Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

bobkatt013 posted:

I assume he does not need to as he has Ben 10 money

He has a Spider-Man ongoing coming out in May, after being delayed from January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They'll probably just get Daniel Way back.

His run is the one I'm thinking of, right? The one that pushed Deadpool more into the random monkey cheese area and added the whole 4 independent internal monologue thing?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They'll probably just get Daniel Way back.

His run is the one I'm thinking of, right? The one that pushed Deadpool more into the random monkey cheese area and added the whole 4 independent internal monologue thing?

that would be the worst possible option, yes

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I haven't been checking the previews, and daredevil is the only comic I currently follow, so getting a crossover after almost 2 months of waiting for a new issue kind of sucked. Elektra's new sais are pretty funny though

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Echo as Phoenix? Lol, gently caress off with that poo poo.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Echo as Phoenix? Lol, gently caress off with that poo poo.

Echo who disappeared in the savage lands decades ago and has taskmaster powers? She's back?!

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/jen-bartel-pays-tribute-to-the-women-of-marvel-in-stylish-new-covers

Holy poo poo. :perfect:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
She's been back for a while, largely because I think Bendis forgot she was dead. But she's gonna pop up a bit more in the near future, I'd suspect, because she's gonna be in the MCU. (She's been cast in the Hawkeye show, presumably as a mentor for Kate, and they cast an actual deaf Indigenous actress, which is cool)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That Emma cover sure is something.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gaz-L posted:

She's been back for a while, largely because I think Bendis forgot she was dead. But she's gonna pop up a bit more in the near future, I'd suspect, because she's gonna be in the MCU. (She's been cast in the Hawkeye show, presumably as a mentor for Kate, and they cast an actual deaf Indigenous actress, which is cool)

Bendis was the one who killed her and then she showed up in Soules daredevil run alive

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
She seemingly died in Moon Knight in early 2012 and then returned in Soule's Daredevil in the summer of 2016, so she was 'dead'/presumed dead for a little over four years. Since then she's been a supporting character in Soule's Daredevil run, Bendis's Defenders, Thompson's Captain Marvel, and Coates's Captain America run. She was also in the Marvel Indigenous Voices one-shot that came out a little over two months ago.

Marvel's been using her pretty regular in the past few years, and as has been mentioned, it looks like she'll be in the MCU soon enough.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

howe_sam posted:

That Emma cover sure is something.

It's a style of dress you see a lot on red carpets and Emma Frost is 100% written as the type of woman who frequents the designers that make those gowns and would wear one.

I honestly also hope that the first promo shot of Maslany in the TV show is just wearing a suit like that in the CG Hulk effects.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Silk. :allears:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Yeah, that outfit is incredible! She probably made it herself.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So I have been reading Jason Aaron/Ed McGuiness' Avengers run on Marvel Unlimited. I'm up to issue 15.

Reading it, I am brought back to my teen years, reading Grant Morrison's/Howard Porter's run on "JLA" and wishing Marvel had a version of this. And how I have finally gotten my wish.

I have such a big smile on my face while reading every issue so far.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I'm enjoying Aaron's big, bombastic run as well. It's exceedingly silly, all big-time and a total blast. This is the most "Avengers" I've seen the Avengers be in I don't know how long.

There are problems as he goes along (the Moon Knight arc finished ludicrously quickly) and I really, really wish we got more Marquez but I'm here for all of it.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
I also instantly identified it with GMO JLA but unlike JLA I just absolutely hate it to the point I groan at every new issue. It's the final form of Aaron's fast-and-loose adlibs style of writing on a Justice League template and not that most comics are actually that stimulating, but I actually feel dumber just for having read it

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I'm not really liking Avengers either. For everything that happens it feels like it doesn't much matter, and I hate how he handles the Phoenix.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The Moon Knight stuff was so bad it set my expectations for the current Phoenix stuff at planetary-core sublevels, which ironically makes me kinda like it now 'cuz my standards were so low. :v:

I still think the idea of doing of Phoenix story and like, doing absolutely everything in your power to not involve Jean in it is real silly...but at least this makes no illusions about being a silly story.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It probably benefits Jean's character if she gets a break from stories about this dumb fire chicken every now and then. So I don't mind that she's not involved here.

Now the big reveal at the end of this most recent issue, that I bounced off of.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Separating Jean from the Phoenix is fine.

Having Wolverine be the host in the future is dumb.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Codependent Poster posted:

Having Wolverine be the host in the future is dumb.

Wait, this is a thing? This is a real plot that is on-going in some book I'm not reading? I'm going :psyduck: right now.

It's certainly a unique take, though. A very dumb one, but unique alright.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's something Aaron has written across various titles, like Thor.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Wait, this is a thing? This is a real plot that is on-going in some book I'm not reading? I'm going :psyduck: right now.

It's certainly a unique take, though. A very dumb one, but unique alright.

Not really an ongoing plot, but a part of the whole future nonsense where they layered cosmic powers together in cosmic ghost rider/thanos.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
That's the thing that gets to me. You wanna claim that the Phoenix is bad for Jean, that she's better off without it, okay I'll reluctantly roll with that. But then you hand it over to Wolverine or Quentin or Namor or whatever and it's like...so it's okay for them? Jean's not good enough or strong enough to handle it -- and I'm not projecting these sentiments, the issue today lays this on pretty thick -- but Wolverine is?

Speaking of which, the dumbest part of the very dumb issue today (which, yes, is saying a lot, considering that ending) is Wolverine claiming that Rachel hosting the Phoenix is what got her family killed and it's like. What? No? That's an absurd interpretation of events; Rachel hadn't hosted the Phoenix for years at that point! Her family got killed because the Shi'ar were assholes and that's it. (Which makes Scott and Jean being buddy buddies with them right now feel kinda weird but hey, I can only process so much X-weirdness at a time)

The worst thing about all these Phoenix retcons is that writers keep on referencing these old events and keep deliberately misrepresenting them to justify writing even more terrible Phoenix stories, and then blame the Phoenix when people don't wanna see it any more. Hate it break it to you guys, but the Phoenix has never been the problem, here.

All of which lets the air out of the sails for if/when Hickman, or any other actual X-writer, wants to reincorporate the Phoenix into X-books again, 'cuz they'll have to inherit all this excess, mediocre baggage as well.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

BrianWilly posted:

That's the thing that gets to me. You wanna claim that the Phoenix is bad for Jean, that she's better off without it, okay I'll reluctantly roll with that. But then you hand it over to Wolverine or Quentin or Namor or whatever and it's like...so it's okay for them? Jean's not good enough or strong enough to handle it -- and I'm not projecting these sentiments, the issue today lays this on pretty thick -- but Wolverine is?

Speaking of which, the dumbest part of the very dumb issue today (which, yes, is saying a lot, considering that ending) is Wolverine claiming that Rachel hosting the Phoenix is what got her family killed and it's like. What? No? That's an absurd interpretation of events; Rachel hadn't hosted the Phoenix for years at that point! Her family got killed because the Shi'ar were assholes and that's it. (Which makes Scott and Jean being buddy buddies with them right now feel kinda weird but hey, I can only process so much X-weirdness at a time)

The worst thing about all these Phoenix retcons is that writers keep on referencing these old events and keep deliberately misrepresenting them to justify writing even more terrible Phoenix stories, and then blame the Phoenix when people don't wanna see it any more. Hate it break it to you guys, but the Phoenix has never been the problem, here.

:agreed: This take on the Phoenix Force feels like it would be more appropriate for the 20th Century Fox films than for the comic books.

And you can add me to the list of people who fell off of Aaron's Avengers after the Moon Knight arc. I think the book's creative verve has started to run dry.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Runaways showed up out of nowhere today. I love this run, but it's been months since the last issue and the next one is scheduled for April. While not a good sign, at least it hasn't been axed yet, so thank you for small favors like this whoever in Marvel's taking the shots here.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Natasha should be okay with spider squad since she ripped off Spider-Man in the first place

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

New Marneus Calgar isn't bad, although it's mainly an explanation of all the extra organs Space Marines have.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I'm not particularly into King in Black, but Si Spurrier has a fun Black Knight tie-in this week. He's mostly taking the piss out of the character which I found amusing, but if you happen to be a big Black Knight fan you might not appreciate it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wasn't thor's role in that lovely empyre event mostly about his mother being gaia? dropping that already for this poo poo, huh?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Empyre was fine.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Valkyrie miniseries makes me mostly wish I had a non-Knull Valkyries book.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dawgstar posted:

There's another mini coming out right after that one. The Mighty Valkyries. Mattia De Iulis is doing the art and it looks amazing.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/loki-sends-jane-foster-on-an-epic-quest-in-the-mighty-valkyries

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dawgstar posted:

I sorta feel the same but the issues after ewing left the first series weren't doing that much for me either. I'm just kinda hanging on hoping it'll get better

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

I sorta feel the same but the issues after ewing left the first series weren't doing that much for me either. I'm just kinda hanging on hoping it'll get better

It really highlights how much the tactic when Marvel slaps a co-writer on the cover is largely a gimmick to try and boost sales with a 'name'. Aaron's name is on the title the whole way but the Ewing issues are clearly almost 100% him on script, because gently caress if Aaron's doing that left-wing Yorkshire accented winged horse. (The scene where Horse one-liners Grim Reaper's mount is one of the hardest laughs a Big Two comic has given me in years).

Saoshyant posted:

Runaways showed up out of nowhere today. I love this run, but it's been months since the last issue and the next one is scheduled for April. While not a good sign, at least it hasn't been axed yet, so thank you for small favors like this whoever in Marvel's taking the shots here.

It's long enough that it's really asking the audience to stretch to recall Chase is probably hooking up with the plus-size cutie from the grocery store.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The scene where Spider-Man is wearing the horse talking hat and it cuts to Luke Cage watching him is up there for me.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

It's long enough that it's really asking the audience to stretch to recall Chase is probably hooking up with the plus-size cutie from the grocery store.

God, I don't even remember that.

I just checked and last issue was four months ago. I wonder what's up with the massive delay. I really thought they had canceled it (thank the gods that wasn't the case).

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
https://twitter.com/Manruss/status/1357034086464778241

i'm interested, Zdarsky's Spider-Man: Life Story was great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I like Russell when he's serious or scathing, he gets a little off-putting when he tries to get too jokey, so I hope we don't get a bunch of nudge-wink jokes about Uber and Elon Musk.