Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Ronaldo was actually right though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
In the original game it was mostly Remial. An angel comes in and saves a member of the villain faction for what seems to be general benevolent reasons and comes up with the law path independently from the rest of Heaven. Beyond that he does help out on the majority of the paths and even should you chose chaos is only fought when you attack him. Overclocked adds in the focus on redemption which works both because it ties into some of the more positive elements of which the faction is based on, and it presents the Angels as a lot more reasonable then they are usually portrayed. That and the game admitting the hosed up poo poo that YVHW has been responsible for helps make it feel more balanced.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

The problem, to me, is that generally I think the most enticing way to write a law ending ends up being used as the "neutral-bad" ending: a return to the status quo. YHVH and the archangels represent the universe's order as it stands right now, so it'd make the most sense for them to represent a return to things being 'normal.' Nocturne I think has cooler ideas about alignment than other games, but the Freedom ending there is something I think of as being a Law ending, ideologically. The focus on mass genocide always ends up making them kind of cartoonish, it'd be much easier to pitch it as a highly stratified society, administrated by angels.

I never did the law routes in devil survivor, but they seemed to be getting closer to this than the standard thousand year kingdom stuff other games do. I'm a big fan of the way most of the games handle the neutral endings, but it's always fun to have law and chaos at least make a tempting pitch.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Hazmat Suit, are you at the Ring of Gaea place? I'm terrible with names. Lotsa big plot stuff must be happening.

Then again, even as slow as I am, 20 hours seems like it must be well after that part.... I remember where they sell theHazmat Suits because I was super stuck on a boss (Krishna) before I bought one, the first bit of equipment I got all game.

Quite frankly all the costumes are hideous except one expensive endgame bit of equipment.

Yeah, I'm just about to sneak into Tsukiji for the Gaea quests.

I've been going real slow but only because I've been enjoying it so much as a game separate of the story. I've been doing all the challenge missions and trying to find recruit and fuse as many demons as possible. As a result I'm currently riding about 10 levels above the field, so I should probably turn up the difficulty soon. :sweatdrop:

Edit Re: Law. I have to wonder what the Japanese perspective on the law endings is. Like many people in the west, I've grown up with Christian fundies as an ever-present part of the community so the themes of law routes have a strong (negative) personal connection for me. Japan is somewhat more polytheistic and effectively agnostic as a nation so I can't imagine they'd have quite the same internal associations. One of these days I'm gonna have to convince my wife to play an SMT game and see which one she picks. :v:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 30, 2021

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

NikkolasKing posted:

Kind of ironic that Devil Survivor 1 is pretty beloved for its Law Route in spite of being focused on an angel who serves YHVH whereas Devil Survivor 2 gave us Ronaldo instead of Angels or YHVH and everyone despises him.
To be honest, Lady Amane is cool as heck and is voiced by Mamiko Noto (Fuuka's VA since the OG Persona 3). :3:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Up to 6/8 Moon on Apocalypse now. The days format is starting to mess with the pacing a little as there's some pretty huge stuff going down but sorry guys I'm a sleepy god killer, got to get to bed, see you in the morning!

Also I quite like the extra party members, (I especially like that they actually bothered to give Gaston an arc, because he could have very easily been one dimensional) but the Asahi/Toki conflict feels like it's in entirely the wrong game.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gaston is a great character, I just kinda wish he wouldn't... y'know, loving do as he pleases the few times I chose him as my main helper. Asahi is great as a helper even if she's entirely :nallears: as a character (which I feel really lovely writing because I loving love Erica Lindbeck's performances in general)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wark Say posted:

Gaston is a great character, I just kinda wish he wouldn't... y'know, loving do as he pleases the few times I chose him as my main helper. Asahi is great as a helper even if she's entirely :nallears: as a character (which I feel really lovely writing because I loving love Erica Lindbeck's performances in general)

The issue for the almost entire team is they have to compete with Asahi the healbot and Toki the Metatron blender.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Then there's Navarre with his buffs and Debilitate. He rarely left my partner slot.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I like Asahi's character. I liked all the Partners in IVA except Nozomi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhRSt_2f0SI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3dA7Hl4ZwA

I have a save right before IT and someday I intend to continue along Anarchy to see all the different Partner reactions. Seen Asahi already on YT playthroughs so I think my first choice will be Toki. And I don't think I'll ever see Gaston because good god, it would be impossible.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

asahi's mostly pretty nice as a character though the love triangle stuff with toki and nanashi was a bit meh, iirc

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

did i say that i like that akechi's second costume looks like kain dragoon

also i started catherine and i think rin is related to jose. there appears to be no jose lore on file so this makes as much sense as anything

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
So, has anyone played the Japanese version of Persona 5 Strikers on Switch? Debating whether to get it there or on the PS4.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LeSquide posted:

So, has anyone played the Japanese version of Persona 5 Strikers on Switch? Debating whether to get it there or on the PS4.

It runs okay but not as smooth as the PS4 version. Unless you want it for portable (which to be fair is not a bad choice) it's better to get it on PS4.

That said one thing to keep in mind for this that sets it apart from other "Warriors" titles is that it has a Persona level of cutscenes so take into account whichever system you want to read a whole lot of text on. In particular some of the text for spells and such is fairly tiny

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Has anybody posted that there's now a translation of the GBA version of SMT1? Looks to be only partial but It's giving me hope, last time I saw a Megaten game patch near completion was Soul Hackers, and that ended pretty poorly for that team.

It does look like the GBA version is using the PS1 graphics which I don't prefer, but oh well.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

LeSquide posted:

It runs very well. Never noticed framerate problems, the only performance related thing which was annoying to me was long level load times. Not sure if that's any better on the PS4.
If you want to judge the performance yourself, there is a Japanese demo on both the Switch and PS4 (no idea why they are not making a demo for the English version).

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Gaius Marius posted:

Has anybody posted that there's now a translation of the GBA version of SMT1? Looks to be only partial but It's giving me hope, last time I saw a Megaten game patch near completion was Soul Hackers, and that ended pretty poorly for that team.

It does look like the GBA version is using the PS1 graphics which I don't prefer, but oh well.

isn't it the iOS translation put onto the gba one, or something??

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Up to 7/8 Moon now.

Man the Cosmic Egg is such an awful dungeon. There's a lot of mini-bosses for the sake of bosses. At this point they're not quite difficult enough to even be a challenge, more just a nuisance while you whittle down their ridiculous health bar. Also, I "get" the imagery Atlus, it's the womb that will birth a new universe, fair enough, but did you have to make it quite so womby inside? I think they really peaked on the reference when they made you enter through an actual cervix. (And I thought Mara and his dick puns were bad enough :sweatdrop:) It's just not particularly visually appealing, and doubly so when you have the weird screen burn curse on top as well.

My favorite dungeon of the game so far is probably Kanda-no-yashiro, I think it's probably one of the best original areas in the whole game.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Don’t worry it’s about to get far far worse.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, again, Apocalypse improved a whole lot of aspects from Vanilla IV.

However, it did manage to cock up/make several aspects even worse.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I grew up with Silent Hill 4, womby imagery is just in everything for me.

Also the Cosmic Egg music is the best dungeon music in SMT history as far as I'm concerned. Love that song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6229SSjsp4o

And I think you'll love the climax of the Cosmic Egg. I think it was utterly perfect, possibly the best part of the entire game.

And did you dress Nanashi up like Gothic Lolita Maid? Or even buy anything at the Black Card shops? I've complained in the past about its pricing, and I wanna hear from a new player about their experience and if the BC prices are as absurd s I'm fairly certain they are.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Cosmic Egg also has a baller theme on top of the excellent climax

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I grew up with Silent Hill 4, womby imagery is just in everything for me.

Also the Cosmic Egg music is the best dungeon music in SMT history as far as I'm concerned. Love that song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6229SSjsp4o

And I think you'll love the climax of the Cosmic Egg. I think it was utterly perfect, possibly the best part of the entire game.

And did you dress Nanashi up like Gothic Lolita Maid? Or even buy anything at the Black Card shops? I've complained in the past about its pricing, and I wanna hear from a new player about their experience and if the BC prices are as absurd s I'm fairly certain they are.

You know I specifically didn't bother with the Black Card sidequest because I assumed it would all be ludicrously expensive crap, but if there's some good joke costumes to be seen, I may have to go back and check it out while I still can.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RillAkBea posted:

You know I specifically didn't bother with the Black Card sidequest because I assumed it would all be ludicrously expensive crap, but if there's some good joke costumes to be seen, I may have to go back and check it out while I still can.

You get three different colors of this and they are the "cheapest" equipment at the BC shops. Everything else is even more crazy expensive.

Legit one of my biggest hopes for SMTV is more crossdressing costumes.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 3, 2021

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

You get three different colors of this and they are the "cheapest" equipment at the BC shops. Everything else is even more crazy expensive.

Legit one of my biggest hopes for SMTV is more crossdressing costumes.

Had I not already gotten the holy tracksuit, I'd be tempted to get one of those. The other novelty armors were pretty cool too, except maybe Lham Dearg's chainmail hot pants. Waaay too expensive for normal player though, yeah, quite silly.

Finished the Cosmic Egg now. The ending was pretty cool and I would have been very happy to have the whole game end there. Can we not just text Ỹ̵̡̦͉̙̱̠̹̯͍̰̠͓̟͌̿͆̌̒̄̀̓̃̏̓͊̾H̷̝̬̐̚̕V̷̧̧̡͎̘̜̟̈́̀̊͐̓̊H̶̢̹͖̣͇̾͌̈́͜ͅͅ and let him know humanity's doing it for themselves now? :sweatdrop:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Good luck on the next dungeon. It's the smt destinées taking the criticism of smt4 having easy dungeons way too personally. They must've dug up the guy who made the cathedral in smt1 and just told him to go nuts. drat dungeon took me nearly as long as the rest of the game.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Just look up maps for the last dungeon. Going through it blind isn't worth it.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Booky posted:

asahi's mostly pretty nice as a character though the love triangle stuff with toki and nanashi was a bit meh, iirc

I did the Anarchy route choosing the dickest choices for every dialogue and it's surprising how that changes your perception of the character. Even ignoring Toki's thing, it's unnerving how she clings to Nanashi after belittling and insulting her at every opportunity.

Speaking of, I was glad Isabeau remembers you refused to help injured people at the start of the game if you chose the option, for the most part it's disappointing how everyone still adores you despite your actions.

Petiso fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 3, 2021

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Seriously, the final dungeon is something else. It's like all that restraint they had for creating pain in the rear end dungeons that they held back on so well in the rest of Apocalypse? Suddenly they just let it all flow out into one concentrated dungeon. It is quite possibly the biggest jump in dungeon difficulty/obtuseness in the series

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Tsukiji Hongwanji is still bullshit, though, but yeah: Nothing like the last two dungeons.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

WrightOfWay posted:

Just look up maps for the last dungeon. Going through it blind isn't worth it.

I took this advice and I'm really glad for it. Even reading step by step from a guide it was a weird and confusing dungeon. Just the final boss to go now, yay for humanity!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

That was a fantastic final boss! Going into the battle I wasn't quite convinced that destroying YHVH was the appropriate end point for the humanity route but they made a really good argument for it that was even a little inspiring. It took me a few tries and a couple of extra fusions to get the housekeeping down, but it was in my opinion the perfect final boss. Not just a giant health bar, but a test of everything you should have learned throughout the game, and the double party system was a lot of fun as well.

Overall, an extremely satisfying ending to an excellent game.

Next I think I'm gonna play either Devil Survivor 2, Nocturne HD or perhaps Soul Hackers for the wild card.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Do soul hackers it's a beautiful mix of classic smt gameplay with some of the newer flair from the later games. Top five of the franchise for me for sure. It's also pretty short so it serves as a nice palate cleanser between your longer games.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well I love Devil Survivor 2 with all my heart so I suggest that one.

It was different and yet still stayed true to SMT themes and ideas. I applaud its creativity, as well as its fantastic cast.

This game also had the best portraits of all time.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

It was different and yet still stayed true to SMT themes and ideas. I applaud its creativity, as well as its fantastic cast.

DS2 is weird in that I despise a ton of the designs--especially compared to it's predecessor--but when it hits it, it hits it out of the park. Fumi and Jungo's art are phenomenal.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress it, play Nocturne.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I'll second the recommendation for Soul Hackers, if only because i think more people should play it. It's got the old-school jank and archaic mechanics of the older SMTs while being relatively easier than its predecessors.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Do soul hackers it's a beautiful mix of classic smt gameplay with some of the newer flair from the later games. Top five of the franchise for me for sure. It's also pretty short so it serves as a nice palate cleanser between your longer games.

DemoneeHo posted:

I'll second the recommendation for Soul Hackers, if only because i think more people should play it. It's got the old-school jank and archaic mechanics of the older SMTs while being relatively easier than its predecessors.

NikkolasKing posted:

Wark Say posted:

gently caress it, play Nocturne.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I ended up buying all 3, as well as P3P because I feel like I never see it in stores and they actually had it today.

I think I'll probably take a look at Soul Hackers first though because it's the formula I'm least familiar with.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blue Labrador posted:

DS2 is weird in that I despise a ton of the designs--especially compared to it's predecessor--but when it hits it, it hits it out of the park. Fumi and Jungo's art are phenomenal.

I love basically all the character designs in both DS games. The little horn headphones the MC has in the first are goofy, but in a good way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I like the devil horn headphones because they match well with the DS protagonist often having a "oh wait is someone talking to me" expression on his face.