Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Rinkles posted:

That would require being an at least moderately interesting person

E:all deprecation in this post was self-directed

its never too late to learn how to make only the very highest brow dick jokes so basically I think I feel bad for soren kierkegaards wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

oh yeah thomas hobbes is extolling the virtues of the leviathan

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I started playing AI: the Somnium Files and somehow I missed that the writing is snappy and funny as hell, with all kinds of opportunities to make AI-ball do stupid poo poo and laugh at her.

It feels like just the supernatural parts of the Phoneix Wright games without all the rest. I’m in the middle of a couple of the games now (including the new version of Umineko which is similar in some ways) so it probably won’t get all my attention, but I think it will be a main game for a while.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

lao tzu wrote about the empty space of the pot defining its purpose but im pretty sure he was just the first forums incel

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

what does it all mean is a question better minds than ours have asked for millenia and im not pretending i have a definitive answer but im pretty sure its dick jokes all the way down

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, sorry I should've warned you upfront that a lot of my gear is Master Rank and therefore I cut through Low Rank mons like butter. I'll see if I still have some more moderate stat builds so we can enjoy some more dramatic fights together, but tonight was good just for getting you off the ground and giving you some new crafting options.

Yeah no it was fine. I've only played the game for like a total of 6 hours so I'm still getting my head around it. I guess I still need to play through the main campaign to unlock the tougher hunts?

Imhotep posted:

Yeah hopefully we can speed run you through to master rank, although I don’t mind doing low rank missions. You missed out on some chaotic and fun voice chat tho, hopefully u can join in sometime.

How long does it take to get to master rank? Yeah, hopefully next time I can join in the voice chat cuz the in game chat ui suuuckks

I was using the ps app on my phone to chat to you guys

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Even blowing through it you still gotta do basically all of low and high rank and that necessarily takes a bit, because you're learning the structure and methods of hunt. This isn't a game where you'll ever be satisfied by the reward; the journey is the point.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Fridge corn im 32 hours into MHW and i still get constant tutorial pop ups :cheeky:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s crazy how Monster Hunter oscillates between sounding like a really cool and deep video game with lots of awesome mechanics and sounding like being exactly as boring and unfun as actual hunting

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I think to be fair its one of those series like Dragon Quest or Yakuza that's built up a level of mystique to Westerners.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I can tell that there’s an entire world of complexity in actually fighting the monsters. Not just understanding and reacting to their many behaviors but also weapons selection and learning how each weapon operates, and also team communication and so on.

But it seems that that’s only like a third of the game at most, in practice. The other two thirds are boring poo poo like traversing the environment over and over again and farming weapon components, even though all the weapon types are available to you from the beginning.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 3, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The weapon thing helps a lot, its not quite 14 games in one but there's a real "choose your method" aspect that lets you play the game that suits your personality best

I know its functionally the same as a job system or characters in a fighting game but it feels like a stronger connection.

Rather than looking down on filthy Voldo pickers you can look down on those overly flashy insect glaive pickers

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Ghost of Tsushima surprisingly got the number one spot for me this year and number 2?

Freaking Outward of all games. For some reason, I got addicted to that despite all of the jank and even ended up buying the DLC.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Dark Souls 3 - 240 hours
Bloodborne - 122 hours
God of War - 110 hours

Sounds about right for the last year

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

While picking up Gravity Rush 2 on sale I saw Resonance of Fate in the recommended section, which apparently received a remaster for PS4. Is the game worth picking up for someone that isn't hardcore into JRPGs or is it still a good still a good time?

I remember back when it came out the combat with the acrobatic guns looked cool and I think there was a crazy system where you could modify your guns in the most hilarious ways, but I can't seem to find any video reviews for the PS4 version. I'd love to know the thoughts of anyone that's played it? I like the look of the world and the combat seems fun but I think I remember conversations from years ago describing the game as being really hard?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SUNKOS posted:

While picking up Gravity Rush 2 on sale I saw Resonance of Fate in the recommended section, which apparently received a remaster for PS4. Is the game worth picking up for someone that isn't hardcore into JRPGs or is it still a good still a good time?

I remember back when it came out the combat with the acrobatic guns looked cool and I think there was a crazy system where you could modify your guns in the most hilarious ways, but I can't seem to find any video reviews for the PS4 version. I'd love to know the thoughts of anyone that's played it? I like the look of the world and the combat seems fun but I think I remember conversations from years ago describing the game as being really hard?
It’s just bizarre and complicated as hell. It’s one of those games where I loved the concept but I never finished it because it just became ridiculous bullshit almost immediately.

Maybe someday I’ll buy the PS4 version when it’s on sale, but probably only if I don’t have any other games to play.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SUNKOS posted:

The system is crazy and it has some cool customization (you can even do stuff like give your characters' eyes two different colors) but the the unfortunate thing is they have this complex system, with all this stuff going on, but because of how the system works there's basically one way to win every fight and that can get boring. So I think you'll see a lot of people responding that they liked it but never finished it. Just make sure when you first get access to the map you go backwards instead of where they want you to go since that's where the actual combat tutorial is lol

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s crazy how Monster Hunter oscillates between sounding like a really cool and deep video game with lots of awesome mechanics and sounding like being exactly as boring and unfun as actual hunting

I've started this game so many times and then when the MMO aspects pop up I nope out
I really want to try (the fun parts).

RE: Resonance of Fate. I remember this being fun and flashy, but there is a very certain way of playing that is super effective, so it's less like you are Devil May Crying and more like you are encouraged to do the same attack/tactic over and over again. I don't remember the gun modding too much. The story was forgettable. I still have the impression that I had fun with this game, mostly due to the setting and time period and character design.

E: Also from what I remember it's Tri-Ace *as gently caress*. Have you ever played Valkyrie Profile?

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 3, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Firstborn posted:

I've started this game so many times and then when the MMO aspects pop up I nope out

There's terrible menu based combat in monster hunter??

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t know how to defeat the Watcher Knights. Like....I am completely at a loss. With two of them bouncing around it’s impossible to dodge, even with the Shade Soul, and there sure as hell aren’t any opportunities to HEAL, even with the Quick Focus charm, so.....I just don’t know what to do.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t know how to defeat the Watcher Knights. Like....I am completely at a loss. With two of them bouncing around it’s impossible to dodge, even with the Shade Soul, and there sure as hell aren’t any opportunities to HEAL, even with the Quick Focus charm, so.....I just don’t know what to do.

Sometimes you you go down the shaman stone/spell twister route you can basically damage race some of the bosses with descending dark or abyss shriek. I dont remember the watcher knights particularly, but if you havent tried that already it could be worth a go.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can kill one of them before the fight if you find a lil secret area just before the boss room.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

But it seems that that’s only like a third of the game at most, in practice. The other two thirds are boring poo poo like traversing the environment over and over again and farming weapon components, even though all the weapon types are available to you from the beginning.

So the term "holy grail" derives from "san graal" meaning, literally, "blood of christ." To seek the grail isn't a Thing You Acquire, and a grail quest isn't about the end at all. A cup is superfluous, incidental, to those stories. An excuse.

Basically, what I'm sayin' is y'gotta work the shaft of the Monster Hunter experience or, while you might get to the goal, the whole session might feel a bit...empty.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Top three games for me in 2020 were 13 sentinels (63 hrs???), tlou2, and AC:Valhalla which seems about right. I’m not even close to done with Valhalla either, that game is loving absurdly long. Maybe I’ll pick it back up in 2022 when I can finally buy a PS5.

I wanna try and actually plat some games this year so I may finally break 100 hours on a console game.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Samurai Sanders posted:

It’s just bizarre and complicated as hell. It’s one of those games where I loved the concept but I never finished it because it just became ridiculous bullshit almost immediately.

Neo Rasa posted:

The system is crazy and it has some cool customization (you can even do stuff like give your characters' eyes two different colors) but the the unfortunate thing is they have this complex system, with all this stuff going on, but because of how the system works there's basically one way to win every fight and that can get boring. So I think you'll see a lot of people responding that they liked it but never finished it. Just make sure when you first get access to the map you go backwards instead of where they want you to go since that's where the actual combat tutorial is lol

Firstborn posted:

RE: Resonance of Fate. I remember this being fun and flashy, but there is a very certain way of playing that is super effective, so it's less like you are Devil May Crying and more like you are encouraged to do the same attack/tactic over and over again. I don't remember the gun modding too much. The story was forgettable. I still have the impression that I had fun with this game, mostly due to the setting and time period and character design.

Thanks for the impressions! I watched some old reviews of the original release and yeah, the common theme seems to be that it's a cool game that gets too hard and complicated which leads to many moments of just hitting a wall. It's a shame because it looks fun when watching gameplay, but it seems the devs went a bit too hard on the difficulty and I have a feeling I'd probably get frustrated quickly.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

It says I played 4 games for 66 hours, and I think I did more than that in December alone. :confused: My PS4 did break early in the year and I bought a Pro, so I wonder if that somehow screwed up their tracking. Same account, though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You can kill one of them before the fight if you find a lil secret area just before the boss room.

I got this, but that brings them down from 6 to 5, and I can only kill one before dying.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

:magemage:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

TheDarkFlame posted:

I don't really agree, but maybe because having completed the game I have kinda built the rhythm of it into how I approach fights. So each phase of the fight is an opportunity to reset, fully heal up, sharpen, check what items you've got left, see when your used mantles reset, sort out your stamina, and all that stuff, as well as picking up resources, monster materials, and carving tails.
Yeah, I guess when you look at it like that, there's actually a useful aspect to having them run away every so often. It's just not something I enjoy having in the game and I would prefer if it was instead balanced around not needing them to run away so you do can all that maintenance stuff. It's not a big complaint I have with the game, though. I loved MHW and finished the entire base game and a good bit of G rank.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Escobarbarian posted:

I did almost everything else possible in the game before I finished those. I had like the charm that gives you tons of health but you can't heal since there's no chance to anyway, and anything that powered up my magic attacks.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

The trick to this fight is that you have to basically down one as quickly as possible before the others roll up. Recharm to deal damage and not to flinch (sturdy crest?) and just slap their buns off. Even without the unbreakable strength charm, you should be able to kill the first before the second spawns, and then you need to just nuke.

You can ALSO charm for maximum spell damage and soul and just super spam your soul shot or your downsmash spell. It’s basically a DPS race, less of a careful ballet.

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013

Mathematical proof that Sekiro isn’t a Soulslike. :v:

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Kinda wish I had better info than more that just my top 3. My top three games were Monster Hunter with 84 hours, Ghosts of Tsushima with 180 hours, and Rocket League with 776 hours. Yeah... That's close to half my 1559 hours gaming last year. My favourite genre is Driving/Racing Games, with 776 hours. Again, not the most useful information. Did get two Platinums this year, though, cool.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

SUNKOS posted:

I beat it on PS3 and even got the platinum trophy for it.

If you are not hardcore into JRPG’s give it a big ol’ pass. As others have said the systems are needlessly complex and when you do figure out how everything works there is pretty much one strategy you use that wins every single battle and the game because just doing that the entire time.

I liked my time with the game; the combat system was unique, the customization was cool (characters and guns), and it had a lot of unique ideas. It just didn’t come together in a way that non-JRPG fans would care about and the JRPG fans that do care are ones that are super okay with a kinda grindy game where battles can take forever because of the combat system.

I’d really only recommend it if you’re super hard up for a JRPG or can get it for like 5-10$ and just really want to give gun JRPG a shot.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks to everyone for the Watcher Knights advice. I haven’t been able to do it yet so I’m gonna go off and do some other stuff, but it’s good to have those tactics in my back pocket

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
There was a goon quote about monster hunter years ago I wish I saved but it was basically a new player playing monster hunter for the first time will really struggle early on but eventually you get to a singular point where you can see The Code and now you're Neo from the Matrix and you're The One dodging every attack and taking down a monster that once took you an hour in a fraction of that time, it's an incredible feeling.

This repeats with some real hard monsters and it's so satisfying where you feel like you've been banging your head against the wall and then something clicks and you can fight and win, and you can repeat that success.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

PlushCow posted:

There was a goon quote about monster hunter years ago I wish I saved but it was basically a new player playing monster hunter for the first time will really struggle early on but eventually you get to a singular point where you can see The Code and now you're Neo from the Matrix and you're The One dodging every attack and taking down a monster that once took you an hour in a fraction of that time, it's an incredible feeling.

This repeats with some real hard monsters and it's so satisfying where you feel like you've been banging your head against the wall and then something clicks and you can fight and win, and you can repeat that success.

Are you sure that is not a quote about Bloodborne?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

VideoGames posted:

Yeah, this is from like Wii-era monster hunter. Also I've never played Bloodborne (looks too scary!)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I played persona 5 for about 4 hours today and I think I'm starting to get it. For a jrpg the battle system is pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

VideoGames posted:

Its definitely about bloodborne.