Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ばか みたい

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Is that My-Face-Is-Up-Here-Woman?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

MH Knights posted:

She's wearing pants that say "I'm with stupid"

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

MH Knights posted:

That's Light Lass from the Legion of Superheroes! That version of the character (and there have been several thanks to the various DC reboots) has gravity manipulation powers letting her make things light or weightless.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

jng2058 posted:

That's Light Lass from the Legion of Superheroes! That version of the character (and there have been several thanks to the various DC reboots) has gravity manipulation powers letting her make things light or weightless.

Oh that explains it.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Yardbomb posted:

Listen, I just want a Kingdom Come movie complete with Shazam's huge dick looming over Superman looking square on in distress right in the center of the shot multiple times, if the movie has to be rated R then god wills it.

From the Online Creators thread. I like the implication that Superman thinks of Marvel's package as "Armageddon".

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 3, 2021

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Banner Comics #5 (1942)

Flaming Carrot Comics #11 (1986)

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Holy drat. Just from that second picture you can tell Alex Ross must have never worked for UPS because of how lovingly and carefully he handled that package.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

SimonChris posted:

From the Online Creators thread. I like the implication that Superman thinks of Marvel's package as "Armageddon".

"Captain Marvel is thrusting in the direction of the Armageddon!"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not hiring Jon Hamm to play Shazam was a mistake

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Blue Beetle #12 (1942)

Power Man #65 (1980)

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Darthemed posted:

Flaming Carrot Comics #11 (1986)

The Carrot should be on every page of this thread.

Flaming Carrot Comics #12

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Darthemed posted:

The Blue Beetle #12 (1942)

This couldn’t be taken for granted back then - I think the last issue of the original Captain America run was a horror anthology that just had Cap’s name on the cover.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

And didn’t golden age Green Lantern get slowly pushed out of his own book by a crime solving dog?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

And didn’t golden age Green Lantern get slowly pushed out of his own book by a crime solving dog?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

i would like more details

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Apparently Streak the Wonder Dog only replaced GL on the covers for three issues. They still published Green Lantern stories, he just wasn’t the cover feature for a few issues.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

He was already second banana in the book to a Brooklyn cab driver turned sidekick named Doiby Dickles, then a woman sidekick named Harlequin, and then his book got turned into All Star Western out of nowhere.

The Golden Age was wild - books changed concepts and titles on a whim. My all time favorite was Moon Girl. Started out as a fantasy title Moon Girl and the Prince for one issue, then suddenly changed to Moon Girl for 5 issues because superheroes sold better, then suddenly changed to Moon Girl Fights Crime! for 3 issues because crime comics were the rage. But romance comics sold even better, so it changed YET AGAIN to A Moon, A Girl... Romance! But it STILL wasn’t done because EC saw that horror comics were the big money seller, so it became Weird Fantasy with issue 13. 5 title and genre changes in 13 issues!!!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GPTribefan posted:

He was already second banana in the book to a Brooklyn cab driver turned sidekick named Doiby Dickles, then a woman sidekick named Harlequin, and then his book got turned into All Star Western out of nowhere.

The Golden Age was wild - books changed concepts and titles on a whim. My all time favorite was Moon Girl. Started out as a fantasy title Moon Girl and the Prince for one issues, then suddenly changed to Moon Girl for 5 issues because superheroes sold better, then suddenly changed to Moon Girl Fights Crime! for 3 issues because crime comics were the rage. But romance comics sold better, so it changed YET AGAIN to A Moon, A Girl... Romance! But it wasn’t some because EC saw that horror comics were the big money seller, so it became Weird Fantasy with issue 13. 5 title and genre changes in 13 issues!!!

When did the Devil Dinosaur get involved?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Streak the Wonder Dog! debuted in Green Lantern #30 - haha look at the funny dog trying to bank a bone.

Streak appeared in issue #32 but forget that, here's Streak in #34 hurdling perilous obstacles!

Streak was in #35 but some Green Lantern story was on the cover so we're skipping straight to #36 for Streak leaping into the crossfire!

Issue #38 was Streak's next cover, and incidentally it's also the final issue of this Green Lantern. The last issue of The Green Lantern doesn't even have the Green Lantern on the cover, but it did offer a DOG HERO PRIZE

The creators of Streak would then go on to reboot the concept as Rex the Wonder Dog in a series which lasted longer than the original Green Lantern's.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

GPTribefan posted:

The Golden Age was wild - books changed concepts and titles on a whim. My all time favorite was Moon Girl. Started out as a fantasy title Moon Girl and the Prince for one issue, then suddenly changed to Moon Girl for 5 issues because superheroes sold better, then suddenly changed to Moon Girl Fights Crime! for 3 issues because crime comics were the rage. But romance comics sold even better, so it changed YET AGAIN to A Moon, A Girl... Romance! But it STILL wasn’t done because EC saw that horror comics were the big money seller, so it became Weird Fantasy with issue 13. 5 title and genre changes in 13 issues!!!

I don't know about DC and EC comics, but for Marvel (or whatever they were called back then) they were only allowed a certain number of books at a time. Which is why so many Marvel characters didn't have their own titles until like the 70s.

Honestly after trying to run down entire series for recent comics, I'd rather get a few issues of Streak the Wonder Dog instead of them constantly ending a book after 14 issues only to start it again 6 months later with a new number 1 which I then have to track down.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

Streak the Wonder Dog! debuted in Green Lantern #30 - haha look at the funny dog trying to bank a bone.

Never mind the dog, what kind of a workout does Green Lantern do to get those tiny little abs?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Esplanade posted:

Never mind the dog, what kind of a workout does Green Lantern do to get those tiny little abs?

He's just been doing his shopping. Where else would he put the egg carton - his pockets?

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Bucnasti posted:

I don't know about DC and EC comics, but for Marvel (or whatever they were called back then) they were only allowed a certain number of books at a time. Which is why so many Marvel characters didn't have their own titles until like the 70s.

Honestly after trying to run down entire series for recent comics, I'd rather get a few issues of Streak the Wonder Dog instead of them constantly ending a book after 14 issues only to start it again 6 months later with a new number 1 which I then have to track down.

There was only one distributor in this time period - it was a monopoly. The one distributor also happened to own DC; so DC was allowed to publish unlimited titles, whereas Marvel was only allowed a limited number of slots. (The distribution company had to give Marvel some slots because antitrust laws were being enforced a lot more aggressively back then and they didn't want to get in legal trouble about a total ban.) I don't think this mattered to EC because by the time the monopoly existed, they were only publishing Mad anyway, but I don't remember the exact timeline of that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Esplanade posted:

Cosmetic Sorcery

https://www.oglaf.com/buttocks/

:nws:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

House of M

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bucnasti posted:

Marvel wasn't running comics off of National's presses until the mid-50's.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Esplanade posted:

as an artist sometimes you have to ask yourself "how do i tell the audience he's six pack ripped when his old timey pants cover half his torso?"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ancient Popeye from the 30's

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

ancient Popeye from the 30's

Popeye's a loving freemason?

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Popeye's a loving freemason?

tubalcain

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Whiz Comics #31 (1942)

Ghost Manor #35 (1978)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GPTribefan posted:

You would also see this with newspaper comic strips where a new character shows up and becomes so popular that the original star gets kind of pushed into the background and/or eventually removed. Popeye, Nancy and Snuffy Smith were all later additions that supplanted the original star of their strips.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Wait who was the original Nancy character?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Wait who was the original Nancy character?

Fritzi

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Infinitum posted:

House of M

That Emma and Scott?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Skwirl posted:

That Emma and Scott?

It is.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007