Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My most played game was Persona 5 Royal with 153 hours. Next highest was Cold Steel 3 with 55, then Nioh 2 with 41.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

SUNKOS posted:

There used to be. Later in the game where you find Eileen the crow resting on the steps outside the building you fought Amelia in? There's a hunter boss in there (or depending on earlier decisions you might fight Eileen instead, either ways it's optional) and the weapon he uses will inflict self damage until he heals. He was broken for quite a while however and you could just walk back down the steps and he'd chase without bothering to heal himself and eventually just bleed out without you needing to do anything except walk close enough for him to start attacking you. He would always try to return to the actual arena where he would heal himself if he did, but all you had to do was take a couple steps forward to re-aggro him and he'd be stuck in a loop with you just stepping back and forth as he bled out.

They later patched it so he wouldn't pursue players as far and would heal himself more regularly. You can kinda still employ the same tactics however but more to get cheap hits in than have him bleed out. If you ever want to get all the weapons in the game you need to fight him.

Edit: There's also the hunter gunner on that small tower that you could get to suicide by dodging just right and he'd jump to his death. The real pain was wandering around afterwards trying to find his bloodstain and get his gear.

i know this is forever back by now but a little :bloodborne101: is that if that guy dies from falling off the tower leaving the zone and coming back makes his loot spawn on top of the tower where he loads at

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
After spending 95% of my monster hunting with either hammer or great sword it is very satisfying to go dual blades and dice a Paolumu

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Well, I finally did it. I lost 8500 geo to a room full of loving exploding eggs

I hate those and everything they stand for, if you're talking about the one in the Fog Wastes or whatever. that's why it's nice to have the house at the far right of Hallownest open so you can get it back without going through it again in situations like that.

my favourite fight, I think, is the Mantis Lords or whatever they're called. It just seems the most fair and carefully balanced. easy to pick up the patterns for the most part but still challenging at the end when things get a little crazy. plus you get mantis respect afterwards.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

morallyobjected posted:

I hate those and everything they stand for, if you're talking about the one in the Fog Wastes or whatever. that's why it's nice to have the house at the far right of Hallownest open so you can get it back without going through it again in situations like that.

my favourite fight, I think, is the Mantis Lords or whatever they're called. It just seems the most fair and carefully balanced. easy to pick up the patterns for the most part but still challenging at the end when things get a little crazy. plus you get mantis respect afterwards.

It was in Fog Canyon yeah. At least I got a charm slot at the end of it!

I should really be doing more bosses but I keep exploring places instead. I did the canyon and made it to Queen’s Gardens and then accidentally went to Deepnest again but I found the tram pass while I was trying to get out which is cool. I got the Cartographer trophy so there can’t be too much more to do

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

It was in Fog Canyon yeah. At least I got a charm slot at the end of it!

I should really be doing more bosses but I keep exploring places instead. I did the canyon and made it to Queen’s Gardens and then accidentally went to Deepnest again but I found the tram pass while I was trying to get out which is cool. I got the Cartographer trophy so there can’t be too much more to do

there are honestly a decent number of hidden areas, even if you get the maps (including one that leads to the last DLC), and there's always the White Palace to get through, which requires you to do most of the boss refights and stuff to get essence. but just mainline story stuff, yeah, you'd be pretty close.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Exploring was the part I liked, I stopped playing when all i had left were bosses

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

because I'm def not playing 7 hours a day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNJt0BH3VTw

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

Exploring was the part I liked, I stopped playing when all i had left were bosses

Don't steal my epitaph

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I really like the theme of the final boss (regular). I don't remember a lot of other final bosses that start trying to kill themselves in the middle of the fight because of how hosed up everything is

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

hmm

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I can’t post the image for some reason but my top 3 games were: Dark Souls 3 (67hrs), Sekiro (47hrs), the last of us 2 (45hrs). Three good games imo

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

But also they give you a PS4 theme? where’s my ps5 theme $ony :mad:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

They never send mine, but I know they were Death Stranding (160 hours), Phantom Pain (160 hours) and FF7R (60 hours).

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
How long does Persona 5 take to give you a sense of how the game plays?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

imhotep and i will be goonganking mons tonight say 10 or 11pm PST? What works for you, homie?

Anyways, if there are freaks itt in other timezones that need monhelp or would like to monhurl themselves through the monjungle with goon rear end monhoonters then friend either of us or just let us know somehow on PSN. once we get people into a gathering hub i can send out squad invites

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
o cheez dont make me stay up late to make new friends its hard enough spending time with the bros i got the nerds

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Casnorf posted:

o cheez dont make me stay up late to make new friends its hard enough spending time with the bros i got the nerds

i'm sure we'll be doing an afternoon session one of these days, too. if there's one thing i know from scanning my friends list over the last several years it's that imhotep and i are both X-TREME west coast nightowls tho

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

TheCenturion posted:

The basic rhythm of long doses of story, semi-interactive social life and dungeon crawling are more or less revealed in the first chapter but it continues to introduce new mechanics and characters for pretty much the entire game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

The basic rhythm of long doses of story, semi-interactive social life and dungeon crawling are more or less revealed in the first chapter but it continues to introduce new mechanics and characters for pretty much the entire game.

Vertical slice of that game is the first 10 hours

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

imhotep and i are both X-TREME west coast nightowls tho

If I got some advance warning I can drag the ol' pro to work and pretend to be uh networking sure that's the ticket.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Er for afternoons that is guess who is burnt out from having a silly off hours project work in test but not in proto!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Casnorf posted:

If I got some advance warning I can drag the ol' pro to work and pretend to be uh networking sure that's the ticket.

hehe yup we'll do our best

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Midjack posted:

They never send mine, but I know they were Death Stranding (160 hours), Phantom Pain (160 hours) and FF7R (60 hours).

oh that reminds me I put like 60 hours into Death Stranding this year how did that not make it. I guess I started it in 2019? maybe thats it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow concrete genie is gorgeous looking.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

Wow concrete genie is gorgeous looking.

I really liked Concrete Genie overall, and I'm glad more people get a chance to try it as it is a gorgeous little game and reminds me a lot of the neat platformer games smaller studios used to put out for the PS2 (think like Vexx or Kya Dark Lineage, if that makes sense?). It really needed a bit more polish, the stealth gameplay's a bit so-so, but painting is a lot of fun.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TheCenturion posted:

not until after the first palace really. it gives you some ideas during it but until you have at least three party members and free reign to choose your own schedule the game is kind of on training wheels

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

all aboard goongankin, last call!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am inordinately excited for the Mass Effect trilogy.

ME3 is my absolute favourite of the series (and 10th favourite game ever) and knowing you will get all 3 games with all their DLC for a pretty fine price (as opposed to the normal hoopla you have to go through with points and whatnot) feels like a steal. Some of the DLC is tremendous and just having them as part of it is excellent.

Though I am not too pleased that the red sky is gone. However I am pleased that Femshep is default because she is the best :D

Plus Lady VG has never seen any of them!

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

VideoGames posted:

Saturday morning I had fellow mod ShallNoiseUpon and fellow goons Wuggles and FlowerRhytmnREMIX take me through the beginning of Monster Hunter World.

I am rocking the dual bladesaws and taking my agressive bloodborne stance into the game.

I think it is fine. I am not bothered about the story or playing it solo, but in a group I could see myself having an OK time with it. We finished just after my entry level character helped to destroy the swamp monster in the second map unlock area.

Yeah the story is less of a narrative and more of an excuse to have all these massive fights and set pieces, what really grips you is more gameplay stuff, like learning how to fight, how to face each monster, and setting your sights on certain gear. So don't worry about it too much. I also started off with the Dual Blades, they're a great fast light weapon especially if you like dashing around and beyblading the monster to pieces, but I eventually traded them out for the Charge Blade (which is a bit heftier and tankier, and very satisfying when you land your biggest attacks) when I finished low rank. Since then also picked up a couple other weapons I'm not as confident with but still enjoy, and I do also go back to the Dual Blades sometimes, especially when I unlock new event weapons like the Whetfish Sabres. So if you ever decide your main weapon isn't doing it for you anymore, maybe a change in playstyle will help. After all, every weapon type is viable so I suggest taking something new for a spin against a weaker monster like a Great Jagras and opening up a weapon guide (Aarekz makes some really good videos) to see how to really make each weapon shine.

Samurai Sanders posted:

World just directly tells you where to go next for the most part though. They took out the challenge of that but not the time it takes to do it.

But either way, it’s the fighting that’s the fun part to me and they deliberately take it away several times during each hunt. It’s just not the game for me.

Cardiovorax posted:

... the constant running-away and having to chase the monster down again is probably the single most annoying part of the game. It really doesn't add anything except for giving some kind of justification to hunts having a time limit, because without that, you'd never realistically reach it.

I don't really agree, but maybe because having completed the game I have kinda built the rhythm of it into how I approach fights. So each phase of the fight is an opportunity to reset, fully heal up, sharpen, check what items you've got left, see when your used mantles reset, sort out your stamina, and all that stuff, as well as picking up resources, monster materials, and carving tails. While there are fights where you can just crush a monster without stopping (this is what the arena quests are for) sometimes you need that moment to breathe. And you can use those moments to judge how well you're doing, how much damage it's taking, what you've broken on it, how long each fight is lasting compared to other attempts or different monsters. If the monster is shrugging off your attacks and going the full five minutes of each phase without you even knocking it down, then you might want to ask if you're just not getting your attacks in or if you're using an element it's immune to or something. Some monsters are just tough though, and you adjust your expectations accordingly. But having them on the run is often a good thing, and they don't repeatedly run away just for the sake of running.

Also, for anyone who's gone through Iceborne and managed to contend with all the special assignments that get piled on you afterwards, I'm a little stuck with what I assume is endgame content. I've mostly been hunting alongside my flatmate and since we last played I can't tell if I'm rusty or if they rreeeeally ramped up the difficulty on these things. We only just managed to take down Raging Brachiadios two or three times over three days and god knows how many unsuccessful attempts (I needed that set, unfortunately). Some of the other special assignments are even worse, Furious Rajang is a big of a nightmare to fight, and we've had a few goes at Alatreon but not even come close yet. Any advice for this stuff, is it really just twice as hard as everything else the game sends your way? I still need to figure out the Guiding Lands stuff too so if it's a case of needing more upgrades/augments I might just do that for a while.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

So Is this 11pm for you guys? Cos im off work next week for a long rear end while so i could be up this early for killing these helpless defensless monsters. Actually still dont understand why they nees to die but uhh when in rome i guess

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

VideoGames posted:

I am inordinately excited for the Mass Effect trilogy.

ME3 is my absolute favourite of the series (and 10th favourite game ever) and knowing you will get all 3 games with all their DLC for a pretty fine price (as opposed to the normal hoopla you have to go through with points and whatnot) feels like a steal. Some of the DLC is tremendous and just having them as part of it is excellent.

Though I am not too pleased that the red sky is gone. However I am pleased that Femshep is default because she is the best :D

Plus Lady VG has never seen any of them!

I'll gladly give it another go, but I can wait for a price drop. EAs remasters go on sale pretty quickly, iirc. Pity about the lack of a native PS5 version, tho.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Pleased to report googankin was a resounding success!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

I’m actually super-duper excited about a Mass Effect rerelease... I haven’t played them since they came out and I’ve never played three!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

So Is this 11pm for you guys? Cos im off work next week for a long rear end while so i could be up this early for killing these helpless defensless monsters. Actually still dont understand why they nees to die but uhh when in rome i guess

they need to die....so that a child may live

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Offline play hours: 815
Online play hours: 3

I don’t play well with others.

Edit: also, does it not count PS3 games? I played two games in particular Umineko 1 and 2) for a long time.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

im probably the opposite why bother playing alone when theres nerds to wax philosophical with

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Yeah, sorry I should've warned you upfront that a lot of my gear is Master Rank and therefore I cut through Low Rank mons like butter. I'll see if I still have some more moderate stat builds so we can enjoy some more dramatic fights together, but tonight was good just for getting you off the ground and giving you some new crafting options.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Casnorf posted:

im probably the opposite why bother playing alone when theres nerds to wax philosophical with

That would require being an at least moderately interesting person

E:all deprecation in this post was self-directed

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Feb 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

fridge corn posted:

Yeah hopefully we can speed run you through to master rank, although I don’t mind doing low rank missions. You missed out on some chaotic and fun voice chat tho, hopefully u can join in sometime.

Vikar Jerome posted:

We played till like 3 am pst too, or just now, and I’m basically nocturnal so I’m still playing, so hopefully that works for you. But now that I’m back on my monster hunter poo poo I think it would be really fun and just funny playing with you, bp, fridge corn and whoever else wants to join.