Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Flapjack Monty posted:

Godspeed You! Black Mage

The World Ends With Your Girlfriend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

From the people that brought you "Anthem"!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Rarity posted:

I've been wanting to get into her, can you recommend any particular songs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhbbEUJ2TF4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1SAUKy0SVw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZruInYsvwuY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hky6cifwWyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq1uQCOfRIQ

its possible shes never made a bad track awooo

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
One story beat I really like in P5 is the actions of the main characters having impossible to hide consequences, forcing the world to respond and react to impossible to explain events. Is that a thing in the other ones? Or are the kids adventures more self-contained?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

love when video game virtual cameras emulate the physical defects intrinsic to the specific mechanisms by which physical cameras work

I cannot believe a AAA video game would poorly try to emulate being a movie.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Film grain will never not be cool though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

One story beat I really like in P5 is the actions of the main characters having impossible to hide consequences, forcing the world to respond and react to impossible to explain events. Is that a thing in the other ones? Or are the kids adventures more self-contained?

Persona 1 and 2 deal with weird poo poo happening in the real world so it's hard to ignore there. There's less of an "other world" element.

Persona 3 and 4 happen mostly in secret though. Persona 3 involves stuff most people aren't even aware is happening. Persona 4 has a serial murder mystery as its central plot but the main characters' involvement in solving the mystery and stopping the murders is never known to the public.

Persona 5 stands out with the Phantom Thieves' actions having public consequences even if most people have no idea what they're actually doing or who they are, while still not being about demons in the real world like 1 and 2.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 3, 2021

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdwafYDlXtU

They're doing more than they let on for some reason

They got Mariska Hargitay? Is Ice-T in it now as well?

"man, that's hosed up. Shepard wakes up, they tell her she died and now she's a robot with a hosed up face"

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

ErrEff posted:

From the people that brought you "Anthem"!

Oh, you meant the game. I almost went on a rant about Good Charlotte.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Wait wait

The Spice Catgirls

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Harrow posted:

Persona 1 and 2 deal with weird poo poo happening in the real world so it's hard to ignore there. There's less of an "other world" element.

Persona 3 and 4 happen mostly in secret though. Persona 3 involves stuff most people aren't even aware is happening. Persona 4 has a serial murder mystery as its central plot but the main characters' involvement in solving the mystery and stopping the murders is never known to the public.

Persona 5 stands out with the Phantom Thieves' actions having public consequences even if most people have no idea what they're actually doing or who they are, while still not being about demons in the real world like 1 and 2.

Thanks!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

post-me1 vanguard was pretty good

Of course it took until 3 before you to play as a biotic pinball.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
There's a Japanese musician called Final Fantasy but his music from what I recall is just sort of breezy indie folk and completely unrelated to the game series

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Whoops, Canadian

Michael James Owen Pallett (born September 7, 1979) is a Canadian composer, violinist, keyboardist, and vocalist, who performs solo as Owen Pallett or, before 2010, under the name Final Fantasy. As Final Fantasy, he won the 2006 Polaris Music Prize for the album He Poos Clouds.[1]

Lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Checking the Resident Evil Village board on Steam

:thunk:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I dont think that person even played RE7

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Like I guess you can make the argument that RE7 was very different from the rest of the series, but also the game is so freaking good that it doesn't matter.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Bold of him to say that the series is ruined forever despite the fact that they released his favorite modern survival horror game 2 years ago

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

I said come in! posted:

Like I guess you can make the argument that RE7 was very different from the rest of the series, but also the game is so freaking good that it doesn't matter.
You can't really even generalize like that anymore at this point, when you get right down to it. Resident Evil as a series comes in five or six different and distinct flavours of gameplay by now. It's not possible for any game to be similar to the rest of the series as a whole because they vary so wildly that no single game can be similar to the entire series at the same time. You can really only compare any given game to a particular era of Resident Evil.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

It's funny that a dead series has put out like 10 games in the past decade.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I said come in! posted:

Checking the Resident Evil Village board on Steam

:thunk:

haha tall lady go stab

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

haveblue posted:

haha tall lady go stab

I just learned today that Village is about a group of tall ladies that want to murder you. I'm a lot more hyped now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

RE7 is literally about both a resident evil and a biohazard, it owns so much

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Residential Evil 7

e: god dammit I just realized Resident Evil basically just means Evil House which is hilarious

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Aren't they all? I mean, evil is always residing somewhere, although I guess half the time it's more of a squatter.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I understand why they didn’t use the name Biohazard in English but I don’t know why they picked Resident Evil to replace it. Same as I understand why they didn’t call the boxer M. Bison but I don’t know why they solved the problem by swapping names around instead of just giving him a new name.

90s Capcom had some weird ideas.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It was called Resident Evil because it took place in a house and they didn't think that the Japan branch would go on to make many more games not set in houses.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

hello!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's actually a reference to an older Capcom game, Sweet Home, which used the phrase Resident Evil in its opening narration. In a lot of ways, Sweet Home is the ur-survival horror.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

I understand why they didn’t use the name Biohazard in English but I don’t know why they picked Resident Evil to replace it. Same as I understand why they didn’t call the boxer M. Bison but I don’t know why they solved the problem by swapping names around instead of just giving him a new name.

90s Capcom had some weird ideas.

some part of me respects capcom's stubbornness but another part really wishes mega man were called rock everywhere

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think at one point, they did just go to his real name being Rock.

Broshevik
Mar 25, 2011

No Pain
They were going to just call it House but unfortunately a horror franchise had already staked a claim on that name in the 80s

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If Sony can suddenly unify the face button functions between Japan and the rest of the world, then Capcom can just announce that the general is named Vega from now on.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've always wondered that the M. stands for.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Really weird that they chose to name drop Van Helsing starring Huge Hatman, unless there’s another newer one I’m not aware of. Like I don’t think anyone’s thought of that movie since like 2005.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

I've always wondered that the M. stands for.
Mike.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

...oh my God, for 30 years that pun has been staring me in the face and I've only now finally understood it.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I just learned today that Village is about a group of tall ladies that want to murder you. I'm a lot more hyped now.

It also leans super hard into the Bloodborne aesthetic.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Residential Evil 7

e: god dammit I just realized Resident Evil basically just means Evil House which is hilarious

The story behind the English title is funny - people sometimes like to use it as an example of weird Engrish, but it was actually voted on by a bunch of Capcom US employees who then had to convince the Japanese headquarters that it was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

...oh my God, for 30 years that pun has been staring me in the face and I've only now finally understood it.
Well yeah, that was deliberately obfuscated by Capcom. Because Mike Tyson was in prison for rape at the time.

But they couldn’t do something sensible and just give the character another name, they had to play musical chairs with the names and confuse people for the rest of time.