Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

right arm posted:

make sure you cut them at an angle to leave a fun surprise for the next owner :D

Yeah I hate this. Anyone installing zip ties should own a flush cutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Greg12 posted:

hey what are those leggings, and would they work as long underpants under regular jeans or slacks

A bit late, but I do that with https://www.bowtex.store/ and they have worked well for me, comfortable and pretty much able to fit under anything that isn't skin tight type stuff.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah I hate this. Anyone installing zip ties should own a flush cutter.

What kind of eco monster uses a zip tie cutter. If you cut them then you can't reuse them later.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

If you want to reuse ties, use velcro ties.

Reusing zip ties is fiddly and stupid and cheap.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

1. For reusable situations I have a bunch of those loose-ish ties Japanese bikes often have for securing cables to handlebars and such. The rubber Ducati loop thingies are also excellent if they're not old and hosed.

2. Reusable zip ties are a real thing you can buy, they aren't useful often but they are useful.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you pick the ziptie apart with a pointy object you'll mostly likely just find that you've damaged the little tooth that keeps it closed and when you reuse it it will pop open.

Zipties are cheap, just accept that you might run out someday and have to spend another 8 dollars for a hundred more.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
On the one hand, I was kidding. On the other I regularly pop zip ties open without damaging them and reuse them.

edit: Don't worry, I only use fresh zip ties for load bearing or otherwise life risking applications, like castle nuts on the rear axle.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 4, 2021

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

https://griplockties.com/ zip ties that are rubber lined to not chafe wires, etc. Invented by that dude who builds planes mostly out of carbon fiber on YouTube.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

Glass of Milk posted:

I did the same thing, though- pull over when the traffic is piling up behind you, though pulling off on the gravel shoulders feels a little hairy.

Yeah, I had a moment where I pulled onto a gravely shoulder and realized now I'm basically at-speed, trying to slow down on rocks. Slow down first.

Can't wait to go back out that way this weekend.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Pretty jealous of you folks that don't have to deal with foul weather.

We do have some great riding roads around my neck of the woods though. (southwestern virginia)

Rode a bit a few days ago when it was just above fifty degrees and dry. Bike's definitely running like poo poo, thought the clutch was slipping, but I assume if so that it would rev up instead of just bog down and lose power?

Contacted my second cousin Jimmy, he's had lots of experience with bikes, had his own garage before corona. I'm gonna pay him to look over a few things with me, the carbs, the constant gas smell and the leaky forks.

I think I'm gonna throw a set of dirtbike handlebars on, the current set on my Magna aren't the full buckhorns thankfully, but the angle they're at aggravates a previous wrist injury.

My wife bought me a set of leather riding gloves and a new helmet for Christmas, but I have to exchange the helmet as my dumb face is too big. Hurts to put on, hurts to have on and hurts to take off. Very light though! And much nicer than my old bang around helmet.

Hoping that I'll be able to get into a riders course this spring.

And that by working on my bike I can get back some range. Ran into the reserve light after like fifty miles the other day..what's going on!
🥵

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I've done gently caress all riding for the last 6 months. Because of covid lockdowns, moving house, sick kids, and general bad luck I've rarely gone more than maybe 40-50km on a given day and it's almost all been boring-rear end highways and small towns, although I did get to hoon through some hills once and it was almost great except the roads were so poorly maintained I had to take it pretty easy most of the time.

But tomorrow I'm doing a 650+ km round trip which will include my first time riding in the city center. Been looking forward to it all week but now I'm getting a little nervous.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

I've done gently caress all riding for the last 6 months. Because of covid lockdowns, moving house, sick kids, and general bad luck I've rarely gone more than maybe 40-50km on a given day and it's almost all been boring-rear end highways and small towns, although I did get to hoon through some hills once and it was almost great except the roads were so poorly maintained I had to take it pretty easy most of the time.

But tomorrow I'm doing a 650+ km round trip which will include my first time riding in the city center. Been looking forward to it all week but now I'm getting a little nervous.

Remember your lane position and make yourself as visible as possible. Have a great trip!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Don’t speed and don’t gun it when the light turns green.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Seconding don't gun it when the light turns green, and look both directions. Way too many videos on youtube of a car blowing the red and just plowing into a bike.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Also be aware of the people behind you though. If someone at the light is checking their phone or whatever they may just gun it when they see a green light out of the corner of their eye.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

pun pundit posted:

Also be aware of the people behind you though. If someone at the light is checking their phone or whatever they may just gun it when they see a green light out of the corner of their eye.

This is just a pointless thing to worry about. If they're gonna do that there's nothing you can do so there's no point wasting attention on it. You aren't going to make a split second decision to launch off the line to stop getting rear-ended based off the information in your mirror.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, the correct way to avoid being rear-ended is to filter up to the front of the line and stay between the lanes.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Slavvy posted:

This is just a pointless thing to worry about. If they're gonna do that there's nothing you can do so there's no point wasting attention on it. You aren't going to make a split second decision to launch off the line to stop getting rear-ended based off the information in your mirror.

Yup, at a light pay a little attention to the rear to someone are stopped behind you, afterwards all attention should be forward.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, the correct way to avoid being rear-ended is to filter up to the front of the line and stay between the lanes.

:hellyeah: filter / split in every state crew :hellyeah:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FTP

Filter The Police

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

So yeah, absolute success. Nearly 7 hours riding, just under 600km in the end, had a blast. Took the highway on the way down but back roads home and it only took maybe 30 minutes longer but was way nicer so I'll be doing that in future.

I've filtered to the front before (legal here in stopped/slow traffic), but never past more than like 3 or 4 cars. Going up past 20 stopped cars feels like cheating at traffic. Kinda scary at first but I got the hang of it.

City traffic can get hosed though, it's just super erratic and aggressive and no fun at all.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Going up past 20 stopped cars feels like cheating at traffic. Kinda scary at first but I got the hang of it.

Going past thousands of cars when you're splitting lanes for 30 miles is god mode, other than it being mentally taxing. Still, last time I rode my bike 110 miles to meet my friends at a brewery (who were driving down in a car), I arrived over an hour before them even though I stopped to get gas.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

pastor of muppets posted:

I actually think my next pair will be these Oxford ones since the cut looks like it'd be better for my body type. :tutbutt:

Not to turn this thread into gearchat but my husband actually gave me these Oxford leggings today as an early birthday gift and they are soooooo nice. I am just sitting here at my desk still wearing them because I don't want to take them off.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

pastor of muppets posted:

Not to turn this thread into gearchat but my husband actually gave me these Oxford leggings today as an early birthday gift and they are soooooo nice. I am just sitting here at my desk still wearing them because I don't want to take them off.

Do you wear them with the hip/knee armor or take it out when you get to work? Seems like with jeans that’s not an issue as the thin d30 stuff isn’t likely to show.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

builds character posted:

Do you wear them with the hip/knee armor or take it out when you get to work? Seems like with jeans that’s not an issue as the thin d30 stuff isn’t likely to show.

I literally just got them today, but I'm actually not sure yet! I think I'll leave them in and see how that goes, They're only noticeable when standing up, and even then they just look goofy, they're not super uncomfortable or anything like that.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I am definitely planning on getting a pair this summer when I can actually have some degree of aesthetic preference to my riding gear and not just "what is the warmest thing I can buy for riding in 30's to work and around DC"

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

What's the prevailing wisdom on listening to music/audio while riding? I don't have any interest or need to answer my phone. I might eventually want something for longer rides. I think CA state law allows for 1 earbud/piece. As a new rider, I'm not in a rush to be distracted. Just curious what advice experienced riders would offer.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

mincedgarlic posted:

What's the prevailing wisdom on listening to music/audio while riding? I don't have any interest or need to answer my phone. I might eventually want something for longer rides. I think CA state law allows for 1 earbud/piece. As a new rider, I'm not in a rush to be distracted. Just curious what advice experienced riders would offer.

I have a Cardo Packtalk bold that I use for group rides and very occasionally music on the freeway. I wouldn't use it on twisty roads- when it's skill riding I like to be present and concentrating on what I'm doing, but I'm also a noob.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

mincedgarlic posted:

You'll see a lot of disagreement on this anywhere you ask it, but coming from someone who listens to music about half the time, give yourself a couple thousand miles before you try it, don't do it in traffic when you try it, and start with something that's not too distracting or high energy. You may find you don't like it at all, a lot of people do.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Listening to music while riding really jazzes me up, but I don't generally do it because I will start doing poo poo like kicking down a gear and opening the throttle at the same moment the beat drops and it's loving AWESOME and very stupid.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I can only seem to feel comfortable listening to music like Esplendor Geometrico and Xploding Plastix

No lyrics, just a consistent rhythm. The musical equivalent of white noise (the former is noise).

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I really like music for longer rides, I'll even listen to it on my more spirited canyon rides as I don't even notice it when I'm really paying attention to the road. I also think you should have at least a few thousand miles before you start trying it out. I remember even ear plugs felt weird at first because it felt odd for everything to be muffled. Now it's the opposite, I've found the times I've ended up on the freeway without ear plugs or headphones to be the most distracting.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The only argument I’ll make against listening to music as a new rider is that it’s good to be able to turn it off in a hurry if you encounter an issue, and as someone who’s still learning to operate their bike adding another thing to fiddle with can be troublesome. Even my Cardo’s voice commands are hit or miss sometimes and I have to reach up to my mounted phone to twiddle the volume buttons in bulky gloves.

That said I ride with music when I don’t plan on anything challenging along the way, but it’s a calculated risk.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s really personal preference. I’m in IT (lol what goon isn’t) and I am connected 24x7 either to friends or work or family and it gets exhausting.

I do not answer calls or texts on the bike (I’ll look at my watch to see if it’s my wife, but that’s it) and it is a sanctuary of non-connectedness for me

But that’s just me and my life situation.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s really personal preference. I’m in IT (lol what goon isn’t) and I am connected 24x7 either to friends or work or family and it gets exhausting.

I do not answer calls or texts on the bike (I’ll look at my watch to see if it’s my wife, but that’s it) and it is a sanctuary of non-connectedness for me

But that’s just me and my life situation.

Same boat for me. I have a Cardo Freecom 4. I keep my phone in my jacket so I have to pull over to look at it. I use Scenic for GPS (not perfect, but it let's me do a curvy route, so that's cool).

What I did for people calling is I changed my ringtones for my wife and kids, so I know which rings to answer and which rings to just ignore when I hear them in my helmet, and It's worked out pretty well.
(Especially since my wife and kids never call when I'm on the bike unless it's important.)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sorry what I mean by issue isn't like a phonecall but more like "there's like 40 beavers on the road and I am freaking out and there's death metal blaring in my ear and I'm going into sensory overload trying to handle everything"

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I really need a solution for music, but I would want it to be helmet mounted, and the solutions I have tried all put too much pressure on my ears. Schuberth's native solutions are too expensive to just 'try out'.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

SEKCobra posted:

I really need a solution for music, but I would want it to be helmet mounted, and the solutions I have tried all put too much pressure on my ears. Schuberth's native solutions are too expensive to just 'try out'.

U-Line makes a pair of cheap, really low profile speakers to fit behind the cheek/ear pads and they didn't put any pressure on my ears at all. My helmet has cut outs for them to fit into though. The Cardo I just got has similarly low-profile speakers that dropped right into the same spot, also with no pressure.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

U-Line makes a pair of cheap, really low profile speakers to fit behind the cheek/ear pads and they didn't put any pressure on my ears at all. My helmet has cut outs for them to fit into though. The Cardo I just got has similarly low-profile speakers that dropped right into the same spot, also with no pressure.

There are cutouts in the C3, but I fear my ears might rely on that space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
thousands of harley guys blaring "bad to the bone" can't be wrong