Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Anecdote time!

My in laws in NC got their second Pfizer shot yesterday. Apparently today my MiL (80) was in the bath and couldn't stand up. They ended up having to call 911 to get her out, but then the paramedics just helped her to a chair and peaced out. She seems fine now. No idea if it's related, but she doesn't have a history of this kind of thing to my knowledge. Oddly enough I've never heard my FiL sound happier than the phone call just now. I don't know how they got it so early; I guess age is the only qualifier because they live on a rural farm.

My parents (82 & 86) in the SF bay area haven't been able to get anything yet through Kaiser. Luckily they have no trouble isolating, aside from my 86 year old dad giving no fucks and going to Trader Joe's whenever it suits him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Registrations for vaccination just started in my country. The webpage died in a matter of minutes :lol: Anyways, it seems we can't decide what vaccine to get and my city might be stuck with the Russian one, as I don't think we are considered a large city.

I'll let you all know if communism is a side effect.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Desperado Bones posted:

Registrations for vaccination just started in my country. The webpage died in a matter of minutes :lol: Anyways, it seems we can't decide what vaccine to get and my city might be stuck with the Russian one, as I don't think we are considered a large city.

Putin is gonna be loving annoyed if it is.

Anyway it seems like the UK has completely by accident stumbled into an effective vaccination scheme:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1356689724660981767

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

It turns out there’s an extra 100 million you can squeeze out of the bottle if you get every last drop!

Gonna need you to pay for that first though

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Desperado Bones posted:

They named it Sputnik because much like Russian space program it gets you high af and then kills someone for every achievement

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Things are bad in my local CA county, we have a population larger than the state of Vermont but only 1 vaccine location in our county. For reference Vermont has 55 covid vaccine (not testing) locations.

On to some real doomposting:

Here's a LA mortician on the growing problem of low income households with deceased family and nowhere to send them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdpSgEQKVNE

NBC did a piece on Israel's amazing vaccine rollout, purporting to have everyone age 16+ vaccinated by May. Well VICE also did a piece on Israel's vaccine rollout, instead focusing on how Israel is not vaccinating any Palestinians in their occupied territories. Israel is claiming the 'Palestinian authority' should be responsible for vaccinating their own people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUB5ta8w-4A

According to wikipedia Israel takes 75% of the Palestinian Authority's tax revenue. I hope that puts into perspective the absurdity of Israel claiming the Palestinian territories Israel occupies should fund their own covid vaccine program. The most disgusting part is that Israel is sending vaccines to Israeli settlers in the occupied areas. Only the Israeli settlers get vaccines. Every Palestinian that pays the vast majority of their taxes to Israel is on their own.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

AnnoyBot posted:

My parents (82 & 86) in the SF bay area haven't been able to get anything yet through Kaiser. Luckily they have no trouble isolating, aside from my 86 year old dad giving no fucks and going to Trader Joe's whenever it suits him.

Haha are they in Marin?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Sanctum posted:

NBC did a piece on Israel's amazing vaccine rollout, purporting to have everyone age 16+ vaccinated by May. Well VICE also did a piece on Israel's vaccine rollout, instead focusing on how Israel is not vaccinating any Palestinians in their occupied territories. Israel is claiming the 'Palestinian authority' should be responsible for vaccinating their own people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUB5ta8w-4A

According to wikipedia Israel takes 75% of the Palestinian Authority's tax revenue. I hope that puts into perspective the absurdity of Israel claiming the Palestinian territories Israel occupies should fund their own covid vaccine program. The most disgusting part is that Israel is sending vaccines to Israeli settlers in the occupied areas. Only the Israeli settlers get vaccines. Every Palestinian that pays the vast majority of their taxes to Israel is on their own.

Jesus wept.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FiskTireBoy posted:

So I get it that it makes sense to give vaccinations to the elderly and medical workers first. They are most likely to have severe symptoms and more likely to catch it in the case of health workers.

But part of me feels like it might make more sense to get the vaccine to as many younger healthy people as possible? Because I can see people in their 30s spreading it a lot more than someone in their 80s. All you have to do is go to any restaurant in my red state and you'll see what I mean.

The vaccines are proven to prevent and reduce the severity of the disease.

They are not proven to prevent a person from picking up and transmitting the virus. It is more than likely that they do, but the strength of this effect is unknown.

It’s not a defensible move for public health authorities to prioritize younger adults.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The worst part is that I’m certain as the vaccine rollout picks up, loving assholes will say poo poo like “I’m vaccinated” and show a card so they don’t have to wear a mask while shedding viral loads all over the place.

Just dropping viral loads in everyone’s face, mouth, their drinks, their hands. Gigantic viral loads.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

compshateme85 posted:

Haha are they in Marin?

Peninsula. He had a bad case of shingles a few years ago, so he lowkey welcomes the release of death. He'd probably eat a shotgun barrel if he tested positive, which is ironic because he's healthy and far from fat, so would probably sail through a COVID case.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

jokes posted:

The worst part is that I’m certain as the vaccine rollout picks up, loving assholes will say poo poo like “I’m vaccinated” and show a card so they don’t have to wear a mask while shedding viral loads all over the place.

Just dropping viral loads in everyone’s face, mouth, their drinks, their hands. Gigantic viral loads.

yeah, in some crazy ouroborous of sov cit chud t hinking anti-vaxxers are going to carry that card around

we can only hope that puts a target on their back for other chuds for "selling out" to Big Vax cuz eating each other alive is the next best thing they do

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

FiskTireBoy posted:

So I get it that it makes sense to give vaccinations to the elderly and medical workers first. They are most likely to have severe symptoms and more likely to catch it in the case of health workers.

But part of me feels like it might make more sense to get the vaccine to as many younger healthy people as possible? Because I can see people in their 30s spreading it a lot more than someone in their 80s. All you have to do is go to any restaurant in my red state and you'll see what I mean.

here's a hint for why the young aren't getting vaccinated; the elderly seem to vote for a certain party

like here in covida Desantis has made it so all vaccine appointments can only be made through Publix, which donated to his campaign, if you are 65+ years or are directly in health care. Also Hillsborough county, which is more liberal than the rest of the state, for some reason has not received any vaccine sites yet with the majority of vaccination centers in counties that voted republican :magemage:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020

jokes posted:

Droppin viral loadssss

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

loving young people man

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

AnnoyBot posted:

Peninsula. He had a bad case of shingles a few years ago, so he lowkey welcomes the release of death. He'd probably eat a shotgun barrel if he tested positive, which is ironic because he's healthy and far from fat, so would probably sail through a COVID case.

I heard you can sign up for the vaccine either through Sutter Health or through Stanford without being a member of them, even though their website mentions you need to be a member. You just need to make an account online. A friend said their parent was able to do that and people mention it working on nextdoor as well. My parents just got theirs today :toot:, though not through either of those providers.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 3, 2021

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

So apparently the Sputnik vaccine is effective:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/russia...ons-11612269047

I am wary of some organization named Russian Direct Investment fund being involved but would Lancet publish bullshit?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

district of thizz posted:

So apparently the Sputnik vaccine is effective:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/russia...ons-11612269047

I am wary of some organization named Russian Direct Investment fund being involved but would Lancet publish bullshit?

I still don't trust it

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Desperate Character posted:

here's a hint for why the young aren't getting vaccinated; the elderly seem to vote for a certain party

like here in covida Desantis has made it so all vaccine appointments can only be made through Publix, which donated to his campaign, if you are 65+ years or are directly in health care. Also Hillsborough county, which is more liberal than the rest of the state, for some reason has not received any vaccine sites yet with the majority of vaccination centers in counties that voted republican :magemage:

Publix is like one of the few things I miss about Florida but it really sounds like they're going hardcore right these days. I used to work there in high school too and always had fond feelings for where working is a pleasure.

My dad is still in Pinellas and was able to make his appointment through his doctor at least. He's 67. Supposed to get the second this weekend.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Pain of Mind posted:

It just seems odd to me that someone in close contact with a ton of people staying home sick with classic Covid symptoms does not lead to any sort of precautionary measures until the positive test.
That's nuts. My county's health department requires nurses like myself to follow up on symptoms for anyone calling out sick and report to them any "clusters of undiagnosed respiratory illness" so they can shut down a classroom before test results if needed.

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

Fargin Icehole posted:

I still don't trust it

Oh yea, I’m pretty skeptical because Russia. Not a medical professional but I read through posted article and something directly from lancet https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00191-4/fulltext

Fake edit: oh ok, just read the Wikipedia article on Lancet. Didn’t know the vaccine causing autism study and more recently hydroxychloroquine crap was published there.

Mr_Companie
Jul 4, 2003

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN AN EXCITING BUISNESS OPPROTUNITY?

AnnoyBot posted:

Check appointments in the outlying counties, sometimes there are cancellations. My mom was able to get my grandpa and two aunts appointments in the last two days, I think one in Alameda and two in Contra Costa counties. Washington Hospital and Haller's Pharmacy in Fremont are the non-kaiser facilities I've heard of accepting appointments.

Mr_Companie fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 3, 2021

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Pain of Mind posted:

I heard you can sign up for the vaccine either through Sutter Health or through Stanford without being a member of them, even though their website mentions you need to be a member. You just need to make an account online. A friend said their parent was able to do that and people mention it working on nextdoor as well. My parents just got theirs today :toot:, though not through either of those providers.

This! You definitely don't have to be a Stanford patient. Unsure about Sutter.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I already got Pfizer but uh....I wouldn't trust Sputnik V until they start giving em at the next Yuri's Night

and even then it's probably vodka (in which case shoot it right into my veins)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

district of thizz posted:

Oh yea, I’m pretty skeptical because Russia. Not a medical professional but I read through posted article and something directly from lancet https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00191-4/fulltext

Fake edit: oh ok, just read the Wikipedia article on Lancet. Didn’t know the vaccine causing autism study and more recently hydroxychloroquine crap was published there.

The Lancet is one of the most reputable medical journals in the world. Having a couple of dud articles that get retracted is not unusual but it's had a higher profile due to how high impact the journal is.

I can name you any number of other journals which would happily publish my seminal research paper on how communism turns you gay for a low low price of $500, no questions asked.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

FiskTireBoy posted:

I think the political implications of this would be terrible for whoever proposed it, without considering whether it would work or not.

Comparably, some modelling my colleagues have done show that targetting people with large families in cities would be a good strategy if you presume that the vaccination hinders spread. Whether that is true or not, doing something that would in practice be preferential vaccination of immigrant communities would be pretty much political suicide.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Melbourne Australia just got some local spread with a hotel quarantine worker popping positive even though there were no breaches of infection control protocols that they could find after scouring all the CCTV footage. The current theory is that the UK strain is so transmissible that it'll sneak out and go hunting for more people if you just open the door

quote:

Emergency Services Minister Lisa Neville said the "working assumption" was that the viral load of one of the family groups was so high, the virus had travelled through the hotel just by the family opening the door to get food or drop off laundry.

She said one of the positive cases told authorities she remembered opening the door at the same time as someone else on the floor, which was being looked at as a possible source of transmission.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-03/victoria-investigating-possible-coronavirus-spread-in-quarantine/13117828

Severedseven
Jun 6, 2007

Heavy and light

amethystbliss posted:

That's nuts. My county's health department requires nurses like myself to follow up on symptoms for anyone calling out sick and report to them any "clusters of undiagnosed respiratory illness" so they can shut down a classroom before test results if needed.

My county didn't contact me until 10 days after my positive test results came back. As well I got my letter from the county telling me that I should quarantine 1 day before my quarantine end date.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Melbourne Australia just got some local spread with a hotel quarantine worker popping positive even though there were no breaches of infection control protocols that they could find after scouring all the CCTV footage. The current theory is that the UK strain is so transmissible that it'll sneak out and go hunting for more people if you just open the door

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-03/victoria-investigating-possible-coronavirus-spread-in-quarantine/13117828

Sound like they're grasping for straws while the worker actually caught it in a secret gay sex party on the bad side of town and is too ashamed to mention.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/BalancePowerUK/status/1356938678195675139

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

...The current theory is that the UK strain is so transmissible that it'll sneak out and go hunting for more people if you just open the door

Immediately closed the windows

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
LOLing at these "major precautions".

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1356577934962753536

We tested the barber!! No we didn't wait for the results, why would we do that???

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Can someone give me a link to reliable n95s in bulk? I know there's plenty earlier in the thread, but no idea how many tens or hundreds of pages ago.

Still the better assumption that anything on Amazon is counterfeit?

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

We tested the barber!! No we didn't wait for the results, why would we do that???

Alright, Touchdown Tom will get his lucky number seven now!!!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

These reports showing that the AZ vaccine substantially reduced transmission are a good sign. Have we seen any studies on Pfizer or Moderna yet?

https://twitter.com/ashishkjha/status/1356983264599138306?s=21

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lol my workplace had a very similar issue, why would we need to wait for the results before sending someone back to work???

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020
So apparently there's supposed to be 25,000 people in the stadiums at the Superb Owl. I think most are supposed to be vaccinated health care workers? I guess we'll have a good sample size to see how well the vaccine works against the new varients?

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

Sono posted:

Can someone give me a link to reliable n95s in bulk? I know there's plenty earlier in the thread, but no idea how many tens or hundreds of pages ago.

Still the better assumption that anything on Amazon is counterfeit?

this site has a few different types of n95s and kn95s

https://bonafidemasks.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Costco sells kn95s in bulk