Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

its_my_birthday posted:

Starting RPGs and rerolling new characters is always the best part of them because it's fun to not be good at everything and to have to try to play efficiently. There need to be more RPGs where you just kinda suck and are fragile throughout the whole game and not just for like the first couple of hours.

Also gently caress games forever that do the whole Bethesda thing of eventually being a god in every skill. Gimme limits, make me have to be creative

Age of Decadence.

Seriously. If you are the kind of person to wax nostalgic about old RPGs that treated the player like an rear end in a top hat and a chump and made them earn everything, play Age of Decadence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Badactura posted:

In the same vein, levels 1-5 of dnd are the best dnd levels

Unpopular tabletop opinion: D&D is a trash game and at least 3rd edition on was designed by people who didn't understand math, balance, or how the game would actually be played. 4th edition was the only modern edition with a coherent and largely successful design vision.
Low level D&D just hides this truth better than later, and was the only playstyle really playtested.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

sebmojo posted:

Lol at the black dude being the orc that's a little on the nose

I get that every time I show that to anyone because it's correct to point out

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Coolness Averted posted:

Unpopular tabletop opinion: D&D is a trash game and at least 3rd edition on was designed by people who didn't understand math, balance, or how the game would actually be played. 4th edition was the only modern edition with a coherent and largely successful design vision.
Low level D&D just hides this truth better than later, and was the only playstyle really playtested.

4th edition sucks rear end. good god why do you want to fight 4 hours in a single combat. just play heroclix

D&D doesn't have to be some tight coherent system. the DM takes care of anything the rules don't cover

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Rutibex posted:

4th edition sucks rear end. good god why do you want to fight 4 hours in a single combat. just play heroclix

D&D doesn't have to be some tight coherent system. the DM takes care of anything the rules don't cover

And things the rules cover too, because the rules are poo poo. 4th at least had something (balanced tactical combat) you could point to and say it did better than other RPGs on the market at the time. 5th has umm market penetration I guess.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

4th also realized they screwed up the math making fights too spongy and released revised formulas that shaved fight times down significantly but you know, too late because patching a tabletop doesn't work like patching a videogame

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Rutibex posted:

OG mage knight was better than heroclix

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Barudak posted:

4th also realized they screwed up the math making fights too spongy and released revised formulas that shaved fight times down significantly but you know, too late because patching a tabletop doesn't work like patching a videogame

Yeah, the eratta 'patching' system was an interesting idea, but nobody is gonna download and print out dozens of those to just stuff into the back of their books.
It also didn't help that those early campaigns and adventure paths were pretty lovely even without bags of hp enemies.
The best non 4th edition implementation of the d&d rules was probably the neverwinter nights PC game, since it forced casters to be the artillery units 3x was tested as them being, instead of the system breakers they actually were.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Coolness Averted posted:

And things the rules cover too, because the rules are poo poo. 4th at least had something (balanced tactical combat) you could point to and say it did better than other RPGs on the market at the time. 5th has umm market penetration I guess.

4th edition wasn't some great innovation, it was a tactical miniature game. they basically reinvented Chainmail

honestly i think this is the best version of D&D, and its the only physical RPG book I own. its got everything from level 1 though godhood in one book including the full monster manual and rules for large scale army battles:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17171/DD-Rules-Cyclopedia-Basic

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah, the eratta 'patching' system was an interesting idea, but nobody is gonna download and print out dozens of those to just stuff into the back of their books.
It also didn't help that those early campaigns and adventure paths were pretty lovely even without bags of hp enemies.
The best non 4th edition implementation of the d&d rules was probably the neverwinter nights PC game, since it forced casters to be the artillery units 3x was tested as them being, instead of the system breakers they actually were.

4th ed adventures were so so bad. 5ed got it right by strip mining the old ones and putting some time and effort into new ones.

I played a full campaign of 4th, and it doesn't get enough credit for its out of combat mechanics, they're competent and lightweight. The biggest problem was always the mindset graunch of shifting from those to a dense tactical fight grid, as fun as those fights could be.

I think 5e is the overall best so far for all its a bit designed by committee. Advantage is a great mechanic, concentration is a huge spellcaster nerf, and the library of rad og magic items was always the best thing about 1e. Monsters are dull though, 13th age and 4e does them way better.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i love the old school adventures. I've been running Expedition to the Barrier Peaks for the last few weeks for my group. we play 8.5th edition (that means its 3rd edition + 5th edition and i throw out the rules for both that i dont like :twisted:). you can play a 5th edition class or a 3rd edition class, magic item attunement doesn't exist, items have prices, prestige classes exist, etc.

honestly 5th edition is very compatible with 3rd edition content if your players dont get too bent out of shape about specific rules

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 3, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Every time I've talked to people about the half-baked pnp rpg system I've half-written people told me it's very interesting and sounds good

On the other hand, I have no idea how I would get people to play it and I certainly have no expectation of making money

It just makes me wonder how people got paying jobs doing this stuff

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Dreams on the PS4 is interesting. Apparently it's a beast on the PS5.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

signalnoise posted:

Every time I've talked to people about the half-baked pnp rpg system I've half-written people told me it's very interesting and sounds good

On the other hand, I have no idea how I would get people to play it and I certainly have no expectation of making money

It just makes me wonder how people got paying jobs doing this stuff

Drop a link or screenshots into the Traveling Circus thread if you like, it's forum-wandering but currently in TG

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
5e drops things that 4e had like focused design and an underlying game theory in favor of nostalgia for rules bloated 3e. you then end up with stuff like the ranger where all the class features engage with rules and mechanics that no dm ever cares about or tracks like food consumed per day because it bogs down gameplay between the interesting stuff like set piece battles or rp scenes. and if your dm actually cared about food the druid would just cast goodberry anyway.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I think its funny how everyone acted excited for bugsnax and then it came out and nobody really gave a poo poo

the hype seemed contrived and its funny how it didn't pay off

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

I think its funny how everyone acted excited for bugsnax and then it came out and nobody really gave a poo poo

Lol yeah what the gently caress was the deal with that one, literally weeks of OMG Bugsnax and then its almost as if it doesn't exist

Same with cyberpunk although the hype and the decline were more extreme

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Ah a lot of people still seem to really like Cyberpunk at least. The thread about it seems to have like 30,000 posts. But people made memes and stuff about Bugsnax before it came out and before any gameplay was shown, people called it body horror because it had animals made of food. It felt kinda psychotic.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Yeah, for a while it seemed every single post was about cyberpunk. Thats died down a lot. Hype and marketing are very real concepts which add nothing to a product.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Caesar Saladin posted:

Actually bugsnax fukken owned its just a very self contained 15 hour game and there's not much to talk about. But it very much fukken owned

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

people called it body horror because it had animals made of food. It felt kinda psychotic.

That's not why people were calling it body horror. Maybe you should actually play it???????????

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

it looks really bad though

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Maybe you wont like it idk but it was a really nice game and I'm the type to usually roll my eyes at over hyped indie nonsense

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

it looks really bad though

clearly the best way to experience a game is through screenshots

it's chill and enjoyable like viva pinata, and if you don't like that, then whatevs. it does exactly what it intends to do, and that's fine.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Sitting in my recliner with my eyes closed listening to 10 hour raindrop videos on YouTube is also chill and enjoyable and doesn't cost £40

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

when you said it was 15 hours I was convinced to never play it. Those walrus people are just horrible design, they are hideous.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

tango alpha delta posted:

Dreams on the PS4 is interesting. Apparently it's a beast on the PS5.

dreams is seriously the most ambitious, coolest thing I’ve ever seen on a console

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I can’t wait till play cyberpunk for the first time two years from now

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

signalnoise posted:

In my opinion, it's not worth getting a PS5 for PS5 games yet, but it is worth getting a PS5 for PS4 games, in a way. I got a PS5 because my PS4 Pro was increasingly loving up, probably because for a while I kept it in a really lovely spot. Lots of crawlspace dust. Anyways, I said before the thing even launched that the best launch title it had was backwards compatibility, and I think that's confirmed. PS4 games that have boost mode or whatever, with PS4 Pro modes that let you choose resolution or higher framerate, the PS5 lets you play those games without having to compromise. It also loads PS4 games faster, though not PS5 game speed. Games made for PS5 load ridiculously fast.

Best example I have for PS4 game loading and smoothness is Monster Hunter World. Here's a recording of loading up Guiding Lands. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhQ4-1q7vAc If you are familiar with the game and that particular loading screen, then you'll know that 30 seconds to load it on console is actually pretty drat fast.

If you can afford a high end PC then this is nothing new to you but I couldn't rebuild my PC for 500 bucks to match the PS5, and I can't afford what it would cost to do that.

Yeah, ok that makes sense. I have to say, I sort of 'fairly' recently (not really) upgraded to the PS Pro, and was playing Horizon Zero Dawn at the time, and was loving blown away by the framerate improvement, but I don't know if any of my other games have PRO improvements, and I found it really hard to find out which ones get the benefit?

I find the loading times on Tekken 7 interminable, if it brings that down enough that would be great because at the moment I don't really play it because of how long it loads.

Seems a bit much though if that's all I'm buying a PS5 for, lol. I'll wait until there's a couple of 'must haves'. Hopefully there's a new God of War on the way, they always showcase the specs well.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

Coolness Averted posted:

To be honest I mostly play call of cthulhu and poo poo these days, dnd is mostly just overplayed imo

Karl Ontario
Jan 1, 2006

Maybe if I'm part of that mob, I can help steer it in wise directions.
The Japanese voiceovers are not "better". You just don't speak Japanese so you can't tell they are the same crap as the English VOs.

Developers listening to their vocal online community tends to actively ruin games. Too much of a focus on what nerds decide is "balanced", almost no focus on "Is this fun to play?".

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Western studios should just give up making videogames, Assassins Creed, Fifa, Cyberpunk lol, I've just realised most of what I've played in 2021 has been Japanese and brilliant, Monster Hunter, Yakuza, Bayonetta 2, Dark Souls 3 - not just good games but outstandingly good games.

Like I'm not really that invested in Japanese culture or media, you'll never catch me eating sushi or watching anime or saying arigato or kon'nichiwa out loud but when it comes to video-games Japan is miles ahead of everything else.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

JollyBoyJohn posted:

you'll never catch me eating sushi or watching anime or saying arigato or kon'nichiwa out loud

Not yet.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Karl Ontario posted:

The Japanese voiceovers are not "better". You just don't speak Japanese so you can't tell they are the same crap as the English VOs.

I've never understood at all the attitude that subs are for weebs, while dubbed English voices are the natural state for a foreign release of a Japanese product. Has anyone ever watched a foreign language film before? Imagine watching a dubbed version of an Ingmar Berman movie. Only weebs watch dubs, because dubs are only offered as an option for weeb media

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

english are fine for video games because they are pretty much cartoons.

Comparing them to a movie is silly, because dubbing lips always looks bad. Comparing a video game script to an Ingmar Bergman film is totally lol. Dubbing cartoons is fine, they're all dubbed to begin with.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Most English stuff gets dubbed in foreign countries so when you think about it they're kind of westaboos

~~~~<===========3

This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

signalnoise posted:

Persona games have a solid target lock on weeby shitlords who had lovely high school experiences and they give people the vicarious experience of having good friends who rely on you, being important, powerful, and uniquely talented, as well as being very motivated and productive.

So, ya know, I like em enough

There's pretty much entire multiple genres based around giving japanese shut-ins the ability to vicariously re-live high school except they actually have friends and a social life and/or girls actually want to have sex with them.

They can't feature adults doing things because the idea of adults having any free time or personality is too unrealistic

ed: D&D 5th edition makes sense when you realise that the DM isn't actually meant to be able to use the rules the run the game, they're meant to make everything up with the rules all being basically random numbers thrown at a wall because game design is too hard and makes all the worst people in the hobby mad. The literal design philosophy is 'Who cares if the rules have problems, the DM can fix it'.

The best DM fix is to throw out their 5th edition books and use a different system

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 3, 2021

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Subs and dubs are, imo, each better in different contexts (anime or otherwise). For anything generally serious or dramatic you should go for subs. Native speakers are generally better at conveying appropriate dramatic weight for their own culture. For comedy you want dubs, because comedy relies a lot on nuance and delivery that you can't pick up on as well if you don't understand the words. Also modern comedy often involves multiple people speaking over each other or at the same time and that's a sub nightmare.

This is assumes there isn't a great overall disparity in the performance of the actors.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the golden standard for dubbing Japanese cartoons is clearly speed racer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I prefer subs on literally everything and always will, dubs just don't really do it. I usually get subititles for all my English movies too, makes it easier to follow along especially if you're a bit distracted. Some English movies I have real trouble understanding due to the accents especially if they are foreign variants.

Also Western studios probably comprise 75% of all games that are made, I don't think pointing to a few games released in the past five years that were decent actually means anything