed with canyons supply chain and they haven’t reacted to it very well.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Canyon has taken the Aeroad down from both the European and the American stores (in that all items are labelled "notify me", despite there being plenty of stock in yesterday when I checked).

Who's betting on a recall

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Canyon has taken the Aeroad down from both the European and the American stores (in that all items are labelled "notify me", despite there being plenty of stock in yesterday when I checked).

The VCLS seatpost shipped with a carbon shim to space out the undersized post in most seat tubes.
I'm 80% confident that's gonna be their fix approach, some metal shim to shield that part of the post. Direct mailed to buyers with optional rebate for having a pro install it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Ah thanks for this. I had seen chatter about it being unavailable in EU, UK, and Asian markets but I know as of yesterday they had a number of CFR bikes in the USA listed for sale. I doubt they sell a ton of $9k bikes a day.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I’m thinking of buying a gravel bike as a touring bike and bad weather commuter. I’m a little stuck about size - I don’t have the option to physically try out the model I want since I’ll be ordering it internationally.

My current commuter and fun bike is a Trek FX 3. When I bought it, they put me on a large. At first, it felt a little big, and admittedly it is a bit tall when I’m standing still, but after riding it for awhile every other aspect feels perfect. I’m 5’9” and have an inseam of ~31” (+/- 1” because I’m not sure I’m measuring properly). Every metric seems to put me on a medium, and the rep I asked about the bike I want to buy was pretty firm that I absolutely belong on a medium (and said I also belong on a medium Trek). I am, of course, inclined to believe them since they know far better than I, but I’m afraid it is going to feel tiny after being on, and liking, a large and I’m going to be pissed and regret the purchase. Am I insane? Should I just buy the medium? If I get the medium am I going to feel weird every time I switch between the medium and the large or will I get used to having two different sized bikes?

Edit: The bike I’m thinking of buying is the Priority Apollo. It rains a shitload here, especially in summer, I commute by bike, and I’m dreading the upkeep on my chain/drive come July when it essentially rains like crazy for a month straight - a belt drive is really appealing. Also for touring/bikepacking.

Tuxedo Gin fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 29, 2021

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Get the medium for sizing. It's easy to make it fit a touch bigger but good luck making it fit if it's way too big. Given what you've told us the Medium is probably the perfect fit.

As for the drivetrain IDK if I'd want to tour on a belt drive mated to a Shimano IGH. I know the Nexus doesn't like high torque all that much no idea how well the Alfine deals with it. It doesn't have quite as wide a gearing as a traditional touring setup and most importantly GLHF if anything goes wrong with it on an actual tour. If something weird happened to that drivetrain you'd be stuck or a few days possibly weeks waiting on parts. With a traditional drivetrain if something blows up on your tour generally you can sort yourself out once you make it to the next town.

The bike at least has the better CDX belt that puts up with even more abuse than the CDN.

It looks like the thing has a derailleur hanger. I'd do some reading about touring on an Alfine IGH with a belt drive. There's always the option of ditching the belt for a traditional chain driveline or going good ol cassette and derailleur for when you want to hit the road with 40lbs of gear strapped to the thing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

I know the Nexus doesn't like high torque all that much no idea how well the Alfine deals with it.

30 gear-inches on the lower end, or 5.4mph / 8.6kph when pedaling a moderate 60rpm.
That's kinda steep, especially when coupled with touring load. A 34x32 road bike is 29 gear inches, for comparison.

You could get different belt gears/cranks, but then it'd get pricier.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

EvilJoven posted:

Get the medium for sizing. It's easy to make it fit a touch bigger but good luck making it fit if it's way too big. Given what you've told us the Medium is probably the perfect fit.

As for the drivetrain IDK if I'd want to tour on a belt drive mated to a Shimano IGH. I know the Nexus doesn't like high torque all that much no idea how well the Alfine deals with it. It doesn't have quite as wide a gearing as a traditional touring setup and most importantly GLHF if anything goes wrong with it on an actual tour. If something weird happened to that drivetrain you'd be stuck or a few days possibly weeks waiting on parts. With a traditional drivetrain if something blows up on your tour generally you can sort yourself out once you make it to the next town.

The bike at least has the better CDX belt that puts up with even more abuse than the CDN.

It looks like the thing has a derailleur hanger. I'd do some reading about touring on an Alfine IGH with a belt drive. There's always the option of ditching the belt for a traditional chain driveline or going good ol cassette and derailleur for when you want to hit the road with 40lbs of gear strapped to the thing.

kimbo305 posted:

30 gear-inches on the lower end, or 5.4mph / 8.6kph when pedaling a moderate 60rpm.
That's kinda steep, especially when coupled with touring load. A 34x32 road bike is 29 gear inches, for comparison.

You could get different belt gears/cranks, but then it'd get pricier.

Thanks for the replies, I'm fairly new to cycling as a serious hobby. I mainly want the belt drive for my daily commute, as the weather here sucks as I said and I want something lower maintenance. I guess I may need to explore other options in the future if I get serious about doing any touring/bikepacking. I'll go for the medium if I pull the trigger on the Priority.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

It looks like the thing has a derailleur hanger. I'd do some reading about touring on an Alfine IGH with a belt drive.

kimbo305 posted:

I'd never ever tour on a shimano IGH. The gear range is garbo and they hate torque so you can't actually widen it that much. Gates CDX and Rohloff I wouldn't mind at all, but $kidney.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Thanks for the replies, I'm fairly new to cycling as a serious hobby. I mainly want the belt drive for my daily commute, as the weather here sucks as I said and I want something lower maintenance. I guess I may need to explore other options in the future if I get serious about doing any touring/bikepacking. I'll go for the medium if I pull the trigger on the Priority.
Keep in mind that while belt don't require maintenance, shimano IGH most certainly do (typically a new bath every 5k?). Some have a bleed port (easy peasy, just need a syringe), some don't and require extracting the internals to lube-bath them (argh).

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 29, 2021

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

evil_bunnY posted:

I'd never ever tour on a shimano IGH. The gear range is garbo and they hate torque so you can't actually widen it that much. Gates CDX and Rohloff I wouldn't mind at all, but $kidney.

Keep in mind that while belt don't require maintenance, shimano IGH most certainly do (typically a new bath every 5k?). Some have a bleed port (easy peasy, just need a syringe), some don't and require extracting the internals to lube-bath them (argh).

Yeah, I have done the research on that. I'm fairly technically/mechanically inclined, and enjoy that kind of thing - I just don't enjoy bike maintenance after biking home at 9pm in torrential rains every day for weeks on end.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
This is more and more looking like a job for N+2. :homebrew:

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

EvilJoven posted:

This is more and more looking like a job for N+2. :homebrew:

I'm starting to feel that way. Well, not my first N+1/N+2 hobby, nor is it even my most expensive hobby.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Doing my irregular plugging of the discord server:

https://discord.gg/7P3gzXR

Come on out all are welcome.

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a
Hi bichael thread, my wife and I got bichaels a few weeks ago after having not rode at all since we were kids. I only get the chance to ride every few days and it’s mostly been short 1-2 mile loops around the neighborhood. I rode 4 miles yesterday and it was great and today My Taint Hurts. Planning to ride again today, sorry taint.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Pound your taint into submission, it's how it's done.

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

Does anyone have any experience with Vittoria Terreno Zero tires? I've heard the width can run large, but I wanted to hear some first-hand accounts if possible. I can currently get some for a really good price, but only in a borderline size (700x38). If it's true to size I can fit them under my fenders no problem, if they run large I might have some issues.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Pound your taint into submission, it's how it's done.

Also do some bicycling

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Biggus Duckus posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Vittoria Terreno Zero tires? I've heard the width can run large, but I wanted to hear some first-hand accounts if possible. I can currently get some for a really good price, but only in a borderline size (700x38). If it's true to size I can fit them under my fenders no problem, if they run large I might have some issues.

I got some 650x47s and they measure out at 58mm wide.

Edit: can't report on ride quality cause that ended up being too wide for my fenders, too. Doh!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bicievino posted:

I got some 650x47s and they measure out at 58mm wide.

Edit: can't report on ride quality cause that ended up being too wide for my fenders, too. Doh!

This is crazy. What width wheel?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

This is crazy. What width wheel?

25mm internal

sunday brunch
Dec 31, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

Idk if I posted this already but when we attempted to custom build some fat bikes for a lower price point for the 2019 winter after Giant screwed us we ended up needing 2 people and a screwdriver to pry the wire bead tires we were going to sell off of the Mulefut rims on those bikes. That was a lovely discovery but at least we only ruined 3 out of the 6 tires we needed to take off and none of the bikes had left the shop before we made that horrible discovery. Had to cut the bead on one of them with wire cutters.

Mulefuts and cheap Kenda fat bike tires do not mix.

Try laying the wheel on the floor and standing on the tyre sidewalls. Obviously only really useful for fat or plus tyres and probably not 100% something I'd do on a carbon rim. The shop I work in used to sell an oddly large amount of fat/plus bikes (Surly/Salsa/Sarma/Jones) for suburban London and this was a technique taught to me by the previous mechanic.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I'm getting poo poo together for the spring and I lost my Giant Neostrack back in November, what's good to replace it with?

I may just buy another Neostrack since they're like $180 now.

I just want something I can turn on and ignore for nine-ten hours that'll record my route.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 31, 2021

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

sunday brunch posted:

Try laying the wheel on the floor and standing on the tyre sidewalls. Obviously only really useful for fat or plus tyres and probably not 100% something I'd do on a carbon rim. The shop I work in used to sell an oddly large amount of fat/plus bikes (Surly/Salsa/Sarma/Jones) for suburban London and this was a technique taught to me by the previous mechanic.

Believe me we tried this and every other trick in the book to get those tires off. In the end we took them off by force binned the ones we damaged and bought new tires to put on them and told all our buyers that if they slashed them to not cave in to the temptation to put a Kenda on in an attempt to save a few bucks.

As for why fat bikes are so popular in the UK, it's because the flotation let's riders go along super muddy cow paths and stuff without getting bogged down. Phone posting in the middle of a skate so I'm not gonna go looking for it but do a vid search for 'Fatbike electric fence' for an awesome vid of some UK fatbikers trying to hop the wrong fence. :xd:

Also, skating uses so many different muscles than cycling. I'm only 7k in and ugh. Beautiful though.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 31, 2021

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
otherthread

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 1, 2021

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Just saw a youtube video of one of my favorite riders getting concussed because he was wearing a lovely uncertified protec helmet. I'm sick of seeing people lose their careers to these things please don't buy or recommend protec.

edit; nobody did that here, I'm just mad and saying in general.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

You can still get concussed in certified helmets

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Protec uncertified helmets are a single layer of plastic about 2m thick that is so thin that the helmet is transparent to light. They're made to let kids skirt helmet rules at skateparks. If you squeeze one in your hands they're so thin you can squish the two sides of the helmet together until they touch and it springs back into place.

Timestamped to the exact helmet I'm talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH1VNa5-F9s&t=80s

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 2, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You can still get concussed in certified helmets
You can still get hurt in a car accident wearing a seatbelt.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Protec uncertified helmets are a single layer of plastic about 2m thick that is so thin that the helmet is transparent to light. They're made to let kids skirt helmet rules at skateparks. If you squeeze one in your hands they're so thin you can squish the two sides of the helmet together until they touch and it springs back into place.

Just like an old leather helmet -- slide protection at best.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Timestamped to the exact helmet I'm talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH1VNa5-F9s&t=80s

Holy moly

In other news, I'm planning on getting this to finish off some bar tape, amazon, I don't know what you think I need it for

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I've been using Silicone tape instead of eletrical tape. Feels much cleaner and doesn't leave a residue.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Shadowhand00 posted:

I've been using Silicone tape instead of eletrical tape. Feels much cleaner and doesn't leave a residue.

Interesting - will go with what I've ordered for now, but will try it out next time around

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
super 33+ shouldn’t leave any residue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Shadowhand00 posted:

I like tesa tape for this, personally.